Ball Brothers Sign With Lithuanian Club
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Ball Brothers Sign With Lithuanian Club

* LaMelo, LiAngelo Ball agree to one-year deals with first-division Lithuanian team

Quote:
LaMelo and LiAngelo Ball have turned pro, agreeing to one-year contracts with Vytautas Prienai in the first-division Lithuanian league, sources told Yahoo Sports.

LaMelo, 16, and LiAngelo Ball, 19, agreed to deals with Vytautas that will allow the two prospects to start their careers in a competitive professional league with a history of producing NBA players and focus on development. Both will report to the team in early January, sources told Yahoo Sports. LaMelo and LiAngelo — the younger brothers of Los Angeles Lakers starting point guard Lonzo Ball — began the process of exploring international deals last week.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-lamelo-liangelo-ball-agree-one-year-deals-first-division-lithuanian-team-224230655.html

Quote:
According to The Vertical, the Ball brothers signed one-year professional basketball deals with the Prienu Vytautas club in the Lithuanian league (LKL).

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/liangelo-lamelo-lavar-ball-sign-lithuanian-club-lkl-overseas-agent-ucla-china/1nrsk9hws5f3gz8ceaz00mbe1
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

Well that's quite the angle
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

I look at how LaVar's handling his sons and wonder, is it about them or him?

I'm on the education bus. He pulled his 16 year old from high school, his 19 year old from a 1st rate college. He's removed the many opportunities a education offers. He's limited their chances to succeed by limiting their opportunities.

His sons are going to be playing for a coach that doesn't speak English. How are they going to develop?

The chance of either Gelo or Melo making it to the NBA is so slim you'd have trouble sliding it under a Zack Randolph jump and we all know Zbo can't jump over a one page newspaper.

It seems to me LaVar's pushing the BBB brand with no superstar to front it. His shtick may be notoriety. I wish them luck.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm on the education bus. He pulled his 16 year old from high school, his 19 year old from a 1st rate college. He's removed the many opportunities a education offers. He's limited their chances to succeed by limiting their opportunities.

Often, I find the "education bus" is a joke for college athletes; the guys who have a shot at the pros often have zero intention of graduating and leave as soon as possible. For them, college is nothing more than a basketball trade school.

The trouble here is he is overestimating his kid's pro chances. They are the type of kids who (1) should use college to get a degree or (2) use it as a basketball training ground. But their egos are so big they can't imagine not being first round draft picks.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

This is unprecedented. I hope that the kids don't lose out because this is quite a risky endeavor.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
This is unprecedented. I hope that the kids don't lose out because this is quite a risky endeavor.

Really, this is a move done out of ego. The dad was upset the older kid was suspended so he yanked him and then yanked the younger one ... just cuz.

This is all predicated on the belief that all his sons are sure-fire NBA stars. The older kid probably had no shot, so he just loses out on a free education (but they can afford to send him to school). It might derail the younger kid's career, though.

Hard for me to care. The NBA is a zero sum game. So if they screw up their chance, that just gives the chance to someone else. Given the Ball family's sense of entitlement, it doesn't matter to me if they are the ones to lose out. Ultimately, the two brothers may just end up working for Lonzo in some capacity, bottling up their rage over what might have been.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Often, I find the "education bus" is a joke for college athletes; the guys who have a shot at the pros often have zero intention of graduating and leave as soon as possible. For them, college is nothing more than a basketball trade school.

The trouble here is he is overestimating his kid's pro chances. They are the type of kids who (1) should use college to get a degree or (2) use it as a basketball training ground. But their egos are so big they can't imagine not being first round draft picks.

The NBA should just eliminate the one year out of high school requirement. The NCAA is a racket.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I agree. If the player has the talent he should go for the money if the goal is the NBA. I used to be against high school players going straight to the NBA. Kobe changed my mind, though he's the exception to the rule when it comes to education. Kobe is a smart man.

Some have done very well, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, Moses Malone to name a few.

Again I agree. Gelo's press hasn't been good. It was a question if he'd be a starter at UCLA. In fact I'm surprised he was signed to a team over seas. Melo is a question. It's said he may have a chance.

IMO these two should have stayed in school.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Really, this is a move done out of ego.

In my opinion (not legally)....this is damn near child abuse as it relates to LaMelo.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Lavar Baltic
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

The NBA should just eliminate the one year out of high school requirement. The NCAA is a racket.

Agree. Screw the NCAA.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Agree. Screw the NCAA.

The NBA owners would really prefer if players had to stay in school longer and developed there, rather than drafting (and paying them) as teenagers. They're as much of the hypocrisy as anyone else.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ball-brothers-picked-worst-possible-place-says-american-played-lithuania-222233839.html
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ball-brothers-picked-worst-possible-place-says-american-played-lithuania-222233839.html

Let's break this down:
Quote:
Hardly anyone in the 7,500-person village of Pasvalys spoke English

But the other players, coach and refs surely did get a few words.

Quote:
Restaurants typically only served traditional Lithuanian dishes unrecognizable to Brus

Meaning no Mac, KFC. Is this really bad?

Quote:
30 to 40 minutes to the nearest big city to find a mall, a grocery store or restaurants that offered American fare.

Shorter than a traffic Jam in NY.

Quote:
Only the premier teams in Europe can afford the charter flights and high-end hotels

True, of course. But bear in mind some countries are smaller than a mid-size state in the USA, and a bus can be more effective.
Teams play once or twice a week, and it makes no sense to have a dedicated charter. This may happen when one of the teams has no flights whatsoever to the oppenents' city.

Quote:
While adjusting to a new language, climate and lifestyle

Oh yes, freezing out there in Lithuania.

Quote:
“They’ll play against players who aren’t as talented as some American players

My point is that the Ball due are not talented by US standards. One is actually a 16 year old kid.
The team better win, fans won't give a damn about player development.
Unless Ball gives them a generous donation (say 1M USD to refurbish the arena).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
30 to 40 minutes to the nearest big city to find a mall, a grocery store

At least they will be less likely to steal something.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Quote:
30 to 40 minutes to the nearest big city to find a mall, a grocery store

At least they will be less likely to steal something.

Crime as forbidden in those countries even after the Soviet Union. Meaning, if you committed a crime, you'd rot in a jail, and no one would give a rat's a§§ about your familiy, justice, or whatever.

However, if the teams wins anything, with their contribution, they will be gods.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

Lavar Ball would move up in my opinion if he goes to Lithuania with his 2 kids for a year, but I doubt he would do that since it gets him away from the sports media like ESPN. Guess his kids will have to learn how great their life in Chino Hills was by playing in an eastern European country.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I think they should implement the 3 year after graduation NFL rule.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

My opinion is that you should be free to go pro after high school. But if you decide to go the college basketball route and take up a scholarship you should be committed to that school for 3 years like the NFL. That way the players that don't want to go to school can do it and the players that feel like they want to play college basketball won't waste the school's money on a one and done player.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Good news is at least we won't have to hear from LaVar for a while when he's overseas with his boys. (Unless an ESPN or FSN correspondent travels with him to Lithuania).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

My opinion is that you should be free to go pro after high school. But if you decide to go the college basketball route and take up a scholarship you should be committed to that school for 3 years like the NFL. That way the players that don't want to go to school can do it and the players that feel like they want to play college basketball won't waste the school's money on a one and done player.

That makes no sense to me The NFL's position is that the physical, mental, and emotional demands of pro football are beyond the capabilities of anyone before they reach a certain age. That's mostly a hypocrisy of wanting a free farm system to develop players.

I don't see the point of a rule that it's OK to join the NBA at after high school or after three years of college but not in-between those two points.

And believe me, the one-and-done players aren't "wasting" the school's money. The school's are financially benefiting from the players. Even beyond that, the NBA shouldn't be concerned about the finances of college.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I look at how LaVar's handling his sons and wonder, is it about them or him?

His sons are going to be playing for a coach that doesn't speak English. How are they going to develop?

The chance of either Gelo or Melo making it to the NBA is so slim you'd have trouble sliding it under a Zack Randolph jump and we all know Zbo can't jump over a one page newspaper.

It seems to me LaVar's pushing the BBB brand with no superstar to front it. His shtick may be notoriety. I wish them luck.

If you're on the education bus then you'd want LaMelo and Liangelo to stay in college for 4 years and get their degree before coming to the NBA.

The reality is they'd have been one and done's.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I think that a team should be allowed to draft you after you've finished your first year of college, but you essentially have the option to go back to college and do more years if you want/need. Of course obviously depending on your attitude/behavior, your deal/contract can be voided by the team that drafts you depending on your actions. So you still need to be on good behavior.

But basically, a team drafts you, you can go back to college, the moment you officially are done with college though(whenever you choose),the team that drafts you has to sign you between the end of that college season, and the start of the next NBA Draft.

For example, like if the Lakers got the Number 1 pick, and drafted Karl Anthony Towns with it. He'd be able to go back to Kentucky for the next season or however he wants, it's just that when he's officially finished with college and has made the decision to turn pro, and thus forfeit any further college basketball years, the Lakers have to then sign him between the end of that college season and the start of the NBA Draft.

That's how the Celtics got Larry Bird. They drafted him, he went back to college and finished his year, and then left college and the Celtics signed him.

I think that's the kind of thing that they should look at for the draft.

That way kids don't feel pressured to have to leave after one year.

The Lakers could draft Deandre Ayton one season and RJ Barrett the next season. But they return to college or wherever so they aren't 'officially' on the roster yet but the moment they officially declare themselves eligible to be signed(a season or so later), the Lakers can then sign the both of them officially, but they HAVE to do it before the start of the next NBA Draft and the end of that college season that either declares official if that is the case.

That's what I'd like to see anyway.

I wouldn't mind thinking a kid should stay in college for 2-3 more seasons but still draft him so that at the end of those 2-3 seasons we can get that version of him that worked on his game instead of potentially putting him through "too much too soon" nor that he'd feel forced to feel he HAS to leave college after one year and risk 'too much too soon'.

The Lakers draft Deandre Ayton in the 2018-2019 NBA Draft
The Lakers draft RJ Barrett in the 2019-2020 NBA Draft

Ayton goes back to college for another season and officially declares as an NBA player in 2020.
RJ Barrett decides one year is enough and decides to officially declare as an NBA Player in 2020.

The Lakers Officially sign both in 2020.

I could get behind that kind of draft situation.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Lavar Baltic

All their neighboring nations have inferior potassium.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Lavar Baltic

All their neighboring nations have inferior potassium.

This my son, LiAngelo. He number 3 african american in all of Lithuania. Very naaaaiz.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: