Corey Brewer's Consecutive Games Streak ends at 317
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Corey Brewer's Consecutive Games Streak ends at 317

Thanks Brewsky

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Great guy, not much of a player anymore...I’m sure he was tired of getting pity minutes anyway, I’m guessing him and luke discussed before the game.

Can’t say he’s a game changer on the court, but he’s the kind of Vet that’s great for our young guys. Great accomplishment!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject:

I wonder what Luke was thinking. Obviously he didn't care about Brewer's streak. Nor did he care to be the coach to break that streak. Oh well. Good streak Brewer.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject:

It was a good streak. All that matters is winning tho
Hollywood $winger
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject:

Luke just making more friends
on a side not brewer started following lavar on twitter after game
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

I would hope that Walton and Brewer had discussed it beforehand. Simply for the sake of professionalism. Brewer understanding and perhaps even initiating the conversation.

Would be pretty low and no reason to blindside Brewer. He may not be a star but he plays hard and impacts the game every time he takes the court. Solid professional IMO. Would hate to think he was at the end of the bench upset over not getting garbage mins at the end of the game.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject:

I was sort of expecting a trade announcement after the game.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

Yea hopefully Luke didnt did him dirty like that. One part of me thinks Luke wouldn't be like that... another part of me thinks he maybe could
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I would hope that Walton and Brewer had discussed it beforehand. Simply for the sake of professionalism. Brewer understanding and perhaps even initiating the conversation.

Would be pretty low and no reason to blindside Brewer. He may not be a star but he plays hard and impacts the game every time he takes the court. Solid professional IMO. Would hate to think he was at the end of the bench upset over not getting garbage mins at the end of the game.

only speculating....but it felt like it was not planned from the look on his face after the game....and the way several teammates were talking to him after the game. Hope him and Luke had spoke and he knew it might be coming.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

317 games isn't even four years, who cares?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

I mean, asides from 2 NCAA Championships, a 50+ game, and a handful of blooper reels, this was the only thing going on for Brewer. I kinda feel bad for him.

I wonder how this would reflect on Luke with Lakers players and NBA players.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

Brewer will likely not even be in the league next year. So does it really matter?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

bet there are things in your life that are extremely important to you that others might feel are meaningless. It was the longest current streak in the league.....so I assume it was somewhat important to him. If he wanted it to continue, and I was the coach....I would have made sure it continued for the remainder of the year....then let him and his next team deal with it going forward. Maybe he didn't care.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

bet there are things in your life that are extremely important to you that others might feel is meaningless. It was the longest current streak in the league.....so I assume it was somewhat important to him. If he wanted it to continue, and I was the coach....I would have made sure it continued for the remainder of the year....then let him and his next team deal with it going forward. Maybe he didn't care.

I gained some respect for Elisha Manning when he didn't just take the mercy start to keep his streak going when they were going to play Geno Smith.

My guess (and it is a guess) is that Brewer wouldn't want to go in with 34 seconds left or something just to maintain his streak because that type of stuff cheapens it. I could be completely wrong of course!
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

It was bound to be broken at some point or another. Luke might've been able to put him in at the end of this one, but he can't afford to play him every game just for the sake of his streak when his job is to win games. That's ridiculous, and after we've all complained non-stop about Brewer's minutes this season, I'm not about to get on Luke for NOT playing him. The things people get upset about nowadays is mind-boggling.

Last edited by TheBlackMamba on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

Is such a streak really meaningful if a player is getting in the game purely for the purpose of continuing it, rather than because his team actually needs him? I would say no.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

Grats Brewer, I dont how you mastered the Jedi mind trick but I think you should use your Jedi skills on the court too

No seriously how did he convinced 4 season worth of coaches to play him when he shouldn't even be in the league
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

some of you guys are acting like Brewer is not good enough to be on an NBA roster.....he definitely is still a NBA player....he likely several more years in the league. He will not be earning the nearly $8 Million salary he is this year....but he will be a nice fit on a solid team in need of bench wings.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Is such a streak really meaningful if a player is getting in the game purely for the purpose of continuing it, rather than because his team actually needs him? I would say no.

Yeah. If it reached a point that Brewer was going in for 30 seconds just to keep the streak alive it would have turned into a joke, and it was already trending that way.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
Yea hopefully Luke didnt did him dirty like that. One part of me thinks Luke wouldn't be like that... another part of me thinks he maybe could

Luke strikes me as the kind of guy who would do that as a joke that only he finds funny.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

This is it.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject:

Last night on the radio, the announcers said Luke asked Brewer if he wanted in during the final minute to keep the streak alive and Brewer shook his head. Obviously Brewer doesn't want pity playing time just to keep up a dumb streak.

You guys are making a big deal out of nothing.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

This one doesn't have the same feel as Eli Manning.

When JR Reid busted AC's teeth out with his elbow, Ace kept checking in for sparing minutes with the facemask. I think it's up to the player to decide what's right for himself if given the chance to factor into the decision. Some guys are gonna go for streaks, others don't want to add cameos to the tally. Barry Sanders turned down a state yards record in his final game in HS(!) He didn't even care that he got the Heisman.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

KungPau wrote:
Last night on the radio, the announcers said Luke asked Brewer if he wanted in during the final minute to keep the streak alive and Brewer shook his head. Obviously Brewer doesn't want pity playing time just to keep up a dumb streak.

You guys are making a big deal out of nothing.

Well then. As an American I will now use my god given rights to retract and flip flop whatever I've said till this point in my life thus far. 😂
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

How Corey Brewer’s reign as NBA’s active ironman came to an end with Lakers

Quote:
Earlier this season Luke Walton went to Corey Brewer with a question. The coach was mindful of the veteran swingman’s reign as the league’s active ironman, with a games played streak that before Thursday had reached 317 games.

“Would he want me to throw him in some game with three seconds, call a timeout type of thing just to keep the streak alive?” Walton recalled to the Southern California News Group on Thursday night.

He said Brewer replied, “No, just coach the game. If I’m playing I’m playing, if I’m not I’m not.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/12/how-corey-brewers-reign-as-nbas-active-ironman-came-to-an-end/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: