Magic And Rob are doing a great job so far.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

We are on a 23 win pace at the moment. To say that we should be celebrating is premature.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject:

I think they've done a fair job....whether they are doing a "great" job will really be determine at the trade deadline and FA in 2018.

If next year we have 2 max level top tier talents....bron, boogie, PG etc.....while keeping at least some of our key young guys.....then I think we can say they did a great job
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
I think they've done a fair job....whether they are doing a "great" job will really be determine at the trade deadline and FA in 2018.

If next year we have 2 max level top tier talents....bron, boogie, PG etc.....while keeping at least some of our key young guys.....then I think we can say they did a great job

The latter is the entire point. No need to commend ourselves in the 3rd inning in a 9 inning ball game.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

Kobe was not on the verge of cratering. He was carrying the Pau Gasol-Howard team to the playoffs just before the Achilles injury. He was playing at a very high level not a 'relatively high level'. It would be madness to trade him.

This is the kind of thing I mean. Simply mentioning the idea that the team might consider trading 35-year-old Kobe before he could go into a decline sets some fans off. And the Lakers desire to milk Kobe even after the Achilles injury slowed our rebuilding in a way that Ainge was never handicapped in Boston.

Your ignoring the circumstances of that season. We were on a mission to get to the championship. The FO put all their assets into the Howard and Nash deals and Kobe was carrying the team. You don’t blow that up in middle of the season.

And I’m not talking about the post Achilles era. You are.

I have no problem with the Lakers treating Kobe like royalty with that contract, and I have no problem with them being willing to sign his buddy Melo and delay the rebuild for a few years. That’s something I like about the team, their devotion to their icons. I also don’t have a problem with the Nash and Howard shot they took trying to get back in there after the veto fiasco. Those two things severely degraded the rebuild timetable, but since I approved of both, I had no angst waiting out the cost.

I’m a big believer in knowing when you are in short term (win now, or honor a legend) mode, or long term mode. I personally felt the Lakers were still in mid or long term mode, and the power shift brought about the need/desire to shift to short term mode, and start mixing the two. That led to bad asset management to set up a very risky and IMO unnecessary big “now” move.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I have no problem with the Lakers treating Kobe like royalty with that contract, and I have no problem with them being willing to sign his buddy Melo and delay the rebuild for a few years. That’s something I like about the team, their devotion to their icons. I also don’t have a problem with the Nash and Howard shot they took trying to get back in there after the veto fiasco. Those two things severely degraded the rebuild timetable, but since I approved of both, I had no angst waiting out the cost.

Same here. The coldly rational course of action would have been to start breaking up the team after PJ retired in 2011, or certainly after 2012 at the latest. Even if Kobe had stayed healthy, we were done winning championships. We could have sold high on Gasol and Bynum, then let Kobe go pick his Pluto. We wouldn't get full value for him, but we'd get something. It would have sucked for a few years, but basically we would be where the Celtics are now.

But I don't blame the Lakers for passing on the coldly rational option and trying to make something out of Kobe's fading years. Back in those days, I was going through the pain of rebuilding with the Astros. I think a lot of people in Laker Nation didn't truly remember how much a rebuild sucks. Well, they do now.

However, I differ with you when it comes to the Nash deal. That was just stupid. I hated that move at the time, and it made me lose faith in the front office. I could live with Dwight Howard and his foolishness, but the Nash trade never made any sense. But that's another story.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I’m a big believer in knowing when you are in short term (win now, or honor a legend) mode, or long term mode. I personally felt the Lakers were still in mid or long term mode, and the power shift brought about the need/desire to shift to short term mode, and start mixing the two. That led to bad asset management to set up a very risky and IMO unnecessary big “now” move.

I don't have a problem with them either. They're just not in sync with something like The Process, which is a cold, data-driven exercise.

During the years when we resigned Kobe and did the Farewell tour, we had a foot in both worlds. Which is kind of the Laker way. The Lakers, unlike the 76ers and Celtics in recent year, have never given up the pretense they are competing, even when they're not.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I think a lot of people in Laker Nation didn't truly remember how much a rebuild sucks. Well, they do now.

I get the impression the general attitude was, "No problem I am completely fine with a rebuilding process ... Hey, it's been two weeks -- isn't this rebuilding thing over yet? Where's my team of all-stars already?"
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
av3773 wrote:

The latter is the entire point. No need to commend ourselves in the 3rd inning in a 9 inning ball game.

To use the baseball analogy, it's like someone hit a single, stole second; the next batter bunts him to third; and the next batter strikes out.

The runner is standing on third with two outs.

The OP is high-fiving everybody about what a great job the team has done, while you're waiting to see if they actually score or if the inning ends with no benefit.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
av3773 wrote:

To use the baseball analogy, it's like someone hit a single, stole second; the next batter bunts him to third; and the next batter strikes out.

The OP is high-fiving everybody about what a great job the team has done, while you're waiting to see if they actually score or if the inning ends with no benefit.

Yeah. No doubt we can score, but why not wait until the runner's run past home plate?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I don't have a problem with them either. They're just not in sync with something like The Process, which is a cold, data-driven exercise.

During the years when we resigned Kobe and did the Farewell tour, we had a foot in both worlds. Which is kind of the Laker way. The Lakers, unlike the 76ers and Celtics in recent year, have never given up the pretense they are competing, even when they're not.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I think a lot of people in Laker Nation didn't truly remember how much a rebuild sucks. Well, they do now.

I get the impression the general attitude was, "No problem I am completely fine with a rebuilding process ... Hey, it's been two weeks -- isn't this rebuilding thing over yet? Where's my team of all-stars already?"

What is frustrating is that rebuilding suggests moving forward yet this season we have moved backwards. That isn’t rebuilding, that is grasping at straws. The other rebuilding teams of this era have shown improvement, even if it is slight. That is where the patience runs thin, in the prior 2-3 seasons there was reasons for hope.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
av3773 wrote:

And at this juncture, we aren't applauding the "runners left on base" stat.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:

I think the culture would be less toxic than it was in Philly under Hinkie.

If Ainge wasn't able to flip Kobe for multiple high lottery picks, how would he have been able to accomplish things similar to what he has done with the Celtics?

Ainge had/has a proxy in Brooklyn to take the beatings to get the high lottery picks while Philadelphia (and Lakers) had to take their own beatings to get their high lottery picks.

The same things happened decades ago when other teams had to take the beatings while the Lakers got the picks that became Magic and Worthy.

It is difficult to have a happy & positive environment when a team has to take their own beatings to get the high lottery picks.

I agree, but Ainge also flipped Rondo for value (as the Lakers should've done with Pau), traded for IT (the Lakers should've signed IT), and hired the best scheme and development coach he could find regardless of Celtics affiliation (not Foxhole Scott).

The Nets picks will put them over the top, and they may have been stuck in the 4th seed without them, but the Celtics were already a playoff team before the first Nets pick ever vested. They avoided beatings because of culture and shrewd smaller moves that brought them I.T. and Crowder, and a coach who maximized value out of teens and twenties picks like Olynyk, Sullinger, Zeller, etc. even while Ainge was missing as much as he hit through the draft (and that came because he was amassing picks in smaller deals over the years with Memphis, LAC, Dallas, etc).

Bottoming out may have given the Lakers a brighter future than a quick rebuild Celtics team without the Nets picks, but I'd still bet on Danny Ainge adding Horford and Hayward to a playoff team even without Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, or Kyrie Irving to show for the Brooklyn 1sts. I still don't know what the Lakers will have to show for years of stealth tanking through Kobe's farewell tour.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

The verdict is out... Their plan is 2 max free agents, and developing the young core this season. So far they have failed at the development since we are in last place, the key is the 2 free agents, if they get them then they're doing great and keeping their promise to the fan base, if they don't they failed like Mitch and Jim.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

Only thing I like about the Maginka regime is their drafting of Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart. Everything else especially their dumping of Dlo/Mozgov to hit their 2 max plan is still TBD at this point.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

If Ainge wasn't able to flip Kobe for multiple high lottery picks, how would he have been able to accomplish things similar to what he has done with the Celtics?

Ainge had/has a proxy in Brooklyn to take the beatings to get the high lottery picks while Philadelphia (and Lakers) had to take their own beatings to get their high lottery picks.

The same things happened decades ago when other teams had to take the beatings while the Lakers got the picks that became Magic and Worthy.

It is difficult to have a happy & positive environment when a team has to take their own beatings to get the high lottery picks.

I agree, but Ainge also flipped Rondo for value (as the Lakers should've done with Pau), traded for IT (the Lakers should've signed IT), and hired the best scheme and development coach he could find regardless of Celtics affiliation (not Foxhole Scott).

The Nets picks will put them over the top, and they may have been stuck in the 4th seed without them, but the Celtics were already a playoff team before the first Nets pick ever vested. They avoided beatings because of culture and shrewd smaller moves that brought them I.T. and Crowder, and a coach who maximized value out of teens and twenties picks like Olynyk, Sullinger, Zeller, etc. even while Ainge was missing as much as he hit through the draft (and that came because he was amassing picks in smaller deals over the years with Memphis, LAC, Dallas, etc).

Bottoming out may have given the Lakers a brighter future than a quick rebuild Celtics team without the Nets picks, but I'd still bet on Danny Ainge adding Horford and Hayward to a playoff team even without Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, or Kyrie Irving to show for the Brooklyn 1sts. I still don't know what the Lakers will have to show for years of stealth tanking through Kobe's farewell tour.

And I'm sure Pierce/KG will get their jerseys retired and are still beloved by the Celts.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

What is frustrating is that rebuilding suggests moving forward yet this season we have moved backwards. That isn’t rebuilding, that is grasping at straws. The other rebuilding teams of this era have shown improvement, even if it is slight. That is where the patience runs thin, in the prior 2-3 seasons there was reasons for hope.

I wouldn't agree with that.

A big part of this season was about clearing cap space to sign free agents. Whether you agree that's a good strategy or not, it's the strategy.

That's inherently frustrating because it means we sit around while short-timers like Lopez and Hope play, knowing they won't be here next year. But waiting is part of rebuilding.

Beyond that, we have rookies (Ball, Kuzma, Hart) and a second-year guy (Ingram) who are slowly developing. That's also frustrating because the development isn't nearly as fast as some people expected.

If you don't believe Magic will sign free agents, or don't believe any of the young guys will develop, sure, it's hopeless to you. If I felt that way, I wouldn't bother to follow the team.

I'm not frustrated, probably because I expected much slower, much more incremental improvement of the young guys than most people.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
Only thing I like about the Maginka regime is their drafting of Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart. Everything else especially their dumping of Dlo/Mozgov to hit their 2 max plan is still TBD at this point.

Really, they haven't done much.

-- They drafted Russell for cap space and a pick.
-- They drafted Ball, Kuzma and Hart.
-- They signed one-year vets to preserve cap space.

Those are really the only actions they've taken (Though you could be upset by Magic's statement, treatment of Randle, etc.).

By and large people seem satisified with the picks. The only question is if the free agent strategy works.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

Well there's two things.

No sober GM gives up that many picks for KG and Pierce. Ainge was gifted a care package that nobody else would get.

I have to give Mitch a pass for "basketball reasons". We would have got value for Pau instead of losing him for nothing.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers: 3 Most important questions in 2018

Quote:
With 2018 here for the Los Angeles Lakers, this will be a very important year for the franchise. Here are the three-most important questions facing the team.
Both Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka have said that this season is merely a stepping stone to the Los Angeles Lakers’ future, and that its success wouldn’t be measured by wins and losses.
Let’s put ourselves in their shoes and consider the biggest decisions they must make to bring the team back to its winning ways.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2018/01/03/los-angeles-lakers-3-important-questions-2018/
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

Spot on, they made small moves that moved them forward. Meanwhile Jim Buss relied on “we’re the Lakers” and spun the wheels. Only once he realized that approach wouldn’t work, Jeanie replaced him with guys whose approach is “we’re the Lakers”. Hopefully this FO will make the small moves. I use the 90’s as an example because that was the only other rebuild I have lived through. Ainge is doing things like West did, hopefully Magic and Pelinka will learn from that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I wouldn't agree with that.

A big part of this season was about clearing cap space to sign free agents. Whether you agree that's a good strategy or not, it's the strategy.

That's inherently frustrating because it means we sit around while short-timers like Lopez and Hope play, knowing they won't be here next year. But waiting is part of rebuilding.

Beyond that, we have rookies (Ball, Kuzma, Hart) and a second-year guy (Ingram) who are slowly developing. That's also frustrating because the development isn't nearly as fast as some people expected.

If you don't believe Magic will sign free agents, or don't believe any of the young guys will develop, sure, it's hopeless to you. If I felt that way, I wouldn't bother to follow the team.

I'm not frustrated, probably because I expected much slower, much more incremental improvement of the young guys than most people.

It isn’t hopeless but it also isn’t moving forward
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

Yes, but if the goal is to have a parade in late June, then having a top 3 pick appears to be the norm with perhaps a few outliers over the year.

In regards to trading Pau, they might have had an offer for a second round pick, but wanted a first. Eventually Pau left with no asset coming back for him.

The Lakers organization (FO, coaching staff Buss family, media and fanbase) had never been through an absolute bottoming out process like most other teams have gone through.

Instead of having some vestiges of the past to build off of, they started from ground zero. Draft picks had been sent out to bring in vets to keep things rolling during the Pau & Kobe years. Draft picks were sent out to dump some contracts as the luxury tax bite progressed through each successive Collective Bargaining Agreement. When the contender mindset stared winding down, they were staring mostly from scratch.

It appears that all parts of the Lakers organization (FO, coaching staff Buss family, media and most of the fanbase) weren't prepared to take the beatings for the high lottery picks.

Quote:

I still don't know what the Lakers will have to show for years of stealth tanking through Kobe's farewell tour.

They didn't load up heavily on draft picks as Hinkie and Ainge did. They haven't gone with a strong player development program similar to what Marks and Atkinson are doing with the Nets.

The attempts for a quick rebound by signing free agents haven't shown much in the way of positive results so far.

So, I agree that there is a question about what was going on in the past during the KFT and even now when the beatings are supposed to be over and an upward trend should be showing during this season.

Last edited by Bard207 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

What we lacked (and Moz/Deng weren't the answers) were foundational/institutionally stabilizing veterans on reasonable contracts. Look at the year-to-year turnover in personnel. It's amazing how many 1 year punt deals we have amassed over the past 4 seasons, so it's no surprise that it's catching up to us now that our longest tenured players, ironically JC/Jules, are now on the outs with this organization.

Even if it seems like a waste of space, guys like Nick Collison, Udonis Haslem were worth their weight in gold for their teams, providing institutional stability and leadership to younger players. We just had a revolving door of mercenaries.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Los Angeles Lakers: 3 Most important questions in 2018

Quote:
With 2018 here for the Los Angeles Lakers, this will be a very important year for the franchise. Here are the three-most important questions facing the team.
Both Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka have said that this season is merely a stepping stone to the Los Angeles Lakers’ future, and that its success wouldn’t be measured by wins and losses.
Let’s put ourselves in their shoes and consider the biggest decisions they must make to bring the team back to its winning ways.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2018/01/03/los-angeles-lakers-3-important-questions-2018/

Wow, that was a bad article. The three biggest decisions are whether to resign Randle, who to play at center, and who to pair with Ball in the backcourt? Really?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Even if it seems like a waste of space, guys like Nick Collison, Udonis Haslem were worth their weight in gold for their teams, providing institutional stability and leadership to younger players. We just had a revolving door of mercenaries.

Collision and Haslem are reallly uncommon -- there have only been about a dozen players in the entire history of the NBA who have stayed with a team as long as they have.

(I only bring this up because one of my pet peeves is people saying "guys like" and then giving a couple of examples and suggested there are a bunch more like those examples, when there really aren't).

I mean, who precisely do you think the Lakers should have kept to provide this "institutional stability" -- Jordan Hill? Resign Metta World Peace?
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Collision and Haslem are reallly uncommon -- there have only been about a dozen players in the entire history of the NBA who have stayed with a team as long as they have.

(I only bring this up because one of my pet peeves is people saying "guys like" and then giving a couple of examples and suggested there are a bunch more like those examples, when there really aren't).

I mean, who precisely do you think the Lakers should have kept to provide this "institutional stability" -- Jordan Hill? Resign Metta World Peace?

Um, Steve Blake I guess. He would have been nice to keep around although I think he's out of the league.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: