Team Has No Identity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

No identity, no leader, no go-to guy...

I know...
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Attacking the rim is the identity. "Smash-mouth basketball" if you want... gulp

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

What I see is a rebuilding team that is Scrappy on defense, prefers to run, struggles in half court sets, is poor at shooting and desperately needs another veteran PG. This team also show its youth I'm their decision making and lack of focus.

If anything, it's a more exciting team. Personally, I don't remember being this invested emotionally for a few years
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

guys it's a steamship
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Team Has No Identity

lakurluv wrote:
I know it's still early on, but IMO the team should focus on establishing an identity. Without an identity, they have nothing to strive for each game. I can't really see how you have a game plan if you don't know who or what the team is?

When KB24 was at his peak and he had a supportive cast like 2010, it was easy that we were going to be able to play solid tough defense with our Length up front (Bynum+Gasol+Odom) and toughness on the wings (Artest+KB24+Ariza). Offensively, it was simple give KB24 the ball and he can ISO or run the two man game with Gasol.

So we had an identity...
Right now we have a ton of young talented players, none are really the focal point and defensively we often seem lost or unsure of what we're doing. Even though Randle comes off the bench, he's been really good IMO so far this season albeit he may get traded before the deadline. Clarkson has also played well off the Bench and provided some fairly consistent play.

With the Starters, Kuzma is obviously our best scorer on the floor and he can get it from anywhere off the court. Surprisingly enough Ingram love getting to the cup with his wiry self in lieu of shooting jump shots ???
Zo is not a scoring guard and that's obvious, he's rather lazy at times on the floor and chooses to pass rather than put up big numbers.
So offensively there is nothing but confusion with the starters. It seems as though the Coaching Staff is hesitant on handing over the scoring load to anyone particular player and settling for team scoring to win games. That's a great idea if the Lakers were playing D1 College Basketball, but this is the NBA where Isolation is the focus and you better be able to guard your man 1-1 or else get beat!

My point is simply that the Team Needs an Identity and it doesn't seem like there is much focus in that area. I know they are developing the young guys and looking to make some moves, but if we had 25% of an identity, we would be closer to 500 at this point in the season which wouldn't be bad for a young team like the Lakers.

We need an Identity Luke, Work it Out... YOU CAN DO IT...LOL

You know it's early on yet you expect an identity with a ton of new players??? SMH
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Actually, in a weird way, we our identity is having no identity, if that makes any sense. Jury is still out on whether that's a good thing but I do buy in to the MDA philosophy that the ball finds energy.
everyteardrop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
Typical LG thread after a loss...
When you have in your starting five 2 rookies, 1 sophomore and the 2 others are no NBA stars, if you don't expect this team to be middle of the pack AT BEST, I don't know what to tell you. Just be happy we are a very good defensive team (that's part of an identity), and accept we'll struggle all year, that's just how it's supposed to be given how our team is build, I even think we are in some ways overachieving...
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Yes, we have no identity. But 24 other teams have fans on their forums complaining about the same thing. We have to market Ingram, Kuz, & Randle (if he stays). We have to run the offense through them first and do our best to make sure at least one of these kids can become a star. We can't worry about making the other guys happy. They probably won't be here next year. And as for Zo, we bring him along and help him figure it out. He'll eventually get there. I have no worries about what Lonzo would be in a few years.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Or... We can be the Baron Davis Warriors and go all Helter Skelter and much ish up...
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

It's hard to do without stars I agree. Even harder when you have 3 guys on their contract years who need to get their shots, a surprise rookie who threw the rotations in disarray, and another rookie trying to prove he can score(which he can't at this point).
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Showtime got its identity from Magic, Kareem and Riles

the Lakeshow got its identity from NVE, Ceballos, and Eddie, until Shaq came, Del also to a lesser extent

the 200's Lakers got their identity from Shaq, Kobe, and Phil. Later Kobe, Gasol, and Phil

These Lakers have Luke, Ball, Randle, Kuz, and JC. Kind of a weak growing identity. One that is very green and hasn't won anything yet.

I guess you can say weak identity is close to no identity. No one has emerged yet: no winning season, no playoff shockers (even NVE and the Lakers had their 1st round playoff feat). A developing green identity.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

Lol, comparing this rebuilding team to Kobe’s team that went to the finals.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Lol, comparing this rebuilding team to Kobe’s team that went to the finals.

comparing only to show how far apart they are
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

It's only 19 games. We are doing fine. We are a very young team. We have 4 new players in the starting line up since Larry has been out. They are learning a new system. The only player in the starting line up from last year is Ingram. Need to be patient right now.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

I suggest the topic header be edited to read instead "This team has no identity ..." that the OP likes so far.

The team gets sloppy rather more often than we fans would like. The team is inconsistent, as the team is in the process of figuring out who plays well with whom and in what circumstance.

The team is seasoning rookies at point guard and combo forward, a second year player at big wing, a third year player at power forward in the main rotation with 20+ MPG each, all at once. The team is being directed by a second year head coach, with familiar if unproven assistants.

This is the Laker identity today.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

Luke's defensive minded and stubborn substitution with Magic's vision... that's our identity
You Look Like AC Green
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Attacking the rim is the identity. "Smash-mouth basketball" if you want... gulp

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks this current Laker team looks exactly like what "smash mouth basketball" was supposed to be.

Even down to limiting how many threes we take (because we really suck at making them).
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

It is not the identity we lack,
it is the half-court offensive system.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

This is true for prior teams. Never saw the same team twice.

This team? Simple.

Defensive effectiveness is based on switchability and versatility.

Team will push for pace.

Halfcourt sets in progress, but learning to adapt to read and react without plays.

We can't shoot.

We can rebound.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

WHO ARE WE
Quote:

We can't shoot.

We can rebound.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Because Luke doesn't know how to make an offense that maximizes the talent of his team. He only knows how to copy the Warriors offense and hope it works some nights.

He's also robotic when it comes to his lineups and often ignores the units that are rolling the best and will make his hockey substitutions.

The reason our team doesn't have an identity is because we have a coach that has no clue how to establish one for us as a team, and instead is trying to force us to copy another even where it doesn't fit.

Two seasons in, we still have no clue what offense we're running.

At least with D'Antoni it was very clear what offense we were running and the offensive identity we had, no matter what players came and went, our identity was consistent.

We have none of that with Luke. Two seasons in we have no offensive identity. Fair to say, it was the same way with Byron.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

^I don't know man.

The Lakers are among the league leaders in points in the paint. I think that's a big deal for a team that can't shoot.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^I don't know man.

The Lakers are among the league leaders in points in the paint. I think that's a big deal for a team that can't shoot.

I'd have to imagine, though I haven't seen the stats, that most poor shooting teams are going to get theirs in the paint.

I mean if we were the worst outside shooting team and the worst in the paint scoring team, we'd be posting 70 PPG or something.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Two seasons in we have no offensive identity.

Frankly I'm surprised that surprises anyone. We have a rookie point guard who can't shoot; a second year SF who is struggling to figure out the NBA; and a couple of rent-a-vets in our starting lineup. Did anyone really think this bucket of spare parts would start the season as a cohesive unit?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

Two seasons in we have no offensive identity.

Frankly I'm surprised that surprises anyone. We have a rookie point guard who can't shoot; a second year SF who is struggling to figure out the NBA; and a couple of rent-a-vets in our starting lineup. Did anyone really think this bucket of spare parts would start the season as a cohesive unit?

Yes, many people did. Because culture.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: