Lakers should encourage Lonzo to change shot now ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject:

Well, Lonzo's gone on record saying Brian Shaw helped him play better by going after the rebounds.

Shaw was a great shooter (for his era, of course). Since there's a bond there already, he could be the one helping Lonzo with that.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject:

Great shooters don't always make great shooting coaches. Probably more often than not they dont.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Great shooters don't always make great shooting coaches. Probably more often than not they dont.

yeah, but BShaq is already a good coach who has Lonzo's trust and ear, I don't see why not try.
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
It is what is right now. There isn't much changing it at this point. Gotta wait till the next offseason and more to change his shot.

Actually, they don't have to wait. Lonzo is missing wide open shots constantly. Someone helping him shoot better isn't going to mess up his 30% shooting percentage.

Imagine next game Lonzo comes out with a clean up and down shot and starts to knock down shots. What's the worse that could happen? His new shooting form doesn't work and he goes back to his old?

If I was Lonzo, I would be open to anyone that could help me get better. Theres no reason Lonzo has to shoot that way other than developing a bad habit at a young age. It's holding his game back.

Change it.

You don’t know basketball sir. Day one of the offseason is when that work begins, not now. Just listen to posters here that know. There’s nothing wrong with being wrong. You’ve got more to learn.

Lmao... Always one poster that will attack you for having an opinion on here. Gotta love Lakers ground and these wheelchair experts. Like most professional sport fans, most of you bums never actually played a sport in your life but you got so much to say..I don't take y'all serious..haha
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
It is what is right now. There isn't much changing it at this point. Gotta wait till the next offseason and more to change his shot.

Actually, they don't have to wait. Lonzo is missing wide open shots constantly. Someone helping him shoot better isn't going to mess up his 30% shooting percentage.

Imagine next game Lonzo comes out with a clean up and down shot and starts to knock down shots. What's the worse that could happen? His new shooting form doesn't work and he goes back to his old?

If I was Lonzo, I would be open to anyone that could help me get better. Theres no reason Lonzo has to shoot that way other than developing a bad habit at a young age. It's holding his game back.

Change it.

You don’t know basketball sir. Day one of the offseason is when that work begins, not now. Just listen to posters here that know. There’s nothing wrong with being wrong. You’ve got more to learn.

Is that really necessary? Shape up.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

He's already learning a lot this year (and he's doing a great job passing, rebounding and defending).
Let's wait until next summer.
JayLida
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Change it.

LG Advanced scoutning department at its best.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Change it.

Lmao... Always one poster that will attack you for having an opinion on here. Gotta love Lakers ground and these wheelchair experts. Like most professional sport fans, most of you bums never actually played a sport in your life but you got so much to say..I don't take y'all serious..haha

How did it go from one poster to most of you bums?
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Change it.

Is that really necessary? Shape up.

Duly noted. Should’ve just stayed away from this one or any other thread that asks questions with obvious answers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

I would leave that to the professionals. Hopefully a guy at 23 won’t be the guy at 19.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Change it.

My bad. The reality is that the answer to your question is a resounding no.

A jumpshot can be tweaked during the season, and I’m sure he’s subtly doing that, but reworking a jumpshot is something else entirely. It’s a bad idea, a really bad one, actually, but not deserving on condescension. My apologies dude.
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Change it.

I believe most of sport fans (including ) many posters on here are bums when it comes to actually doing something athletic. So, yes, I find it laughable when people attack people for having an opinion on basketball when I have played my whole life. I understand the game from a conceptual stand point but also have a lot of experience. How many posters here actually play any sports? In decent shape? Actually have real experience playing basketball or any sport half decently?

So, yes, I find it laughable how many of these bums on here conduct themselves when it comes to others having an opinion. These are the same bums who think they can coach better than Bryon Scott or that he is incompetent ....while the only hoop they have ever dunked is in a glass of milk.
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

If Lonzo continues to shoot this way, he will not become a better catch-and-shoot player OR one-on-one player OR post-up player OR mid-range player OR...you get the point.

Much to the chagrin of Lakers Nation, changing his shot can possibly hurt other facets of his game. But on the flip side, it can actually improve many important aspects of his game like his footwork. When a player (especially a rookie) is shooting historic lows from the field, you make the change immediately.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

They are doing the right thing. You don't change someone's shot mid season. There's not enough time to work on things. The schedule is demanding and there are a lot of things involved. It's easy for an armchair athlete to say, well he should just change it now. But do you really have any idea how much time and effort it would take to start something like that?

When you're watching boxing or mma and the person is clearly losing, how come many times they can't just "swing for the fences" and knock try to knock the other person out? Because that wasn't the way they trained and game planned for their opponent. You can't change training, muscle memory, and repetition over night. You have to train for it all over again.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Change it.

I believe most of sport fans (including ) many posters on here are bums when it comes to actually doing something athletic. So, yes, I find it laughable when people attack people for having an opinion on basketball when I have played my whole life. I understand the game from a conceptual stand point but also have a lot of experience. How many posters here actually play any sports? In decent shape? Actually have real experience playing basketball or any sport half decently?

So, yes, I find it laughable how many of these bums on here conduct themselves when it comes to others having an opinion. These are the same bums who think they can coach better than Bryon Scott or that he is incompetent ....while the only hoop they have ever dunked is in a glass of milk.

It’s funny because, honestly, when I read your original post, I emphatically assumed you had never played the game before. I nearly included that in my response.

I’m pretty sure you’re right about many having never played ball competitively, but, I assure you, youre barking up the wrong tree here.

Don’t let the movie “The Super” fool you dude. Me and my sons breathe ball. I coach ball, play ball, watch ball, and have been doing these (except coaching) for decades nd decades.

That’s not important though. What is important is how can a seasoned ball player like yourself not know that you can’t rework Ball’s shot in season?

The problem for Ball has always been not that his shot was ugly, but that his shot was ugly and went in at a high clip in college and high school. Because his jumpshot went in so much, he’s never had to rework it until now.

My point is that his shot, because of past success, is completely engrained into his muscle memory. There is no hope of reworking that thing right now. As everyone has said, that work happens in the offseason. Right now, he tweaks his shot to see if he can regain the form and success he experienced on the amateur level.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

joe coming in hot on this wednesday morning
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Change it.

See, that's what happens when you try to change your style mid-season. You tried to blame only one poster but didn't have enough time to train, reverted to your true form, & ended up calling everyone bums. Best wait for the off-season and try it again. Good effort though!
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

I love it when someone on here starts with “I play basketball” so...

Hahaha.
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
They are doing the right thing. You don't change someone's shot mid season. There's not enough time to work on things. The schedule is demanding and there are a lot of things involved. It's easy for an armchair athlete to say, well he should just change it now. But do you really have any idea how much time and effort it would take to start something like that?

When you're watching boxing or mma and the person is clearly losing, how come many times they can't just "swing for the fences" and knock try to knock the other person out? Because that wasn't the way they trained and game planned for their opponent. You can't change training, muscle memory, and repetition over night. You have to train for it all over again.

If something is clearly not working and affecting your overall performance, you wouldn't change it now just because it would be difficult?

We are not talking about in-game adjustments for a veteran but changes during practice and one-on-one sessions for a ROOKIE that can be seen in-game. Truly great athletes always talk of the many transformations to their game, how they changed this and that, and made so many adjustments (even game time) to improve. I just don't understand the fear from many in regards to Lonzo attempting to change his shot.

I'm pondering, maybe this is a question of "Should the Lakers do what's in their best interest now to make the others better?" or "Should the Lakers do what's in their best interest now to make Lonzo better?"
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

isn't a glass of milk more like a cylinder than it is a hoop?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

I'll also have you know that I TEAR KIDS UP at 24 hour fitness all day long. You don't even want to see me at an LA fitness.

joe can attest
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:

Why would you choose to share your opinion w/ bums though? Isn't it a waste of your time?

Isn't that like ordering a pizza from Lil Caesars and complaining how it's not like real pizza from Naples, Italy?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

If something is clearly not working and affecting your overall performance, you wouldn't change it now just because it would be difficult?

We are not talking about in-game adjustments for a veteran but changes during practice and one-on-one sessions for a ROOKIE that can be seen in-game. Truly great athletes always talk of the many transformations to their game, how they changed this and that, and made so many adjustments (even game time) to improve. I just don't understand the fear from many in regards to Lonzo attempting to change his shot.

I'm pondering, maybe this is a question of "Should the Lakers do what's in their best interest now to make the others better?" or "Should the Lakers do what's in their best interest now to make Lonzo better?"

I'll give you an example. Let's say the Lakers next game is Sunday. Lonzo starts changing his shot today.

It's not going to be ready by Sunday. What form does he use on Sunday? Even if he goes into the game on Sunday trying to use the new form, he's going to slowly revert to using his old form because that's what comes natural to him.

So now what? He practices a new form during off days and during the games, he's going to be using something of a mix between his new form and old form. That's going to be a worse situation because it's going to be confusing and could create bad habits.

It's just better in the offseason when he can just practice a new form everyday for 3 months. Then it'll become more natural to him.

I don't know if you've ever tried to change your shooting form but it takes a long time for it to become natural. In the time that you're trying to change your form, you shouldn't be trying to play competitively or you'll just revert to using your old form in the heat of battle.

When you change your form, what you're doing is trying to get rid of all of your bad habits and develop new good habits.

If you're doing that in season while you're still competing, it makes it hard to get rid of the bad habits. So now you'll have a mixture of old bad habits and new good habits.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
nshid wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I'll give you an example. Let's say the Lakers next game is Sunday. Lonzo starts changing his shot today.

It's not going to be ready by Sunday. What form does he use on Sunday? Even if he goes into the game on Sunday trying to use the new form, he's going to slowly revert to using his old form because that's what comes natural to him.

So now what? He practices a new form during off days and during the games, he's going to be using something of his new form and old form. That's going to be a worse situation because it's going to be confusing and could create bad habits.

It's just better in the offseason when he can just practice a new form everyday for 3 months. Then it'll become more natural to him.

I don't know if you've ever tried to change your shooting form but it takes a long time for it to become natural. In the time that you're trying to change your form, you shouldn't be trying to play competitively or you'll just revert to using your old form in the heat of battle.

People work on new moves all the time in practice and don't use them game-time until an opportunity presents itself.

But if he has no problem practicing in-game going 3 for 13 attempting eight treys, I'm sure he would have no problem practicing a better shooting form in-game without us noticing
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nshid wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

So now what? He practices a new form during off days and during the games, he's going to be using something of his new form and old form. That's going to be a worse situation because it's going to be confusing and could create bad habits.

People work on new moves all the time in practice and don't use them game-time until an opportunity presents itself.

But if he has no problem practicing in-game going 3 for 13 attempting eight treys, I'm sure he would have no problem practicing a better shooting form in-game without us noticing

New moves are different because you don't use new moves in the game. But your shooting form, you use during the game.

If he were to practice shooting left handed right now, that wouldn't be an issue because he doesn't shoot lefthanded during the games. So he can just keep on practicing until he's ready to use it during the game.

But his form right now where he brings it left to right, that's natural to him. A shooting coach would try to get him to get rid of that.

Now during the games, he's going to have to actively concentrate on trying not to instinctively bring it left to right.

But sometime during the game, he's going to revert to the old form of bringing it left to right.

And somehow his shot will become a mixture of the old form and the new form if he works on it during the season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: