Is L.A. the most hated/disliked big city in our nation?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Is L.A. the most hated/disliked big city in our nation?

I've lived in the L.A. area almost my whole life, and I've been to 9 other states. Many in my family used to live on the east coast, mostly in either the NYC area or Philly. I've noticed that when you talk to or hear from people in other parts of the country, there is a really strong sense of dislike or even hate for L.A. and Southern California, or at least our way of life. They hate on us for everything from our supposed lack of work ethic, because they think we're soft, we're too liberal, because they hate Hollywood and it's supposed lack of morals and values, because we're supposedly shallow, or even something as insignificant as the fact that we dress casually and they think there's something seriously wrong with that.

Some think they're just jealous of us. But I think it runs deeper than it, and some of it speaks to the fact that our nation is divided, between coastal metropolitan areas like L.A. and NYC, and rural America. But then again, SF hates us with a passion. Maybe NYC hates us to some extent. Even San Diego, our lovely neighbors to the south hate us.

How much truth is there to this? I'd especially like to hear from our fellow LGers who live outside of the L.A. area.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

They jealous of our weather. I don't think it's reached NY-Boston levels tbh.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is L.A. the most hated/disliked big city in our nation?

slavavov wrote:
I've lived in the L.A. area almost my whole life, and I've been to 9 other states. Many in my family used to live on the east coast, mostly in either the NYC area or Philly. I've noticed that when you talk to or hear from people in other parts of the country, there is a really strong sense of dislike or even hate for L.A. and Southern California, or at least our way of life. They hate on us for everything from our supposed lack of work ethic, because they think we're soft, we're too liberal, because they hate Hollywood and it's supposed lack of morals and values, because we're supposedly shallow, or even something as insignificant as the fact that we dress casually and they think there's something seriously wrong with that.

Some think they're just jealous of us. But I think it runs deeper than it, and some of it speaks to the fact that our nation is divided, between coastal metropolitan areas like L.A. and NYC, and rural America. But then again, SF hates us with a passion. Maybe NYC hates us to some extent. Even San Diego, our lovely neighbors to the south hate us.

How much truth is there to this? I'd especially like to hear from our fellow LGers who live outside of the L.A. area.

In all seriousness, and without any intent to be condescending . . . who the (bleep) cares?

You either like living in LA, or you don't. Same thing applies to other big cities that have proud citizens versus haters.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

The nice thing is that people who don't like it here don't have to live here, and those of us that like it aren't too worried about converting the dissidents.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Resentment for our big cities exists throughout the country. Most of it is jealousy, some of it is because the cities are objectively crap (Cleveland, Detroit, Orlando). Some people dislike our biggest cities for traditional pet reasons (New York is "rude", SF is "gay"). What's funny is that while the other big boys hate California, and norcal has some strange inferiority complex with socal, the feelings are never mutual. I love NYC and the bay. Anyone who expresses contempt for LA as a whole a.) has never been here b.) is insecure about their own station in life and c.) is lying or d.) tried to get from sawtelle to la brea at 3:30pm and never made it so their hate was 100% justified but it's ok because they're dead now

http://i.imgur.com/kWJYW8T.png
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

I usually get annoyed when New Yorkers and Chicago people talk about how good there food is compared to LA.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What's funny is that while the other big boys hate California, and norcal has some strange inferiority complex with socal, the feelings are never mutual.

I went to UCSB, which is generally a mix of socal and NorCal kids. Until I got there I was totally unaware of the "Norcal" brand, or the supposed feud between the two poles.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is L.A. the most hated/disliked big city in our nation?

DaMuleRules wrote:
slavavov wrote:

In all seriousness, and without any intent to be condescending . . . who the (bleep) cares?

You either like living in LA, or you don't. Same thing applies to other big cities that have proud citizens versus haters.

I don't care that much, mostly because I think L.A. is the best big city in our nation and we have more than enough to be proud and happy about. But I find it interesting how there's more hate for our city than other huge cities. As Huey Lewis mentioned, most of us in L.A. love places like NYC and SF, but they seem to hate us for some reason.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
What's funny is that while the other big boys hate California, and norcal has some strange inferiority complex with socal, the feelings are never mutual.

I went to UCSB, which is generally a mix of socal and NorCal kids. Until I got there I was totally unaware of the "Norcal" brand, or the supposed feud between the two poles.

I also went to UCSB, and when I got there it was the first time I had ever heard that people from Norcal hated us as much as they do. Then I had some cool roommates from the Bay Area, and I started to realize that the Norcal-Socal rivalry is silly and almost pointless. It's interesting how going away to college broadens our horizons as much as it does.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

It's bizarre. A lot of these people can't even afford to live in the Bay Area proper but if you live north of...Carpinteria??? I guess you have to run the banner nonetheless.

My family is visiting from Calistoga ("that's in California?"--everyone) and they pimp the hell out of the Warriors and Giants (never been to a game) and "the City" this, and tout their "superior" Mexican food (veritably untrue).
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I usually get annoyed when New Yorkers and Chicago people talk about how good there food is compared to LA.

To be fair, NYC has the best pizza in the world imo. But we have Mexican food and other dishes that they don't have. Plus, it seems like Chicago's food has too much cholesterol and fat. Perhaps that's why they call it "the city of broad shoulders".

Last edited by slavavov on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

To be fair, NYC has the best pizza in the world imo.

That distinction belongs to Naples IMO

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
I don't think it's reached NY-Boston levels tbh.

That’s my perspective from the CST. I’d probably add D.C. to the list. I really don’t sense much animosity toward LA. It’s more a sense that LA is ridiculous and self-absorbed, but LA seems to embrace this.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I really don’t sense much animosity toward LA. It’s more a sense that LA is ridiculous and self-absorbed

Is that worse than being populous yet uncharming and absorbent, like Houston?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I really don’t sense much animosity toward LA

similar sense in Florida
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Just like the "rivalry" with the Kings. Big brother doesn't realize little brother thinks there's a rivalry.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

SF > NYC > LA as far as comparing those three goes
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Resentment for our big cities exists throughout the country. Most of it is jealousy, some of it is because the cities are objectively crap (Cleveland, Detroit, Orlando). Some people dislike our biggest cities for traditional pet reasons (New York is "rude", SF is "gay"). What's funny is that while the other big boys hate California, and norcal has some strange inferiority complex with socal, the feelings are never mutual. I love NYC and the bay. Anyone who expresses contempt for LA as a whole a.) has never been here b.) is insecure about their own station in life and c.) is lying or d.) tried to get from sawtelle to la brea at 3:30pm and never made it so their hate was 100% justified but it's ok because they're dead now

http://i.imgur.com/kWJYW8T.png

This is mostly a good post. I grew up in Southern California but have also lived in Philly, Seattle, NYC and Colorado Springs. I would argue that most of the big cities in the US are objectively crap like you mention.

But I think that unless you really like the beach and the weather (which I'm not saying aren't legit factors), LA is not as good as NYC and SF (I would personally put many other cities ahead of all three of these as well, but that's coming down to more of a personal preference).

To me, SF has much more variety and character in terms of architecture, landscape, food, etc. You're a lot closer to actual mountainous areas in almost every direction, plus once you get north of SF by about 100 miles you're in basically wilderness. Humboldt and Mendocino counties are pretty cool.

NYC is great if you like being indoors. The food is probably the best in the US, overall, and you don't have to eat expensive to enjoy that aspect of it. The public transit is far from perfect but is still very convenient; you don't need to and honestly shouldn't own a car there. But you better love being indoors like I said and you better not want to leave the city too often.

All three of these cities are insanely crowded and traffic is obviously a huge issue. But that issue is relatively moot in NYC because of the subway system and because if you live there you probably don't leave the city too often plus you probably don't have your own vehicle. LA probably has the worst traffic of the three from what I know.

However, SF and NYC are both INSANELY expensive. Not that LA is cheap, but relatively speaking it's the cheapest of the three and the easiest to get by on a lower income. I would argue that NYC especially is tough to truly enjoy without a good income. Also, NYC in the summer is generally really really bad, especially on the subway platforms. The fact that LA (and SF really, as well) don't have seasons is either something you like or you don't, but NYC in the summer is objectively the worst by far.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I also went to UCSB, and when I got there it was the first time I had ever heard that people from Norcal hated us as much as they do. Then I had some cool roommates from the Bay Area, and I started to realize that the Norcal-Socal rivalry is silly and almost pointless. It's interesting how going away to college broadens our horizons as much as it does.

Another Gaucho here. Yes, the "rivalry" between NoCal and SoCal is purely a one-sided thing that only exists with the Northerners.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

Love all 3. But which one prefers depends on what you want out of the city you live in. I love New York, and would l spend a week there anytime I could. It is the most enjoyable big city. But I wouldn't want to live there permanently. SF is great as well, but not nearly as vibrant and interesting as New York.

But ultimately I love LA as a place to live. I can do all the things I would do in New York - dine, visit museums, go to the theater (though New York certainly provides more options on the latter two) - and provides so much more thanks to the local mountains, beaches and islands. Here in LA I am a one hour boat ride from some of the best scuba diving in the world and a couple of hours away from very decent skiing.

Eventually, my wife and I plan to leave LA for a quieter and more laid back place. But for now, and my lifestyle, there's no place I would rather live full time than LA.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

A huge, underappreciated selling point for NYC and SF versus LA is all the calories you burn getting from place to place (unless you're wealthy and use car services). I reverse commuted from the Bay when I was in college and would have to trudge up Nob Hill to get home every night (this was before Google and Facebook blew up), and my ass never looked better. In NYC, even my friends who consume way too much booze and hipster chicken n' waffles without hitting the gym regularly manage to not balloon up like they would if they lived in driving cities like LA, Atlanta, Houston, etc.

That's especially true as one gets older, gets busier, and the metabolism slows down - it's harder to get hours of gym time in each week to offset the networking happy hours and brunches, but being in a walking city helps offset that somewhat.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

I don't think people hate Los Angeles at all.

Now Hollywood? Different story.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
A huge, underappreciated selling point for NYC and SF versus LA is all the calories you burn getting from place to place (unless you're wealthy and use car services). I reverse commuted from the Bay when I was in college and would have to trudge up Nob Hill to get home every night (this was before Google and Facebook blew up), and my ass never looked better. In NYC, even my friends who consume way too much booze and hipster chicken n' waffles without hitting the gym regularly manage to not balloon up like they would if they lived in driving cities like LA, Atlanta, Houston, etc.

That's especially true as one gets older, gets busier, and the metabolism slows down - it's harder to get hours of gym time in each week to offset the networking happy hours and brunches, but being in a walking city helps offset that somewhat.

We don't walk around as much in LA, but we probably eat healthier.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I really don’t sense much animosity toward LA. It’s more a sense that LA is ridiculous and self-absorbed

Is that worse than being populous yet uncharming and absorbent, like Houston?

Eh. As I said, LA seems to have embraced its image. You certainly have.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

That's how the 3 cities are ordered price per square foot. So you are literally paying more for less space.
Not to mention the old ass buildings you are forced to live in. Several generations of cockroaches and rats in the walls and under appliances. Oh, and also the (bleep) weather.

Love the space, new construction, weather, and laid back demeanor that comes with LA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: