The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Feeling like a strange movie night?

Check out Aniara on Hulu, I Lost My Body on Netflix, and/or The Plague Dogs on Criterion.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto on shooting The Irishman: https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/1200850352691499008
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
^^^have a question for you that I was thinking about related to The Irishman. As you probably know since the movie was announced there have been a few voices strongly come out and claim this version of what happened to Hoffa being completely inaccurate. How much responsibility do you think the film industry has to ensure the story and timeline they present in movies based on non-fiction events is accurate. Probably most people in this thread or on LG is fairly familiar with the Jimmy Hoffa story and myths over the last few decades about his disappearance, but I will guess the majority of the people that view this movie will accept it as close to fact. I know similar discussions have been had forever as I can recall some debate over Oliver Stone's JFK movie, war movies, etc., but what are your thoughts? Does the studio have an obligation to strongly believe the story they are telling is accurate?

I watched the movie a second time with family last night and only my dad made it to the end with me. He loved it and made what I thought was a great observation: basically, the whole movie in its structure and details feels like a guy telling a rambling story (I'd add "old guy" telling a rambling story).

So the structure of the plot/pace, everything being from Sheeran's narrow perspective, and given that Frank Sheeran is somehow a sociopathic Forrest Gump who keeps popping up in key historical events of the '60s and '70s are subtle indicators that the whole shaggy dog story maybe shouldn't be trusted. This guy may not have killed Hoffa because he's kind of an unreliable narrator even as the movie follows his story beat by beat. But he may have killed Hoffa - we'll probably never know.

Now it's somewhat subtle and a lot of people won't get that the whole movie is from the perspective of an old dude who could be telling tall tales - a lot of people still think Jordan Belfort was lionized in WoWS - but I don't think it's a responsibility for the industry and especially for artists to reduce ambiguity for lazy or less well-read moviegoers. And Scorsese is the kind of director whose grounded, well-structured, accessible films can help improve movie literacy, anyway, by burrowing us into the lives and minds of morally broken men who are protagonists, but not heroes.

thanks for the solid response. My 2 cents on the entertainment of the movie...I was somewhat disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high. The cast was excellent....very impressive what they were able to do with Anna Paquin, Domenick Lombardozzi and others as far as aging them without simply looking like a well done Halloween costume.

I was always interested in the Hoffa story....grew up in a union family, and my parents lived in Detroit (before I was born) when Hoffa went missing....so the story was discussed once in a while when I was growing up. Also, when I was young, I loved the Jack Nicholson movie.

Just watched it last night on Netflix (love that by the way, I hope more movies go this route)

I liked it overall but thought it was too long and could have been edited better. It pales in comparison to Goodfellas in my opinion, but still a very worthy effort and a wonderful reprieve from movies about superheros and comic books.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

I don’t think a movie or a novel, even if based on true people or events, has any obligation to accuracy beyond that which helps it tell its story. If it’s a documentary that’s a different thing entirely. JFK is a gray area because it is technically presented as not a documentary but it was a propaganda piece for a debunked theory and filled with a lot of things stone knew to be untrue. He has that right, but that’s going to draw more legit criticism than a movie that isn’t trying to do that. And fwiw, the biopic Hoffa was not accurate in many areas. Artistic license.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I don’t think a movie or a novel, even if based on true people or events, has any obligation to accuracy beyond that which helps it tell its story. If it’s a documentary that’s a different thing entirely. JFK is a gray area because it is technically presented as not a documentary but it was a propaganda piece for a debunked theory and filled with a lot of things stone knew to be untrue. He has that right, but that’s going to draw more legit criticism than a movie that isn’t trying to do that. And fwiw, the biopic Hoffa was not accurate in many areas. Artistic license.

Exactly this. And Scorsese is aiming for almost pure subjectivity in The Irishman, anyway.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Love a good homosocial love triangle between two sociopaths and a narcissist that makes me feel the weight of a long life wasted. Who needs family when you can share an intinction with the boss who contracts you out to kill your only friend in the world? That's cinema.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

Wheelchair Russ Buffalino >>>> Baby Yoda

"That's the good grape juice."
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

18. American Psycho (Mary Harron, 2000)

I was getting pissed at Desperately Seeking Susan on the list and I wasn't seeing AP. Then I saw it. The relief washed over me in an awesome wave.

Smithereens is a much better movie than DSS, anyway.

Good to see American Psycho regarded so highly, but it is curious that our Nazi friend Leni needed two movies on there. Bold, tbh.

There's probably a bigger push these days to cancel/confront art that was made by someone with a questionable history. There was an opinion piece in the NYT a week ago about whether museums/people should cancel or de-lionize Paul Gauguin's work/name because he had sex with teenaged girls in French Polynesia and had a period-common racist attitude about them as "savage".
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I was getting pissed at Desperately Seeking Susan on the list and I wasn't seeing AP. Then I saw it. The relief washed over me in an awesome wave.

Good to see American Psycho regarded so highly, but it is curious that our Nazi friend Leni needed two movies on there. Bold, tbh.

There's probably a bigger push these days to cancel/confront art that was made by someone with a questionable history. There was an opinion piece in the NYT a week ago about whether museums/people should cancel or de-lionize Paul Gauguin's work/name because he had sex with teenaged girls in French Polynesia and had a period-common racist attitude about them as "savage".

Once they're dead, I say it's all good. If people want to contextualize Gaugin's exoticization and child molestation with an info card at the start of an exhibition, I'm all for it, but I don't see the need to sanitize the past for the present nor to toss great work into the dustbin of history because the artist was a horrible person. Most people are horrible and have little to no talent to boot.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

John Waters' Top 10 of 2019:

1. Climax
2. Joan of Arc
3. Once Upon A Time...in Hollywood
4. Border
5. Amazing Grace
6. Hail Satan?
7. Pain and Glory
8. The Golden Glove
9. The Souvenir
10. Joker

link

Nine out of ten ain't bad.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm more excited to see Richard Jewell than the new Star Wars. (bleep) you, Disney.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Once they're dead, I say it's all good. If people want to contextualize Gaugin's exoticization and child molestation with an info card at the start of an exhibition, I'm all for it, but I don't see the need to sanitize the past for the present nor to toss great work into the dustbin of history because the artist was a horrible person. Most people are horrible and have little to no talent to boot.

In the vein of Leni, take young, struggling Adolf Hitler... If that art school had just let him in, all of history changes. Alas, humanity suffered because he was mediocre. He was no Paul Gauguin. His most artistic feature was his acting ability during his orations. There's been people who have wanted Mein Kampf to forever be barred from further printings, but he is the most IN-famous and scrutinized individual in modern times. It's impossible to pretend that anything about him no longer exists. Every tiny nuance about him and his life is historically vital, no matter how evil he was. It's more because he was evil that his personal history details are vital.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NPZ wrote
Just saw Irishman twice on comp and telly

I have a solid grasp of past US monies. This is the coin in their rings. $3 piece, called the Indian Princess design. 1854-1889. There were also $2.5 pieces and a proposed $4 coin called the Stella which never made it to large scale production. They also had a 3 cent nickel which was the first true nickel we had, not the 5 cent. At same time there was a 3 cent silver piece. Go figure. They thought 3 cent pieces made it easier to buy 3 cent stamps.

https://tinyurl.com/s3pjdo6
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Quote:
NPZ wrote
Just saw Irishman twice on comp and telly

I have a solid grasp of past US monies. This is the coin in their rings. $3 piece, called the Indian Princess design. 1854-1889. There were also $2.5 pieces and a proposed $4 coin called the Stella which never made it to large scale production. They also had a 3 cent nickel which was the first true nickel we had, not the 5 cent. At same time there was a 3 cent silver piece. Go figure. They thought 3 cent pieces made it easier to buy 3 cent stamps.

https://tinyurl.com/s3pjdo6

That's fascinating. Thank you for that tidbit. Very keen eye, npz.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

For those who are fans of Ford v. Ferrari, check out the documentary Senna (2010) on Netflix about Brazilian race car driver Ayrton Senna.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

For those who are fans of Ford v. Ferrari, check out the documentary Senna (2010) on Netflix about Brazilian race car driver Ayrton Senna.

I concur. I haven't seen Ford v. Ferrari yet, but, I agree that both Senna and Amy (about the life of Amy Winehouse) from director Asif Kapadia are quite compelling.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, "Senna" is top notch. As I said in the thread for "FvF", there's a really good documentary that covers the historical details of the story called "The 24 Hour War" on Netflix. It's Directed by Adam Carolla, whose "Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman" is also very good.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, "Senna" is top notch. As I said in the thread for "FvF", there's a really good documentary that covers the historical details of the story called "The 24 Hour War" on Netflix. It's Directed by Adam Carolla, whose "Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman" is also very good.

Right on, added to the queue. Thank you. What a fascinating moment in time, and I knew squat all it happened before FvF. Danke.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

I concur. I haven't seen Ford v. Ferrari yet, but, I agree that both Senna and Amy (about the life of Amy Winehouse) from director Asif Kapadia are quite compelling.

He also did Amy?! He's one of the best documentarians of the decade. Both are near great films.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Ethan Hawke's directorial debut Blaze (2018) has its flaws, but what a lovely music biopic of a local legend who never made it big, and an interesting counterpoint to Cooper's version of A Star is Born.

It's a movie that gets drunkenness and the élan of performance and young love well.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject:

I forgot to include Peterloo on my best of 2019 list because I thought it was a 2018 movie. But apparently Amazon bought it last year and didn't do anything with it except quietly release it on Prime earlier this year. It would be in my top 10 of 2019 so far - not '90s Mike Leigh good, but close.

Check out Peterloo on Prime.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

just saw Train to Busan (Netflix Korean zombie movie), pretty good. Same exact concept as World War Z but done differently
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

A wonderful interview with editor Thelma Schoonmaker on The Irishman: CineMontage.

It's worth your time, I guarantee it.

ETA: I hope Thelma wins her fourth Oscar for this movie, but after seeing the monstrosity that won for Best Editing last year, I don't know if the Academy voters know what editors do any more than the general public who thinks Scorsese's recent movies "should be shorter."
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
ETA: I hope Thelma wins her fourth Oscar for this movie, but after seeing the monstrosity that won for Best Editing last year, I don't know if the Academy voters know what editors do any more than the general public who thinks Scorsese's recent movies "should be shorter."

Speaking as an Editor, most people don’t really know what we do and we are almost never given credit for it.

Its hard to get worked up over the Oscars. They consistently celebrate the mediocre and the times they don’t are few and far between. This is a voting body that determined that the high watermark in cinematic achievement last year was Green Book. Who even remembers that they did or cared at the time? Will it even matter for historical purposes? Will anyone ever watch or think about Green Book again? It’s better to view the Oscars for what they are: a tv show people watch so they can see celebrity outfits that sometimes allows a movie that would otherwise go unseen get some attention.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Speaking as an Editor, most people don’t really know what we do and we are almost never given credit for it.

Its hard to get worked up over the Oscars. They consistently celebrate the mediocre and the times they don’t are few and far between. This is a voting body that determined that the high watermark in cinematic achievement last year was Green Book. Who even remembers that they did or cared at the time? Will it even matter for historical purposes? Will anyone ever watch or think about Green Book again? It’s better to view the Oscars for what they are: a tv show people watch so they can see celebrity outfits that sometimes allows a movie that would otherwise go unseen get some attention.

The Bohemian Rhapsody editing Oscar almost made me wish they had banned the award to the non-televised technical awards ceremony.

I've seen eight of fourteen Hong Sang-soo movies made this decade (with two more coming soon). I've now watched three Lav Diaz movies from the 2010s each running somewhere between four and eight hours. I've seen so much schlock, so many sequels, prestige dramas, and (sadly) 22 MCU movies over the past decade - 900+ movies and counting - and I still haven't seen half of the Best Picture nominees from the 2010s, apparently all of which star Eddie Redmayne.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 41 of 189
Jump to: