What happened to the defense?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: What happened to the defense?

I brought this up a while back but I have to ask again, what the F is going on on the defensive end? Did the guys just flat gave up on the season and just don't give a damn? Caused they play like it. They get killed on the board the first half and do we see any adjustment? They let a guy just walk right in and put the ball back with like 30 sec left in a 2 point game. Where's the fundamental, boxing out? I can live with guys missing dunks, missing FTs, cause some night the shots just won't fall, but standing around and let a horrible Hawks team get whatever shot they want is just unacceptable. Seeing Sasha, Luke and Cook out there against the Hawks team was just sad, they've got to the slowest, most unathletic group on any NBA roster.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to the defense?

DocK36 wrote:
I brought this up a while back but I have to ask again, what the F is going on on the defensive end? .

Ask Smush, Kwame & Cook -- they are NOT NBA caliber playoff players much less championship caliber bench players.
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Cook is a major reason the Defense is bad...he should be only used as a backup for 10-15 min's a game.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject:

too much time is focused on the damn triangle
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject:

Went to Houston for seats to the All-star game.
venicebeach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject:

We don't have a defence
2The4th
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject:

Defense didn't show up to work, I guess. Defense has been tardy recently.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject:

We think that playing defense is overrated. We're very accommodating in the fact that we allow the opposition to run their offense and get any shot they want.
novano2004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:

gone with the wind my friend goooooooooone with the wind.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:

Good question it's been missing the last 11 games.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:

novano2004 wrote:
gone with the wind my friend goooooooooone with the wind.

Yup.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject:

The problem is we have a bunch of mediocre guys incapable of multi-tasking. They hustled a lot more when Kobe was taking all the shots and they were chasing his garbage. Now that they have been 'included,' and Kobe is involving everybody, defense and hustle is the furthest thing from their mind. They're involved now.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
The problem is we have a bunch of mediocre guys incapable of multi-tasking. They hustled a lot more when Kobe was taking all the shots and they were chasing his garbage. Now that they have been 'included,' and Kobe is involving everybody, defense and hustle is the furthest thing from their mind. They're involved now.

Nope - don't buy it. Defense is effort, and they just aren't bringing effort. If you can point to one game, just one game where they played tough D, then they have proven they can play tough D. If they don't bring the D, then they aren't brining the effort, period. When they have tough shooting nights against good teams, then a loss is always possible no matter how tough they play D. But when they have tough shooting nights agains an Atlanta or a Charloette, they are not earning thier pay checks. Period.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

RJBaca wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Nope - don't buy it. Defense is effort, and they just aren't bringing effort. If you can point to one game, just one game where they played tough D, then they have proven they can play tough D. If they don't bring the D, then they aren't brining the effort, period. When they have tough shooting nights against good teams, then a loss is always possible no matter how tough they play D. But when they have tough shooting nights agains an Atlanta or a Charloette, they are not earning thier pay checks. Period.

What exactly do you think I'm saying?? I don't disagree with you at all. In the first 2 months of the season when Kobe was taking all the shots and catching hell for it, the Lakers played better defensively. Now that they have been included into the offense and Kobe is curbing himself for the better of the team, the effort guys were putting out on defense the first part of the season is gone.

And the Lakers didn't have a tough shooting night against Atlanta. They scored 110 points. That should be enough to beat the vast majority of teams in the NBA. They just decided not to play any defense, something that has been a growing trend since the latter part of December.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
RJBaca wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

What exactly do you think I'm saying?? I don't disagree with you at all. In the first 2 months of the season when Kobe was taking all the shots and catching hell for it, the Lakers played better defensively. Now that they have been included into the offense and Kobe is curbing himself for the better of the team, the effort guys were putting out on defense the first part of the season is gone.

And the Lakers didn't have a tough shooting night against Atlanta. They scored 110 points. That should be enough to beat the vast majority of teams in the NBA. They just decided not to play any defense, something that has been a growing trend since the latter part of December.

O.k. We're on the same page. And I know we're both frustrated.

Your point was well crafted - I'm just a bit affected after last nights dissappointment.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: