LaVar Ball wants to start league for high school graduates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 3874

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: LaVar Ball wants to start league for high school graduates

LaVar Ball said Wednesday that he's launching a basketball league for nationally-ranked players who have graduated from high school but don't want to go to college.

Ball's Junior Basketball Association, which he says is fully funded by his Big Baller Brand, plans to pay the lowest-ranked player a salary of $3,000 a month and the best player $10,000 a month, Ball said. Ball is looking for 80 players to fill 10 teams that will seek to play at NBA arenas in Los Angeles, Dallas, Brooklyn and Atlanta.

"Getting these players is going to be easy," Ball told ESPN. "This is giving guys a chance to get a jump start on their career, to be seen by pro scouts, and we're going to pay them because someone has to pay these kids."

Ball said the rules of his league will follow those of the NBA instead of college -- 12-minute quarters and a pro 3-point line.

Ball said he was partly motivated by the comments made earlier in the month by NCAA president Mark Emmert, who was asked at a SportsBusiness Journal conference whether Ball was good or bad for the college game.

"Is this about someone being part of a university and playing basketball or any other sport with that school's jersey on representing that institution, or is it about preparing me for my career, my professional career as a ballplayer," Emmert responded, just a few days after Ball's son LiAngelo left UCLA to turn pro before even playing his first minutes. "If it's the latter, you can do that inside a university and that might be a really good way to go. But if you don't want to and you don't think that it's right for your family then don't come."

"He was right," Ball said. "Those kids who are one and done, they shouldn't be there with the NCAA trying to hold them hostage, not allowing them to keep the jersey they wear while selling replicas of them in stores," Ball said. "So our guy isn't going to go to Florida State for a year. He's going to come to our league."

Ball said since Big Baller Brand is promoting the league, all players must agree to wear only Big Baller Brand products, including BBB shoes on the court.

"We'll give it to them all," Ball said. "They'll be wearing our uniform, our shoes, our T-shirts and our hoodies."

Ball admits there's a lot of work to do to get the league ready. No venues have been rented out and ticket prices haven't been set. He also doesn't have any players yet -- the league won't include LiAngelo and LaMelo, who will be finishing up their first season with Prienai Birstonas Vytautus in Lithuania.

The logo for the league features a silhouette of his son Lonzo, who plays for the Los Angeles Lakers, going to the hoop for a dunk.

"We don't need a logo of a guy dribbling," Ball said, an obvious reference to the NBA's famous Jerry West silhouette. "Nobody does that anymore."

http://www.espn.in/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21827823/lavar-ball-wants-start-league-high-school-graduates

Logo:

http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F1220%2Fr304886_200x113_16%2D9.png&w=267
_________________
Showtime 2.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 16603

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

Nice idea. I wonder how well he will be able to have this league run logistically; he has hard enough time delivering t-shirts in a timely fashion. Also not a fan of mandating they play in that $60 sketchers sneaker. Interested to see what the aftermath is if this is successful.

Last edited by dont_be_a_wuss on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: LaVar Ball wants to start league for high school graduates

saetarubia wrote:
LaVar Ball said Wednesday that he's launching a basketball league for nationally-ranked players who have graduated from high school but don't want to go to college.

Ball's Junior Basketball Association, which he says is fully funded by his Big Baller Brand, plans to pay the lowest-ranked player a salary of $3,000 a month and the best player $10,000 a month, Ball said. Ball is looking for 80 players to fill 10 teams that will seek to play at NBA arenas in Los Angeles, Dallas, Brooklyn and Atlanta.

"Getting these players is going to be easy," Ball told ESPN. "This is giving guys a chance to get a jump start on their career, to be seen by pro scouts, and we're going to pay them because someone has to pay these kids."

Ball said the rules of his league will follow those of the NBA instead of college -- 12-minute quarters and a pro 3-point line.

Ball said he was partly motivated by the comments made earlier in the month by NCAA president Mark Emmert, who was asked at a SportsBusiness Journal conference whether Ball was good or bad for the college game.

"Is this about someone being part of a university and playing basketball or any other sport with that school's jersey on representing that institution, or is it about preparing me for my career, my professional career as a ballplayer," Emmert responded, just a few days after Ball's son LiAngelo left UCLA to turn pro before even playing his first minutes. "If it's the latter, you can do that inside a university and that might be a really good way to go. But if you don't want to and you don't think that it's right for your family then don't come."

"He was right," Ball said. "Those kids who are one and done, they shouldn't be there with the NCAA trying to hold them hostage, not allowing them to keep the jersey they wear while selling replicas of them in stores," Ball said. "So our guy isn't going to go to Florida State for a year. He's going to come to our league."

Ball said since Big Baller Brand is promoting the league, all players must agree to wear only Big Baller Brand products, including BBB shoes on the court.

"We'll give it to them all," Ball said. "They'll be wearing our uniform, our shoes, our T-shirts and our hoodies."

Ball admits there's a lot of work to do to get the league ready. No venues have been rented out and ticket prices haven't been set. He also doesn't have any players yet -- the league won't include LiAngelo and LaMelo, who will be finishing up their first season with Prienai Birstonas Vytautus in Lithuania.

The logo for the league features a silhouette of his son Lonzo, who plays for the Los Angeles Lakers, going to the hoop for a dunk.

"We don't need a logo of a guy dribbling," Ball said, an obvious reference to the NBA's famous Jerry West silhouette. "Nobody does that anymore."

http://www.espn.in/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21827823/lavar-ball-wants-start-league-high-school-graduates

Logo:

http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F1220%2Fr304886_200x113_16%2D9.png&w=267


Nice diss of a Laker legend...I'm sure that is going to go over well with the fans of the team your son plays for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 8978

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

Being a thorn at the giant called NCAA... careful now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26565

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

Hey, if he already has his own logo, the work is 80% done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 25365
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

so the league logo will be of a player that has or never will play in said league? makes total sense
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 16603

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

He wants an 80 player league made of players who expect to go pro in a 60 player draft, 30 spots of which are non-guaranteed, the majority of which will still most likely come from the NCAA. And how about weight rooms, trainers, million dollar coaches and the other tools available at top programs to help develop players? Is Lavar going to train them all?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Shecky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 76

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Getting a TV contract will be imperative but as much as I can't stand the NCAA, this won't be any kind of death blow to them. Emmanuel Mudiay and Terrence Ferguson went overseas in lieu of college and it appears to have worked out for them (..'cept for Denver's decision to take Mudiay 5th overall.)
It's not a bad idea but when many of these kids don't make the NBA or get an overseas contract, what then? And let's not act as if a Duke or Notre Dame education worth around $250K is "nothing." Should a player choose to go pro early and it doesn't work out they can always return to finish their degree, if they choose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

The biggest problem for a league like this is attendance. You can watch a college basketball game pretty cheap. An NBA game is relatively affordable if you don't mind sitting in the nosebleeds. Unless this league gets a guy like the next Lebron, it will struggle financially.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 127672
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Shecky wrote:
Getting a TV contract will be imperative but as much as I can't stand the NCAA, this won't be any kind of death blow to them. Emmanuel Mudiay and Terrence Ferguson went overseas in lieu of college and it appears to have worked out for them (..'cept for Denver's decision to take Mudiay 5th overall.)
It's not a bad idea but when many of these kids don't make the NBA or get an overseas contract, what then? And let's not act as if a Duke or Notre Dame education worth around $250K is "nothing." Should a player choose to go pro early and it doesn't work out they can always return to finish their degree, if they choose.


Kids can go to the G League straight out of high school if they don’t want to go to college. They would get paid, could have shoe deals and play under the view of NBA teams.
_________________
It’s a girl, my lord, in a flat bed Ford.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 9609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

poor Lonzo, he will be lucky to have a nickle left after his dad blows all his Laker money on his own half brained ventures.
_________________
anti-tank.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 16603

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
poor Lonzo, he will be lucky to have a nickle left after his dad blows all his Laker money on his own half brained ventures.


How much do you think they get from facebook for Ball in The Family?

Also on a side note. Do you think footwear matters? He wore Kobe's on Monday and had one of his best games of the regular season, on the offensive end. I really am not a believer in Brand Black for quality footwear. The only positive review is from Nightwing who has brandblack in his pocket. He has his own editions of brand black shoes, and his own color schemes on brand black shoes. You cannot trust his reviews at all. Right now, I really think those shoes are hurting his performance. And now they want all the players in the BSJBA to wear those Skechers? Lavar has fallen far in my book.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 25365
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
How much do you think they get from facebook for Ball in The Family?


I would guess almost nothing. Most of those social media streaming only shows, even the popular ones do not have the ratings of PBS exercise shows. My guess is he is doing it basically for the brand building aspect.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 16603

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
How much do you think they get from facebook for Ball in The Family?


I would guess almost nothing. Most of those social media streaming only shows, even the popular ones do not have the ratings of PBS exercise shows. My guess is he is doing it basically for the brand building aspect.


I agree. That has been my position, and that he is mostly spending Lonzo's game checks on all these luxuries. He is not as smart as he thinks he is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 1873

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject:

Good idea but to pull it off would take some serious loot and a solid team or company of top notch people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 3874

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
How much do you think they get from facebook for Ball in The Family?


I would guess almost nothing. Most of those social media streaming only shows, even the popular ones do not have the ratings of PBS exercise shows. My guess is he is doing it basically for the brand building aspect.


I doubt it. If they are getting next to nothing, might as well have uploaded on Youtube and monetized it. Even pirated versions of the show on YT reach 1 million in 24 hrs before being taken down. It's also being produced by the same company that does Kardashian shows. My guess is LaVar is making at least a million or two from it and hence reached a deal with FB.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4007938/The-10-Highest-Paid-YouTube-stars.html
_________________
Showtime 2.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 2296

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

What kind of medical insurance would they provide? Look at Michael Porter at Missouri. Dude got back surgery. Will this league provide that type of care? If I'm a top player I think about this.

Also, this league is dependent on the one and done rule. If it goes away, this league goes away.

Also, where do these kids train during the season? 24 hr fitness like the Balls? Everybody gets a 2yr membership from Costco?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 92955
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

Man NCAA ball is terrible to watch.

Can't imagine how terrible his league would be to watch from an on court competition sense.
_________________
We can wait. Do not trade Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart. Chase max FA in 2019 instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 25365
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
How much do you think they get from facebook for Ball in The Family?


I would guess almost nothing. Most of those social media streaming only shows, even the popular ones do not have the ratings of PBS exercise shows. My guess is he is doing it basically for the brand building aspect.


I doubt it. If they are getting next to nothing, might as well have uploaded on Youtube and monetized it. Even pirated versions of the show on YT reach 1 million in 24 hrs before being taken down. It's also being produced by the same company that does Kardashian shows. My guess is LaVar is making at least a million or two from it and hence reached a deal with FB.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4007938/The-10-Highest-Paid-YouTube-stars.html


I will just say I would be shocked if it is even a tiny % of your estimate....but since we do not have the facts, we cant say who is wrong, right, close, etc. I will say those YouTube stars are an extremely different situation....both in the amount of content published and external revenue. As a father of a teenage daughter, I routinely put out absurd amounts of money for my daughter to go to different "YouTube Stars" shows and VIP passes to meet people that even she is not really able to explain to me what their actual talent is...but anyway, those guys tour, do paid appearances, etc...just like rock stars.

In regards to the actual show, the revenue earned by the production company would come from its ability to wield advertising power, and those platforms usually only command fractions of a penny to a television dollar. On top of that, the more "produced" the show is, the greater expenses have to be taken from the revenue earned. Again, my guess is the production company is using it as a trial balloon for potential mass distribution via television, Facebook is using as a market entry product, and the Ball's are using it to build their brand....but I doubt anyone is doing much more than breaking even.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 25365
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Man NCAA ball is terrible to watch.

Can't imagine how terrible his league would be to watch from an on court competition sense.


It is so terrible it generates billions of $ annually.....almost all of it based on peoples desire to watch.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26565

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
How much do you think they get from facebook for Ball in The Family?


I would guess almost nothing. Most of those social media streaming only shows, even the popular ones do not have the ratings of PBS exercise shows. My guess is he is doing it basically for the brand building aspect.


I doubt it. If they are getting next to nothing, might as well have uploaded on Youtube and monetized it. Even pirated versions of the show on YT reach 1 million in 24 hrs before being taken down. It's also being produced by the same company that does Kardashian shows. My guess is LaVar is making at least a million or two from it and hence reached a deal with FB.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4007938/The-10-Highest-Paid-YouTube-stars.html



Facebook is looking to build a video network. I suspect they are covering the production costs and giving them a decent profit, even though Facebook itself is losing money on the deal.

The real question is whether it will gain enough eyeballs for Facebook to continue. While the Balls get a lot of press, I virtually never hear anyone mention their reality show, even on LG. And if people aren't talking about it here, it's hard to imagine they are talking about it anywhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
poor Lonzo, he will be lucky to have a nickle left after his dad blows all his Laker money on his own half brained ventures.


Hope Lonzo stashed away some of his NBA money away that nobody can touch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 3874

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
How much do you think they get from facebook for Ball in The Family?


I would guess almost nothing. Most of those social media streaming only shows, even the popular ones do not have the ratings of PBS exercise shows. My guess is he is doing it basically for the brand building aspect.


I doubt it. If they are getting next to nothing, might as well have uploaded on Youtube and monetized it. Even pirated versions of the show on YT reach 1 million in 24 hrs before being taken down. It's also being produced by the same company that does Kardashian shows. My guess is LaVar is making at least a million or two from it and hence reached a deal with FB.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4007938/The-10-Highest-Paid-YouTube-stars.html



Facebook is looking to build a video network. I suspect they are covering the production costs and giving them a decent profit, even though Facebook itself is losing money on the deal.

The real question is whether it will gain enough eyeballs for Facebook to continue. While the Balls get a lot of press, I virtually never hear anyone mention their reality show, even on LG. And if people aren't talking about it here, it's hard to imagine they are talking about it anywhere.


FB renewed it for second season and 4 episodes of that season have been streamed. First episodes of both seasons have a lot of views, but after that each episode is around 1 Million mark. But as I said, many prefer watching pirated versions on YT. I myself have seen few episodes on YT when FB streaming was buffering. YT streams usually hit 1 M before official one on FB does many times.

I've seen Isiah Thomas and Dennis Scott on NBA TV telling Lonzo that they watch the show. Isiah asked Zo about the new home they are shifting to which was shown in the last episode of season 1.
_________________
Showtime 2.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

My guess is if they manage to get the league off the ground they will probably end up playing in high school gyms.College gyms is most likely off limits especially during the college basketball season, and a place like Staples Center is always booked with events (not to mention it costs money to open up a big arena like that).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 92955
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Man NCAA ball is terrible to watch.

Can't imagine how terrible his league would be to watch from an on court competition sense.


It is so terrible it generates billions of $ annually.....almost all of it based on peoples desire to watch.


B/c it's tied to colleges with its alumni and so on. You have swathes of people watching their "alma mater."

With nameless high school kids? who wants to watch poor basketball that has no ties to things like your alma mater?
_________________
We can wait. Do not trade Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart. Chase max FA in 2019 instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB