Losing Streak..... and Counting?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Losing Streak..... and Counting?

We’re currently on a 3 game losing streak, and looking at the upcoming schedule, next 14 games are going to be brutal:

@ Nuggets
vs Rockets
@ Sixers
@ Hornets
@ Knicks
@ Cavaliers
vs Warriors
@ Rockets
@ Warriors
vs Blazers
vs Timberwolves
vs Grizzlies
vs Clippers
@ Rockets

11 of the next 14 games are currently against teams in the playoff picture and have winning records. Lakers can’t also seem to beat the lowly teams they’re supposed to beat, doesn’t help that their leading scorer Kyle Kuzma will be questionable on playing some of these upcoming games. Highly likely our current losing streak goes well beyond this current 3 games.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

We just need to compete
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

I think just as we're capable of playing down to lesser competition (not that we're that great, but go figure), we've also been fairly and consistently competitive against better teams. My guess is we look back on this a month from now and find that the concerns about the schedule were overblown. It won't be pretty and don't get me wrong, we'll still be under .500, but I see us gutting out a decent amount of wins in this stretch.

My prediction is 5-9. Go into the new year at 13-22, but with an easier schedule the rest of the way. Even though our record is worse right now, this is NOT last year's fluke November team, so I don't foresee a long losing streak. A lot of the stuff that made us successful to this point is very sustainable, assuming the effort level is there, unlike last season.

Last edited by TheBlackMamba on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

By Jan 1, things may look a LOT different than now. That's when you may hear rumors of Brook/KCP possibly being on the trade block.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
By Jan 1, things may look a LOT different than now. That's when you may hear rumors of Brook/KCP possibly being on the trade block.

You mean because the record is so bad and they're giving up on the season, or simply because of the roster imbalance and Brook's subpar play? I would think the latter. Can't all newly signed players be included in trades starting on December 15th?
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Why would they trade te two contracts coming off the book that will be crucial for FA next year instead of waiting it out. Unless the trade is for a superstar
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Why would they trade te two contracts coming off the book that will be crucial for FA next year instead of waiting it out. Unless the trade is for a superstar

Very unlikely, but *if* they could get a first for either of them, they could then use that first as part of a package to unload Deng.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

I am not worried.

Last season we started off hot, had some injuries, then went into tank mode.

This season we are competing on the defensive end and are really close in most games even if we lose. This team is different. Yes we will likely lose a lot of these upcoming games but I think this team will be better in the second half of the season.

Why?

Well remember we had a lot of roster turnover and spent the vast majority of our shortened pre-season working on defense. Guess what our D is actually really good. But also remember Luke stated that he had no time to implement his offense. It shows. But as the season goes one the team will get time to practice more offense. And there is no tanking incentive so mark my words, we will finish the season strong!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Trade expiring for expiring in separate transactions. If the team feels it can get a late 1st/multiple 2nds for them and also do goodwill by sending them to playoff teams, it's a win/win. Lets the team play the young guys and fully evaluate. We have lots of decisions to make re: keeping some young players.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Wouldn’t that sink the 2 max plan?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

Also I think we will be competitive with Houston because we have really good 3 pointer defensive numbers. If we can take the 3 away from them we have a chance to beat them with our paint scoring.

It will be interesting to see how those games play out.
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Losing Streak..... and Counting?

Jordan-esque wrote:
We’re currently on a 3 game losing streak, and looking at the upcoming schedule, next 14 games are going to be brutal:

@ Nuggets
vs Rockets
@ Sixers
@ Hornets
@ Knicks
@ Cavaliers
vs Warriors
@ Rockets
@ Warriors
vs Blazers
vs Timberwolves
vs Grizzlies
vs Clippers
@ Rockets

11 of the next 14 games are currently against teams in the playoff picture and have winning records. Lakers can’t also seem to beat the lowly teams they’re supposed to beat, doesn’t help that their leading scorer Kyle Kuzma will be questionable on playing some of these upcoming games. Highly likely our current losing streak goes well beyond this current 3 games.

I'm not worried about those teams. They should be worried about us!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I am sure they're on the trade block. However, I don't see us moving them unless it's part of a sign-and-trade for an impending free agent we want like George or Cousins. And then we'd have to bundle them with someone else.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

well we are winning on saturday so the losing streak will end there

it's going to be a long month though
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

I think we'll do better than expected. This team is not as bad as they look. We can beat. 6-7 of those games are winnable (Nugs, Hornets, Knicks, Wolves, Griz, and Clips again). We may be able to get that Blazer team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

This season we are competing on the defensive end and are really close in most games even if we lose. This team is different. Yes we will likely lose a lot of these upcoming games but I think this team will be better in the second half of the season.
!

We started the season against a fairly easy schedule. As we are encountering better teams, our defense isn't looking as good (over the last few games we've dropped from #4 on defense to #7 -- by the end of the season I expect we'll be near the middle of the pack). That might be countered a bit by a more synchronized offense.

The challenge is that a lot of our better offensive players are not great defenders, so a lot will depend on which poison we pick.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

We always play up to the competition..no reason we cant win 5-6 of those games.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Looking like 2-12 or 3-11. It hey we are competing on the defensive end and lose really really close now !!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

We do have a more favorable schedule starting in 2018. But it's going to be some tough medicine to swallow until then.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

It's gonna be rough. As a fan though I just wanna see fight and most importantly improvement from the youngsters. Regardless of record, these young kids have to show that they are real players in this league or at least well on their way. There has to be a reason why big time free agents wanna come to LA.

Like it or not, everything that we do this year record-wise is secondary to improvement of our young assets. It's gonna suck in June when our pick goes to someone else but I'm reeeeeeeelly hoping it pays off in July.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't be surprised if we went 7-7, but more likely 5-9.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
It's gonna be rough. As a fan though I just wanna see fight and most importantly improvement from the youngsters. Regardless of record, these young kids have to show that they are real players in this league or at least well on their way. There has to be a reason why big time free agents wanna come to LA.

Like it or not, everything that we do this year record-wise is secondary to improvement of our young assets. It's gonna suck in June when our pick goes to someone else but I'm reeeeeeeelly hoping it pays off in July.

Good post, as long as we compete that’s all we can ask for
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
We just need to compete

No, No... What was it Kobe use to say. We just need to execute?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

@ Nuggets
vs Rockets
@ Sixers
@ Hornets W
@ Knicks W
@ Cavaliers
vs Warriors
@ Rockets
@ Warriors
vs Blazers
vs Timberwolves
vs Grizzlies W
vs Clippers W
@ Rockets

Yeah, I'm thinking there's two home games that I feel optimistic for the Lakers' chances, and two road games which look possible for Laker wins. The others, well, anything else our guys can earn in this stretch will be gravy.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

I’ll go with the following Ws:

Home: Rockets, Warriors, Grizzlies, Clippers
Road: Cavs

They *might* pull off 1 or 2 more; maybe @charlotte and one of twolves/blazers.

The road games are especially hard. Denver and Houston are tough at Home and so are the Knicks. I picked cavs only because they might catch them on an off night where they don’t feel like playing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: