Is L.A. the most hated/disliked big city in our nation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject:

I just decided to mentally cut myself by perusing some comments by the tards on Yahoo re: the wildfires. About what I expected. Many an idiot was happy that California (the whole of which they equate to Hollywood out of ignorance) is burning.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
NYC is much more of a real city to me. Not even comparable to LA, which feels more like if you took Burbank or Pasadena and copy/pasted it several times over.

Both have their own charms though. NYC has more energy and more intrigue about it IMO, but maybe that's a product of me growing up near LA.

Sure if you define a city by how dense everything is packed together....I would put San Francisco and New York City in the same category since the main city core is pretty packed close together and a lot of residents live in high rises. Los Angeles on the other hand, we have much more urban sprawl. Everyone here wants their own house with a picket fence and space to roam around.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If New York had LA weather, I'd move there in a heartbeat. I'm from New Jersey, spent a lot of time in The Big Apple as a youngster. When I visit family I find the NY ambiance grasping.

Staples doesn't have the Madison Square Garden atmosphere. Griffith Park can't hold a candle to Central Park. LA Zoo can't measure up to Bronx Zoo. Downtown Manhattan has really cleaned up. LA's skyline is second class to New York. LA people are in part plastic. New York people are more real.

LA's attraction is weather.

Central park is nowhere the size of Griffith Park. Dude, we've got a huge observatory in there. Since it is so large, we of course don't groom it like Central Park gets groomed. But it's got way more hiking trails than in NY.

LA Zoo, yeah, just isn't so great.

For me, food... nothing beats LA in the food category, hands down.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

If you really want to see wild animals why bother with zoos....theres the San Diego Wild Animal Park thats a 2 hour drive away that beats both the LA and the Bronx zoos.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
jodeke wrote:
If New York had LA weather, I'd move there in a heartbeat. I'm from New Jersey, spent a lot of time in The Big Apple as a youngster. When I visit family I find the NY ambiance grasping.

Staples doesn't have the Madison Square Garden atmosphere. Griffith Park can't hold a candle to Central Park. LA Zoo can't measure up to Bronx Zoo. Downtown Manhattan has really cleaned up. LA's skyline is second class to New York. LA people are in part plastic. New York people are more real.

Central park is nowhere the size of Griffith Park. Dude, we've got a huge observatory in there. Since it is so large, we of course don't groom it like Central Park gets groomed. But it's got way more hiking trails than in NY.

Disagree with the last comment, no city beats New Orleans when it comes to food.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
tlim wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Disagree with the last comment, no city beats New Orleans when it comes to food.

New Orleans has its niche food, which it does extremely well, but it doesn't have nearly the diversity and variety that LA or NY has.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:

^agreed. Although I love me some po' boys and shrimp creole, there is No Way that New Orleans best's L.A. overall in the food category. They do their thing well but overall they don't have anywhere near the diversity and quality spots accross the board.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
NYC is much more of a real city to me. Not even comparable to LA, which feels more like if you took Burbank or Pasadena and copy/pasted it several times over.

Both have their own charms though. NYC has more energy and more intrigue about it IMO, but maybe that's a product of me growing up near LA.

Sure if you define a city by how dense everything is packed together....I would put San Francisco and New York City in the same category since the main city core is pretty packed close together and a lot of residents live in high rises. Los Angeles on the other hand, we have much more urban sprawl. Everyone here wants their own house with a picket fence and space to roam around.

I could never live in a place that I couldn't drive a car and I like downtown but I'm usually in the suburbs so NYC's out, LA's a pretty nice place and one of my favorite to visit but its too expense to live.

When I lived there everyone worked their lives away and had no savings to show for it. People say it's laid back but thats not the vibe I got it was more of a work till you're dead kinda vibe.

A real paradise when I want to get away though
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

It's most definitley the most hated and it seems very personal too. Just look at the reaction to the disasters that happen in the LA area compared to other cities. No sympathy or compassion. The latest fires happening right now is a prime example
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You're talking size, I'm talking ambiance. Central Park is a show, sunrise to sunset from from North 110th Street to Central Park South (59th Street), and from Central Park West (8th Avenue) to 5th Ave. You have people live on stage pantomiming, sax, guitar players, a few of the many instruments played for the public, all kinds of amateur activities, free, just drop something in the hat. You won't find THIS in Griffith Park. Also overpriced and lousy food, Tavern On The Green is a landmark.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
8Five8Seven
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I just decided to mentally cut myself by perusing some comments by the tards on Yahoo re: the wildfires. About what I expected. Many an idiot was happy that California (the whole of which they equate to Hollywood out of ignorance) is burning.

I was just catching up on news about the LA fires on that and other sites and also encountered some comments on those boards celebrating LA burning.

Which leads me to this thread. From a non-LA resident's perspective, when the Rams made their intention to move back to Los Angeles, I was at a local event held outside Waikiki Beach and there were a lot of mainland tourists with sports gear (mostly football jerseys, MLB hats and a few NBA tops). When one of the guests brought up football and asked a then "St Louis" Ram fan wearing an old school blue and yellow Rams top, he asked the Rams fan whether or not he'd still follow the Rams once they leave. The Rams fan said he would (he's from Missouri). That was when nearby guests overheard the conversation and started a whole tirade of epithets aimed at Los Angeles to the tunes of:

"Why, LA is not a sports town, those (bleep) don't deserve a team."

"What does LA know about football or winning championships."

"(bleep) those (bleep), I hope the San Andreas eat those (bleep)..."

I could tell most of those guys were not from CA based on their Midwest, New England, NJ, and southern accents and how loyal each were to their football team and why their team and city have something special no Angeleno can ever understand. They said more things and their conversation went off tangent to the point it got more personal, ad hominem stuff about the people of LA.

I lived in LA because of college and a couple years of internships after graduating and then moved back home to work in Honolulu. But I consider LA my mainland home away from home. When I overheard those guys say that about Los Angeles, a part of me felt insulted. I wanted to tell those guys off and remind them about the loyalty Angelenos have for their sports teams, how the various LA pro teams (Lakers, Kings, Galaxy, Dodgers, Angels, Raiders in '83, Sparks) accumulated 20+ championship titles in North America going back 30 years, and that when I used to live there, Angelenos have a camaraderie similar to what I've seen in other cities when I visited NY, SF (have relatives here), Atlanta, Phoenix (have relatives here), and Chicago as a college student. But because my friend was working at the event at the time, I didn't want to start any trouble.

I also recall watching really old school early 80s Lakers and Dodgers games on the VCR my older bro recorded. And it never dawned on me how the chant of "Beat L.A." would sort of become relevant to what the OP is trying to convey. I understood Boston starting it when they lost to Philly in '82, '83 and used it for rivalry purposes. But when I also saw the same chant being said from non-rival cities/teams who had no shot of competing for the playoffs, I had to scratch my head. Now, I know that whole thing could've just been a Laker hatred thing, but then I recall the Dodgers being jeered at with the same chant in other cities. If you google Raiders 1983 Superbowl, it ID's them as Oakland even though their move was official by the NFL. The ESPY's are held at LA. When the Celtics were "given" team of the year in '08 and Ray Allen took a jab at Los Angeles, it was no surprise to me and that the Conn-based "sports" station was likely getting off with that segment. I know these are mere sports examples and could simply be looked at as envy and not indicative to what the OP is trying to find answers to. But is it?

Entertainment is considered one example of what a city or town has to offer visitors who have no idea what that city or town is about. Sports is one example, particularly the Olympics. The main premise representatives of that city argues for is that their city is a great place to host because of their venues, location, what it can do for guests while they remain in their town, etc... When the example from the paragraph above reached to that level of animosity that it spread from one sport to another major sport on a national level, it makes you question how deep that envy really is based on a mere sports team that identifies itself with the city. It reminds me of 4chan anon posters who post every negative comment they can about the topic to persuade outsiders or even try to get proponents of the topic to drop their loyalty altogether if they say enough negative things about the topic.

When I was a h.s. senior and lurked and finally posted on a college forum asking for feedback about the college choices each of us were making and I posted a couple from Los Angeles, most of the feedback when I stated USC and Loyola Marymount, were pretty much negative. Most aimed at the location, aka, LA. "It's smoggy, congested with traffic, and riddled with crime and gang members." While those statements are true, doesn't that apply to most cities in the country as well? I ended up accepting USC's offer. During semester breaks, I volunteered for some of the most brilliant inner city LA kids who had big aspirations such as wanting to be an engineer and design a city wide monorail system to ease congestion, to wanting to be a pilot in the USAF, or doing research for NASA. As well as worked with people in the greater LA area who were into finding ways to access alternative energy and alternative ways of growing their own food through hydro and aquaponic systems. Angelenos tend to get these quick stereotypes about them being pampered, conceited, or lazy when in fact they are some of the most involved, hard working and goal oriented people I've met in my life.

Another example is Hollywood. When I started college, I recall an online article from Rolling Stone I believe it was, reporting how LA was gradually losing their main staple, Film and Television, by trying to keep it in LA only losing it to other cities like NYC, SF or even Florida and how posters seem to revel in the loss.

Anyway, those are my own personal experiences based on the topic. And to be fair, while LA does tend to have criticisms aimed toward it, much can be said about other major US cities as well. Maybe we don't hear or read about it as much, at least not to the extent LA usually gets. Overall though, most people I've met across the country have a good outlook about Los Angeles. Aside from Hollywoodland or Disneyland, most enjoy the weather, the beaches, or how one could go skiing one moment and then hanging out at Santa Monica Pier within two hours. I know fellow alumni from around the country who decided to stay in Los Angeles for their career and now call L.A. home.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
tlim wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'd also rate LA as the third best food on the west coast, with San Francisco and Portland vying for number one.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Portland vying for number one.

How? Spent a ton of time in Portland over the past 2 years. What am I missing?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Portland vying for number one.

How? Spent a ton of time in Portland over the past 2 years. What am I missing?

Everything apparently. Just a ton if great little joints and chefs making cool stuff without the fanfare. Coffee, beer, wine (the best pinot noir outside of france), and food is all local and fantastic.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject:

Try andina next time you're there. Or pok pok
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject:

The amaretto infused french toast at the byways cafe is a must have too.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject:

ty...wrote those down and will definitely try

I don't like coffee or alcohol, so there's a partial explanation for the blind spot
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tlim wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'd also rate LA as the third best food on the west coast, with San Francisco and Portland vying for number one.

Yeah man...naw. I've had great meals in all three places. You can eat very well in Portland. I've been to probably 7 or 8 of their most acclaimed places and none of them would crack the LA top 20. Pok Pok, for example, opened in LA to great fanfare and closed within a year, I believe. I really like Pok Pok btw, but something like Night Market blows it out of the water at half the price, and that's before you even discuss the mom and pop Thai joints that are incredible. It's not even a knock on the other two cities. I love them both, I just think it's hard to compete in that arena with a massive sprawling diverse metropolis.

In terms of coffee and beer, Portland smokes LA. Our coffee scene is coming around though.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tlim wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yeah man...naw. I've had great meals in all three places. You can eat very well in Portland. I've been to probably 7 or 8 of their most acclaimed places and none of them would crack the LA top 20. Pok Pok, for example, opened in LA to great fanfare and closed within a year, I believe. I really like Pok Pok btw, but something like Night Market blows it out of the water at half the price, and that's before you even discuss the mom and pop Thai joints that are incredible. It's not even a knock on the other two cities. I love them both, I just think it's hard to compete in that arena with a massive sprawling diverse metropolis.

In terms of coffee and beer, Portland smokes LA. Our coffee scene is coming around though.

I agree. SF might have a better 'restaurant' scene but not a better food scene. Pokpok is good but we have Thai town with cheaper options. Portland has a nice young chef scene and breakfast/brunch scene, but still lacks diversity in its options. And I do love eating in both cities. LA like most big cities is a melting pot, but our is chunky so you get areas where you can get authentic ethnic cuisine that is not watered down. Koreatown, Thai town, Glendale, SGV, etc. which is something other cities can't match. From cheap eats to fine dining we got it well covered.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Look at Angel Stadium when the Angels play Boston or the Yankees. They hate So Cal but transplanted out here. Lol. Same with the Cub fans at Dodger Stadium.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tlim wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That's cool. I wasnt knocking L.A. its a great food city. Angelenos are going to be LA centric, and what works in one place might not in another. But many folks outside of either would beg to differ on the idea that the top pdx restaurants wouldn't crack the top twenty, or that you need that size and sprawl to have those great holes in the wall. Either way, it doesnt matter, as it is all good
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Look at Angel Stadium when the Angels play Boston or the Yankees. They hate So Cal but transplanted out here. Lol. Same with the Cub fans at Dodger Stadium.

Why do Boston and Yankee fans specifically go to Angels games, and not Dodger ones? Past rivalry?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Why do Boston and Yankee fans specifically go to Angels games, and not Dodger ones? Past rivalry?

Because Angels play the Red Fux and Yankees more often. You still see Celdick, Red Fux, and Yankee gear at Dodger Stadium in the rare chances they play there.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

On the food subject, I've been involved in many discussions over the years about which cities have great food. LA rarely comes up in the discussions. Some general comments:

1. Some people focus on which cities have the best high-end restaurants. In general, the high-end restaurants correlate to population and wealth. Few people really care which cities have the best five star restaurants, because most people will eat at those restaurants rarely or never.

2. Other people focus on the diversity of the food. Again, this is mostly a function of population and wealth. When a city has more money and cash, there is more room for niche cuisines. Few people really care about this, because most people are not in the market for a Burkina Faso café.

3. What really excites people is when you have a city with food that you can't get everywhere. No one really cares whether City X has great hamburgers or great Italian food, because you can get that kind of food anywhere. People do care about the creole cuisine in New Orleans, the barbecue cuisine around Austin, pizza in Chicago, cheesesteaks in Philadelphia, and so forth. Most big cities contain some version of those specialties, but it's never the real thing. People will make trips, or at least side trips, to hit those spots.

4. But other than #3, food is just a function of population and wealth. You would expect to find better food in Atlanta than Birmingham, or better food in Phoenix than Flagstaff. There are always going to be some exceptions, especially college towns and vacation destinations. But really, it's just a question of what a city can attract and support.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Simply put they all play in the American League.
Dodgers won't play the Yankees or Red Sox unless its an interleague game and even then they might not play either team if the interleague games for that year doesn't put them on the schedule. I remember the interleague games for the Dodgers and Yankees a couple of years back fetched big bucks just because those teams never face each other unless its in the World Series. This is why the World Series is so special. It pitted teams from the AL vs NL that usually never played against each other before. Its also a reason why there is a segment of fans that despises interleague games since it takes something out of the AL/NL matchups that only are supposed to happen in the World Series.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: