2018 LA Angels Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Steve007
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 9179

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

I know some Angels fans don’t like the LA name either. Wouldn’t surprise me if most of the fans hate it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 9951

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject:

The LA name doesn't bother me at all. Some people just love to complain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 29636

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I know some Angels fans don’t like the LA name either. Wouldn’t surprise me if most of the fans hate it.


The city of Anaheim hated it as well....they threatened to sue and Angels threatened to leave for a new stadium away from Anaheim. That has since quieted down since the Angels have promised to stay in Anaheim till 2029.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Signed Cozart to 3yr/38 million to play 3b.

Great positional flexibility, can cover 2b and SS as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Eppler is killing the game this offseason:

2017 Starting Lineup 2018 Starting Lineup
Escobar Kinsler
Calhoun Calhoun
Trout Trout
Pujols Upton
Cron Pujols
Maybin Ohtani/Cron
Simmons Simmons
Espinoza Cozart
Maldonado Maldonado

Ya I would say that is an improvement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 12036
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Signed Cozart to 3yr/38 million to play 3b.

Great positional flexibility, can cover 2b and SS as well.


Yeah, the Angels are adding quality players, and their defense should be among the best of all teams in 2018. And since Kinsler might be a one-and-done, Cozart gives them that flexibility, as you say, heading into the 2019 season.

My guess is that the plan is to have Pujols play first base about half the time, with Ohtani DH'ing when Pujols is at first. Then when Pujols is the DH, they will probably split the first base AB's between Valbuena and Cron. Cron's salary should be low enough to where they can justify carrying him as a part-time first baseman and pinch hitter, although I suppose a trade can't be ruled out (though he doesn't have much trade value).

This sets up for Ohtani to probably pitch about once a week, and to hit about 3 times a week.
_________________
For #25: Huerter, Jontay, Okogie, DiVincenzo, Holiday, Brunson, Melton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

^^^ I completely agree. With Ohtani getting the day before and after pitching off.

They will move Cron certainly because they are going to a 6 man rotation and he's redundant to Valbuena.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 9179

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
The LA name doesn't bother me at all. Some people just love to complain.


It must annoy some Dodger fans. Reminds me of all the Laker fans who hate the Clippers and only want 1 team representing LA. I can’t count the number of times someone here said something like “Clippers need to move to Seattle.” Calling the team LA is obviously a move to try and compete with the Dodgers.

And a team calling itself Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is the worst name I’ve ever heard. Anaheim or even California sounds a million times better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 12036
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
^^^ I completely agree. With Ohtani getting the day before and after pitching off.

They will move Cron certainly because they are going to a 6 man rotation and he's redundant to Valbuena.


Well he's not redundant to Valbuena because he bats right-handed, so if there is a lefty on the mound, they might want to have Pujols DH and have Cron play first base. Ohtani and Valbuena are both lefty hitters.
_________________
For #25: Huerter, Jontay, Okogie, DiVincenzo, Holiday, Brunson, Melton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:


Well he's not redundant to Valbuena because he bats right-handed, so if there is a lefty on the mound, they might want to have Pujols DH and have Cron play first base. Ohtani and Valbuena are both lefty hitters.


He's redundant in his positional versatility (inferior actually). They are going to carry 6 SP, 7 RP, 9 starting hitters. That leaves 4 spots for back up C, 4th OF, and INF positions. Those likely go to Perez, Cowart, Valbuena and Hermosillo assuming they sign no one else. Don't see how Cron fits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 12036
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:


Well he's not redundant to Valbuena because he bats right-handed, so if there is a lefty on the mound, they might want to have Pujols DH and have Cron play first base. Ohtani and Valbuena are both lefty hitters.


He's redundant in his positional versatility (inferior actually). They are going to carry 6 SP, 7 RP, 9 starting hitters. That leaves 4 spots for back up C, 4th OF, and INF positions. Those likely go to Perez, Cowart, Valbuena and Hermosillo assuming they sign no one else. Don't see how Cron fits.


So who do you think starts at first base against lefties? You can't just assume Pujols can always play first base, and even if he did, that would mean Ohtani would have to DH against the lefty, or Valbuena. Maybe Ohtani won't have poor lefty splits, but we can't know that. So it's going to be interesting to see. Cowart was also genuinely awful--as he had been for his prior MLB career--after his hot start, which was a very small sample size.
_________________
For #25: Huerter, Jontay, Okogie, DiVincenzo, Holiday, Brunson, Melton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:


So who do you think starts at first base against lefties? You can't just assume Pujols can always play first base, and even if he did, that would mean Ohtani would have to DH against the lefty, or Valbuena. Maybe Ohtani won't have poor lefty splits, but we can't know that. So it's going to be interesting to see. Cowart was also genuinely awful--as he had been for his prior MLB career--after his hot start, which was a very small sample size.


All valid points (especially Cowart he is completely awful with the bat) but the only alternative is to cut Valbuena and he is owed like 7 million. Unless there is a more robust trade market for Valbuena than Cron I am unsure how Cron stays. He can definitely fetch more in a trade imo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14082

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:


Well he's not redundant to Valbuena because he bats right-handed, so if there is a lefty on the mound, they might want to have Pujols DH and have Cron play first base. Ohtani and Valbuena are both lefty hitters.


He's redundant in his positional versatility (inferior actually). They are going to carry 6 SP, 7 RP, 9 starting hitters. That leaves 4 spots for back up C, 4th OF, and INF positions. Those likely go to Perez, Cowart, Valbuena and Hermosillo assuming they sign no one else. Don't see how Cron fits.


So who do you think starts at first base against lefties? You can't just assume Pujols can always play first base, and even if he did, that would mean Ohtani would have to DH against the lefty, or Valbuena. Maybe Ohtani won't have poor lefty splits, but we can't know that. So it's going to be interesting to see. Cowart was also genuinely awful--as he had been for his prior MLB career--after his hot start, which was a very small sample size.


If they want, the Dodgers just got a guy the Angels can use to see if he can play 1B in Matt Kemp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 May 2008
Posts: 18940
Location: The High Desert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:


So who do you think starts at first base against lefties? You can't just assume Pujols can always play first base, and even if he did, that would mean Ohtani would have to DH against the lefty, or Valbuena. Maybe Ohtani won't have poor lefty splits, but we can't know that. So it's going to be interesting to see. Cowart was also genuinely awful--as he had been for his prior MLB career--after his hot start, which was a very small sample size.


All valid points (especially Cowart he is completely awful with the bat) but the only alternative is to cut Valbuena and he is owed like 7 million. Unless there is a more robust trade market for Valbuena than Cron I am unsure how Cron stays. He can definitely fetch more in a trade imo.


I'd like to see him traded in a deal that gets us a decent innings-eater type starter.

I was hoping to get Sabathia but he re-signed with the Yankees.
_________________
...in my opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 12036
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Posting this in both threads. Angels are a surprise here, as I didn't think Arte would be willing to pay the luxury tax...

‏ 
@JimBowdenGM
1m
1 minute ago


More
#Angels #Dodgers #Rangers #Astros #Cubs #Twins all showing interest in Yu Darvish according to club sources
_________________
For #25: Huerter, Jontay, Okogie, DiVincenzo, Holiday, Brunson, Melton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Very interesting. Presumably Ohtani has to ok that right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 12036
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Very interesting. Presumably Ohtani has to ok that right?


Well they have him under contract now, and under team control for many years, so I'm not sure what he could actually do about it. I'm sure that if the Angels are interested, it means that it wouldn't ruffle any feathers for Ohtani, though. I'm sure that the Angels wouldn't want to immediately have that relationship get off to a bad start with Ohtani and with Nez Balelo, his agent.
_________________
For #25: Huerter, Jontay, Okogie, DiVincenzo, Holiday, Brunson, Melton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 9951

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

Sho Time looked good yesterday.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
Sho Time looked good yesterday.



That he did. Touched triple digits, avg fastball of 97.8 or something absurd. Splitter and slider looked great. Retired 14 or the last 15 he faced. Really couldn't be happier as an Angel's fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 12036
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

Ohtani looked downright filthy yesterday. If he can command his pitches and not issue too many walks, he's going to be very good right away. As a pitcher, at least! His stuff is that nasty.
_________________
For #25: Huerter, Jontay, Okogie, DiVincenzo, Holiday, Brunson, Melton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Nov 2017
Posts: 2368

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Angels...Clippers...ew.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 4446

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Angels...Clippers...ew.


Yep, exactly, u can add the Ducks to the list too. LA’s JV teams will always be that, no one really cares. I truly believe they are all better off moving to other cities as their no.1 teams. Too bad we’re stuck with two JV NFL teams though lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20510
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Angels...Clippers...ew.


Yep, exactly, u can add the Ducks to the list too. LA’s JV teams will always be that, no one really cares. I truly believe they are all better off moving to other cities as their no.1 teams. Too bad we’re stuck with two JV NFL teams though lol.


Angels and Ducks have won championships in this century. Clippers haven't won (bleep).
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Angels...Clippers...ew.


Yep, exactly, u can add the Ducks to the list too. LA’s JV teams will always be that, no one really cares. I truly believe they are all better off moving to other cities as their no.1 teams. Too bad we’re stuck with two JV NFL teams though lol.


The Rams are not a JV team, have you been paying attention to this off season? They literally might have the best defensive front ever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Angels...Clippers...ew.


Yep, exactly, u can add the Ducks to the list too. LA’s JV teams will always be that, no one really cares. I truly believe they are all better off moving to other cities as their no.1 teams. Too bad we’re stuck with two JV NFL teams though lol.


Angels and Ducks have won championships in this century. Clippers haven't won (bleep).


Neither have the Dogs cough cough
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB