Hypothetical: Would you trade Lonzo or Ingram for a Top 5 Pick in 2018 Draft?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So trade another top pick so we can ruin that pick again so he can be traded for another top pick that we can ruin?

Because every draft class is the same...
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So trade another top pick so we can ruin that pick again so he can be traded for another top pick that we can ruin?

It's the ciiiiirrrccllle of liiiife.

That said, I'd consider it for Ingram. But I've never been quite as high on him as his biggest supporters, and this 2018 class is nuts from what I understand.

Last edited by KBH on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's the ciiiiirrrccllle of liiiife.

That said, I'd consider it for Ingram. But I've never been quite as high on him as his biggest supporters.

It was a crap draft class outside of Simmons. What else is there to discuss? Just the luck of the draw.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/11/13/nba-draft-marvin-bagley-deandre-ayton-michael-porter-luka-doncic-champions-classic

Quote:
Where the 2018 draft does get fun: we have a real, wide race for the No. 1 pick, and 5 prospects that stand pretty clearly above the rest.

Any one of Marvin Bagley, DeAndre Ayton, Luka Doncic, Michael Porter and Mohamed Bamba would have had a chance to go No. 1 in last year’s very-good draft.

That alone should tell you something, and yes, tanking teams are set to reap the rewards. Opinions are mixed when it comes to ranking those five players, but the field alone will make this entertaining.

Some wide praise by SI regarding this 2018 draft class.

If all 5 of them had a chance at being picked #1 last season, that would put Fultz at #6, Ball at #7, Tatum at #8.... etc.

I know this class is good, but they literally say that about every year's draft class. Of course the shininess of potential is always going to look better than dudes you've already seen flounder in the NBA during Year 1 as rookies usually do.

They don't say that literally every year. It's a roller coaster.

Remember when teams were trading out of the 2013 class to get into the 2014 class instead? Yeah they knew it wasn't good. The 2014 class was the one that had the most hype (Embiid, Wiggins) that I could remember for being deep across the board literally 2 years in advance.

Everyone expected the year after 2015 to be good (Towns Dlo) but not this good. But everyone knew the 2016 class (Simmons Ingram) was bad and that it only went 2 players deep. Now 2018 is supposed to be the draft that the top 5 players are potentially all-stars so take that for what you will. Just bump this thread again after 2019 season.

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
tj24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

If no max guys sign we'll suck again next year and I like the top '19 guys a little more so no.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Hypothetical, would any team trade a top 5 pick for Ingram or Ball?

If you ask a Celtics fan who's been following this year's draft class, they'd say no. They obviously have no need for Ingram, maybe more for Zo but still wouldn't trade our pick back for any one of the two.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I haven't done any research on this new class yet, but that is just my general impression

Sounds like a lot of Lakers fans including myself with obvious reasons.

I usually don't look until the end of the college season anyway... but yeah, it's hard to motivate knowing you have a forty something pick. Too hard to get your hopes for even a low level gem until at least the second round is underway.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/11/13/nba-draft-marvin-bagley-deandre-ayton-michael-porter-luka-doncic-champions-classic

Quote:
Where the 2018 draft does get fun: we have a real, wide race for the No. 1 pick, and 5 prospects that stand pretty clearly above the rest.

Any one of Marvin Bagley, DeAndre Ayton, Luka Doncic, Michael Porter and Mohamed Bamba would have had a chance to go No. 1 in last year’s very-good draft.

That alone should tell you something, and yes, tanking teams are set to reap the rewards. Opinions are mixed when it comes to ranking those five players, but the field alone will make this entertaining.

If all 5 of them had a chance at being picked #1 last season, that would put Fultz at #6, Ball at #7, Tatum at #8.... etc.

I know this class is good, but they literally say that about every year's draft class. Of course the shininess of potential is always going to look better than dudes you've already seen flounder in the NBA during Year 1 as rookies usually do.

Remember when teams were trading out of the 2013 class to get into the 2014 class instead? Yeah they knew it wasn't good. The 2014 class was the one that had the most hype (Embiid, Wiggins) that I could remember for being deep across the board literally 2 years in advance.

Everyone expected the year after 2015 to be good (Towns Dlo) but not this good. But everyone knew the 2016 class (Simmons Ingram) was bad and that it only went 2 players deep. Now 2018 is supposed to be the draft that the top 5 players are potentially all-stars so take that for what you will. Just bump this thread again after 2019 season.

If there was ever a year we could have chosen to pay the toll on the Nash trade that was it.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:

If there was ever a year we could have chosen to pay the toll on the Nash trade that was it.

Lakers would gift the Magics with a 2019 pick, if that happened
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Because every draft class is the same...

Because we say that every year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Pretty crazy that Celtics fans had a ECF team and the 1st pick. This year likely ECF or better team and a top 5 possible pick to look forward to. MFers.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Pretty crazy that Celtics fans had a ECF team and the 1st pick. This year likely ECF or better team and a top 5 possible pick to look forward to. MFers.

I'm still skeptical this team will be Bottom-5. Most of the other bottomfeeders will be tanking in March & April. That's when this team will "hit its stride" (aka beat up on resting and tanking teams).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
How about you personally... are you willing to say that you would take any of these players specifically over Ball or Ingram?

no, but from my perspective it is a different equation...Ball (1 year) and Ingram (2 years) have been integrated into the organization....so for me as a fantasy Lakers GM, I would have to be confident that any player traded for would have to contribute at least on a equal level immediately and be better in the very near future. I think Ayton Doncic, and Bagley (although I actually would have to think and consult about Bagley) meet that criteria. I think if Porter returns to 100% healthy, he would meet that criteria....but we simply will not know until it happens. Finally, I really love Trae Young....but I need to see more before I conclude he can be this special in the NBA. I guess the simple answer is as of today, there are 2...probably 3....that I move either Ball or Ingram for in this draft.

In contrast, if I am another team with the draft pick....I definitely have not seen anything from Ingram or Ball that would lead me to believe either are sure fire franchise players....and I would already have 1 and 2 less years of cheap contract on them. Therefore, any player that I believe that has a reasonable chance to either be a franchise player or even an All Star, I am rolling the dice on that player....which leads me to believe that your in the back half of the lottery before any team seriously has a conversation about moving the pick for Ball or Ingram.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm still skeptical this team will be Bottom-5. Most of the other bottomfeeders will be tanking in March & April. That's when this team will "hit its stride" (aka beat up on resting and tanking teams).

Hopefully. depends on what the FO does with the rest of the expiring deals and jc/jules.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
This loop of thinking where u trade in a year old player for a new younger shiny player is getting old. Let players develop. We have a solid core. Just let them get some time together to grow and get better.

This
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I would consider Ingram, not Lonzo.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

I do not get this claim "we say that every year" in reference to the draft classes. Anyone that closely follows the draft knows that is 100% false statement.

--2017 Draft was widely considered a very deep draft but did not have any clear franchise level players like a Lebron or Anthony Davis. Some thought Fultz could reach that level. I think the 2017 class has appeared to be everything it was advertised to be.

--2016 Draft was widely considered a very weak draft. Most considered it to 1 guy at the top (Simmons)....a drop off, then 1 guy @ #2 (Ingram)....then a huge drop off.....and several guys in the next tier that were likely at best NBA Starters/Rotation players. We can debate Ingram and Brown....but overall the 2016 Class was as advertised.

--2015 Draft was considered an average draft. Sure there were misses (Okafor, Hezonja, Mudiay etc.), but there were several guys drafted too low (Porziņģis, Turner., Booker, Hernangómez)....but overall it appears to be about average.

--2014 Draft was supposed to be above average....and there were some misses....and we can debate which players were taken too high, but it included Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Aaron Gordon, Randle, Gary Harris, Zach LaVine, Rodney Hood, Nikola Jokić and many other guys starting or playing significant minutes in the NBA today. That is a pretty good draft....as advertised.

--2013 Draft was advertised as very weak, and was weak.

The point is.....drafts have been about what they were expected to be in recent years....and nobody that follows the draft says the same thing every year.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Ingram yep

Lonzo maybe

Adding Doncic, Ayton, or Young to Lonzo and Kuzma would be pretty sweet.

Adding Doncic, Ayton, or Bagley to Ingram and Kuzma would be pretty sweet also....

Less sweet, though.

must have different taste buds

I'm pretty sure I have a more refined palate. You mainly seem to like undercooked wings
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Ingram yep

Lonzo maybe

Adding Doncic, Ayton, or Bagley to Ingram and Kuzma would be pretty sweet also....

Less sweet, though.

I'm pretty sure I have a more refined palate. You mainly seem to like undercooked wings

hmm...no that is not it....I think mine are more unique, but original and most importantly based on substance. I have noticed yours are heavily influenced by group reviews and initial buzz/hype. I am not led by the yelp reviews....those things have a way of being.....manipulated....which leads to crowd to..uhh...manufacture a perspective to fit in with the group.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
I would consider Ingram, not Lonzo.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:

All of this. The 2018 draft is also full of talented bigs who capture the imagination of talking heads, fans, and even some draft wonks, but it's an initiator's game at the end of the day. The 2017 draft is going to take time to get going because it's so guard heavy and most lead guards need more time to incubate, but I'm buying on the long-term production of the 2017 guard class over the 2018 bigs class.

Of course, Doncic and Young could be elite initiators and probably would be taken ahead of Fultz, Ball, and Tatum.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Ingram yep

Lonzo maybe

Less sweet, though.

hmm...no that is not it....I think mine are more unique, but original and most importantly based on substance. I have noticed yours are heavily influenced by group reviews and initial buzz/hype. I am not led by the yelp reviews....those things have a way of being.....manipulated....which leads to crowd to..uhh...manufacture a perspective to fit in with the group.

I wish I had gone with my gut and against groupthink when I kept Josh Jackson in my top five.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:

I just don’t think we have the patience or infrastructure to go with another high pick 19 year old. Plus doubt BI gets a top 5 pick today.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I wish I had gone with my gut and against groupthink when I kept Josh Jackson in my top five.

you gots to come up with new material....for the following reasons:

1. Jackson has zero to do with the Lakers....it makes no sense for Ball apologists to use him for deflection. He plays for the Suns...he could be in China in a couple years or end his career in the HOF....has no effect on me.

2. He has not played well this season....I have never said otherwise. Still, I think the kid will eventually be a very good player. Again the Ball apologists were screaming that you can't judge a player in his first few games...then it was it takes a couple years....then the kid has a couple double figure scoring games, and you guys are out in the street pounding your chest...."yeah, what about now?" (best said in an extremely little man goofy voice trying to sound deep")

3. Jackson is in a very different situation than Ball. They have an interim coach that is desperate to win....Jackson does not get the luxury of starting a game 1 for 9 and still get 34 minutes. His MPG is directly tied to his performance....there is no leaving him out there to manufacture some stats.

Let's compare Jackson to others in a couple years....

Last edited by adkindo on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

you gots to come up with new material....for the following reasons:

1. Jackson has zero to do with the Lakers....it makes not sense for Ball apologists to use him for deflection. He plays for the Suns...he could be in China in a couple years or end his career in the HOF....has not effect on me.

2. He has not played well this season....I have never said otherwise. Still, I think the kid will eventually be a very good player. Again the Ball apologists were screaming that you can't judge a player in his first few games...then it was it takes a couple years....then the kid has a couple double figure scoring games, and you guys are out in the street pounding your chest...."yeah, what about now?" (best said in an extremely little man goofy voice trying to sound deep")

3. Jackson is in a very different situation than Ball. They have an interim coach that is desperate to win....Jackson does not get the luxury of starting a game 1 for 9 and still get 34 minutes. His MPG is directly tied to his performance....there is not leaving him out there to manufacture some stats.

Let's compare Jackson to others in a couple years....

Sounds good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14
Jump to: