Is L.A. the most hated/disliked big city in our nation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I really wonder how many non-rich people actually enjoy living in NYC and how many just say they do.

Rent and cost of living are ridiculous. The weather is horrible. The city is dirty and stressful.

I don't know, but I do agree and have NEVER been to New York (city or state) and have no plans or desires to ever visit...

It's an amazing city that everyone should visit at least once. It's one of the few cities that feels like it has a living energy in and of itself.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Watch this people, and you'll be instantly converted into an LA lover. Aeneas Hunter, this is mandatory viewing.

Eh. I've been to LA a number of times. I even talked to some law firms there around 1982, but I took a pass on it. There's really nothing wrong with LA, but it's not my kind of town. I understand why a lot of other people are attracted to it, which is why millions of people moved there and why people keep jamming into an area that really can't handle such a large population. It just wasn't for me.

The video is a good illustration of what I said in my first post in this thread. People perceive LA as a bit ridiculous and self-absorbed, but LA has embraced this. In fact, that's sort of LA's shtick. Hollywood has cranked out movies and TV shows that play off of this theme, from LA Story and The Player on one extreme to Crash and Falling Down on the other. And sure, Van Halen played off of this, too.

I was responding to the idea that the rest of the country hates LA. Well, there are people who hate Hollywood liberalism or bicoastal elitism. There are a lot of people who wouldn't want to live in a place like LA. There are people who make fun of California as the Land of Fruits and Nuts. But people who hate LA? I've never run into much of that. There is far more animosity toward NYC and DC.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I really wonder how many non-rich people actually enjoy living in NYC and how many just say they do.

Rent and cost of living are ridiculous. The weather is horrible. The city is dirty and stressful.

I don't know, but I do agree and have NEVER been to New York (city or state) and have no plans or desires to ever visit...

It's an amazing city that everyone should visit at least once. It's one of the few cities that feels like it has a living energy in and of itself.

Yeah, it's a cool place to visit when you don't mind splurging for a few days.

But just a place to live? Not sure I would like Manhattan unless I were rich. I wouldn't mind living in certain parts of Brooklyn, though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

But as per usual, hate of LA is almost always a misconception of the city.
People who say they hate LA:
Folks who say the smog is horrible (which it still is).
People who say it's fake, but haven't spent time in LA.

The one thing that LA is that it's not just a city. It's a metropolis, where we span out at least 60 miles from LAX with at around 12,000,000 people (depending on which areas you add). That's about 15 times more population than the entire state of Alaska.

The culture isn't just Hollywood, but tbh, huge parts Mexican and especially Asian. You want to have the best Asian food outside of their native country? LA is the place. Vietnamese->Westminster, Cantonese, Szechuan, et al->SGV. Thai-> Hollywood. It's bar none, the easiest place to get all that, and more. Flat out no one beats LA for that.

Disneyland, Knotts, Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, etc. Insane number of things to do here for folks who like to visit theme parks.

For me, the biggest hate about LA is traffic and smog. I'm hoping they both change as we get more mass transit and electric vehicles (I own one).
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
But as per usual, hate of LA is almost always a misconception of the city.
People who say they hate LA:
Folks who say the smog is horrible (which it still is).
People who say it's fake, but haven't spent time in LA.

The one thing that LA is that it's not just a city. It's a metropolis, where we span out at least 60 miles from LAX with at around 12,000,000 people (depending on which areas you add). That's about 15 times more population than the entire state of Alaska.

The culture isn't just Hollywood, but tbh, huge parts Mexican and especially Asian. You want to have the best Asian food outside of their native country? LA is the place. Vietnamese->Westminster, Cantonese, Szechuan, et al->SGV. Thai-> Hollywood. It's bar none, the easiest place to get all that, and more. Flat out no one beats LA for that.

Disneyland, Knotts, Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, etc. Insane number of things to do here for folks who like to visit theme parks.

For me, the biggest hate about LA is traffic and smog. I'm hoping they both change as we get more mass transit and electric vehicles (I own one).

As someone who grew up in LA in the early 70's, when even on a good day you couldn't see more than a few miles, smog is MUCH better these days. The haze we experience now is much more tied into the natural geography in the area that has always existed. The marine inversion sometimes traps any particulate in the air as it has since people first populated in the area centuries ago. That haze I not going to go anywhere, no matter how clean our vehicles get.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I don't think people hate Los Angeles at all.

Now Hollywood? Different story.

99% of people who hate "Hollywood" have no real understanding of what "Hollywood" actually is.

I'm not really sure that is relevant even if true.

Plus, anyone could just say the same made up percentage about the haters of any other city.

You brought that irrelevant thing up.

It really doesn’t matter if the hate is warranted or not. (Or by whose standards they are warranted or not). The fact is whether or not LA is hated. I think it is, and have seen it on “most hated” cities lists.

I think it’s rather dumb to hate something that is inanimate, particularly a city.

My point is that I think what people ultimately hate about LA is Hollywood. I don’t think the hate is directed at like Culver City for instance. If you take Hollywood out of LA, then LA is just another big city.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

Having been raised in LA and now living out East, I think a lot of folks hate LA bc they secretly wish they could be in LA. Winter is coming here and I notice that the LA hate reaches a crescendo during the winter.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:

Traffic and smog are a different matter. There are a lot of reasons why people would not want to live in LA or any other big city. Every big city has negatives. That’s different from actually having animosity toward the city or its residents.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

The sense about why some folks hate LA out here in the East is they believe LA folks are pampered. Perfect weather all year long, nothing is difficult, blah blah.

That automatically tells me they know nothing about LA.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The sense about why some folks hate LA out here in the East is they believe LA folks are pampered. Perfect weather all year long, nothing is difficult, blah blah.

EXACTLY! I mean sometimes there are clouds . . . so it's not always perfect here.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

EXACTLY! I mean sometimes there are clouds . . . so it's not always perfect here.

When it hits 60 in the winter...man, it's a rough patch for LA.

I will always consider LA my home, and am Jedi-mind tricking my kids into going there for college and settling there so my stubborn NJ-raised wife will oblige.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Yeah, it's a cool place to visit when you don't mind splurging for a few days.

But just a place to live? Not sure I would like Manhattan unless I were rich. I wouldn't mind living in certain parts of Brooklyn, though.

You def need to be at certain income level to live comfortably in Manhattan. There are affordable areas in the north (pass Washington heights aka Inwood). NYC is certainly not for everybody and I’m not trying to sell it but there really is no other metropolitan like it, not even LA or Paris. Literally a concrete jungle that never sleep. It’s an adult playground
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

If New York had LA weather, I'd move there in a heartbeat. I'm from New Jersey, spent a lot of time in The Big Apple as a youngster. When I visit family I find the NY ambiance grasping.

Staples doesn't have the Madison Square Garden atmosphere. Griffith Park can't hold a candle to Central Park. LA Zoo can't measure up to Bronx Zoo. Downtown Manhattan has really cleaned up. LA's skyline is second class to New York. LA people are in part plastic. New York people are more real.

LA's attraction is weather.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

NYC is a great place to visit, not really a place I'd want to live for an extended period of time. Which was and still is my point of view after having lived there for 2 years and spare change. Maybe I'd think differently if I was rich enough for a chauffeur and a living space equivalent to how I live now (which would be like $10mil a year in NYC). But for the avg Joe or even upper middle class, it's not worth it. Hell, Halal Guys moved to LA which defeats one reason to ever live there.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I would tend to find NYC as both the most loved and hated city in the US, and it's not really close. LA probably ranks a distant second, but it has competition.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I would tend to find NYC as both the most loved and hated city in the US, and it's not really close. LA probably ranks a distant second, but it has competition.

Agree with this!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

That's the way I'd describe New York. It hugs you. It affects me the same way I was affected when I was looking for a church home. When I walked into West Angeles, it hugged me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

NYC doesn't have bad winters anymore due to climate change

summers are worse than ever though
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

Summers were brutal at night. 85 degree nights with mosquitoes. If you didn't have a mosquito net you didn't get much sleep. Rotating fan a must. Pajamas optional.

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

Dude what...wasn't Sandy just yesterday?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

NYC has more precipitation than Seattle annually, and even with global warming has a lot more snow and cold, and it's summers are humid awful. If weather was your defining criteria, NYC wouldn't even make the first draft of choices
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject:

I feel like a lot of people hate on CA and LA in general cause they are jealous...and they want to move here .
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Every city has its problems. In LA, too many fake people and never ending traffic only compounded by the crazy geographic expanse of LA (which makes driving a necessity). It's also overcrowded (separate and apart from the traffic problems - you can't even get a sandwich without a line).

I like it here because most people are liberal like me, people tend to be nicer to look at than most of the rest of America, there are a lot of jobs here, the weather is better/more consistent and we're driving distance from skiing, Vegas, the desert, Mexico, the beach and other cool cities like SD, SB and SF all at the same time.

I also think when people say they hate LA, they are really referring to the people. New Yorkers aren't exactly my cup of tea either. Midwesterners are nice and jiggly like me.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject:

NYC is much more of a real city to me. Not even comparable to LA, which feels more like if you took Burbank or Pasadena and copy/pasted it several times over.

Both have their own charms though. NYC has more energy and more intrigue about it IMO, but maybe that's a product of me growing up near LA.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Summers were brutal at night. 85 degree nights with mosquitoes. If you didn't have a mosquito net you didn't get much sleep. Rotating fan a must. Pajamas optional.

I feel like something similar is happening here in L.A., to a lesser extent of course. It seems like our summers are more humid than they were in the 90s when I was a little kid, plus our summers last longer until the end of October instead of ending in late Sep/early Oct. That added humidity seems to prevent it from cooling off at night, plus the "heat island" effect.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: