View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
If Beale Street Could Talk... is now streaming on Hulu, Cold War is available on Amazon Prime, and Burning will hit Netflix next month.

Oh, and the Criterion Channel starts operations on 4/8. It's a good spring for cinejunkies.

How is Beale Street?

It's s a gorgeously shot and scored movie with some of the best performances of last year, but the nonlinear narrative, longer set pieces, and shifting character perspectives could be a challenging watch. I think it's lusciously melodramatic and important filmmaking, and I look forward to rewatching it several times in the future.

Caveat emptor: I seem to have somewhat esoteric taste in movies.

The only thing that left me puzzled with Beale Street is how on Earth did Regina King win an Oscar. The score is sublime and you can almost touch the love the two lead characters have for each other.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
If Beale Street Could Talk... is now streaming on Hulu, Cold War is available on Amazon Prime, and Burning will hit Netflix next month.

Oh, and the Criterion Channel starts operations on 4/8. It's a good spring for cinejunkies.

How is Beale Street?

It's s a gorgeously shot and scored movie with some of the best performances of last year, but the nonlinear narrative, longer set pieces, and shifting character perspectives could be a challenging watch. I think it's lusciously melodramatic and important filmmaking, and I look forward to rewatching it several times in the future.

Caveat emptor: I seem to have somewhat esoteric taste in movies.

The only thing that left me puzzled with Beale Street is how on Earth did Regina King win an Oscar. The score is sublime and you can almost touch the love the two lead characters have for each other.

I liked the performance because she was tasked with trying to find a balance between theatricality (coming from Baldwin) and naturalism. I thought she pulled it off, but I can see how you and other folks found her attempt wanting.

The real acting snub there was Brian Tyree Henry not getting at least a Best Supporting Actor nomination over Rockwell's caricature of Bush. I think they're both on screen for a roughly similar short period of time, but BTH was doing so much heavy lifting for Beale Street while Rockwell got to be a punchline.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
1st reaction to Dragged Across Concrete: holy hell, watch Dragged Across Concrete!

It is racist, misogynistic, violent and bleak, but also one of the most unique reimaginings of 1970s pulp cop dramas I have ever seen. It's also blithely funny and darkly sardonic.

It feels like something we'll be revisiting regularly for the next 20-30 years and beyond even if it never makes any "best of" lists. It's S. Craig Zahler's Heat.

I was just considering renting that on demand yesterday but wanted to see Vice first. I'll check it out, let you know what up.

Sweet! Also, interested in your thoughts on Vice after you watch it.

I liked Vice in the same way I liked the Frontline doc on the corrupt and incompetent nature of the W Admin visavis the Iraq War. It was preaching to the choir from the get-go. However, I had to watch it in 3 installments, it was a lot to process for something that I thought was gonna be a pure entertainment vehicle going in. Sam Rockwell's Dubya voice was wow. Made me laugh it was so keen. His chicken drumstick eating scene was more believable than the one in Green Book (blech, saw that'n too).

Bale was commendable as always, Amy Adams is in everything. She's becoming Amy Streep. Getting tired of the whiny tinge to her voice. I get that it was an extremely stylized and artsy flick, but it felt like an avalanche of the clever artsy stuff about 3/4ths in. For example, the fake ending with the credits rolling up, etc. The Frontrunner re: Gary Hart had none of that stuff and it was both entertaining and more to the point of a history/period piece. Vice tried to have its cake as a zany, comedic, stylized take on history and eat it too, with a serious voice at the end and even the self-realization that it had a liberal slant. Felt like a movie version of a Michael Moore joint.

The Bale soliloquy at the end seemed to me to be a blatant attempt to recreate Pat Bateman's soliloquy at the end of AP. That left me with bitter beer face although Cheney's "you chose me" to Us, the public was a sharp line -- we chose a scoundrel and we got a scoundrel ("The public deserves the politicians they get.") I like Carell, but I wasn't a fan of him as Rumsfeld. The movie's Rumsfeld wasn't anywhere close to the political operator Donald was. I think that might've been because they wanted to condense him down to an idiot with a few good quips in order to focus more on Cheney. Even Dubya was scaled down to a relatively minor character. Carell as Rummy seemed like they just wanted him in the film no matter what. It wasn't like Foxcatcher where he fit the role. One thing that made me chuckle was the actress they found for Condy Rice. She looked like her slightly older biological sister.

I still liked it more than that all may sound, I like to nitpick.

Btw, after watching Green Book, The Shape Of Water suddenly looks a lot better. Utter tripe. You're better than this, Viggo.

All great nits to pick and I agree with most of them. I admire the heck out of McKay trying to confront the ongoing legacy of a living monster who also happens to be a crusty, curmudgeonly, rank-and-file GOP crony factotum. Yet his struggle with the central character clearly comes through as he's throwing everything at the wall to try to keep it entertaining and to get to the heart of a heartless bore (see what I did there?) and a lot of it doesn't work. Iappreciate it as a valiant, messy attempt, but I don't think I'll be revisiting it in the near future.

Also, sounds like I should check out The Frontrunner.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

ALERT!!!

The Criterion Channel is now live! I repeat: The Criterion Channel is now live. This is not a drill people.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
1st reaction to Dragged Across Concrete: holy hell, watch Dragged Across Concrete!

It is racist, misogynistic, violent and bleak, but also one of the most unique reimaginings of 1970s pulp cop dramas I have ever seen. It's also blithely funny and darkly sardonic.

It feels like something we'll be revisiting regularly for the next 20-30 years and beyond even if it never makes any "best of" lists. It's S. Craig Zahler's Heat.

I was just considering renting that on demand yesterday but wanted to see Vice first. I'll check it out, let you know what up.

Sweet! Also, interested in your thoughts on Vice after you watch it.

I liked Vice in the same way I liked the Frontline doc on the corrupt and incompetent nature of the W Admin visavis the Iraq War. It was preaching to the choir from the get-go. However, I had to watch it in 3 installments, it was a lot to process for something that I thought was gonna be a pure entertainment vehicle going in. Sam Rockwell's Dubya voice was wow. Made me laugh it was so keen. His chicken drumstick eating scene was more believable than the one in Green Book (blech, saw that'n too).

Bale was commendable as always, Amy Adams is in everything. She's becoming Amy Streep. Getting tired of the whiny tinge to her voice. I get that it was an extremely stylized and artsy flick, but it felt like an avalanche of the clever artsy stuff about 3/4ths in. For example, the fake ending with the credits rolling up, etc. The Frontrunner re: Gary Hart had none of that stuff and it was both entertaining and more to the point of a history/period piece. Vice tried to have its cake as a zany, comedic, stylized take on history and eat it too, with a serious voice at the end and even the self-realization that it had a liberal slant. Felt like a movie version of a Michael Moore joint.

The Bale soliloquy at the end seemed to me to be a blatant attempt to recreate Pat Bateman's soliloquy at the end of AP. That left me with bitter beer face although Cheney's "you chose me" to Us, the public was a sharp line -- we chose a scoundrel and we got a scoundrel ("The public deserves the politicians they get.") I like Carell, but I wasn't a fan of him as Rumsfeld. The movie's Rumsfeld wasn't anywhere close to the political operator Donald was. I think that might've been because they wanted to condense him down to an idiot with a few good quips in order to focus more on Cheney. Even Dubya was scaled down to a relatively minor character. Carell as Rummy seemed like they just wanted him in the film no matter what. It wasn't like Foxcatcher where he fit the role. One thing that made me chuckle was the actress they found for Condy Rice. She looked like her slightly older biological sister.

I still liked it more than that all may sound, I like to nitpick.

Btw, after watching Green Book, The Shape Of Water suddenly looks a lot better. Utter tripe. You're better than this, Viggo.

All great nits to pick and I agree with most of them. I admire the heck out of McKay trying to confront the ongoing legacy of a living monster who also happens to be a crusty, curmudgeonly, rank-and-file GOP crony factotum. Yet his struggle with the central character clearly comes through as he's throwing everything at the wall to try to keep it entertaining and to get to the heart of a heartless bore (see what I did there?) and a lot of it doesn't work. Iappreciate it as a valiant, messy attempt, but I don't think I'll be revisiting it in the near future.

Also, sounds like I should check out The Frontrunner.

I find W and Cheney to be fascinating.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

^ The master/slave dialectic?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

ALERT!!!

The Criterion Channel is now live! I repeat: The Criterion Channel is now live. This is not a drill people.

When the Criterion hits:

ONIBABA
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject:

Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stoppin' is my pick for best comedy of the 2010s. Look at this gem that didn't even make the final cut: https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1115466664408113152

What's your pick for best comedy of the 2010s?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject:

The Nice Guys. Not a straight up comedy, but it has enough comedic elements and singular wet-your-pants-from-laughter sequences to qualify. Ryan Gosling is hilarious in it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject:

Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stoppin' is my pick for best comedy of the 2010s. Look at this gem that didn't even make the final cut: https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1115466664408113152

I think Deadpool has to be up there. That counts, right?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Definitely counts. So many different types of comedy it makes it hard to choose one. Horrible Bosses is hilarious but so are Seven Psychopaths and Grand Budapest Hotel in different ways.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

"Frances Ha" is my pick for best comedy of the 2010s and it is one of the best movies of the 2010s as well.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
"Frances Ha" is my pick for best comedy of the 2010s and it is one of the best movies of the 2010s as well.

It's a movie I am primed to see and that I haven't yet because Squid and the Whale turned me off of Noah Baumbach. This will happen this weekend and I expect this will be a great suggestion.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
The Nice Guys. Not a straight up comedy, but it has enough comedic elements and singular wet-your-pants-from-laughter sequences to qualify. Ryan Gosling is hilarious in it.

Definitely a comedy and a worthy entry. What do you think of McKay's Other Guys as a satiric commentary on buddy cop flicks?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I loved Deadpool on a first viewing, but some of the jokes got more stale on subsequent watches. I think being the first raunch comedy super hero flick definitely counts in its favor.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

What do folks think of Edgar Wright's Cornetto Trilogy final installment The World's End as a best comedy of the 2010s candidate?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject:

What do folks think of Edgar Wright's Cornetto Trilogy final installment The World's End as a best comedy of the 2010s candidate?

I think it was good but, to me, I'm always gonna measure it against Shawn of the Dead which was so much funnier. It was a good movie but I remember it more for its serious moments.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

"Just jacked it.."
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

Definitely a comedy and a worthy entry. What do you think of McKay's Other Guys as a satiric commentary on buddy cop flicks?

I liked The Other Guys, although I watched it when I was a bit younger and didn't catch a lot of its self awareness. Definitely great chemistry between Marky Mark and Will Ferrell.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject:

Just saw Us tonight. Although I was correct in what I thought the twist would be from very early on in the film (I thought it was kind of obvious), I was still entertained and it kept my attention. I can't say it was as good as Get Out, but it was well worth my time.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

I think of it as more of an unintentional satire of satire.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

I think of it as more of an unintentional satire of satire.

McKay seems pretty savvy. Your comment seems more applicable to Vice, imo.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

It's a movie I am primed to see and that I haven't yet because Squid and the Whale turned me off of Noah Baumbach. This will happen this weekend and I expect this will be a great suggestion.

Still haven't watched it. Is it possible to do a Frances Ha/Meyerwitz Stories marathon in one evening? So much Baumbach...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I think it was good but, to me, I'm always gonna measure it against Shawn of the Dead which was so much funnier. It was a good movie but I remember it more for its serious moments.

It is more drama with comedic touches, isn't it? A lot of the best 00s comic actors/directors started getting serious this decade, though I guess that transition happens quite often.

The Tina Fey/Amy Poehler flicks haven't fully hit for me, but I appreciate that they're still trying to do straight up comedies through big studios.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:

ALERT!!!

When the Criterion hits:

ONIBABA

A great, rare-ish 11-film noir collection this month from Columbia Pictures shot during the 40s and 50s. I have a lot left to watch, but if you like classic B&W noir flicks, My Name is Julia Ross, The Big Heat, and Nightfall are great!

ETA: Nightfall stars a young Anne Bancroft who I had only seen in her later roles. Good lord she's one of the most beautiful women to have lived. And she acts her way around bland midwest everyman Aldo Ray in every way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 16 of 189
Jump to: