Anyone do Car Audio Installs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Anyone do Car Audio Installs?

Used to install my own systems back in the day but the game has changed so much. Looking to upgrade and could use input and/or install.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone do Car Audio Installs?

jonnybravo wrote:
Used to install my own systems back in the day but the game has changed so much. Looking to upgrade and could use input and/or install.

crazy right? A couple decades ago, my "system" was one of my biggest prides. Now when I am at an auto audio shop to get windows tinted or something, I look at the new stuff and everything has changed....much more sophisticated. Some the top shelf brands then are considered lower end now....if they are even still on the market.

Those were some good times.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

I used to spend countless hours tinkering with my "system" back in the day.

I've only installed new front door speakers in my Mom's car and in mine as well, in recent years. (As well as some sound deadening material in the door panels)

My current factory head unit has bluetooth, a rearview camera, aux input, usb input and steering wheel mounted controls already built in. Doing some research it seems like a pain to upgrade and keep all those functions without spending an arm and a leg AND having to add multiple accessories. I want to upgrade the sound/power of the head unit... But not sure it's worth it.

What were you thinking of installing?
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I used to buy MDF at home Depot and make my own subwoofer boxes as well. Fun times.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
I used to spend countless hours tinkering with my "system" back in the day.

I've only installed new front door speakers in my Mom's car and in mine as well, in recent years. (As well as some sound deadening material in the door panels)

My current factory head unit has bluetooth, a rearview camera, aux input, usb input and steering wheel mounted controls already built in. Doing some research it seems like a pain to upgrade and keep all those functions without spending an arm and a leg AND having to add multiple accessories. I want to upgrade the sound/power of the head unit... But not sure it's worth it.

What were you thinking of installing?

That's the thing...back in the day we used to always replace the head unit with an aftermarket. That way to do things I know how. I want to keep the head unit in ES350.

1. Add pair of components to front
2. Disable stock center channel.
3. Disable stock subwoofer.
4. Keep rear speeakers as fill running off stock amp.
5. Add subwoofer.

I already have the wiring for a subwoofer/amp. Apparently these days it's fairly easy to keep your stock system...they "tapped the line" or something like that.

So I'm thinking of an Alpine 4 channel, using 2 to the fronts and bridging 2 channels for the subwoofer and Morel comps for the fronts.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone do Car Audio Installs?

adkindo wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

crazy right? A couple decades ago, my "system" was one of my biggest prides. Now when I am at an auto audio shop to get windows tinted or something, I look at the new stuff and everything has changed....much more sophisticated. Some the top shelf brands then are considered lower end now....if they are even still on the market.

Those were some good times.

It's mainly changed in that most people keep their stock head unit/navi's these days so we don't run RCA's off an aftermarket HU like we used to. Other than that it's pretty much the same.

You're right though that a lot of the old guys went away. Fosgate/Precision Power/Soundstream all got bought out. Phoenix Gold is no longer the same company either IIRC. Alpine is still up there as far as electronics, JL etc. Focal/Hertz/Morel are still the high end as they always were for speakers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

^^^yeah....my current car has factory Bose speakers in it.....it's fine for my current role in life as a middle aged dad.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: