Ball vs. DLO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
55 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
epak wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
A lot of people already said similar, but I'll chime in anyhow.

Ball >>> DLO, and I was a big DLO fan.

But Ball + DLO would have been out of this world fun to watch.

How is DLOs wind?

Brooklyn was leading the nba in pace with him.

Was he throwing outlets or running the wings? Haven't seen them play at all.

Both, and pushing with the ball.

You think he has the motor to run the wings like Kuz/Ingram/KCP with Ball pushing the pace?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
55 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
epak wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

How is DLOs wind?

You think he has the motor to run the wings like Kuz/Ingram/KCP with Ball pushing the pace?

I've always thought Russell's motor issues were much more pronounced on the defensive end. He didn't push the pace well with the ball in his hands, but I always thought he did a good job of running his lane and filling corner or (more frequently) the wing spot. He rarely got the outlet pass when he did that, but that wouldn't be a problem with Zo.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Like most DLO threads that originate on the main LG page, what's the point? Can we just move on?

This thread is fun, just to see you go through the gambit of your emotions Yinoma makes it worth it. 😂

But what's the point? Everyone's said their piece. It's like rehashing your divorce.

True that

Damn RI Laker, I just wrote a whole novel backing you up (see post above ☝️) 😂.

I'm not saying you're not right Yin, but this topic is clearly affecting you. I've read all you're answers & its been like a Rollercoaster ride for you. I do think this thread will eventually be moved though, for your sake st least. 😁

But that's the point. It's intended to get a ride out of posters here...literally for no reason. If it's Lonzo-centric (which it should be), then bring it up in the Lonzo thread. If you want to bash/love DLO, there's one in the general discussion.

You're the only who seems to be getting riled up here. You're the first one to post in the thread, 4 posts on the 1st page alone, a major contributor to the topic, and then decide when to lock up the thread. No one is coming to your Dlo thread in the other forum and saying to lock it up because they feel it ran it's course and they're tired of the "I miss you Dlo" posts.
This insecurity you carry about Dlo and anyone posting for/against needs to stop, for your sanity's sake. This topic is about both players, not to bash either one, and it's been quite civil.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
55 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
55 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
epak wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

How is DLOs wind?

I've always thought Russell's motor issues were much more pronounced on the defensive end. He didn't push the pace well with the ball in his hands, but I always thought he did a good job of running his lane and filling corner or (more frequently) the wing spot. He rarely got the outlet pass when he did that, but that wouldn't be a problem with Zo.

I'm going to have to catch a game when he returns to the lineup and see for myself. I didn't feel like he pushed it enough when he was here or that he was even able to due to a slower motor. I'm surprised they lead the league in pace as 24 said.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Like most DLO threads that originate on the main LG page, what's the point? Can we just move on?

This thread is fun, just to see you go through the gambit of your emotions Yinoma makes it worth it. 😂

But what's the point? Everyone's said their piece. It's like rehashing your divorce.

True that

Damn RI Laker, I just wrote a whole novel backing you up (see post above ☝️) 😂.

I'm not saying you're not right Yin, but this topic is clearly affecting you. I've read all you're answers & its been like a Rollercoaster ride for you. I do think this thread will eventually be moved though, for your sake st least. 😁

But that's the point. It's intended to get a ride out of posters here...literally for no reason. If it's Lonzo-centric (which it should be), then bring it up in the Lonzo thread. If you want to bash/love DLO, there's one in the general discussion.

You're the only who seems to be getting riled up here. You're the first one to post in the thread, 4 posts on the 1st page alone, a major contributor to the topic, and then decide when to lock up the thread. No one is coming to your Dlo thread in the other forum and saying to lock it up because they feel it ran it's course and they're tired of the "I miss you Dlo" posts.
This insecurity you carry about Dlo and anyone posting for/against needs to stop, for your sanity's sake. This topic is about both players, not to bash either one, and it's been quite civil.

Edit: fair enough.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
I'm going to have to catch a game when he returns to the lineup and see for myself. I didn't feel like he pushed it enough when he was here or that he was even able to due to a slower motor. I'm surprised they lead the league in pace as 24 said.

The criticisms about how he pushed the pace with the ball in hands are fair and true. What I'm saying is that when he doesn't have the ball, he does a good job at filling the lane in transition. He isn't the type that would get all the way to the rack, but he'd be good at spotting up for an open 3. KCP gets a lot of these looks, and Russell gets to the same spots. He just wasn't really getting those outlet passes from guys like Young, Deng, Randle, or Mozgov, which is who he primarily played with. Those guys also don't have enough ball handling to move him off of the ball that often in the first place, so he'd usually have the ball in his hands.

The closest thing that represents what I'm talking about is when Randle would push the ball in transition, Russell would often already be up court, and get a 3PT shot out of a kickback from Randle.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

Even the most diehard DLO KoolAid drinker can admit Lonzo is a better player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:

I have Lonzo with greater "starpower" than DLO for sure. But my angle is that they would be even greater together.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
guess a good Q is, personality/family aside, would you trade Lonzo for D'Angelo?

Nope.

Kinda settles who has the better value, maybe even who’s better
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:

This is unnecessary. It says more about your u than the people you reference.

Last edited by Omar Little on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
55 wrote:

The criticisms about how he pushed the pace with the ball in hands are fair and true. What I'm saying is that when he doesn't have the ball, he does a good job at filling the lane in transition. He isn't the type that would get all the way to the rack, but he'd be good at spotting up for an open 3. KCP gets a lot of these looks, and Russell gets to the same spots. He just wasn't really getting those outlet passes from guys like Young, Deng, Randle, or Mozgov, which is who he primarily played with. Those guys also don't have enough ball handling to move him off of the ball that often in the first place, so he'd usually have the ball in his hands.

The closest thing that represents what I'm talking about is when Randle would push the ball in transition, Russell would often already be up court, and get a 3PT shot out of a kickback from Randle.

I agree with everything you said. Randle was more so of the one who would push the ball and find Russell for the 3. We didn't have anyone else who was capable of that. Ingram wasn't an option last year to create for others.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I created the thread but it was not to divide the board. I was genuinely curious about how the 2 players compared. While only a casual lurker for a long time, I did not understand the bad feelings. Sorry if I dredged some of those up.
Anyways, I think I learned a lot from the posts from everyone.

For me, it is more of a salary cap planning thing and a health thing. I am worried for DLO about his knees. That by itself for me would tilt things to Lonzo who seems more robust (knock on wood).

Now in terms of the salary cap:

1. Trading DLO allows a 2 max plan - big deal if it happens. Obviously this is the best case scenario.

2. Trading DLO allows a hybrid 2018/2019 2 max FA plan. If the summer goes badly or we only get 1 max, this would require renouncing Randle or trading Randle during the summer or after an extension. This to me is even a bigger deal than the 2018 2 max plan. If we do not get 2 max this summer, we can reload a couple larger one-year contracts like KCP. This allows us more shots at 2 max after Lonzo, BI and Kuz have 1 or more additional years to mature.

Why the focus on timing and salary cap and flexibility, it is because BI's contract clock and when his option/extensions are due. BI's option in 2020/2021 is only $10M. So we could keep the Lonzo/BI/Kuz core together at only $15M in 2018 and $16M in 2019 and $22M in 2020. We would need to only sign 1 year contracts for the remaining cap space. Hypothetically, if still around, the contracts for both Deng and Clarkson end after 2019/2020 season. An expiring Deng would be much easier to trade.

Lets consider the bad scenario for 2018 but Clarkson and Randle traded:

ball-hart-bi-kuz-nance/bryant/zubac
ennis-?-?-nance-zubac/bryant

we would have 3 holes to fill - backup sg, backup sf and possibly starting C
and there would be over 60M cap space available to lavish on 1 year contracts

if we fail to get a max FA in 2019 summer, the team could even eat an expiring bad contract from someone in exchange for a nice pick.

Last edited by cal1piggy on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:

They can't because they went so overboard on a marginal talent.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
They would have gelled really well, I'll tell you that - very complementary skill sets.

Exactly. I think Lonzo would have actually helped DLO and vice versa. Sad that some fans will pit the two against each other when they should have been playing together.

To be fair didn't Dlo pit them against each before any of us when he liked the tweet about us not drafting Zo or something like that? I think there was more to the trade than just us wanting to get rid of Dlo. I have a feeling there were signs of the two not working possibly for D'Angelos end.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

You really just read what you want to see, don't you?
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

I have Lonzo with greater "starpower" than DLO for sure. But my angle is that they would be even greater together.

There can be no together, only separate!!
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Hindsight is always 20/20 but I do remember this...

2014: I wanted Smart, we missed out on him and took Randle
2015: I wanted Okafor, we took DLo (confident we had Aldridge in the bag)
2016: Ingram was the consolation prize to Simmons (although Jaylen Brown is lookin nice out there)

How would you feel about our team if it looked something like...

Okafor
Nance
Ingram
Hart
Smart

?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

Ingram?
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:

2016: Ingram was the consolation prize to Simmons (although Jaylen Brown is lookin nice out there)

Okafor
Nance
Ingram
Hart
Smart

?

That team wouldn't be able to hit water if they fell out of a boat.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

KungPau wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:

Okafor
Nance
Ingram
Hart
Smart

?

That team wouldn't be able to hit water if they fell out of a boat.

I wanted Smart Dlo Ingram Ball

I still wish we got Smart but the tank wasn't strong enough
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

OK, we are way past the point of expressing ideas and opinions, and we are down the rabbit hole of seeing how far we can push the moderation envelope. I'd say right about here and no more.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
If someone is offended by a thread... they should just ignore it and post on a different one. Why ruin everyone else's fun, just because someone doesn't like discussing a particular topic? Too much banning and locking already... as long as an OP isn't spamming or the thread title itself isn't offensive, they should let the posters decide with their posts what should stay up. The uninteresting threads will fall to the bottom as they should.

Just out of curiosity, you got a list of the excessive bans and locks?

I enjoy the board, and think you guys do a good job... however, I remember early on trying to make a few threads and they got locked so I just gave up for the most part. Probably should take the time to read the rules... but I don't like too much restriction in general. As I said, appreciate what you all do... but that was my initial impression so it stuck with me.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

You really just read what you want to see, don't you?

No, but to act like you weren't the biggest DLO guy on the board is disingenuous.

If "throwing it in my face" or whatever you said was your motivation to chase your dreams, then our interactions were more positive than I thought.

Best of luck to you on your new gig!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

Russell was our best player last year and I was all in to see them run together this year. Now that I've seen Lonzo more I'm not sure it was an ideal fit though. Defensive length and shooting over playmaking. Russell was a better defender than his rep but not a strength. Still would have enjoyed seeing how it worked but looking at different pairing now. PG is a perfect fit actually.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject:

#iknowalotaboutbasketball
#neverforget
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 11 of 22
Jump to: