What actions should/ can Lakers take to silence Lavar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
deal wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
mookielala wrote:

I agree with you on this. It's presumptuous for the coaches to tell ESPN what to cover. That's overstepping.

I agree. Considering the league is about 90% black, it seems like hypocrisy for some of these white coaches (Carlisle, Van Gundy, Popovich) to be demanding Lavar Ball be silenced, it makes me uncomfortable as it screams of "the black man need to be controlled" or some (bleep) like that.

It is OK I guess for Popovich and Kerr to spew their political views after the games, but God forbid a parent of a star player say anything about a bad coach.

Not to mention anyone with eyes could see the team was playing with little effort or heart during parts of that losing streak and needed to be called out.

White coaches? these guys work the right way with people of all colors. You're
barking up the wrong tree there. Pop? Kerr? Totally, into us minorities, as I see them.

Their point is not a about a jerk, no matter what color he is...

Popovich is well known for overreacting and making very dumb statements. His complaining about the Lakers Pau Gasol trade was so far over the line it was ridiculous.

I also don't like his constant harping on politics as if he is an expert. He isn't and comes off like a sanctimonious prick.

I like Kerr better, but for him to demand Lavar Ball not express his opinions is frankly....pathetic. As Lonzo said himself, Lavar Ball is a grown man and will say whatever he wants.

He is obviously pushing some sensitive buttons with these coaches, but all I know is the team was circling the drain before he turned up the heat on Luke.

I understand your last post but in the prior you make it about race, and it's not. To your point both Pop and Kerr have been very critical of white politician; if they're experts or not that's a fact.

As far as I'm concerned, they are circling wagons with Luke because he is the coach and Lavar isn't. All attempts, from a true media diva, to undermine the team is not welcome from that community. When you lose as many games as we did, I'm sure the fire was already on Luke (coming from himself and the FO).

It was a great show of force for the Ownership and the FO to back Luke while not talking about LaVar. Underlined message is; he has no vote.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject:

To answer the OP's question - I think the Laker's current 4 game winning steak is the best answer to Lavar Ball's idiotic, self-serving blathering and ESPN's gleeful sensationalistic coverage of everything negative he has to say.

I follow the Lakers for sports, not controversy or ridiculous clown acts. I'm glad other coaches have Luke's back. Everyone knows Lonzo has a loudmouth Dad. Nobody but the Laker fans who actually pay attention know Lonzo's pushing the team to the fastest pace in the NBA and averaging 7 rebounds 7 assists as a 20 year old point guard in his first half season in the NBA. That tells me the sport of basketball takes a back seat in how ESPN, TNT and many so called analysts are covering the Lakers.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:

Ownership & the FO took to supporting Luke
as a solution to LaVar but I still like your "shot-gun"
therapy;
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

JustLakers wrote:
Trade the son as his father is a toxic and bad news. He is nothing but a big mouth jerk. Trade the son and part away from all the BS and drama. He will never shut up.

That would be a terrible idea Bill Plaschke.

You don't trade away a stud because you are butt hurt that daddy called out a bad coach.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:

I understand your last post but in the prior you make it about race, and it's not. To your point both Pop and Kerr have been very critical of white politician; if they're experts or not that's a fact.

As far as I'm concerned, they are circling wagons with Luke because he is the coach and Lavar isn't. All attempts, from a true media diva, to undermine the team is not welcome from that community. When you lose as many games as we did, I'm sure the fire was already on Luke (coming from himself and the FO).

It was a great show of force for the Ownership and the FO to back Luke while not talking about LaVar. Underlined message is; he has no vote.

I am not saying he has a vote, but to talk about "how do we silence" a grown man is ridiculous to me.

How about instead of "silencing him" you just don't respond to the things he says? That is how you handle the situation, not by getting hysterical and demanding ESPN stop covering him as then (to quote Lavar) you are outside your lane big time.

Last edited by LakerLanny on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
I say give him a job as the 3rd guy in the booth. Lets hear what he has to say it is entertaining and how do you take him too seriously. It would drive ratings and it would give him an outlet to give commentary and constructive criticism which might not hear either.

Luke can be Mr. Nice guy and play his head games and LaVar can be tough love. He would get some messages across the need to be communicated.

He does look kind of like Stu, after all.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
I say give him a job as the 3rd guy in the booth. Lets hear what he has to say it is entertaining and how do you take him too seriously. It would drive ratings and it would give him an outlet to give commentary and constructive criticism which might not hear either.

Luke can be Mr. Nice guy and play his head games and LaVar can be tough love. He would get some messages across the need to be communicated.

He would be a lot more entertaining to listen to than Stu, that's for sure.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

He would be a lot more entertaining to listen to than Stu, that's for sure.

You're right about that. Listening to Stu is the equivalent to watching paint dry.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

“never mind what haters say, ignore 'em 'til they fade away” -TI

Honestly, ban LA media from interviewing him, and anyone who does interview him, will not get access to Staples / Lakers coverage.

Lets see which 1 they value more, their livelyhood or Lavar.
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Continue ignoring him and trying to win ball games.

Yeah, the Lakers just gotta tune him out, let him hang himself with the media. Chances are only way any laker news get to him is Lonzo, so they let Zo know Dad isn't part of this club. Any more false stories coming from his mouth and The media will be done with Lavar. #ShutupZo
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
To answer the OP's question - I think the Laker's current 4 game winning steak is the best answer to Lavar Ball's idiotic, self-serving blathering and ESPN's gleeful sensationalistic coverage of everything negative he has to say.

here's the thing about what he said. you do realize quite a few of your very own Lgers have said as much. the moment we start losing game after game. "is luke the right coach?" why would you ask that unless you think he's lost the team? you wouldnt. So there's a faction of LG that hate lavar and all they think he stands for. but agrees with what he said about luke possibly losing the team. i would like for many of our lgers to admit this. You are no better than lavar. the only difference is that he actually coached 3 sons who by techincal terms are much better at basketball than many people are in the US. He coached one son that has made it to a #2 pick and is on the lakers. he has his own style of play based on how he had his sons playing.
So of course when one of his sons aint getting the playing time he thinks he deserves. he's going to say something just like any parent would and already does. they just dont have the mic in their face 24/7. thats the medias choice and yours for constantly talking about him..good or bad. But he's also complaining because he coached his sons and other kids a certain way. he believes thats the way to coach a team and his son.he has his own philosophy about how basketball should be coached, and played. thats not a bad thing. thats his thing.

but with all that said. a lot of people that are laker fans felt the same way about luke and said it right here on lg. but when he says it.
ohhh No....

The truth is. He put the coach on blast but also the players. are you guys no longer listening to your player friendly coach? If not, then keep losing. If you are, you better tighten up and act like it. Well the laker players decided to go with option B. tighten up and act like they like their coach.

Thanks Lavar.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:

here's the thing about what he said. you do realize quite a few of your very own Lgers have said as much. the moment we start losing game after game. "is luke the right coach?" why would you ask that unless you think he's lost the team? you wouldnt. So there's a faction of LG that hate lavar and all they think he stands for. but agrees with what he said about luke possibly losing the team. i would like for many of our lgers to admit this. You are no better than lavar. the only difference is that he actually coached 3 sons who by techincal terms are much better at basketball than many people are in the US. He coached one son that has made it to a #2 pick and is on the lakers. he has his own style of play based on how he had his sons playing.
So of course when one of his sons aint getting the playing time he thinks he deserves. he's going to say something just like any parent would and already does. they just dont have the mic in their face 24/7. thats the medias choice and yours for constantly talking about him..good or bad. But he's also complaining because he coached his sons and other kids a certain way. he believes thats the way to coach a team and his son.he has his own philosophy about how basketball should be coached, and played. thats not a bad thing. thats his thing.

but with all that said. a lot of people that are laker fans felt the same way about luke and said it right here on lg. but when he says it.
ohhh No....

The truth is. He put the coach on blast but also the players. are you guys no longer listening to your player friendly coach? If not, then keep losing. If you are, you better tighten up and act like it. Well the laker players decided to go with option B. tighten up and act like they like their coach.

Thanks Lavar.

I actually support Luke but I do think there's a difference between Lavar and people at LG, even if they say the same thing, i.e. calling for Luke's head.

I don't agree with the premise that Lavar is just some ordinary fan. Lavar is the father of one of our top young stars. He is also a media personality whose words get transmitted across all national news outlets. Because of these reasons, his words have a much greater effect on the morale of the current team, than what some ordinary fan says on the internet. Especially, since our team is so young and have not learned how to tune out the media yet. I think LGers who don't like him are thinking of his effect on the team, an effect that they don't actually have even if they had voiced something similar on a fan message board. If Lavar wants to say it privately, it's harmless but there is a harmful consequence on the team when he says it publicly, which might translate into additional losses.

It's like what spiderman says with great power comes great responsibility. I myself am not going to state an opinion of whether the rationale I outlined above should be valid. Someone might argue that the value of Lavar's free speech trumps all else, including the detrimental impact that it is having on the team; a fact that Nance basically admitted to. But I do think that the distinction between Lavar and normal fans is not an arbitrary one and people do have an arguable point when they draw such a distinction.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject:

I’m a Lavar guy but I’m not a fan of him calling out organization personnel. Zo needs to tell his dad to chill when it comes to bad mouthing his coworkers.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject:

play Lonzo 48 mins per game.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
JustLakers wrote:
Trade the son as his father is a toxic and bad news. He is nothing but a big mouth jerk. Trade the son and part away from all the BS and drama. He will never shut up.

You don't trade away a stud because you are butt hurt that daddy called out a bad coach.

Right... Trade the best player we've drafted possibly since Kobe, just because his loud mouth dad gets media attention. 🙄 Sounds like something you'd find on Facebook rather than LG.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject:

lmao this guy wants to trade our franchise point guard because he thinks his dad's annoying
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

For now, they should continue to ignore him.

If he is half as smart as he says he is, he will learn that he needs to shut the hell up if he has any hopes of getting his other two kids into the NBA!

In other words, he needs to focus on what is best for his other two kids and leave the one that actually made it to the NBA alone...
NYLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

I've been playing and coaching sports for more than 50 years. I've encountered at least 100+ parents over the years just like Lavar. Loud, know-it-alls who claim credit for everything their kids accomplish and who all know more than any coach. Hell ... I tended toward that behavior myself when my kids played HS ball as the majority of HS coaches do not have a clue. The main difference between Lavar and those fathers is the size of the audience.

Based on what I've seen of Lonzo's play, he has actually done a helluva job teaching his boys the game and how it should be played. I think the Lakers and Luke are also handling it perfectly. Ignore the loud-mouth father on the sidelines.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Blame BSPN for keep giving him a platform. If the media ignores him, then nobody will know about what his loud mouth has to say all the time. I hate it when BSPN gives Lavar the front page so the whole world has to read about his childish rants. We should stop making threads about him because he loves the attention. It'll only encourage him to speak more. If we all keep ignoring him, he'll go away eventually.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Hire John Wick and the Equalizer the take him out

LOL
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Neither one of his other boys look like they will ever be nba talent. Lakers won’t have to do anything. When we pass on those guys another gleague team can have them and he will become their headache
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
JustLakers wrote:

Agree. Are these the same people that would have wanted the Lakers to trade away Kobe many years ago because him and Shaq weren't getting along? Lakers are always gonna attract some sort of drama. A loudmouth dad is the least of their concerns right now anyways.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
If people on this board can't resist starting duplicative threads about Lavar Balltic and his antics, why would anyone think that the media could quit reporting every last thing that he says? If the media will report whatever he says, why would he shut up?

As I said in one of the other threads, this is a crisis for Magic. He may not be able to make Lavar shut up, but he needs to show that he is in charge and that there are consequences for this behavior. I agree with Ramona on this one:

Quote:
LaVar Ball's current target is Walton. Next it could be Johnson or Buss or Pelinka or any of Lonzo's teammates. There will always be a microphone or television camera around to capture him saying it, whether it's ESPN or any other media entity.

The story now is how the Lakers react. Appeasement hasn't worked. Neither has deference. Silence only makes his voice louder and helps grow the seeds he's trying to plant.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22003144/nba-los-angeles-lakers-magic-johnson-need-hold-lavar-ball-accountable

There's only one way he shuts up and thats when he wins. the only way he wins, is when his son is winning. the only way that happens right now is if the lakers are winning.

Lastly, everyone keeps talking about that earlier meeting they had when they asked lavar to not be so negative when he speaks. Does anyone know if they said just dont specifically say anything about the players negatively? because if they said that. He would still be compliant with the conversation they had. no one has yet asked that specific question. Thats very important. Basically you can bash us, we're grown ups, you can bash luke, he's an adult. but do not bash these young guys. especially the kids from this era. they can't take it. we all know this is true. Lavar specifically stated in that statement about luke "they have a good team."

it was as if he had to make sure he let it be known it aint the players. maybe its the coach. Remember the slow white guys comment. sure he was half joking. but it didnt matter since zo was no longer on the team. But basically i dont think the lakers do anything about access unless he says something negative about specific players. Truth is, no one has him on record outside of that slow white guys comment with lavar ever bashing the players. He's always got at the coach. I dont ever remember him saying how bad his sons teammates were on those chino teams or the AAU squads.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Neither one of his other boys look like they will ever be nba talent. Lakers won’t have to do anything. When we pass on those guys another gleague team can have them and he will become their headache
you do realize his kid brother is .... a kid right? Melo could grow 5 more inches and become a completely different player. or not.

Gelo is a shooter scorer. there's always room on the bench for a guy that can make shots. now will they make room for him? who knows.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
I’m a Lavar guy but I’m not a fan of him calling out organization personnel. Zo needs to tell his dad to chill when it comes to bad mouthing his coworkers.
Why not You do it.

This is what i dont understand Lgers. please help a bruh out. How is it that no one on here can take Lavar talking about the lakers ORG, FO, Coaches. But we can talk all the crap we want and no one on LG better not tell us to shut up. Why the double standard? Just because he has a microphone? Oh you guys forgot that you have media people on this site right? Oh, maybe you guys forgot the media will come here and steal(borrow) our topics and our sentiment and put it on their radio shows. I've heard it done numerous times. I've seen articles written based on topics and what some of us have said about the org.

So we too have a big microphone. I can dial up a thread right now with some of us in this very thread completely dissing JC or Randle or both, others dissing Zo, or Ingram. Let alone what they have said about the Buss family jeanie and jim. We got people on LG letting it be known that they think magic was a terrible choice. and a lot of Lgers dont even based what they say on fact or actual video evidence. they base it on how they feel at that moment. LG.net is Lavar ball. We're loud mouth, we always got something to say about who we like and who we see as our sons(JC/Randle/DLO, etc.) while killing who we dont let into the inner circle(JC/Randle/DLO when he was a laker, the coach, the front office.)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: