40 Best Careers in NBA History
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: 40 Best Careers in NBA History

http://www.backpicks.com/2017/12/11/the-backpicks-goat-the-40-best-careers-in-nba-history/

Looks to be a fun, long and thoughtful evaluation of the greatest players. They're slowly releasing the analysis (and rankings), but Wilt's is currently up.

# 9. Wilt - http://www.backpicks.com/2017/12/04/backpicks-goat-9-wilt-chamberlain/
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Okay, that's just plain weird. They are releasing the top 40 players out of order, starting with #9. Next up is #40, followed by #17. Okay.

Anyway, that's probably a fairly accurate discussion of Wilt, but don't let any of the Wilt fans see it. It's interesting that he is assessed as a turnover machine and a serial goaltender.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject:

It's a pretty wacky little series.

I thought the guys profile of Wilt based on viewing film clips was really good, and yes the turnover and goaltending observations were interesting.

But, man, that intro page is just horrible -- he does an incredibly poor job explaining his approach and he all but guarantees virtually no one will bother to click onto the profiles. He's very clear when writing about his film analysis; he doesn't have the gift of giving life to statistics like a Bill James can.

And I think for a guy trying to make you believe he has an amazing precise methodology, he doesn't help himself by releasing the profiles in that weird order.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

I thought the guys profile of Wilt based on viewing film clips was really good, and yes the turnover and goaltending observations were interesting.

But, man, that intro page is just horrible -- he does an incredibly poor job explaining his approach and he all but guarantees virtually no one will bother to click onto the profiles. He's very clear when writing about his film analysis; he doesn't have the gift of giving life to statistics like a Bill James can.

And I think for a guy trying to make you believe he has an amazing precise methodology, he doesn't help himself by releasing the profiles in that weird order.

I agree. I'm not sure if I'll remember in April of 2018 to check back to see the top 5.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I agree. I'm not sure if I'll remember in April of 2018 to check back to see the top 5.

Yup, the guy who is doing this writes good player profiles, but he knows squat about marketing.

Should have been:

Don't Read This If You're a Wilt Chamberlain Fan
What a Video Analysis Tells Us That the Stats Don't; and It's Not All Pretty For the Big Guy
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Wish I had those minutes back. Waste of time imo
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

He puts Bob Pettit at #30. He pretty much admits that you can't do analytics with a player from that far back, but some of the discussion about Pettit's career and what the league was like is interesting.

http://www.backpicks.com/
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

no.17 comes out on December 18th, have a feeling its gonna be Kobe with his retirement ceremony also on that day
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
no.17 comes out on December 18th, have a feeling its gonna be Kobe with his retirement ceremony also on that day

I don't sense the guy has that good a sense of marketing -- he might have no clue that Kobe's retirement ceremony is that day
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

AV was right. #17 is Jerry West. The article has an interesting history of the West-era Lakers.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

Oscar Robertson at #12
http://www.backpicks.com/2017/12/21/backpicks-goat-12-oscar-robertson/

Rick Barry #28
http://www.backpicks.com/2017/12/28/backpicks-goat-28-rick-barry/

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

Let me guess, Lebron will be #1 ?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

Julius Erving at 16

I find these articles more interesting for the historical context than the specific analysis of the players. The Oscar Robertson article talks about the clash of styles between Oscar and his coach, Bob Cousy. The Dr. J article talks about how the talent levels in the NBA and the ABA got closer toward the end, as the ABA kept poaching players and the NBA kept expanding.
Liger24Zero
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Let me guess, Lebron will be #1 ?

Lmao, I hope not.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Moses Malone at 24.

The analysis is interesting. He concludes that Malone was overrated at his peak, and I can see his point. I guess there was a certain gee whiz factor to Malone’s game. His game embodied toughness, and all of those offensive rebounds masked the fact that he was not a creator.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Larry Bird at #11

This has a nice collection of highlights for members of the younger generation who don't remember how much of a killer Bird was. The author dings Bird for his lack of longevity.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Larry Bird at #11

This has a nice collection of highlights for members of the younger generation who don't remember how much of a killer Bird was. The author dings Bird for his lack of longevity.

Same with Magic, also his defense....

#10. Magic Johnson

Quote:

All told, I consider Magic’s peak just short of the all-time greats, not only due to his defense, but because his ball-dominance introduces redundancies on good teams. On the flip side, because his offenses were so good, and his style somewhat unique, I can see an outside argument for him reaching Wilt and the next block of players. Either way, what’s clear is that with two more years comparable to his ’91 campaign, he would move up multiple spots, and with three similar seasons would be pushing the top five. Instead, he narrowly edges rival Larry Bird for the 10th-most valuable career in NBA history.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

With Magic and Bird at 10 and 11, this is going to be an unconventional list. But the rankings are less interesting than the discussions of the players. His analysis of the players' characteristics has been pretty accurate so far.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
All told, I consider Magic’s peak just short of the all-time greats, not only due to his defense, but because his ball-dominance introduces redundancies on good teams. On the flip side, because his offenses were so good, and his style somewhat unique, I can see an outside argument for him reaching Wilt and the next block of players.

Wasn't Magic's unique style the reason why the Lakers' "Showtime" offense was so great? There literally would be no up tempo offense had he not played on their team. Seem impossible to separate it. It would be like saying Steph Curry's ability to create his own shot and shoot long-range 3's at a high percentage is redundant in the Warriors offense.
Liger24Zero
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

With how the guy is doing these rankings, where do you think Kobe is going to eventually be ranked as it pertains to this list?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Liger24Zero wrote:
With how the guy is doing these rankings, where do you think Kobe is going to eventually be ranked as it pertains to this list?

September 15th?
Liger24Zero
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Liger24Zero wrote:

September 15th?

I meant like where in the top 40 do you think he's going to rank Kobe in, before the answer officially comes out.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

Liger24Zero wrote:

I wouldn't even try to guess. His rankings seem to be based on his personal opinion of some rather arbitrary factors, so it wouldn't shock me if Kobe is in top 3 or in the late teens. It's hard to predict what stuff he'll ding Kobe for since his method is so atypical.

As Hunter said, the rankings themselves don't matter much of me, but his essays on individual players are interesting.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

Liger24Zero wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Liger24Zero wrote:

September 15th?

I meant like where in the top 40 do you think he's going to rank Kobe in, before the answer officially comes out.

He meant to say April 12th.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Liger24Zero wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Liger24Zero wrote:

September 15th?

He meant to say April 12th.

Aug 24th
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: