What Could Have Happened if Lakers Tried to Change Lonzo's shot

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: What Could Have Happened if Lakers Tried to Change Lonzo's shot

76ers Changing Markelle Fultz's Shot and Its Results
http://uproxx.com/dimemag/markelle-fultz-sixers-return-basketball-activity-minimal/

But at the same time, it’s really weird that there still seems to be no timetable for when the perceived top player in the last draft is going to be able to suit up due to a mysterious shoulder injury that seemingly came from changing the way he shot the ball and Monstar’d his talent away from him.

-

Magic, Rob and Luke were wise in not trying to change Lonzo's shooting before this season.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject:

His new form causing a shoulder issue is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Regarding Lonzo - if a player is shooting 25% from 3 for an extended period of time(maybe Lonzo's sample size isn't large enough) - then you might as well change their form ASAP because they really can't shoot any worse. There are exceptions to every rule - including the "don't change a form in-season" rule
lakersfan85
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Regarding Lonzo - if a player is shooting 25% from 3 for an extended period of time(maybe Lonzo's sample size isn't large enough) - then you might as well change their form ASAP because they really can't shoot any worse. There are exceptions to every rule - including the "don't change a form in-season" rule

it takes in insane amount of reps to change a shot. that is not possible in the season and playing in games during that process can be harmful to the finished product. Even changing a shot in an off season is difficult and during that time you can put up thousands of shots a day.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

I just want to his shot to look like it did at UCLA when it went in a lot.

I really think his shooting woes are based on nerves at this point. He is playing tight. He will get over it with more experience.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

I suspect the Lakers were going to let him play through it this year, then work on it in the summer. Curious is the NBA ball and College ball different?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
I suspect the Lakers were going to let him play through it this year, then work on it in the summer. Curious is the NBA ball and College ball different?

It is.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan85 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

it takes in insane amount of reps to change a shot. that is not possible in the season and playing in games during that process can be harmful to the finished product. Even changing a shot in an off season is difficult and during that time you can put up thousands of shots a day.

Eh he didn't have this awkward shot in high school, it looked alright back then wonder what changed.
https://streamable.com/7zz6j
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
I suspect the Lakers were going to let him play through it this year, then work on it in the summer.

As badly as he's shooting now, I'd say that the better approach would be to see if he can work his way out of it in the next couple of weeks. And if he can't, start overhauling it now - he can't shoot much worse
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

The worse that could happen? Besides losing everything he's worked for and questioning his desire to play basketball and become a rapper and celebrity instead? 😂. The worse that could happen is he stays the worst shooter in NBA history. I think he'll figure it out on his own, but if the coaches think he needs to change his shot this off season I'm all for it. I ain't no shooting coach.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What Could Have Happened if Lakers Tried to Change Lonzo's shot

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
http://uproxx.com/dimemag/markelle-fultz-sixers-return-basketball-activity-minimal/

But at the same time, it’s really weird that there still seems to be no timetable for when the perceived top player in the last draft is going to be able to suit up due to a mysterious shoulder injury that seemingly came from changing the way he shot the ball and Monstar’d his talent away from him.

-

Magic, Rob and Luke were wise in not trying to change Lonzo's shooting before this season.
this is a bad example to use to defend the idea that zo should wait til the summer to fix that shot. fultz is hurt. his shot was just fine before that injury.

now sure there are always tweaks that need to be made. ask JJ reddick. his shot isnt exactly the same as it was in college and he was money green back in his ncaa days. you should always get better. BUT. futlz's shot was not so bad he needed to switch it up asap. he was hurt. he needed to sit down and get work in on that shoulder.

to Zo... its not his bad mechanics thats making him miss the same nba shots he was hitting in a college uniform with defenders on him. its in his head. yes he shot 68 or 69% from the ft line in college. but the guy is like the worse ft shooter in the nba right now. or at least it seems that way. thats a head issue. not a mechanics issue. you would do better getting zo a shrink.

I actually think the pressure of losing when he has never lossed is getting to him. all guys well most guys are use to winning a lot and they say they are all about winning. but they feel they can win small battles. like having a good game from a points perspective or rebounds or assists. zo doesnt think like that. he really truly does not care what his stats say if he loses. he can't stand losing. to the point where its in his head. and now since he himself missed a couple of shots. he will star to think he's the reason why they are losing. which is why he becomes so passive at times. he needs to just play basketball. and the shots will far a lot more often and so will the ft's.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What Could Have Happened if Lakers Tried to Change Lonzo's shot

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

-

We really have no idea what happened with Fultz, or why it happened, so I don't see his situation as a cautionary tale that applies to Lonzo or anyone else.

I wouldn't have messed with Lonzo's shot before the preseason, and wouldn't mess with it now, but that has nothing to do with a concern about some weird injury. It's more about the guy having too many other things to worry about as a rookie point guard,.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
I've said before, like some expert said that broke this down about other players. I think that nba ball is bothering his TOUCH on layups and jumpers and ft's. But I still think its 70% mental. 20% the feel of the ball. and 10%..fix your shot.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

I suspect they worked on changing his shot because his shoulder was injured, not that it caused the injury.

But on the Lonzo front, there is a reason why no one on earth shoots like he does. If he really wants to be elite, he needs to do things the right way. Its like a single A pitcher with a crazy motion refusing to fix it in the major despite constantly giving up hits.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What Could Have Happened if Lakers Tried to Change Lonzo's shot

activeverb wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

-

We really have no idea what happened with Fultz, or why it happened, so I don't see his situation as a cautionary tale that applies to Lonzo or anyone else.

I wouldn't have messed with Lonzo's shot before the preseason, and wouldn't mess with it now, but that has nothing to do with a concern about some weird injury. It's more about the guy having too many other things to worry about as a rookie point guard,.
Agree that we don't know the specific details

It has been reported that the 76ers were altering Fultz's shot, hence his situation is part of the equation/discussion

Reviewing his stats, it appears that the main problem is his confidence in his shot

Given that his main priority is establishing pace and getting everybody involved, Lonzo is doing a good job

It should be noted that even when Lonzo made a great play of collapsing the defense so that Ingram has a wide open shot, there are haters - as noted below

Ben Alamar
ESPN Stats & Info

Even though the shot went in, did Lonzo Ball make the right decision passing out to Brandon Ingram for his game-winner? According to Second Spectrum data, Lonzo Ball had about a 44 percent chance of making a potential game-winner before dishing it out to Ingram. Ingram, meanwhile, had about a 33 percent of making his eventual game-winner.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are hiring a ‘shot doctor’ to help their shooting woes

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/12/11/16764510/la-lakers-news-shooting-problems-lonzo-ball-magic-johnson

finally
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
When we wanted to bring on a shooting coach, before this season, Luke didn't think we needed it. But it's not going to be his choice this year. We're bringing one in, and after this season, we need one. It's going to be really good for our team. Not just for Lonzo, but everybody,” Magic said

reminder that Luke is not Magic's coach, but cmon Magic... we know this is for Lonzo.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Quote:
When we wanted to bring on a shooting coach, before this season, Luke didn't think we needed it. But it's not going to be his choice this year. We're bringing one in, and after this season, we need one. It's going to be really good for our team. Not just for Lonzo, but everybody,” Magic said

reminder that Luke is not Magic's coach, but cmon Magic... we know this is for Lonzo.

Couldn't believe i was reading that. Makes me want to watch the video and see if he really said that.

This guy has no diplomacy in him.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

Well, I would say that having an unorthodox shot is fine if you are shooting close to expectations. If you are consistently below expectations then you might as well try and fix the shot. It's probably best to see if he can start hitting shots better this season and, if not, then change his form in the offseason.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

Kevin Martin on Lonzo's shot.

Says it's very similar to his shot. And thinks Zo will be a great shooter with some small fixes.

Can we hire this guy to work with Zo?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

Is "shot doctor" an actual PHD? Or is it like a "love doctor"? 😂
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

If he has the yips, doesnt matter what form he uses, it's not going in.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/12/11/16764510/la-lakers-news-shooting-problems-lonzo-ball-magic-johnson

finally

About time.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

finally

About time.

When are they bringing in the doctor? Not until the off-season?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: