Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Spoilers

You fix the entire movie if you do two things.
Force an editor to shorten the Finn storyline at least by ten minutes.
Second and this one is unforgivable. Leave Leah on the dang starship and have her hit that puppy at hyper speed. An epic death and then movie 8 becomes how both Skywalkers die in order to save the rebellion.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Spoilers don't bother me but at least have the decency to put SPOILERS in the thread title.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Bombers that require manual release. Is this 1942?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Reilec142002
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject:

SPOILERS

Im largely disappointed with the storylines for Snoke and Luke. Both interesting characters that needed more storyline development.

-We waited 30 years to see Jedi Master Luke...we SORT OF got that but not really. Even Mark Hamill himself has said he disagreed with some of the Luke storyline choices.
-Snoke was interesting. I would have liked to know where he came from. We all know he was going to die during this trilogy...just not yet. Another Boba Fett: complete waste of a character.

These people just seem too excited to get rid of the old and introduce the new. Too much too soon.

I honestly hope this series goes all the way with the subversion of our expectations: make the bad guys win. Theyve REALLY invested a lot into Kylo Ren. I think they might need to truly consider going all the way and having him end up "winning." With movies 10/11/12 there to show his downfall. Hes the perfect age to play that character for a number of years.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

I loved how they were gravity guided to the dreadnaught ship.

oh wait, what gravity????
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

Here's my take and I'll leave it at this. Preface: I'm old enough to have seen all the originals in theaters when they were released. For the most part my days of staying out all night and partying are but a memory. These days I'm usually in bed by 11 and up at 6. So I was a little weary about going to an 11 pm show. Not once did I doze off. Not once did a lose interest. To the contrary I didn't want the experience to end. Maybe I'm a simpleton and easily entertained, but going in with extremely high expectations this movie did not disappoint.

OTOH, I watched a bit of ROTJ last night. I think a lot of people forget that the original trilogy movies are not that great. Sure they have their charm and can be enjoyable, but some of the dialogue is ridiculous and for example, Porgs > Ewoks. As for the prequels, forget it. They're not even close to the quality of the originals and these last two. Hayden Christiansen is a horrible actor and how a director can make Natalie Portman look like a high school drama student is beyond me.

Summary: TLJ is necessarily moving the franchise forward and I can't wait to see where JJ takes the next installment.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. 4/5.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Here's my take and I'll leave it at this. Preface: I'm old enough to have seen all the originals in theaters when they were released. For the most part my days of staying out all night and partying are but a memory. These days I'm usually in bed by 11 and up at 6. So I was a little weary about going to an 11 pm show. Not once did I doze off. Not once did a lose interest. To the contrary I didn't want the experience to end. Maybe I'm a simpleton and easily entertained, but going in with extremely high expectations this movie did not disappoint.

OTOH, I watched a bit of ROTJ last night. I think a lot of people forget that the original trilogy movies are not that great. Sure they have their charm and can be enjoyable, but some of the dialogue is ridiculous and for example, Porgs > Ewoks. As for the prequels, forget it. They're not even close to the quality of the originals and these last two. Hayden Christiansen is a horrible actor and how a director can make Natalie Portman look like a high school drama student is beyond me.

Summary: TLJ is necessarily moving the franchise forward and I can't wait to see where JJ takes the next installment.

Nailed it.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Kylo Ren is the only interesting thing about this franchise. Everything else about the new trilogy has just been handled poorly. Story is almost non existent and ughhh. I can go on and on but man Disney why you gotta do Star Wars and especially Luke like that.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

If they wanted to sever ties with the other 6 movies then why bring back Han, Luke and Leia at all? Simply to kill them off? You could have done a complete reboot and said in one line that "the last of the jedi died 20 years ago" to explain why there was no Luke.

It seems JJ and RJ didn't collaborate at all which is why the 2 movies don't fit well together at all. Episode 8 was far from perfect but it captured the Star Wars magic for the most part and fit with the rest. The tone was set in that movie for the trilogy and then RJ just said "bleep that, I want to be different. I'm going to write so much unnecessary comedy I'll make Joss Whedon seem like Scorcese."
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

I saw TFA 13 times in theaters because I am a huge Star Wars fan. My 2 favorite things in the world are Star Wars and the Lakers.

Luke Skywalker is my favorite character of all time. Movies, television, books, comics. Luke Skywalker is who I wanted to be as a child. I understand that some people are upset about the treatment of older characters, but I knew this would happen once the new trilogy was announced. It's why the announcement of the new trilogy was bittersweet for me. I knew it would take away the happy ending from Return of the Jedi that we had for over 20 years. Instead of happily ever after, bad things would undoubtedly happen to Luke, Han, and Leia due to the age of the actors and the need to move the story to someone new.
Reilec142002
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

And those bad things were fine. The handling of Han was great. Luke was...ok. I think that could have been done better.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
Kylo Ren is the only interesting thing about this franchise. Everything else about the new trilogy has just been handled poorly. Story is almost non existent and ughhh. I can go on and on but man Disney why you gotta do Star Wars and especially Luke like that.

You've stated your distaste for this film several times in this thread you started apparently with the sole intention of generating negativity toward it and I suspect some sort of personal vendetta against Disney. I'm not sure how many different ways you think you need to express yourself, but your point was taken several pages ago.

Look, we all have our various facets of what we like to see in a SW movie. By all accounts this movie will be a rousing success regardless of whether you agree or not. As will the next one, and the next one, and so on, and so on. And like all SW movies, some will love them, and some will not. One thing is for certain, you cannot speak them out of existence.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I'm not someone who grew up with the Star Wars movies so I don't have the emotional attachment that many people do, but I certainly could appreciate the quality of the earlier films versus the prequel trilogy. Having said that, I thought TLJ was the closest to being a great Hollywood movie in its own right, rather than just a great standalone Star Wars movie (meaning that as a compliment). I was legitimately caught off guard by some of the twists and turns that were thrown at us (while still fitting in and being somewhat reasonable from a plot standpoint), which was a pleasant surprise given the tried and true formula that the Star Wars films have mostly stuck to over the years.

TFA followed the old blueprint to a fault, IMO, with Abrams (a superfan himself) playing the nostalgia card to reignite fan excitement after the failed prequels. But the similarities to A New Hope also led to an incredibly predictable story. Thankfully TLJ takes what we thought we knew and expected and turns it all on its head, and now this is when the new trilogy begins to distinguish itself from everything that came before it. I imagine that's what pissed off all the diehards more than anything - so many fan theories flushed down the drain. But I mean, if all you wanted is a rehashed version of Empire and RotJ, why don't you just go re-watch the originals?
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Reilec142002 wrote:
And those bad things were fine. The handling of Han was great. Luke was...ok. I think that could have been done better.

<SPOILER>

That was the one thing I was unsure how I felt about. I thought there was a role for Luke to play in the last movie. The way he went out was underplayed and confusing. Also, what was the point of him using a Force projection and not confronting Ren directly when he didn't end up surviving anyway? A brief misdirection that made it seem like he was going to make it through the movie unscathed.

</SPOILER>
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-have-disney-strike-star-wars-episode-viii-from-the-official-canon
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
I saw TFA 13 times in theaters because I am a huge Star Wars fan. My 2 favorite things in the world are Star Wars and the Lakers.

Luke Skywalker is my favorite character of all time. Movies, television, books, comics. Luke Skywalker is who I wanted to be as a child. I understand that some people are upset about the treatment of older characters, but I knew this would happen once the new trilogy was announced. It's why the announcement of the new trilogy was bittersweet for me. I knew it would take away the happy ending from Return of the Jedi that we had for over 20 years. Instead of happily ever after, bad things would undoubtedly happen to Luke, Han, and Leia due to the age of the actors and the need to move the story to someone new.

I don’t have the same connection to the character that you describe, but as a casual fan I think they handled Luke’s story in this film beautifully. Granting a character the opportunity to be human, and all the complexities that go along with it is the best gift you can give to a character. I realize this isn’t the Luke fans are accustomed to, but how sad and unfortunate it would have been to meet Luke forty years later and find him exactly as we left him.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

I don’t have the same connection to the character that you describe, but as a casual fan I think they handled Luke’s story in this film beautifully. Granting a character the opportunity to be human, and all the complexities that go along with it is the best gift you can give to a character. I realize this isn’t the Luke fans are accustomed to, but how sad and unfortunate it would have been to meet Luke forty years later and find him exactly as we left him.

Unfortunately there is being human, and then there is changing a character to their core.

Luke, even a despondent, irreconcilable Luke, would run to save his beloved sister. At is his core that is who he is. Would you leave your sister in her hour of need even in your darkest place? Of course not. I wouldn't and I hate my sister. In the movie, he hemmed and hawed till the last possible second and just when it was like "ok here he comes" he dies. Not in battle like it seemed he would, but evaporating into the Force ala Yoda.

I was disappointed.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

I hope I didn't give the impression that I disliked what happened to Luke. I enjoyed the film overall, and while I was hoping he would survive, I accepted that there was a good chance he wouldn't for the reasons I mentioned. Honestly, JJ Abrams probably changed Luke's character more than RJ did. TFA had a Luke Skywalker that ran away from the action, something that completely goes against his character. TLJ had to give the reason for this and think they did a good job of it.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

>Laura Dern's hair was purple...why
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

Gotta put that space gravity to good use!
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

Here's an interesting take, one that I agree with, on what this film accomplishes with one of it's biggest reveals. Spoiler Warning: Do not read if you haven't seen the movie.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Here's an interesting take, one that I agree with, on what this film accomplishes with one of it's biggest reveals. Spoiler Warning: Do not read if you haven't seen the movie.

The biggest problem with Rey isnt that she is a nobody. Its that she hasnt done anything to warrant her abilities. If writers are relying on ohh she just has courage, strong will, and determination to overcome the odds it comes off as cheap. Rey beats a jedi that trained under Luke and Snoke the first time they meet when she uses a lightsaber the first time? She has total control of the force after two lessons with Luke that happen in less than 6 hours?

This writer of the article doesnt understand that Luke even without being Vaders son would have still been an interesting character amd one that had to go through great trials to overcome his odds. Amd guess what? Even with all his training he still couldnt beat the emperor without his fathers help. The way they've handled character development these past two movies have been underwhelming to say the least
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The biggest problem with Rey isnt that she is a nobody. Its that she hasnt done anything to warrant her abilities. If writers are relying on ohh she just has courage, strong will, and determination to overcome the odds it comes off as cheap. Rey beats a jedi that trained under Luke and Snoke the first time they meet when she uses a lightsaber the first time? She has total control of the force after two lessons with Luke that happen in less than 6 hours?

Regarding the bolded:

1) The "she's a nobody" is a parallel to Anakin Skywalker who was the unknown son of a slave, same with the force sensitive slave child at the end.
2) Luke left Yoda in Empire without completing his training and almost beat Vader in their first meeting- It's also made pretty clear that Ben is no Vader.
3) 6 Hours? She was on the Island with Luke much longer than 6 hours....

Geez, for someone that hates the movie as much as you do, you sure don't seem to know much about it.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Saw it again. The movie was a great thrill ride. The story wasn't that great but it was fun to watch. Only parts that I hated were Rose and Finn.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14
Jump to: