*** SPOILER ZONE ***Official Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread (for BOOK readers)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 5915
Location: Formerly Pow Gasol

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: *** SPOILER ZONE ***Official Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread (for BOOK readers)

Discuss away, you are safe here.


Valar Morghulis.
_________________
"Kobe Bryant is the best player in the world and is basically unstoppable when his game is on" - Barack Obama
"What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection" - Kobe Bryant

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 28176

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject:

My only question is who do you think will finish the series after George RR Martin passes? At his current rate of book releases, and judging his health from looking at his book jacket picture, there is no way he'll finish in his lifetime. Brandon Sandersen, who took over for Robert Jordan?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 23979

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
My only question is who do you think will finish the series after George RR Martin passes? At his current rate of book releases, and judging his health from looking at his book jacket picture, there is no way he'll finish in his lifetime. Brandon Sandersen, who took over for Robert Jordan?


I've been discussing this with friends that have read the books.

It's hard to say unless he has written plans.

This is supposed to be closed ended. I hope he finishes or at least passes on the outline to the conclusion to the next writer. After that, they can go in their own direction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject:

They stabbed Jon Snow to death . Don't those idiots understand that if they don't work with the wildlings, then they'll become white walkers? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. C'mon man!

Anyway, I bet Daenerys and her dragons are going to take out a bunch of white walkers in a big final battle. Dragon fire can melt stone, I'm sure it can kill the others too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 23979

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject:

What do you guys think of the slight changes in the show? So far, it's been masterfully done imo (like Theon delivering the death blow to the man at arms, forget his name).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 23979

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
They stabbed Jon Snow to death . Don't those idiots understand that if they don't work with the wildlings, then they'll become white walkers? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. C'mon man!

Anyway, I bet Daenerys and her dragons are going to take out a bunch of white walkers in a big final battle. Dragon fire can melt stone, I'm sure it can kill the others too.


I don't think he's dead for some reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
They stabbed Jon Snow to death . Don't those idiots understand that if they don't work with the wildlings, then they'll become white walkers? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. C'mon man!

Anyway, I bet Daenerys and her dragons are going to take out a bunch of white walkers in a big final battle. Dragon fire can melt stone, I'm sure it can kill the others too.


I don't think he's dead for some reason.


Yeah I am still holding out some hope, because after he was stabbed two or three times, the chapter ended, and there was no reaction or repercussions from other characters. A big cliffhanger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject:

For those who wish to hear a taste of Book 6, here's a video of the man himself, George RR Martin, reading a bit from the Victarion character's chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QlJblxV3QHQ#t=1795s
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
What do you guys think of the slight changes in the show? So far, it's been masterfully done imo (like Theon delivering the death blow to the man at arms, forget his name).


It's interesting how they cut characters out of the story to trim down on the cast and the time it would take to cover the huge world. For instance, Melissandra wanting to sacrifice Gendry instead of Edric Storm. I'm assuming Ser Davos is going to save Gendry now, and he'll find the Inn run by kids that way.

Also they substituted Loras Tyrell for the cripple Willas Tyrell.

The bluntness with which they've handled Loras Tyrell being gay has been really in-your-face too, whereas in the book it was extremely subtle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
OmegaPirate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 181

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
My only question is who do you think will finish the series after George RR Martin passes? At his current rate of book releases, and judging his health from looking at his book jacket picture, there is no way he'll finish in his lifetime. Brandon Sandersen, who took over for Robert Jordan?


Martin has said something to the effect of "You're screwed" if he dies before the series is completed. He won't allow another writer to finish it. Kind of sucks but it is his property.

I do believe that HBO has negotiated the rights, should they choose, to finish the series even if Martin dies before Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring are published. The showrunners know most of the details of how the story will end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
OmegaPirate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 181

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
What do you guys think of the slight changes in the show? So far, it's been masterfully done imo (like Theon delivering the death blow to the man at arms, forget his name).


I agree. Their adaptation has been terrific.
Probably the two biggest criticisms I've seen were of the character Ros and Dany's dream sequence in the Houses of the Undying. I had no problems with either change.

It has to be done right. Peter Jackson stuck very close to the source material in 'Fellowship and result was wonderful. Some of the changes he made to 'Towers and Return of the King just ruined them for me. All of the clunky dialogue they added and the changing of the characters (Faramir and the Frodo/Sam fight) was just bad. The showrunners for GOT have avoided those mistakes. Most of their added material has been very good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 81292
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Just edited the title to put the spoiler alert at the front, so the two threads would not be confused for each other. Carry on!
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 5915
Location: Formerly Pow Gasol

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
What do you guys think of the slight changes in the show? So far, it's been masterfully done imo (like Theon delivering the death blow to the man at arms, forget his name).


I'm totally fine with - I am not as a stickler as some with the book material and am amazed they found a way to condense all the material and still tell great stories.
_________________
"Kobe Bryant is the best player in the world and is basically unstoppable when his game is on" - Barack Obama
"What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection" - Kobe Bryant

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 5915
Location: Formerly Pow Gasol

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject:

OmegaPirate wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
My only question is who do you think will finish the series after George RR Martin passes? At his current rate of book releases, and judging his health from looking at his book jacket picture, there is no way he'll finish in his lifetime. Brandon Sandersen, who took over for Robert Jordan?


Martin has said something to the effect of "You're screwed" if he dies before the series is completed. He won't allow another writer to finish it. Kind of sucks but it is his property.

I do believe that HBO has negotiated the rights, should they choose, to finish the series even if Martin dies before Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring are published. The showrunners know most of the details of how the story will end.


Yeah I believe D & DB (show runners) and the head writer who wrote the episodes 4 & 5 just went to speak to George recently for more information.
_________________
"Kobe Bryant is the best player in the world and is basically unstoppable when his game is on" - Barack Obama
"What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection" - Kobe Bryant

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ElliotTheFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 2460
Location: Washington State

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I like this thread already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o
_________________
I'll be the King of Australia before Bynum becomes 'the man' anywhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
liltinybus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 20 Jul 2002
Posts: 428
Location: North Hollywood

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
They stabbed Jon Snow to death . Don't those idiots understand that if they don't work with the wildlings, then they'll become white walkers? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. C'mon man!

Anyway, I bet Daenerys and her dragons are going to take out a bunch of white walkers in a big final battle. Dragon fire can melt stone, I'm sure it can kill the others too.


I don't think he's dead for some reason.


I don't think he's dead, either. Or, he could be dead, but I think the Red Woman is coming around to the idea that Jon is the "chosen one." (I forget what it's called, it's been a while since I read the books, Azur Ahai or something like that)

I think she'll bring him back if he did die, by chance. George is still gonna bring him and Dany full circle, fight the others with Dany's dragons and Jon is one of the three riders, making it a song of ice (Jon) and fire (Dany) to continue the theme that started with Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Dec 2003
Posts: 14944

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Isn't the Red Wedding coming up soon? Aren't they suppose to kill Robb Stark and his momma for reneging on the deal?
_________________
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 28176

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
What do you guys think of the slight changes in the show? So far, it's been masterfully done imo (like Theon delivering the death blow to the man at arms, forget his name).


Mostly positive. I like some of the fleshed out scenes and the additional focus on non pov characters from the books. Don't like the delay in introducing the Jojens and the toning down of Arya.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 23979

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject:

liltinybus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
They stabbed Jon Snow to death . Don't those idiots understand that if they don't work with the wildlings, then they'll become white walkers? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. C'mon man!

Anyway, I bet Daenerys and her dragons are going to take out a bunch of white walkers in a big final battle. Dragon fire can melt stone, I'm sure it can kill the others too.


I don't think he's dead for some reason.


I don't think he's dead, either. Or, he could be dead, but I think the Red Woman is coming around to the idea that Jon is the "chosen one." (I forget what it's called, it's been a while since I read the books, Azur Ahai or something like that)

I think she'll bring him back if he did die, by chance. George is still gonna bring him and Dany full circle, fight the others with Dany's dragons and Jon is one of the three riders, making it a song of ice (Jon) and fire (Dany) to continue the theme that started with Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.


If he really is dead, I couldn't forgive Martin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 23979

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Isn't the Red Wedding coming up soon? Aren't they suppose to kill Robb Stark and his momma for reneging on the deal?


My guess is the Red Wedding will be this season's finale.

Season 3 and 4 are both supposed to be based off book 3. Still a lot of material left for next season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 23979

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject:

ElliotTheFan wrote:
I like this thread already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o


He does NOT sound healthy there. Dude is laboring just reaching for his paperwork.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
liltinybus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
They stabbed Jon Snow to death . Don't those idiots understand that if they don't work with the wildlings, then they'll become white walkers? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. C'mon man!

Anyway, I bet Daenerys and her dragons are going to take out a bunch of white walkers in a big final battle. Dragon fire can melt stone, I'm sure it can kill the others too.


I don't think he's dead for some reason.


I don't think he's dead, either. Or, he could be dead, but I think the Red Woman is coming around to the idea that Jon is the "chosen one." (I forget what it's called, it's been a while since I read the books, Azur Ahai or something like that)

I think she'll bring him back if he did die, by chance. George is still gonna bring him and Dany full circle, fight the others with Dany's dragons and Jon is one of the three riders, making it a song of ice (Jon) and fire (Dany) to continue the theme that started with Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.


If he really is dead, I couldn't forgive Martin.


That's how a lot of people felt about Ned Stark being killed. I think the sense of no one being safe is part of what makes the series great. It's difficult to predict what will happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 23979

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject:

OmegaPirate wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
What do you guys think of the slight changes in the show? So far, it's been masterfully done imo (like Theon delivering the death blow to the man at arms, forget his name).


I agree. Their adaptation has been terrific.
Probably the two biggest criticisms I've seen were of the character Ros and Dany's dream sequence in the Houses of the Undying. I had no problems with either change.

It has to be done right. Peter Jackson stuck very close to the source material in 'Fellowship and result was wonderful. Some of the changes he made to 'Towers and Return of the King just ruined them for me. All of the clunky dialogue they added and the changing of the characters (Faramir and the Frodo/Sam fight) was just bad. The showrunners for GOT have avoided those mistakes. Most of their added material has been very good.


What was the change?

I blew through books the books in a few weeks. I'm already losing track of so many things that happened.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 23979

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
liltinybus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
They stabbed Jon Snow to death . Don't those idiots understand that if they don't work with the wildlings, then they'll become white walkers? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. C'mon man!

Anyway, I bet Daenerys and her dragons are going to take out a bunch of white walkers in a big final battle. Dragon fire can melt stone, I'm sure it can kill the others too.


I don't think he's dead for some reason.


I don't think he's dead, either. Or, he could be dead, but I think the Red Woman is coming around to the idea that Jon is the "chosen one." (I forget what it's called, it's been a while since I read the books, Azur Ahai or something like that)

I think she'll bring him back if he did die, by chance. George is still gonna bring him and Dany full circle, fight the others with Dany's dragons and Jon is one of the three riders, making it a song of ice (Jon) and fire (Dany) to continue the theme that started with Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.


If he really is dead, I couldn't forgive Martin.


That's how a lot of people felt about Ned Stark being killed. I think the sense of no one being safe is part of what makes the series great. It's difficult to predict what will happen.


It'd be the straw for me. I have to have SOMEONE to root for. First Ned, then the wedding...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 1838

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
liltinybus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
They stabbed Jon Snow to death . Don't those idiots understand that if they don't work with the wildlings, then they'll become white walkers? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. C'mon man!

Anyway, I bet Daenerys and her dragons are going to take out a bunch of white walkers in a big final battle. Dragon fire can melt stone, I'm sure it can kill the others too.


I don't think he's dead for some reason.


I don't think he's dead, either. Or, he could be dead, but I think the Red Woman is coming around to the idea that Jon is the "chosen one." (I forget what it's called, it's been a while since I read the books, Azur Ahai or something like that)

I think she'll bring him back if he did die, by chance. George is still gonna bring him and Dany full circle, fight the others with Dany's dragons and Jon is one of the three riders, making it a song of ice (Jon) and fire (Dany) to continue the theme that started with Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.


If he really is dead, I couldn't forgive Martin.


That's how a lot of people felt about Ned Stark being killed. I think the sense of no one being safe is part of what makes the series great. It's difficult to predict what will happen.


It'd be the straw for me. I have to have SOMEONE to root for. First Ned, then the wedding...


That's really the problem with the books though. They're incredibly nihilistic. And that sentiment is not reflected in the real world. Good deeds actually do get rewarded in RL but certainly not in the world of GoT. So when everyone who is decent bites the dust or receives some horrid fate the same as those who are sinister it just takes you out of it.

Unfortunately GRRM has perhaps waited too long to correct this travesty. Most artists do their best work in a twenty year time span (on average) and if the last few books are any indication he's lost the spark now. Best thing HBO can do honestly is deviate from the books in large sections as they get closer to the most recent books. The plot isn't progressing at ALL in the last books. At least not the overall arching plot that should be completed with a book series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB