What actions should/ can Lakers take to silence Lavar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

So glad some of you knee-jerk reaction characters aren't sitting in any of the big seats to make deals. It would require a special kind of stupid to trade Lonzo over this. After tanking last year you wanna trade the most prized possession you got for it? And there's no pick this year to make up for all of this losing, so you'd effectively have two lottery seasons in a row with no picks to show for it And you really think silencing LaVar is worth THAT kind of team penalty? Really?

Magic is not trading Lonzo. He's Magic's pride and joy. I don't know what it would take for LaVar's antics to become a non-factor, but trading Lonzo is not the answer. It would be the worst possible way to handle it. The Lakers aren't talented enough to trade their own lottery picks every year for non basketball reasons.

Last edited by Judah on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
troy
Star Player
Star Player

Venus and Serena Willams had a similar situation with their father. Essentially, the WTA banned him from the circuit. Problem solved.

Best thing you can do with people like LaVar is to ignore them. No attention = no audience. It's a shame the media has given him the platform that he currently has.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He wants a reaction. So no reaction is best.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Venus and Serena Willams had a similar situation with their father. Essentially, the WTA banned him from the circuit. Problem solved.

Best thing you can do with people like LaVar is to ignore them. No attention = no audience. It's a shame the media has given him the platform that he currently has.

Uh, Lavar didn't make these comments from Staples Center. He made them from half way around the world.... and yet we still felt the ripple effects. Banning him from Staples Center is not gonna do it. As long as he has a mouth, and the parasites at ESPN give him a platform, there isn't much to done, outside of trading Lonzo. Your either gonna trade him or grin and bear it.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

LaVar knows how to be in the spotlight and media knows he will give them clicks. No way to ban/silence him. Even if all the mainstream media ignores him, he could still make those controversial comments on his Facebook show. Lakers can ignore him and just worry about Lonzo whos the one playing for them.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What actions should/ can Lakers take to silence Lavar?

LakerMindLA wrote:
BizLA wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
I am thinking ban him from the Staples Center for Laker games.

If that doesn’t work, Lakers have to consider trading Lonzo.

Lol it’s not that serious

From the ESPN article:

One Lakers player said the situation has become a distraction for the team at times. But his frustration was directed mostly at the media for fueling the hype around it, and he was annoyed that Walton, whom he strongly supports, had been dragged into the toxicity.

A distraction huh? 20,000 fans yelling at you is also a distraction. They’re professionals and should ignore it.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Just wait until he starts blaming players on the team. If those comments cross the line, I wouldn’t be shocked to see players confront Lonzo based on his fathers comments.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

The same thing they'd have to do to quiet the criticisms of every other Lakers fan that has a problem with their team/coaching/coaching staff/front office decisions and would say the same things if they had the platform and the microphone put in front of them.

Win.

LakerMindLA wrote:
Just wait until he starts blaming players on the team. If those comments cross the line, I wouldn’t be shocked to see players confront Lonzo based on his fathers comments.

Lonzo's already let it be known he isn't backing off his father. That's his dad, and his dad has always been this way.

They want to stop hearing LaVar's opinion? Tell the media to stop asking for it.

Let the media pull Julius Randle's mother aside and ask her "So how do you think Luke's been doing with your son." and watch the answer they get, if she's not being diplomatic

Ask a lot of parents and see what the answer is. The problem is, they don't get asked, only LaVar does, and he says the same things that Lakers fans are already saying, or something pertaining to his son who is on the team.

This should shock no one whatsoever. They need to stop acting like it when the only reason they asked was because they know he has no filter and it will hit the mainstream.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

What if the Lakers would rather the dialogue be more about Lavar Ball instead of their record? There's some overlap there, don't get me wrong, but not entirely.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo needs to be a man and not "I'll play for anybody" crap on this situation. He scared to choose sides between his over bearing father and laid back coach but it's time he does that in public while behind close doors telling his pop to chill the f out.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
What if the Lakers would rather the dialogue be more about Lavar Ball instead of their record? There's some overlap there, don't get me wrong, but not entirely.

One points out the other... there is a strong connection between the 2. Daddy Ball seems to think his son is being done some grave injustice and that is why we are losing.
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

It's funny how we complain about Papa Ball, but he's actually brought a great storyline to the Lakers. Outside of Ingram, we were literally on the fast track to Nowheresville and then Lavar Ball arrived on the scene. Think about it. We ended up with fresh faces, mounds of hype, and a talented young core.

Of course there are people who will call him a distraction and whatnot, but the Lakers need that distraction to be Showtime. If this pressures Luke to connect better with the players, I'm all for it. If this convinces the players to work together defensively, I'm all for it. I'm also for someone else having an opinion, even Lavar Ball.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What actions should/ can Lakers take to silence Lavar?

LakerMindLA wrote:

Ask yourself this question. If Lavar couldnt go to the games would he still get interviewed and would he still answer the questions as HE saw fit? YES or NO

Remember Lavar is a 50 year old grown man. What other man can tell him what to do if he isnt doing anything illegal?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

One points out the other... there is a strong connection between the 2. Daddy Ball seems to think his son is being done some grave injustice and that is why we are losing.

exactly.

If you thought your son could save a franchise, not just because he's your son and you like your son better than other players. but because your son plays a specific style of basketball that you think is best for nba teams to play. You would then assume any team with your son is much better off, than the ones without him.
CHRISTYLE70
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What actions should/ can Lakers take to silence Lavar?

splashmtn wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Ask yourself this question. If Lavar couldnt go to the games would he still get interviewed and would he still answer the questions as HE saw fit? YES or NO

Remember Lavar is a 50 year old grown man. What other man can tell him what to do if he isnt doing anything illegal?

Exactly, the only difference between Lavar and alot of parents is the news keeps asking him his opinion, Isaiah Thomas "Zeke" said the other night that his mom was probably worse except Jeff Goodman aint throwing a mic in her face after every tough loss like they are with Lavar looking for a soundbite. Hes a grown man he can say whatever he wants, Magic Rob and no one else can tell him what to say, thats ridiculous its up to the players to do their job and for Luke to do his. Whats next we are gonna ban Lakersground because some of these opinions make leak to Luke or the players. Please Grow a pair and do your job.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Lonzo needs to be a man and not "I'll play for anybody" crap on this situation. He scared to choose sides between his over bearing father and laid back coach but it's time he does that in public while behind close doors telling his pop to chill the f out.
um, it aint happening. His dad is 50+ years old and has been the same person his entire life. Aint no way his own son is going to quiet him down. If Tina ball was 100% healthy and never had that stroke. she couldnt shut him down. If granddaddy ball told him to pipe down. he wouldnt. he's a fully grown man thats getting of the age where you dont change much. so for people to keep praying that some how some way someone ...Zo included, can change lavar is crazy.

dont waste your time.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
^would love to know who said that. My guess is Ingram

I was thinking Kuzma after that quote today..

Mike Trudell‏Verified account
@LakersReporter

Kyle Kuzma on Luke Walton: “Luke is my guy. I love playing for him … we stand by Luke. I know the front office does.”
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
confront lonzo to be even more upset when he tells them " i can't stop my father from talking."
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

Having some loudmouth mouth off to distract from organizational incompetence is something we're used to as Americans at this point.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

If people on this board can't resist starting duplicative threads about Lavar Balltic and his antics, why would anyone think that the media could quit reporting every last thing that he says? If the media will report whatever he says, why would he shut up?

As I said in one of the other threads, this is a crisis for Magic. He may not be able to make Lavar shut up, but he needs to show that he is in charge and that there are consequences for this behavior. I agree with Ramona on this one:

Quote:
LaVar Ball's current target is Walton. Next it could be Johnson or Buss or Pelinka or any of Lonzo's teammates. There will always be a microphone or television camera around to capture him saying it, whether it's ESPN or any other media entity.

The story now is how the Lakers react. Appeasement hasn't worked. Neither has deference. Silence only makes his voice louder and helps grow the seeds he's trying to plant.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22003144/nba-los-angeles-lakers-magic-johnson-need-hold-lavar-ball-accountable
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

Nothing will quite the guy, except maybe if Lonzo were to say something. But I don't think the kid has it in him to do that.
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Obama can do no wrong. Let Obama talk to this Ball guy for basketball reason.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Drone strike.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Simple, everytime a question is asked about Lavar, just answer if he's so good why isn't he earning big money being a real college/nba coach. It's obvious he's living off his son's talent and trying to get famous over it. It's not like this hasn't ever happened in the nba before. Lavar is essentially a glorified monday morning quarterback, nothing less nothing more.

Personally, I think the mind games that Phil used to play in the media were a lot more damaging. Phil actually has credibility and the rings to back it up, Lavar not so much. If we can survive through Phil, we can make it through Lavar.

ETA: Lonzo is not his father and from all indications seem to be a hardworking rookie who is benefiting our team. He shouldn't be traded to pay for the sins of his father.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Continue ignoring him and trying to win ball games.

I don't see it as a big deal at all.

Coaching as unsuccessfully as Walton has (his lifetime coaching record is far worse than say Byron Scott, yikes) is going to get you some criticism.

Whether it is from a players family or someone else, does it really matter?

Walton needs to worry about what he can control as right now he seems to be in WAY over his head.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: