Paul Pierce doesn't want Isaiah Thomas' video tribute same night of jersey retirement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Paul Pierce doesn't want Isaiah Thomas' video tribute same night of jersey retirement

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/01/04/paul-pierce-doesnt-want-isaiah-thomas-video-tribute-same-night-of-jersey-retirement/

Quote:
Paul Pierce doesn’t want Isaiah Thomas’ video tribute same night of jersey retirement

Paul Pierce is getting his jersey retired by the Boston Celtics on February 11, but the team has another plan that same evening.

That night is the first that the Celtics and the Cleveland Cavaliers will meet in which former Boston guard Isaiah Thomas will be active to play. As such, the team is planning a video tribute for Thomas, which Pierce has said he would rather see the team skip.

The Cavaliers and the Celtics met for the first time in 2018 on Wednesday, but Thomas was not active. Thomas asked the team to skip a video tribute, and they decided to move it to the Feb. 11 matchup.

Pierce — who played for the Celtics for 15 seasons — offered that the team could run an Instagram video instead.

Via ESPN:

“I’m not saying Isaiah shouldn’t get a tribute video … but on Feb. 11, the night I get my jersey retired, I’m not sure I want to look up at the JumboTron and see Isaiah highlights,’ Pierce said Thursday during an appearance on ESPN’s The Jump.

“That’s Pierce’s night. But, like, the video tribute ain’t the whole night,” Thomas said. “I just wanted my family to be here to see it. That’s what it came down to. I wanted to be able to play. And I wanted my family to experience the love and appreciation this city and this organization is going to give me on that night. And when my representatives reached out to these guys, [the Celtics] were all for it. They agreed on it.

“I don’t know why [some people are] so mad about it. I’m not taking nothing from Paul Pierce. He did 15 years here so there’s nothing that I can take from him. But if they choose to do it that night, that would be great and I would be honored. And my family and friends can see how much they appreciated me here.”

It would be a bad look for the Celtics to dip on an IT tribute video now, even at the request of Paul Pierce. It seems like Pierce should get over it — he’s having his jersey hung in the stadium forever for goodness sake — but I doubt that happens.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Yeah it’s fairly whack to schedule another event on the night of his jersey retirement. Yet another example of how “they don’t love you like that.”.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Bad timing but really Paul Pierce making a big deal about it also sucks. Guess that's to be expected out of him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

1st - it is beyond stupid to have a video tribute to honor a player that was on the roster for two years, and did not win anything. Especially for a team with a history like the Celtics. Gerald Green was a Celtic longer than IT...and has the same amount of rings.

2nd - I get Pierce preferring his night being all about him....and admittedly he deserves his night.....but going out in public and saying how he wanted his to be similar to Kobe's makes him look foolish.....you ain't on Kobe's level.
forzaCOREA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
1st - it is beyond stupid to have a video tribute to honor a player that was on the roster for two years, and did not win anything. Especially for a team with a history like the Celtics. Gerald Green was a Celtic longer than IT...and has the same amount of rings.

2nd - I get Pierce preferring his night being all about him....and admittedly he deserves his night.....but going out in public and saying how he wanted his to be similar to Kobe's makes him look foolish.....you ain't on Kobe's level.

dude IT brought the celtics from a lottery team to a championship caliber team. He played his heart out for that team even through his sisters death. He was loyal and never demanded a trade. I see no problem with them trying to give IT some love, he did the celtics no wrong.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Draymond already told him “they don’t love you like that“
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

PP is right, jersey retirement is a high honor, shouldn't be shared with another player's video tribute but but but, shouldn't have voiced it publically
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Yeah it’s fairly whack to schedule another event on the night of his jersey retirement. Yet another example of how “they don’t love you like that.”.

Came into this thread to post that video, lol!

Pau Gasol is nice
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

forzaCOREA wrote:
adkindo wrote:

dude IT brought the celtics from a lottery team to a championship caliber team. He played his heart out for that team even through his sisters death. He was loyal and never demanded a trade. I see no problem with them trying to give IT some love, he did the celtics no wrong.

he did not bring the Celtics to a championship caliber team....and there are a lot of guys that play a couple years somewhere and improve a team...never seen anyone with a similar resume before get any type of tribute. He is to the Celtics as Cedric Ceballos was to the Lakers.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Pierce is the second leading scorer in Celtics' history, was Finals MVP in the series that ended their drought, and was their franchise player for over a decade. He's not what Kobe was to the Lakers, but he's definitely still a very important player in Boston history.

I can understand why they would want to do the tribute for Thomas, but I have no idea why they didn't just schedule Pierce's jersey retirement on a different night in the first place.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
forzaCOREA wrote:
adkindo wrote:

he did not bring the Celtics to a championship caliber team....and there are a lot of guys that play a couple years somewhere and improve a team...never seen anyone with a similar resume before get any type of tribute. He is to the Celtics as Cedric Ceballos was to the Lakers.

Since you bring up PP's resume. I think this twitter thread may be useful. PP is good, but he certainly isn't the best.

Pau Gasol is nice
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

Buck Foston & Paul Pissce
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Put a wheelchair up his ass
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Still waiting for the Celdicks to hang up that wheelchair.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
dlofan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

All those years in Boston have fried his brain
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/01/17/jalen-rose-calls-paul-pierce-petty-to-his-face-video/

Quote:
Jalen Rose calls Paul Pierce petty to his face (video)

Paul Pierce is being petty about Isaiah Thomas‘ tribute video.

And that’s from someone who empathizes with Pierce’s point of view.

When retiring a player’s number, teams tastefully use stoppages to show highlights and tributes to the player. The whole night, not just the moment of raising a number into the rafters, can be about celebrating the player. It’s reasonable for Pierce to want the entire package.

But to go on television and advocate for not showing Thomas’ video? To continue the campaign after Thomas made clear how important his video was to him? To tell the Celtics not to show a short video for Thomas during introductions?

It’s way too far.

Too many people around Pierce enabled his flawed approach. Jalen Rose put that to a pointed stop.

Rose on ESPN:

I’ve got say a word for you, fam. I think it was petty.

On Paul Pierce’s part.

I love Paul. This is my brother. Because to me, there are going to be all type of announcements that happen in the 48 minutes during that game. All types. Including Isaiah Thomas could be one of them. It does not take away from your situation. Like Kobe’s, it happened during the game. Because they’re doing yours post-game.

The look on Pierce’s face while Rose was talking!
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:

I love this whole thing. Funny to see how fast Celtic fans will turn on you. All last year you hear Celtics fans saying how much Isaiah is beloved. Even Bill Simmons was calling Isaiah the most popular Celtic since Larry Bird yes even more popular than Paul Pierce. Now you look at a lot of them calling him trash and that his time there meant nothing. How quickly they forget that he played injured and put his body on the line for them a day after his sister died.

It is even funnier to see some Celtic fans calling out Pierce for being petty and selfish.

Such a silly situation in general. Paul Pierce's big night and he lets it be overshadowed by this silly narrative.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Jalen Rose...that was some grown man (bleep)...called him petty to his face!!!
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersgirl wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Draymond was SO rude and SO disrespectful...and it was absolutely GLORIOUS!!!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Jalen Rose...that was some grown man (bleep)...called him petty to his face!!!

My goodness Jalen went hard.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
lakersgirl wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Draymond was SO rude and SO disrespectful...and it was absolutely GLORIOUS!!!

Draymond is 100% irreverent. I love that about him.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject:

PP was indeed being petty en childish foor going public with his demand about not sharing the day with an IT video tribute. Smacks of insecurity on his part.
OTH ...IT doesn't deserve a video tribute. He was their star player for 2 years, mainly because they had no one else, but there other stars who never get a video tribute. It's not like he played 10 years for the Celtics.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
I love this whole thing. Funny to see how fast Celtic fans will turn on you. All last year you hear Celtics fans saying how much Isaiah is beloved. Even Bill Simmons was calling Isaiah the most popular Celtic since Larry Bird yes even more popular than Paul Pierce. Now you look at a lot of them calling him trash and that his time there meant nothing. How quickly they forget that he played injured and put his body on the line for them a day after his sister died.

It is even funnier to see some Celtic fans calling out Pierce for being petty and selfish.

Such a silly situation in general. Paul Pierce's big night and he lets it be overshadowed by this silly narrative.

Celtics fans sports fans in general are fickle though.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

Well on the next level of Paul Pierce is tragic, if he was still talking about this last night then he’s extra tragic. Isaiah Thomas already conceded that it was a bad idea to put his video tribute the same night as Wheelchair’s jersey retirement. Thomas was quite gracious about it actually

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/league/article/2018/01/16/isaiah-thomas-concedes-paul-pierce-video-tribute

Let it go, wheelchair, let it go...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject:

This guy was just dumped here for garbage and yet he was going to get a video tribute on the same night as a Celtics legend?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: