Is L.A. the most hated/disliked big city in our nation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I don't think people hate Los Angeles at all.

Now Hollywood? Different story.

99% of people who hate "Hollywood" have no real understanding of what "Hollywood" actually is.

People who hate "hollywood" are usually rubes who don't like listening to their favorite actors' leftist politics.

Mychal having to dispel the plastic allusion way back in 87.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

99% of people who hate "Hollywood" have no real understanding of what "Hollywood" actually is.

I'm not really sure that is relevant even if true.

Plus, anyone could just say the same made up percentage about the haters of any other city.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

I think weather and housing made within the last 20 years are 2 underappreciated factors LA has. I've had some schooling back East and those 2 things REALLY made me miss LA.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I really don’t sense much animosity toward LA. It’s more a sense that LA is ridiculous and self-absorbed

Is that worse than being populous yet uncharming and absorbent, like Houston?

Eh. As I said, LA seems to have embraced its image. You certainly have.

I don't embrace that description at all. "Ridiculous" and "self-absorbed" are things you'd say about LA if you had to burn any stretch of your life in southeast Texas. I'd be pretty salty too.

This is interesting. Based on the original post and your lame attempts at trash talking, it appears that some of you have a need to believe that people in other places actually care.

You're right that I'm trash talking, but for you to say that there isn't a large enough number of people walking around with a chip on their shoulder about LA to be noticeable means that you're oblivious, even for a (bleep)-booted Texan. I wouldn't corroborate it if I hadn't encountered it several times myself.

If you get around enough, you come across people who dislike places they've been to, yes? Some dislike certain cities more than others. Some people really dislike LA/California for various reasons, and they usually like to tell you about it when they hear you're from there.

This really is a thing, Tex. As an experiment, go walk around your own town if it's safe to leave the house without a snorkel yet. Unstrap that goofy (bleep) stetson hat and replace it with a dodgers cap. Put on a pair of shorts and some wayfarers. Talk to the locals, ask for directions, and this is very important--try to go 15 minutes without saying "y'all" out loud. If you see a bull, use your best anti-anxiety exercises to try to keep from driving it into a pen, just be cool, leave work at work. Soon enough, someone will make a snarky comment about LA. Probably something about it being "ridiculous" and "self-absorbed".

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:10 am; edited 3 times in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

You're right that I'm trash talking, but for you to say that there isn't a large enough number of people walking around with a chip on their shoulder about LA to be noticeable means that you're oblivious, even for a (bleep)-booted Texan. I wouldn't corroborate it if I hadn't encountered it several times myself.

If you get around enough, you come across people who dislike places they've been to, yes? Some dislike certain cities more than others. Some people really dislike LA/California for various reasons, and they usually like to tell you about it. This really is a thing, Tex.

Based on the way you present yourself here, I suspect that people in other places just dislike you. I'm sure regular people from LA get along just fine.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
I wouldn't want to live in LA nor NYC.

NYC is the capital of the world, if the winter lasted less than a month, it would be the best place to live on earth (but you need $)
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If you get around enough, you come across people who dislike places they've been to, yes? Some dislike certain cities more than others. Some people really dislike LA/California for various reasons, and they usually like to tell you about it. This really is a thing, Tex.

Based on the way you present yourself here, I suspect that people in other places just dislike you. I'm sure regular people from LA get along just fine.

Most people don't dislike me until they get to know me.

The guy who started this thread wasn't imagining things, is all I'm getting at.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I'm not really sure that is relevant even if true.

Plus, anyone could just say the same made up percentage about the haters of any other city.

You brought that irrelevant thing up.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

Most people don't dislike me until they get to know me.

I can believe that.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The nice thing is that people who don't like it here don't have to live here, and those of us that like it aren't too worried about converting the dissidents.

THIS...!
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
slavavov wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
What's funny is that while the other big boys hate California, and norcal has some strange inferiority complex with socal, the feelings are never mutual.

I went to UCSB, which is generally a mix of socal and NorCal kids. Until I got there I was totally unaware of the "Norcal" brand, or the supposed feud between the two poles.

I also went to UCSB, and when I got there it was the first time I had ever heard that people from Norcal hated us as much as they do. Then I had some cool roommates from the Bay Area, and I started to realize that the Norcal-Socal rivalry is silly and almost pointless. It's interesting how going away to college broadens our horizons as much as it does.

How did you guys enjoy your time at UCSB? My 18 year old son is applying there as we speak among other schools.

I love the location and Isla Vista (my son loves to surf) plus the University itself has really risen in the academic rankings to be very strong.

I also had tons of friends in college (San Diego State) from NoCal, many of my best friends actually so I know what you are saying. Friendly rivalry is fun, NoCal is a great place (don't quote me )

I think this is the main thing if you're a parent. Everyone knows how fun IV can be, although I've heard the party scene has become watered down in the last 9 yrs or so since I graduated and left. UCSB has had several Nobel Prize winners amongst its faculty. It has also been ranked one of the top 10 public schools in the nation for a while. Plus, not sure if you live in the L.A. area, but if you do it is the perfect distance, it's definitely outside of the metropolitan area but close enough for an easy day trip.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
slavavov wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
What's funny is that while the other big boys hate California, and norcal has some strange inferiority complex with socal, the feelings are never mutual.

I went to UCSB, which is generally a mix of socal and NorCal kids. Until I got there I was totally unaware of the "Norcal" brand, or the supposed feud between the two poles.

I also went to UCSB, and when I got there it was the first time I had ever heard that people from Norcal hated us as much as they do. Then I had some cool roommates from the Bay Area, and I started to realize that the Norcal-Socal rivalry is silly and almost pointless. It's interesting how going away to college broadens our horizons as much as it does.

How did you guys enjoy your time at UCSB? My 18 year old son is applying there as we speak among other schools.

I love the location and Isla Vista (my son loves to surf) plus the University itself has really risen in the academic rankings to be very strong.

I also had tons of friends in college (San Diego State) from NoCal, many of my best friends actually so I know what you are saying. Friendly rivalry is fun, NoCal is a great place (don't quote me )

I think this is the main thing if you're a parent. Everyone knows how fun IV can be, although I've heard the party scene has become watered down in the last 9 yrs or so since I graduated and left. UCSB has had several Nobel Prize winners amongst its faculty. It has also been ranked one of the top 10 public schools in the nation for a while. Plus, not sure if you live in the L.A. area, but if you do it is the perfect distance, it's definitely outside of the metropolitan area but close enough for an easy day trip.

Sums it up perfectly
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Conker wrote:

NYC is the capital of the world, if the winter lasted less than a month, it would be the best place to live on earth (but you need $)

Have you waited for a subway there in the summer? It's also overly congested, buildings and infrastructure are old, and it really does smell like urine in half the city.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Subway platforms in the summer are incredibly (bleep) - as arguably is the city as a whole when you're outside. But like I said you aren't outside all that often in NYC (primarily when moving from building to building).

NYC is also not really that bad in the winter. Three accumulations of snow at the most I would say. Also doesn't get all that cold. Again these things are mitigated by the facts that 1) a car is far from necessary and 2) you aren't outside much
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I really wonder how many non-rich people actually enjoy living in NYC and how many just say they do.

Rent and cost of living are ridiculous. The weather is horrible. The city is dirty and stressful.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
governator wrote:
Conker wrote:

Have you waited for a subway there in the summer? It's also overly congested, buildings and infrastructure are old, and it really does smell like urine in half the city.

As bad and as old the subway is, it gets you everywhere in NYC. You truly don’t need a car (parking is ridiculously expensive too). But everything is there in a 12 x 3mile Manhattan with the other boroughs within half hr commute by subway. It’s a playground for adults
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I really wonder how many non-rich people actually enjoy living in NYC and how many just say they do.

Rent and cost of living are ridiculous. The weather is horrible. The city is dirty and stressful.

I don't know, but I do agree and have NEVER been to New York (city or state) and have no plans or desires to ever visit...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Well, NYC dates to the beginning of the 1600's and was built on top of swampland. What you call dirty some people call history.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Well, NYC dates to the beginning of the 1600's and was built on top of swampland. What you call dirty some people call history.

And that's my disconnect. That's why I prefer LA. To me NYC is dirty. Dirty, old, cramped buildings, with rodent and pest infestations. When walking through the city you're avoiding rain or half melted snow turned sludgy black from the grime on the road. Not to mention the weather. Humid in the summer and cold as ice in the winter.
I don't understand how people like all those things.

1 thing I will give NYC credit for. Last call is 4 am. Not 2 am like it is here.
But if I want to be lit at all times of night (or day) I'll go to Vegas.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

I was not a fan of NYC when I worked there for some short stints. But the residents seemed to enjoy it. I mean countless people there felt obligated to tell me unprompted that it was the best place in the world and about how they couldn't stand LA when they visited.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

And that's my disconnect. That's why I prefer LA. To me NYC is dirty. Dirty, old, cramped buildings, with rodent and pest infestations. Rain or melted snow turned sludgy black from the grime on the road. Not to mention the weather. Humid in the summer and cold as ice in the winter.

You can say the same comparing SF to LA. SF was more populated than LA during the 1800's, and theres a lot of the older Victorian buildings still standing. Some people find charm in those old buildings while others prefer to bulldoze them and start fresh.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject:

I think your post speaks more to the class divide that's growing larger and larger in the US more than anything else. With most of the nations wealth concentrated on the west coast and NY areas.

I think the dislike of the hollywood stuff is overblown. the only reason to really dislike LA is sharp increase in the population here in the last 5 years and the clogged freeways that come with it.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

And that's my disconnect. That's why I prefer LA. To me NYC is dirty. Dirty, old, cramped buildings, with rodent and pest infestations. When walking through the city you're avoiding rain or half melted snow turned sludgy black from the grime on the road. Not to mention the weather. Humid in the summer and cold as ice in the winter.

1 thing I will give NYC credit for. Last call is 4 am. Not 2 am like it is here.
But if I want to be lit at all times of night (or day) I'll go to Vegas.

It's a whole different vibe. Everything is compressed together in Manhattan (even in other boroughs), some people hate it, most people love it... you can literally walk to everything you need and so many things are open late night (restaurants, bodega, night life). I love NYC, there is nothing like it in US, maybe Hongkong and Tokyo is close (where everything is so accessible) but everybody has their preference
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

And that's my disconnect. That's why I prefer LA. To me NYC is dirty. Dirty, old, cramped buildings, with rodent and pest infestations.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

Watch this people, and you'll be instantly converted into an LA lover. Aeneas Hunter, this is mandatory viewing.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: