Press Enterprise: Kupchak doesn't expect to make trade
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Press Enterprise: Kupchak doesn't expect to make trade

Quote:
LOS ANGELES - The Lakers are young and very thin in the backcourt, and they probably could use some help there, especially with veteran Aaron McKie still on the inactive list with a slight tear in his left quadriceps tendon.

But General Manager Mitch Kupchak said he doesn't expect to make a trade before next Thursday's deadline.

Kupchak knows that speculation about the Lakers will be flying about, like the rumors of a Lamar Odom trade that are circulating.

LINK

Another day in laker-land moving along.
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject:

:roll:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
lakersboxershorts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject:

Well figures... Mitch doesnt do anything. Look at this team he put together... is anyone else confused about the "vision".

We all agree Mitch could have made BETTER moves even with all the restrictions in la-la-land people use as excuse for lack of flexibility in Mitch's job.

2 years now, and Mitch could have put together a more sound team. Those Ballers you see on And1 are better than Sasha/Luke/InsertScrub'sNameHere

Let's get it together Mitch, we all know you are the master of deception and you are really making a move.

Then again he really is the master of deception if he makes a move or not, fooling J.BUSS and everyone else that this guy can actually GM!!!

HA!

Peace.
mulisha
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject:

The timing seems odd. More than a week before the deadline and after the last game before the all-star break.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject:

Whats funny is they expect Aaron to be the savior is this a freaking joke? what has this franchise become?
venicebeach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject:

:roll:
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject:

Is this a smokescreen or is this the actual truth cause this seriously has to be a joke
lakersboxershorts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject:

I just dont think Mitch can manuver moves like West or any other top GM in any sport. There was something on the table with NY, but they wanted Bynum and we wanted Frye, so no deal. Is it difficult to find a third team to parlay with? A third team could come in and offer the difference to make a deal work, its all about creativity, intelligence, and manuvering moves....................................................... What moves has Mitch ever manuvered since becoming a GM. Seriously! Besides the obvious Shaq trade, and the BS that came after that, Payton for Mihm, etc

On that note, I still feel the Payton for Mihm deal was horrible. We could have kept Payton (who felt jifted after the trade) and picked up a servicable bigman of equal talent and skill to Mihm... it's Chris Mihm people hes not hard to replace... or if Mitch was savvy, he could have done BETTER than Mihm. Gary can obviously still play.

This team lacks veterans who can provide leadership. The Bulls had it. The Rockets had it. The Pistons have it.

LETS DO THE DAMN THING!
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject:

Lionel is Mitch telling the truth?
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject:

All that matters is whether he makes a trade in real life. If he isn't convinced the Lakers need help at this point in the season, then they might as well trade Kobe Bryant right now and get it over with, cause they're not winning jack sh!t with Kupchak at the helm no matter how superhuman Kobe plays.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject:

Of course Mitch is telling the truth that's what this dude does which is nothing. I'm looking forward to a Draft pick this year are you??
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject:

me kupchak

me kupchak
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
Lionel is Mitch telling the truth?

Why would Mitch come out and say this if it were true? The one thing he wants is for Odom to feel secure. That's all this is. Odom isn't being moved. I don't think anything the Lakers say to the media means anything. I still expect a trade. Would be great if someone could confirm. My guess is, that its some small addition to the main trade and they're fighting over.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject:

PROPHET wrote:
Of course Mitch is telling the truth that's what this dude does which is nothing. I'm looking forward to a Draft pick this year are you??

Boston has our first round pick this year. It's only protected in the top 10, so if we finish with the 11th worst record or better they take the pick.

We have Miami's first rounder, wich is gonna be in the 20's. Currently #26 pick.

Last edited by MyKRo on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
vakobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject:

lakersboxershorts wrote:

On that note, I still feel the Payton for Mihm deal was horrible. We could have kept Payton (who felt jifted after the trade) and picked up a servicable bigman of equal talent and skill to Mihm... it's Chris Mihm people hes not hard to replace... or if Mitch was savvy, he could have done BETTER than Mihm. Gary can obviously still play.

This team lacks veterans who can provide leadership. The Bulls had it. The Rockets had it. The Pistons have it.

LETS DO THE DAMN THING!

What!!! Mitch takes enough abuse (and perhaps rightfully so) without you piling on with what was actually a good trade. You wouldn't trade a washed up, on his last legs Gary Payton for a much younger decent center like Mihm?? Payton's only contribution to the NBA during his year with the Lakers was turning Chauncey Billups from a good player into a superstar. Why you would have wanted him to remain a Laker, especially with Shaq and Malone no longer in the picture perplexes me.
teej
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject:

Smokescreen.
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject:

If this is true, I think Mitch is on his way out the door. Banking on an injured and aging point guard to save your season?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject:

If we don't make a move before the deadline, then it's obvious to me that he doesn't care about how we do this season. Losses like the one last night are embarrassing. We made Josh Smith look like an All Star last night. We play to the level of our competition and it cost us. We're not nearly good enough to take anyone for granted. It's obvious that a move needs to be made. We have expiring contracts to deal. If MK doesn't move them, then he's failed as a GM and he needs to be canned at the end of the season, JMO.
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject:

Oh please oh please let this be a joke. This current team is not going to improve. What do you think the lakers need the most? A real point guard, jumpshooter, frontcourt player, defensive player, or any combination?
Shakless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:

They need KG !!!
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject:

Press-Enterprise: Water is wet.

MIM
Mailman04
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: If this is true

and I don't know if it is or not, but if it is true then Kupchak needs to be fired and Buss needs to sell the team because I don't care if it is silver spoon Jimmy or Mitch calling the shots, they have lost all touch with reality. This team stinks and two years in a row Mitch has wasted the MLE on people who are over the hill. Phil says he wants Kwame to be a Dennis Rodman type, if so, why didn't they just sign Reggie Evans last year and keep Caron and Chucky instead of giving them away for Kwame. Mitch needs to make a GOOD trade and do it before Thursday. If not, I have lost all faith in the Laker organization. I'm sorry, I am positive 99 percent of the time, but this team played most of the fourth quarter without a post player and the guards are average at best other than Kobe. They need to become the Lakers again and not the Clippers settling for mediocrity.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject:

Watching this team on a nightly basis can be hazardous to your health. Watching them last night made me want to . The best way for me personally to deal with it is to not have any expectations. That's been my attitude the last two years. Nevertheless, last night was extremely frustrating and embarrassing.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject:

Before everyone panics they should actually read the entire interview with Mitch.

As usual, Mitch equivocates whenever he's asked a question.

He said he doesn't forsee any trades, but.....he's taking and making phone calls everyday and if the right deal comes along.

Now of course with Mitch's track record, we've got no reason to believe he'll get something done, or anything other than trading someone for a second round pick. But if there is a silver lining here, he left the door open for the possibility of something.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but no one should ever read much into what Mitch says.

Mitch essentially always says, every single time he's asked, a trade won't happen unless it does. Never definitive about anything (which is probably why he can't close deals). Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps. We'll see. Etc.

So this particular statement is really no different than any other one he's made since the off-season, since the season before, and the one before that.

The real question is whether Jerry Buss is actually even watching the games. If he is, then I can't imagine Mitch has very much job security left without making a significant move.
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:

lakersboxershorts wrote:

LETS DO THE DAMN THING!

The only good thing that comes from such an incredibly stupid post such as this one is that it exposes the your absolute lack of true basketball knowledge ... which is true of most of you bandwagon haters.

Mitch traded a washed-up cancerous PG and a number 1 pick in a very poor draft that is going to end up being in the 20-25 range.

He got back a starting center and a player, Jumaine Jones, who not only played well for us but in turn became two second round draft picks. And all Mihm has become is a solid starting center who is #12 among ALL centers in scoring, #15 in rebounding; #9 in OFFENSIVE rebounding; #16 in blocks; and is WAY underpaid for a big man at less than $4mil. AND who has averaged a 12/7 over the past month and a half ... putting him in the top TEN among ALL NBA centers.

And of course, that trade would have been even better had Payton not pulled the most professional BS ever.

And saying Payton can still play is ridiculous. His defensive skills are now below average and his offense is totally dependent on having the Big Fat guy in the middle. Tell me just how this would help the Lakers??????? Plus he is turning 38 this summer!!!!

Just in case you have missed basketball 101 ... one of the oldest axioms in the NBA is ... you never trade a good big man for a little man. Virutally all REAL NBA experts believe the Lakers and Mitch burned Boston in that deal. But then YOU may have some special insight that no one else posseses. After all ... you think Mihm is "not hard" to replace. Hmmmm ... maybe you were one of those who cried when Mitch didn't sign/acquire Jerome James or Hunter or Ely or any of a number of big guys that the whinners were screaming for this past offseason. Yeah ... THEY would have been better than Mihm (said with dripping sarcasm - in case you don't get it).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: