Are we really that dependant on Lonzo?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2014
Posts: 1445
Location: Vancouver BC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Are we really that dependant on Lonzo?

Man, this team started to look like a well oiled machine atter the game vs Rockets and then Warriors. We were really firing on all cylinders, KD praised us, said it will be really hard to beat us in the future and then suddenly just like that...we lost multiple games in a row and we look horrible. The only thing that has really changed is that Lonzo isnt playing and we dont look half as good.

I mean, is that really all that there is to it? Is it just Lonzo's presence we miss because that would be pretty insane impact by just one player to mean so much to a team.
Admittedly I was his biggest critic at the beginning of the season but very possible I was wrong even though I still think he needs to shoot bt thats beside the point here.

What the heck happened to us the last few weeks? Did Kuzma hit the rookie wall or does he especially benefit from Lonzo's presence as he needs to be set up for his points? I mean what the heck happened...someone tell me. How do we go from looking amazing to looking like a G league team...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Nov 2017
Posts: 2368

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject:

Thereís multiple issues with this team...

Walton isnít a great coach
The roster sucks, we have actual G league players on the court
And Lonzoís absence definitely hurts as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 3046
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject:

A real PG is needed ASAP, be it Lonzo or someone else.
_________________
-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/NBAMadeira
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 10745
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject:

Lonzo?

He would have been blown away as a well. Without players around him,
He's just another victim...
_________________
The move
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 31694

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Thereís multiple issues with this team...

Walton isnít a great coach
The roster sucks, we have actual G league players on the court
And Lonzoís absence definitely hurts as well.


nailed
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 14312

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

The team has one NBA PG on its entire roster and it's a 20-year-old rookie. The Lakers could replace Ball with Wall and have a better record or with DSJ and have a worse record, but if Wall or DSJ went down, the effect would be the same.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 26374

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 7663

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.


I agree. Perfect coaching (which would come as much from the assistants as anything, in our case) would maybe give us 4-5 extra wins AT BEST.

It's the roster.
_________________
one dog goes that way the other dog goes the other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 26374

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.


I agree. Perfect coaching (which would come as much from the assistants as anything, in our case) would maybe give us 4-5 extra wins AT BEST.

It's the roster.


yes it is... Luke looked like the next coming of Phil in GS when he coached a few years back... didn't he go something crazy like 40-3 or something? Hell when you have Steph Curry raining down 3s it makes anyone look like a great coach right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 7663

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.


I agree. Perfect coaching (which would come as much from the assistants as anything, in our case) would maybe give us 4-5 extra wins AT BEST.

It's the roster.


yes it is... Luke looked like the next coming of Phil in GS when he coached a few years back... didn't he go something crazy like 40-3 or something? Hell when you have Steph Curry raining down 3s it makes anyone look like a great coach right?


Too lazy to look up who they were but I'm sure he had good assistants there too. But yeah I see Luke as being a good players coach like Lue who can win when he has talent and good assistants around him. But his teams likely won't outperform.
_________________
one dog goes that way the other dog goes the other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Nov 2017
Posts: 2368

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.


Yeah itís mainly the roster. No one on the team can even hit 2 freethrows consistently. That sums it up alone.

Record is usually decided by talent... thatís what wins games. There are few exceptions sometimes. Boston is definitely overachieving thanks to Stevens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 26374

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.


Yeah itís mainly the roster. No one on the team can even hit 2 freethrows consistently. That sums it up alone.

Record is usually decided by talent... thatís what wins games. There are few exceptions sometimes. Boston is definitely overachieving thanks to Stevens.


but Boston has much more talent than the Lakers, look at their roster they have at least 2 all stars in Kyrie and Hortford, then they don't have this trade cloud over everyone's head like Lakers do over Randle and Clarkson. Also playing in the East doesn't hurt, look at the crazy schedule the Lakers played in December. Danny Ainge has done a masterful job with this team, from good draft picks to great free agent signings and finally some bold trades especailly for Kyrie. What has our front office done so far? We are still waiting...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Nov 2017
Posts: 2368

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
BizLA wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.


Yeah itís mainly the roster. No one on the team can even hit 2 freethrows consistently. That sums it up alone.

Record is usually decided by talent... thatís what wins games. There are few exceptions sometimes. Boston is definitely overachieving thanks to Stevens.


but Boston has much more talent than the Lakers, look at their roster they have at least 2 all stars in Kyrie and Hortford, then they don't have this trade cloud over everyone's head like Lakers do over Randle and Clarkson. Also playing in the East doesn't hurt, look at the crazy schedule the Lakers played in December.


True but still no one expected Boston to have this good of a record after the Hayward injury. They definitely are a lot more talented than the Lakers for sure. You know your team has major issues when your best players are 20 yrs old and rookies/2nd year guys..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 21258

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.


I agree. Perfect coaching (which would come as much from the assistants as anything, in our case) would maybe give us 4-5 extra wins AT BEST.

It's the roster.


You guys ever wonder if it might be a combination of both as opposed to either or?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 7663

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.


I agree. Perfect coaching (which would come as much from the assistants as anything, in our case) would maybe give us 4-5 extra wins AT BEST.

It's the roster.


You guys ever wonder if it might be a combination of both as opposed to either or?


Well it's almost certainly a combination of both. But the roster is by far the main culprit.
_________________
one dog goes that way the other dog goes the other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 10745
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.


I agree. Perfect coaching (which would come as much from the assistants as anything, in our case) would maybe give us 4-5 extra wins AT BEST.

It's the roster.


You guys ever wonder if it might be a combination of both as opposed to either or?


Well it's almost certainly a combination of both. But the roster is by far the main culprit.



Coaching a bad team sucks. The roster sucks, coaches arenít perfect
they relay on execution.

The blame game is old.
_________________
The move
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 14890

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

We're reliant on talent. This roster sucks. With Lonzo, it's better.
_________________
Music is my medicine


Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 91864
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

Cap space better be good next summer.
_________________
We can wait. Do not trade Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart. Chase max FA in 2019 instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 14890

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Cap space better be good next summer.
Cap space, FTW
_________________
Music is my medicine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 12441
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Cap space better be good next summer.


Can he hit more than 80% of his free throws?
_________________
SPEAK IT INTO EXISTENCE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 22125

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

If Lonzo comes back and the team does better, OP's mind may explode.
/Waits in expectation
_________________
👊 2018-19 NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers 👊

Kawhi to Lakers 2018 for Deng + Zubac + Hart + 2nd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2009
Posts: 1382

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

I'd say it shows how weak we are at the backup point. No disrespect to Ennis, but he just isn't good enough and JC def ain't a a PG. Even with an old vet PG like Calderon or Jack, we'd be much better. We have no depth at PG.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GoldenThroat
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 36937

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Are we really that dependant on Lonzo?

LakersNewEra wrote:
Man, this team started to look like a well oiled machine atter the game vs Rockets and then Warriors. We were really firing on all cylinders, KD praised us, said it will be really hard to beat us in the future and then suddenly just like that...we lost multiple games in a row and we look horrible. The only thing that has really changed is that Lonzo isnt playing and we dont look half as good.

I mean, is that really all that there is to it? Is it just Lonzo's presence we miss because that would be pretty insane impact by just one player to mean so much to a team.
Admittedly I was his biggest critic at the beginning of the season but very possible I was wrong even though I still think he needs to shoot bt thats beside the point here.

What the heck happened to us the last few weeks? Did Kuzma hit the rookie wall or does he especially benefit from Lonzo's presence as he needs to be set up for his points? I mean what the heck happened...someone tell me. How do we go from looking amazing to looking like a G league team...


1) It isn't all Lonzo. I'm concerned that a few guys have basically quit on this team and are just going through the motions. If that's true, Lonzo can't fix that.

2) Been trying to tell you that Lonzo is pretty good.
_________________
Sign up for The Athletic through this link to get 40% off your first year's subscription: LINK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSD
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 5530

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Are we really that dependant on Lonzo?

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Man, this team started to look like a well oiled machine atter the game vs Rockets and then Warriors. We were really firing on all cylinders, KD praised us, said it will be really hard to beat us in the future and then suddenly just like that...we lost multiple games in a row and we look horrible. The only thing that has really changed is that Lonzo isnt playing and we dont look half as good.

I mean, is that really all that there is to it? Is it just Lonzo's presence we miss because that would be pretty insane impact by just one player to mean so much to a team.
Admittedly I was his biggest critic at the beginning of the season but very possible I was wrong even though I still think he needs to shoot bt thats beside the point here.

What the heck happened to us the last few weeks? Did Kuzma hit the rookie wall or does he especially benefit from Lonzo's presence as he needs to be set up for his points? I mean what the heck happened...someone tell me. How do we go from looking amazing to looking like a G league team...


1) It isn't all Lonzo. I'm concerned that a few guys have basically quit on this team and are just going through the motions. If that's true, Lonzo can't fix that.

2) Been trying to tell you that Lonzo is pretty good.


This is true and itís why moves have to happen soonest. Never a good situation to have players on the roster who have quit on the team/organization whatever the reason is...time to move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 17 Mar 2017
Posts: 747

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

We are such a dumb team collectively that when our floor general goes out the team dissolves into playing 2k MyTeam type ball.
_________________
BBB back to back to back
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB