Lakers should encourage Lonzo to change shot now ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Lakers should encourage Lonzo to change shot now ?

I don't see how it would hurt. At this point, I cannot see how changing his shot can make his shot any worst. He's already at rock bottom and should take advantage of the professional help around him. I wish the Lakers organization and or Lonzo would change their approach on this. I see no reason that many of those wide open shots he's constantly missing cannot go in with a better mechanical and mental approach.

Additionally, for those who say let's just wait it out because it's all mental. I say, a change of shot would not just help his long range shots but also those in between shots that will ultimately contribute to a higher percentage of makes. His current shot doesnt just limit his long range shooting but voids him of a mid range / in between / post game. Let's start the experiment now and make him better.

I don't see much risk in doing so.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:

You don't change a shot mid season
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

It is what is right now. There isn't much changing it at this point. Gotta wait till the next offseason and more to change his shot.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

/thread
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

I would recommend medical marijuana, and if that still isn't legal in the NBA, then I'd tell him to shoot from the NCAA 3 pt line. Who cares about TS%... better if he makes long twos than consistently misses the threes.
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
It is what is right now. There isn't much changing it at this point. Gotta wait till the next offseason and more to change his shot.

Actually, they don't have to wait. Lonzo is missing wide open shots constantly. Someone helping him shoot better isn't going to mess up his 30% shooting percentage.

Imagine next game Lonzo comes out with a clean up and down shot and starts to knock down shots. What's the worse that could happen? His new shooting form doesn't work and he goes back to his old?

If I was Lonzo, I would be open to anyone that could help me get better. Theres no reason Lonzo has to shoot that way other than developing a bad habit at a young age. It's holding his game back.

Change it.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Just have to tough it out for the whole season. We have to make absolutely sure that he simply cannot make shots with his current form. Right now, the sample size is still small. Besides, you can't just change to new form and expect results immediately. Changing shooting form is a very serious matter and only be considered as a last resort.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

He already stated he will look into it in the offseason. But basically like they said, can’t change the shot mid season.

I do think there’s a lot of balance issues and other small issues he can clean up. Like not shooting fall away 3’s. He has a bad habit of not stepping into his shot.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Can someone teach him how to make a layup?
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
In his case, why the heck not? Dude is shooting almost less than 30% from the field and 20 some % from 3, less than 50% from the FT line, I mean how much worst could it be?
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:

You can't start that change during his rookie season. So many other things a young one and done kid has to acclimate to with the NBA game, completely tearing down his shot is not in the cards. You think he's hesitant now? Wait until you try to have him change his shot 18 games into the season. The one thing they can have him improve on is finishing in the paint - he does not need to change his shooting stroke for that, just change how he attacks.

The kid does so many other things well - some at elite level. You can pretty much count on Lonzo being a league leader in assists and also rebounds for a guard. His defense is extremely good for a rookie. He's tall, pretty athletic, and extremely sound with some very important fundamentals. Ohh, and his court vision and ball movement is elite, too. His team defense is excellent. The kids hoop IQ is very, very high.

It's gonna take some time - years - for Lonzo to mature into the player he will be. But the baseline things he is very good at now are enough to offset his terrible shooting form and shooting period.

I cannot remember a more unique player than Lonzo. Such high hoop IQ in so many areas, yet his offensive game scoring for himself are as rough as I can remember for an NBA guard. His shot mechanics are so messed up, there is no way he will shoot consistently well with how his shot is currently constructed. But you don't break that down and change that now - you let him build confidence in his entire game playing in NBA games and once he has the first year kinks settled in those common rookie areas, then you start to work on his shot mechanics. In the summer.

Jake Speed, 1986

Last edited by TEEGUNN on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

I have always heard this, but I heard Rod Strickland on radio this week, and he said the opposite...he suggested the Lakers should begin changing it immediately. Then I thought about Josh Jackson at Kansas last year....who changed or significantly tweaked his shot during the season and he went from shooting around 25% from 3.....to finishing the season @ almost a 40% 3 point shooter. That was a huge improvement which required him to shoot at near a 50% clip during the second half of the season to bring it up that much.
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

LOLOL. Yeah, we don't want him to destroy his 30% shooting. God forbid that happens.
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:
He already stated he will look into it in the offseason. But basically like they said, can’t change the shot mid season.

I do think there’s a lot of balance issues and other small issues he can clean up. Like not shooting fall away 3’s. He has a bad habit of not stepping into his shot.

I agree.
I play basketball. Trust me, a shooting form determines a lot. You want your shooting form to give you as much freedom as possible to put the ball in the basket. You want a quick and clean motion that lends itself to scoring a variety of ways. The ugly hitch that Lonzo has needs to go if he wants to take advantage of the many different ways he can score.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
defense wrote:

I have always heard this, but I heard Rod Strickland on radio this week, and he said the opposite...he suggested the Lakers should begin changing it immediately. Then I thought about Josh Jackson at Kansas last year....who changed or significantly tweaked his shot during the season and he went from shooting around 25% from 3.....to finishing the season @ almost a 40% 3 point shooter. That was a huge improvement which required him to shoot at near a 50% clip during the second half of the season to bring it up that much.

Tweak and change are two different things. There's a chance he pulls himself out of the slump shooting the way he has his entire life. I can all but guarantee you he struggles the entire season if they change that shot because it won't be a minor change.
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I kinda agree that this will probably happen in the off season...but selfishly I would like to see him experiment a little with a different shot this year. But if I'm being honest as possible, Lonzo shot is probably so ingrained in him, that it might be a mistake to get him to change it now.. after all, it takes a lot of work to develop an unorthodox shot like that...and I suspect it came from him trying to shoot far out as a kid when he lacked power...it's a child like shot that he kept despite the improper Mechanics.

If Lonzo is gonna get better, he need to change it,imo. That shot gotta go or It will destroy his career before it begins.

Last edited by fusuyballer on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
If Lonzo is gonna get better, he need to change it,imo. That shot gotta go or It will destroy his career before to begins.

I think it will definitely limit his career....even if he improves his %'s, he cannot get that shot off from any place on the court....so that makes me think best case scenario is it would not allow him to reach full potential.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Actually, they don't have to wait. Lonzo is missing wide open shots constantly. Someone helping him shoot better isn't going to mess up his 30% shooting percentage.

Imagine next game Lonzo comes out with a clean up and down shot and starts to knock down shots. What's the worse that could happen? His new shooting form doesn't work and he goes back to his old?

If I was Lonzo, I would be open to anyone that could help me get better. Theres no reason Lonzo has to shoot that way other than developing a bad habit at a young age. It's holding his game back.

Change it.

The worse thing that happens is that thinking about the new shooting form screws up other elements of his game because he's not playing in a natural way and he's too much in his head.

I don't think you try to teach an 18 year old a new way of shooting midway through his NBA rookie season.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Change it.

You don’t know basketball sir. Day one of the offseason is when that work begins, not now. Just listen to posters here that know. There’s nothing wrong with being wrong. You’ve got more to learn.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject:

Yeah, i don't see why not. If someone is athletic, well coordinated and has the arm strength no reason not to try to alter it to the proper shooting form. At least start trying in practice.

The shot as is, is not working. there's a reason he's shooting such a low percentage, cause the shooting motion is flawed. Doesn't hurt to change something that's already messed up.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Can someone teach him how to make a layup?

Tony Parker would be my vote.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2thWy-9aqng
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
defense wrote:

I don't agree with it either... it's like, if you don't change it, he'll shoot 27% from 3. And if you do, he'll shoot 20%. Welp, just get all the bad over with quicker and change the shot.
Josh Jackson's was a pretty minor tweak though https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aXGvordhj7c the old form at 3:15, vs the new form late in the vid. They took out a little hitch.. Lonzo needs a night/day form change. I'd still do it now, he's going to struggle either way. And our staff has kind of proven with Ingram that a summer isn't enough time to fix a shot, start as soon as possible
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject:

Ask him to change it in his 3rd year.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
I would recommend medical marijuana, and if that still isn't legal in the NBA, then I'd tell him to shoot from the NCAA 3 pt line. Who cares about TS%... better if he makes long twos than consistently misses the threes.

I would recommend heroine. Or PED's. Or both.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject:

No time to change it now, he's better off just working layup and freethrow drills to improve those for the short term.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: