Julius Randle ( Eindhoven, happy birthday!) just auditioned for the Dallas Mavericks...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Randle and Clarkson for Noel, Harris and McRoberts.

Dallas is similar to us in they have a ton of cap room. Maybe they do this and resign Randle for 18 per putting them at about 90 mil. Exercise a couple team options and the get

C Powell, Kebler
PF Randle
SF Barnes, DF Smith
SG Matthews, Clarkson
PG: Smith Jr, JJ Barrea

Or then can not resign Randle and chase Cousins.

Not bad either way.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
trablos wrote:
They can have Randal as long as we get to keep Randle.

I actually think Randle can be very good. I'm not sure if he fits into the Lakers' long term plans. At this point, I'm not even sure which way Magic is headed with this... FA will be very interesting this off-season..

Magic saved this franchise once and he will do it again.

As player he did, but he failed as a coach though, and question marks as an exc.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
BizLA wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
trablos wrote:

I actually think Randle can be very good. I'm not sure if he fits into the Lakers' long term plans. At this point, I'm not even sure which way Magic is headed with this... FA will be very interesting this off-season..

As player he did, but he failed as a coach though, and question marks as an exc.

Those 16 games really set the franchise back. Good call.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
BizLA wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
trablos wrote:

The point is that you have to find your fit. That's the point. Now that you have done making fun of me go back and play in traffic.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
BizLA wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
trablos wrote:

The point is that you have to find your fit. That's the point. Now that you have done making fun of me go back and play in traffic.

You can make that point without overdramatizing another. I'm guessing you were too young to remember or were a baby. He took over a team with a losing record and did well to start but it went downhill after he said he wont be coming back to coach the following year. Buss pushed him to coach, it wasn't like he wanted the job or asked for it.
Believe in him, he bleeds purple & gold like no other and will take the franchise back to the top, where it belongs.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
BizLA wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
trablos wrote:

You can make that point without overdramatizing another. I'm guessing you were too young to remember or were a baby. He took over a team with a losing record and did well to start but it went downhill after he said he wont be coming back to coach the following year. Buss pushed him to coach, it wasn't like he wanted the job or asked for it.
Believe in him, he bleeds purple & gold like no other and will take the franchise back to the top, where it belongs.

Won't be easy though because we don't know if we will sign anyone or able to get pass GSW.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
BizLA wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
trablos wrote:

Won't be easy though because we don't know if we will sign anyone or able to get pass GSW.

If what he's doing was easy, you'd be doing it too.
I understand that you like to lay down and waive the white flag before the match started but Magic is a winner and I'm confident he will make this right, GSW or not.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
BizLA wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
trablos wrote:

If what he's doing was easy, you'd be doing it too.
I understand that you like to lay down and waive the white flag before the match started but Magic is a winner and I'm confident he will make this right, GSW or not.

Well it's hard for me to trust people right now after being heartbroken so many times. Hell I don't trust any of the Buss kids to fix this Jeanie included.
I mean after GS got Durant I liberality gave up because I knew we have no chance at beating them, and that same feeling is coming back after what the Houston Astros did today with the Cole coming from Pittsburgh now I don't think the Dodgers will win the world series anytime soon.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject:

samnizam wrote:
scoobs wrote:

And why magic should do that. You (bleep)

You know more than well why Magic would do it or any other trade.
It's named Cap Space.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
BizLA wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
trablos wrote:

Jerry Buss isn’t walking through that door and he was the reason for Laker excellence. He was the reason that Magic was ever a Laker. Now we get stuck with his bumbling offspring.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Anyone else cringe at the sight of a Randle and Clarkson 2-man game?
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

Keep the Beast, dump jc
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
BizLA wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
trablos wrote:

Jerry Buss isn’t walking through that door and he was the reason for Laker excellence. He was the reason that Magic was ever a Laker. Now we get stuck with his bumbling offspring.

Believe it or not, a lot of what happens in life has some element of luck. Jerry Buss probably was a good businessman, no doubt, but Magic Johnson falling into the Lakers lap is kind of lucky...like the Spurs getting Tim Duncan.

Magic Johnson knows a lot about what it takes to win. I trust Magic Johnson and he done nothing to make me distrust him at this point as a basketball mind. I love Kuzma and Hart. I like Lonzo. As we go into this off-season I expect to see some more tough decisions.

Notice how I said I love kuzma and hart and like Lonzo. The reason I said love kuzma and Hart is because those are the type of picks that define the leadership of an executive like Magic Johnson. The people you put around you to help you find gems like that. Guys with potential or just high iq and winning menalities. Thats how you build great products.

For getting Kuzma and Hart alone -- people should be signing Magic's praises. We'll see how Magic handles this off-season. So far so good. I even like the Pope pick up.

I love the Dlo trade...people tend to forget we got rid of cap space and grabbed a good center in Lopez.

Last edited by fusuyballer on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

rogers49 wrote:
samnizam wrote:
scoobs wrote:

It's named Cap Space.

Cap space has been useless the last few off-seasons when you're not a winning team.

if the FO doesn't understand that by now they never will.

The POINT of drafting these kids is so that they'll play up to the level that you have to pay them.

The point of drafting them isn't "well if they become a star we have to trade them so we don't have to pay them like a star cause we're looking to sign other stars we don't have the Bird's rights to."

That makes absolutely no sense whsteoever. Randle's essentially a 20/10 guy that's putting up 17/10 in 27 MPG which no other player in NBA history has accomplished. Whom is also capable of defending all 5 positions.

let's be frank here, if there was a 23 year old player that was in UFA this off-season that could do all that the Lakers WOULD be going after him. But the Lakers already have him and can sign him WITH Bird's Rights. So there's absolutely no reason to not.

Also "cap space" doesn't mean you make stupid moves that all other GMs will laugh at you for, especially when you have no guarantees of even signing ANY max level free agent in the off-season.

If you think "Cap space + we're the Lakers" is all we need, then you haven't been paying attention, and neither has the FO.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
No point in trading JR if hes playing well and we’re winning. Rather have wins than Noel.

This.
With that said I can definitely see Cuban offering Jules a big offer sheet this summer and him blossom even more under a decent coach like Carlisle. Assuming they get a top 5 pick, the Mavs could have a really bright future too.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
samnizam wrote:
scoobs wrote:

It's named Cap Space.

Cap space has been useless the last few off-seasons when you're not a winning team.

if the FO doesn't understand that by now they never will.

The POINT of drafting these kids is so that they'll play up to the level that you have to pay them.

The point of drafting them isn't "well if they become a star we have to trade them so we don't have to pay them like a star cause we're looking to sign other stars we don't have the Bird's rights to."

That makes absolutely no sense whsteoever. Randle's essentially a 20/10 guy that's putting up 17/10 in 27 MPG which no other player in NBA history has accomplished. Whom is also capable of defending all 5 positions.

let's be frank here, if there was a 23 year old player that was in UFA this off-season that could do all that the Lakers WOULD be going after him. But the Lakers already have him and can sign him WITH Bird's Rights. So there's absolutely no reason to not.

Also "cap space" doesn't mean you make stupid moves that all other GMs will laugh at you for, especially when you have no guarantees of even signing ANY max level free agent in the off-season.

If you think "Cap space + we're the Lakers" is all we need, then you haven't been paying attention, and neither has the FO.

I get what you're saying and you're right.
Randle is becoming a really solid NBA big.
Is he perfect? No. Will he ever be? Unlikely.
But does he still have room for growth (and the desire to work at it)? Absolutely.
I agree, it will be sad if we trade him for peanuts in the hope that we will sign 2 max's (and one will be either LBJ or Cousins).
I love the idea of LBJ/PG.
I think we could build a team that competes with anyone with those signings and a few other deft moves.
And if we did sign LBJ, I do see Randle as somewhat redundant, simply because I see LBJ in the Draymond role (and that is where I see Randle fitting too).
But it is so unlikely that that plan will bear fruit. I hope it does. I hope we have a promise from LBJ/PG, but I doubt that we do.
And letting a really solid young NBA big walk for next to nothing in the hope that a dream comes true is just bad business.
If LBJ/PG are coming, then certainly, you do what you need to do to make that happen. It's just a longshot at best.
A very solid plan would be to add PG, then a rim protector like Noel/Dedmon, resign JR as the flex big, enhance the bench and keep growing.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

I do wonder who they will have that can play any interior defense if and when they trade Randle.

Brook Lopez doesn't exactly inspire confidence as far as guarding bigs.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

Oof.

If we need to let Randle go to sign two max's next summer ok. It'll hurt me, but okay.

Let him walk then. Don't trade him now for a dump or crap players or late first rounders.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
Oof.

If we need to let Randle go to sign two max's next summer ok. It'll hurt me, but okay.

Let him walk then. Don't trade him now for a dump or crap players or late first rounders.

Yes, it would be wise to keep Randle on the team this season and keep his rights (via his cap hold) before we do anything. (And keep developing him).
If the LBJ/PG dream comes true, fine, we can always simply release his rights and get the 12.4 mil in cap space that we need.
If we don't get the 2 max's, we can retain him via his RFA rights.

I erroneously believed that if we traded for Noel this season, we obtained his Bird rights and could then sign him above the cap via those rights, but it has been pointed out in another thread that that is not true. We don't get Noel's Bird rights if we trade for him now.
So best to keep Randle, keep his rights, and we can always pursue Noel (or anybody else) as a FA with cap space.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, but my birthday is in September.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
No point in trading JR if hes playing well and we’re winning. Rather have wins than Noel.

This.
With that said I can definitely see Cuban offering Jules a big offer sheet this summer and him blossom even more under a decent coach like Carlisle. Assuming they get a top 5 pick, the Mavs could have a really bright future too.

I agree.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
Oof.

Late 1st rounders are a nice piece to have in case we need to do a sign-and-trade.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:
Anyone else cringe at the sight of a Randle and Clarkson 2-man game?

We see it a lot. When they're on the court together, they look for each other almost exclusively. It really feels that they formed an alliance when they were both upset about their minutes and roles.

Even if they are motivated by selfish reasons, when they play well it obviously does help the team. But when their shots aren't falling, they look disastrous.

I thought Randle was at his best earlier in the season when he was finally doing the dirty work on defense and offense that people have been asking him to do for years because he wanted to earn more minutes. Now that he has his starters role back, it seems like he's just back to filling his own stat sheet.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
Jerry Buss probably was a good businessman, no doubt, but Magic Johnson falling into the Lakers lap is kind of lucky...like the Spurs getting Tim Duncan.

You need to read up on your Lakers history. Those two situations could not have been more opposite.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
fusuyballer wrote:
Jerry Buss probably was a good businessman, no doubt, but Magic Johnson falling into the Lakers lap is kind of lucky...like the Spurs getting Tim Duncan.

You need to read up on your Lakers history. Those two situations could not have been more opposite.

Au contraire.

Lakers got Magic due to a coin flip (literally). Had the Bulls won the coin flip, Magic would've stayed in college. Magic was the no-brainer, hands don, consensus #1 pick that year.

The meme that Dr. Buss insisted on drafting Magic over the objection of Jerry West is apocryphal at best and PR spin at worst because:

1 - Bill Sharman (not West) was the Lakers GM and (as has been documented in writing) pretty much decided that Magic would be LA's pick after the NCAA Finals.

2 - West (scout) & Chick Hearn (Asst. GM) (as has been documented in writing) were not advocating for Moncrief over Magic, they just wanted to make sure that the team did its due diligence by working out Moncrief before making a final decision.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-05/sports/sp-83_1_lakers

Quote:
On the 13th floor of their Michigan Avenue office building, the Bulls were represented that 1979 day by Thorn and managing partner Jon Kovler, who owned the team with a mostly absentee group that included George Steinbrenner and Lamar Hunt. A poll of Chicago's fans conducted by the team resulted in a slight consensus that when the coin was flipped, the Bulls call heads.

Thorn wanted to call tails.

On the speaker phone from New York, Commissioner Lawrence O'Brien asked if either team cared to make the call. If both did, O'Brien would have to flip a coin to see who would call the coin flip.

Since Chicago's fans had been heard from, Thorn asked, could he make the call?

Chick Hearn, representing the Lakers on the phone, said that was OK with L.A.

"OK, gentlemen, here we go," boomed the deep voice of O'Brien. "The coin's in the air . . . "

How the Lakers heard first, the Bulls weren't sure, but the next sound they heard was cheering from L.A. Thorn's chest sagged and his head nearly hit the desk.

Johnny (Red) Kerr, broadcaster and former coach of the Bulls, recalled losing a coin flip with Milwaukee for the rights to draft Abdul-Jabbar (UCLA's Lew Alcindor) back when Kerr was coaching Phoenix. The Suns, too, had polled their fans.

"The moral of the story," Kerr told Thorn, "is if you listen to the fans, you end up sitting next to them."

The Bulls believe they could have persuaded Johnson to play for them. But then, they never would have had Jordan.
Nice little irony there.

"How about if I end up owning the Bulls?" Magic asked. "Now there would be the ultimate irony."

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: