I was at the game, I have some questions

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Van-Exel26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: I was at the game, I have some questions

Tough loss but at least it was a pretty exciting game. Anyways, I have some questions about some things:

-Why didn't Kwame play in the 4th quarter? In a game that we need defense and rebounding, we play COOK over Kwame in the 4th quarter!? Kwame was having a good game in the limited minutes he saw in the game. I saw him fall in the third quarter and assumed he either banged knees or got hit the balls. Was that the reason he didn't return or is Phil Jackson just that stunted?

-Did Smush get fouled on that dunk during the end of the game or did he just flat out miss it? Also, did Kobe get fouled too when he got the rebound or did he just slip?

-Any possible explanation why Kobe missed all those free throws? Was anything said to be bothering him?

-Is Turiaf alright after that nasty spill he took?
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject:

1. I guess Phil forgot about him after picking up 4 fouls. He also tweaked his ankle and might have asked to stay out.

2. He just hit the heel of the rim, and I think Kobe lost his footing when he took a step in between the 2 defenders.

3. Bad night? Not the first time.

4. After he made those FTs and smiled I'm sure he's fine.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject:

TGF has 'em pretty much covered for ya.

On #3, if you wanna make a case for something, you shoot from your legs
(even on FTs). Kobe played 47 mins tonight, and had played 46 and 47
in each of his last two outtings.

I don't personally think that's what it was, but if you're looking for a
reason that's at least worth a mention.
Van-Exel26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject:

I guess Kobe just choked
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject:

That 35ft double clutch 3 was incredible though. And at the end of the 3rd when he missed at the buzzer I just love the anticipation of the crowd and everyone going OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject:

Smush flat out misses the dunk. He was trying to play streetball and showboat. He took off too early and couldn't get up enough to jam it in. I guess those two reverse dunks he had against Utah got to his head.

Maybe Kobe's legs are tired from having to do a lot. Even trying to involve everyone else takes it toll. That's no excuse though. Missing is contagious but Kobe just needs to keep his concentration. He doesn't look as focused as when he was on that franchise free throw streak. Kobe can't play down to the level of the scrubs and miss his free throws too.

Turiaf is ok. Dude's a warrior. He got his first points in the NBA off of two free throws.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject:

Choking implies faltering because of pressure. Kobe's misses didn't occur because he couldn't handle the pressure, he just found himself out of sorts tonight, and couldn't right the ship. Giant difference.

The real question is, how did you fare in your quest for television glory?
Van-Exel26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
The real question is, how did you fare in your quest for television glory?

I was too bumed out to even care about that after the game . I just headed straight for my car and basked in the depression of my fellow Laker fans on the radio.

BTW, I have another question. What the hell was up with that three point shot Kobe jacked up at the end of first half? He just ran straight up and jacked a 3 when there was still like 7 seconds left on the clock. Kobe NEVER does that, he always waits for the the clock expire to shoot the ball. It made absolutely no sense and confused the hell out of everybody.

Last edited by Van-Exel26 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

Good to hear you aren't one of the legion who celebrate like the Lakers just won the championship when they've just suffered another crushing defeat.

He shot that '3' because the Hawks had a foul to give, Kobe anticipated them taking it, they in fact tried to take it (they fouled him), and I'll be darned if the refs didn't refuse to call it, despite Atlanta's best intentions.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject:

On Kobe's FT misses, PJ stated that Kobe had played constant major minutes and his legs were starting to feel "heavy." This resulted in PJ calling TO's to give him some extra time before the FTs
Van-Exel26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
Good to hear you aren't one of the legion who celebrate like the Lakers just won the championship when they've just suffered another crushing defeat.

He shot that '3' because the Hawks had a foul to give, Kobe anticipated them taking it, they in fact tried to take it (they fouled him), and I'll be darned if the refs didn't refuse to call it, despite Atlanta's best intentions.

Ah, that explains it, thanks. The thing I don't like about the jumbotron is that it doesn't tell you neither how many total fouls a team has or how many timeouts each team has left. They really need to add it somewhere on there.

Last edited by Van-Exel26 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
venicebeach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject:

I think kobe's leg is tied and I hope that after all star break he can play better with more penetration and less three point shoot
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject:

Kobe needs to stop jacking them threes up though. Wide open shots ok but he's forcing them with a hand in his face.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject:

Re: Kwame

He twisted his ankle coming down on Lamar's foot. Phil said in his post game press conf. that after he twisted it, Kwame stopped playing hard, so he benched him...bad move by phil, I thought. Bench him for a bit to send a message, then put him back in, especially if you are getting killed like that on the boards.

Phil also has been saying for several games that Kobe's legs are tired, which was the reason he wasn't shooting well. and that's why he was trying to rest him as much as possible over the last few game...he implied that was the reason for the missed free throws as well as being out of rhythm. said he tried to call time outs to get him some rest before shooting them...

I think the loss was a result of looking past this team and looking forward to the time off. They just couldn't bring themselves to focus on the game. After the good start, they felt this would be an easy win, forgetting that Atlanta has beaten both Detroit and SA this season...inspite of the lack of D, if we'd hit even half the free throws we missed, we would have won the game...unbelievable.

But like Phil said, they did a good job forcing turnovers and shot a good % from the field, but they didn't drive and kick enough, settling for contested outside shots and couldn't hit their freethrows down the stretch. He also said Lamar being in foul trouble hurt them because he is the team's best rebounder, and without Kwame/Odom in foul trouble for most of the games, they got outrebounded badly. Basically just a piss poor effort...I mean, not even putting your hands up on D??? Ugh.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: