The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject:

PSA: For those interested in the "Best of '10s" list above, here are some streaming options if you're interested (not comprehensive and subject to change):

01. Mad Max: Fury Road (53 votes)
02. The Tree of Life (42 votes)
03. Moonlight (37 votes) - Amazon Prime (hereafter Amazon)
04. Boyhood (31 votes) - Netflix
05. The Social Network (30 votes)
06. The Master (28 votes)
07. Roma (26 votes) - Netflix
08. Phantom Thread (25 votes) - HBO
09. A Separation (22 votes) - Netflix
10. Inside Llewyn Davis (21 votes) - Amazon
10. Get Out (21 votes)
12. Under the Skin (18 votes) - Netflix
12. Carol (18 votes) - Netflix
14. Margaret (17 votes)
14. Toni Erdmann (17 votes)
16. Uncle Boonmee (16 votes)
17. Twin Peaks: The Return (15 votes) - Showtime
18. Her (14 votes) - Netflix
18. Call Me By Your Name (14 votes) - Starz
20. The Act of Killing (13 votes)
20. Inception (13 votes)
20. Holy Motors (13 votes) - Tubi
23. La La Land (11 votes)
23. 12 Years A Slave (11 votes)
25. Certified Copy (10 votes) - Hulu/Criterion Channel
26. The Florida Project (9 votes) - Amazon
26. Amour (9 votes)
28. Ida (8 votes)
29. The Wolf of Wall Street (7 votes)
29. Once Upon A Time In Anatolia (7 votes)
29. No Home Movie (7 votes)
29. Dunkirk (7 votes)
29. Zama (7 votes) - Amazon
29. Melancholia (7 votes) - Hulu
35. Phoenix (6 votes)
35. Inherent Vice (6 votes)
35. Inside Out (6 votes)
35. Blue is the Warmest Color (6 votes) - Netflix
35. Timbuktu (6 votes)
35. Silence (6 votes) - Amazon
41. Son of Saul (5 votes)
41. Faces Places (5 votes) - Netflix
41. Drive (5 votes)
41. The Assassin (5 votes)
41. The Turin Horse (5 votes)
41. The Rider (5 votes) - Starz
41. Manchester by the Sea (5 votes) - Amazon
41. It’s Such A Beautiful Day (5 votes)
41. Only Lovers Left Alive (5 votes)
41. Leviathan (5 votes)
41. First Reformed (5 votes)
41. Toy Story 3 (5 votes)
53. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (5 votes) - Netflix
53. The Grand Budapest Hotel (5 votes)
53. Sorry to Bother You (5 votes) - Hulu
53. The Clouds of Sils Maria (5 votes) - Netflix
53. The Great Beauty (5 votes) - Criterion Channel
58. Burning (4 votes) - Netflix
58. Bridesmaids (4 votes)
58. Beasts of the Southern Wild (4 votes)
58. A Ghost Story (4 votes) - Amazon
58. Gravity (4 votes)
58. The Immigrant (4 votes) - Netflix
58. Mysteries of Lisbon (4 votes)
58. Stories We Tell (4 votes) - Netflix
58. The Lobster (4 votes) - Amazon
58. Whiplash (4 votes)
58. The Other Side of the Wind (4 votes) - Netflix
69. Foxtrot (3 votes)
69. The Look of Silence (3 votes)
69. American Honey (3 votes) - Amazon/Netflix
69. Personal Shopper (3 votes) - Netflix
69. Frances Ha (3 votes) - Netflix/Criterion Channel
69. Take Shelter (3 votes) - Tubi
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
This seems early, but we'll be getting a lot of critics' "Best of '10s" movie lists over the next several months (being quite rude to 2019 releases) so here's the first - a top-75 list - from a compendium of critics:

Top 10:

03. Moonlight (37 votes)
04. Boyhood (31 votes)
07. Roma (26 votes)
08. Phantom Thread (25 votes)
09. A Separation (22 votes)
10. Inside Llewyn Davis (21 votes)

The full list: Link

Boyhood? Oh, no. No, no, no.

Give it to me, Stu! I need the Boyhood backlash hot takes!

It's not that it was a bad movie. The concept was very unique, and Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke were outstanding. But anytime your lead actor is a really bad actor, it simply mars the entire viewing experience. As a boy, he was OK. As soon as that kid hit adolescence, it's like he couldn't act anymore. For me it was hard to get past that.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Phantom thread. Now there’s a bad movie. And DDL at his absolute peak of overrated dreck.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Phantom thread. Now there’s a bad movie. And DDL at his absolute peak of overrated dreck.

You're cancelled, Omar. Phantom Thread is romantic genius. But let's have it out on LG.com over PTA's Phantom Thread.

Hit me.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
This seems early, but we'll be getting a lot of critics' "Best of '10s" movie lists over the next several months (being quite rude to 2019 releases) so here's the first - a top-75 list - from a compendium of critics:

Top 10:

03. Moonlight (37 votes)
04. Boyhood (31 votes)
07. Roma (26 votes)
08. Phantom Thread (25 votes)
09. A Separation (22 votes)
10. Inside Llewyn Davis (21 votes)

The full list: Link

Boyhood? Oh, no. No, no, no.

Give it to me, Stu! I need the Boyhood backlash hot takes!

It's not that it was a bad movie. The concept was very unique, and Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke were outstanding. But anytime your lead actor is a really bad actor, it simply mars the entire viewing experience. As a boy, he was OK. As soon as that kid hit adolescence, it's like he couldn't act anymore. For me it was hard to get past that.

I feel you. I thought by the very end he grew up into it, but the middle could be seen as a mess acting wise. I think it's being celebrated as a formal achievement more than an artistic achievement, though it's still quite good artistically, imo.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Wed May 01, 2019 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

You're cancelled, Omar. Phantom Thread is romantic genius. But let's have it out on LG.com over PTA's Phantom Thread.

Hit me.

I'm more partial to PTAs earlier work. He made a hard right turn stylistically shortly after Punch Drunk Love. Can't say his newer stuff is my cup of tea.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Hit me.

I'm more partial to PTAs earlier work. He made a hard right turn stylistically shortly after Punch Drunk Love. Can't say his newer stuff is my cup of tea.

What didn't you like about There Will Be Blood?
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

"Phantom Thread" and "The Florida Project" were the two best films of 2017 in my opinion.

As to that master list, if "Twin Peaks - The Return" actually counts as a "movie" then it's probably the best. Still, it seems unfair to the other movies to be considered with 18 hours of the genius that is Lynch.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Hit me.

A bit slow and dull, although I much prefer it to the subsequent releases. Also, I'm not a big Paul Dano fan.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Hit me.

A bit slow and dull, although I much prefer it to the subsequent releases. Also, I'm not a big Paul Dano fan.

No one likes Paul Dano, that's true.

If Blood seems slow and dull to you, most of the movies on the list above will put you to sleep.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
"Phantom Thread" and "The Florida Project" were the two best films of 2017 in my opinion.

As to that master list, if "Twin Peaks - The Return" actually counts as a "movie" then it's probably the best. Still, it seems unfair to the other movies to be considered with 18 hours of the genius that is Lynch.

Twin Peaks is clearly a television show and should be ineligible, imo. So it's a top-74 list.

Everything else (that I've seen - 60 out of the 74) seems justifiable even if I would include at least one Tarantino and more Asian flicks.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Hit me.

If Blood seems slow and dull to you, most of the movies on the list above will put you to sleep.

Not a bad list, although I would tinker with the order a bit.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject:

I watched "You Were Never Really There". Good movie. Reminded me of David Mammet's "Spartan", which I really liked.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Miguel Gomes' Arabian Nights, Vol 1: "my kidneys hurt with such a donkey-sized boner"
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

As noted above, Lee Chang-dong's Burning is now streaming on Netflix. It's a simmering, twisty blend of genres that makes a handful of surprising tonal shifts before reaching its target. The movie is quietly angry as hell and requires a patient watch, but Lee is a master storyteller and I think his film rewards the time you can give it.

Burning still holds its spot at the top of my 2018 movies list and was one of only 2-3 2018 films to make the critics "Best of Decade" list above (it likely will make my informal list, as well). My favorite movies by Lee, though, may still be his trilogy of slice-of-life melodramas, Oasis (2002), Secret Sunshine (2007), and Poetry (2011) about a handicapped woman finding love, a single mother navigating loss, and an older woman finding her creative voice, respectively. All three can feel like shaggy dog tales at first, but Lee and his actors create lived-in, memorable characters out of everyday women and men beset by personal, familial, and social challenges. In all three movies Lee remains interested in hypocrisy and power - especially the power wielded by less than capable, less than self-aware men over women - and his loose narratives gradually, meticulously build to reveal painful unspoken truths that have managed to (bleep) me up emotionally with every viewing. That Lee can use familiar narrative conventions that you'd find in a Cameron Crowe or John Hughes movie and then make those tropes new and alive while scathingly interrogating society is a rare talent in filmmaking these days. Lee - a former novelist turned director in his 40s - has done it over and over again over the past 20 years while his visual talents continue to get better and better, marking him as one of the most interesting and underrated directors alive, imo.

Caveat emptor: all three movies take their good, sweet time, all three deal with tragedy in the lives of normal people, and all three can be gut punches if they hit you just right.

Availability:

Oasis - Amazon Prime (it's unfortunately a bad DVD rip) and something called AsianCrush; not on Blu-Ray and the DVD is out of print
Secret Sunshine - Criterion Channel
Poetry - sadly not streaming on any subscription service, but it's available for rent at all the usual locations and for purchase on Blu-Ray.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sun May 05, 2019 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Hit me.

Not a bad list, although I would tinker with the order a bit.

Agreed. Lists like these tend to sand down any rough edges. BFI's Sight and Sound and the old Village Voice year end critics' lists would aggregate responses, but also would publish individual lists, which is where you'd see some of the more idiosyncratic choices each critic would make. So one critic may adore The Pearl Button and another may adore The Duke of Burgundy and it's maybe worth your time to track them down and see if they're odd outliers or if they're hidden gems that speak to you and deserve more critical and popular recognition. Besides, most of these critics are overworked and underpaid so even they don't have the time to catch every 5-hour Lav Diaz tome or an Obayashi film that doesn't get international distribution and only hits 2-3 spots on the festival circuit if their editors don't assign it to them.

Anyway, most people with a passing appreciation of Tarantino, Scorcese, the Coen brothers, Nolan, etc. may have never heard of the wonderful Toni Erdmann and give it a shot while the 1% of 1% of film snobs can turn their noses up at the inclusion of Once Upon a Time in Anatolia as promoting merely above average Ceylan while some obscure video installation artist's avante garde magnum opus goes painfully overlooked. A win-win list for everyone, I say.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

As noted above, Lee Chang-dong's Burning is now streaming on Netflix. It's a simmering, twisty blend of genres that makes a handful of surprising tonal shifts before reaching its target. The movie is quietly angry as hell and requires a patient watch, but Lee is a master storyteller and I think his film rewards the time you can give it.

Burning still holds its spot at the top of my 2018 movies list and was one of only 2-3 2018 films to make the critics "Best of Decade" list above (it likely will make my informal list, as well). My favorite movies by Lee, though, may still be his trilogy of slice-of-life melodramas, Oasis (2002), Secret Sunshine (2007), and Poetry (2011) about a handicapped woman finding love, a single mother navigating loss, and an older woman finding her creative voice, respectively. All three can feel like shaggy dog tales at first, but Lee and his actors create lived-in, memorable characters out of everyday women and men beset by personal, familial, and social challenges. In all three movies Lee remains interested in hypocrisy and power - especially the power wielded by less than capable, less than self-aware men over women - and his loose narratives gradually, meticulously build to reveal painful unspoken truths that have managed to (bleep) me up emotionally with every viewing. That Lee can use familiar narrative conventions that you'd find in a Cameron Crowe or John Hughes movie and then make those tropes new and alive is a rare talent in filmmaking these days. Lee - a former novelist turned director in his 40s - has done it over and over again over the past 20 years while his visual talents continue to get better and better, marking him as one of the most interesting and underrated directors alive, imo.

Caveat emptor: all three movies take their good, sweet time, all three deal with tragedy in the lives of normal people, and all three can be gut punches if they hit you just right.

Availability:

Oasis - Amazon Prime (it's unfortunately a bad DVD rip) and something called AsianCrush; not on Blu-Ray and the DVD is out of print
Secret Sunshine - Criterion Channel
Poetry - sadly not streaming on any subscription service, but it's available for rent at all the usual locations and for purchase on Blu-Ray.

And for those who get way too into Burning here are some dank film nerd memes to peruse: https://twitter.com/ericallenhatch/status/1105569086153654272
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject:

"Burning" was the best film of 2018. I agree. "Oasis," "Secret Sunshine," and "Poetry" are also essential. "Secret Sunshine," for me, is Director Lee's masterpiece.

"Toni Erdmann" is a great film. Check out director Maren Ade's "Everyone Else," if you haven't already done so.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
"Burning" was the best film of 2018. I agree. "Oasis," "Secret Sunshine," and "Poetry" are also essential. "Secret Sunshine," for me, is Director Lee's masterpiece.

"Toni Erdmann" is a great film. Check out director Maren Ade's "Everyone Else," if you haven't already done so.

golden armor, I think you and I have similar tastes. I definitely need to check out more of Ade's work, thanks for the rec.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

If George Cukor directed a bunch of westerns instead of "lady pictures," he'd be regarded as highly as John Ford today.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

Is The Social Network the best movie of the decade?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Either that or Moonlight or Spotlight.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I need to revisit it, but is it even better than Lincoln?

Idk, I find the subject matter of Fincher's films after Zodiac to be fairly staid and I wish he'd have taken more risks this decade. I'm worried a bit he's following in Spielberg's footsteps, but maybe Fincher has a Schindler's List left in him. But The Social Network is no Schindler's List.

I think all of PTA's output this decade has been better than anything Fincher's ever done, tbh.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Hugo was a beautiful picture that really resonated with me. Going off the top of my head, I'd pick that one. All of Scorsese's output this decade has been great or spectacular. Silence was another powerful film that stuck with me. Although that one has less of a rewatchable value.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Hugo was a beautiful picture that really resonated with me. Going off the top of my head, I'd pick that one. All of Scorsese's output this decade has been great or spectacular. Silence was another powerful film that stuck with me. Although that one has less of a rewatchable value.

Both oddly underrated films. I'm less a fan of Scorcese's 00s output than most folks, but he's been on a real roll this decade from Shutter Island onward and him branching out with Hugo and Silence has been super exciting for an all-time director who could just rest on his laurels and pump out The Departed variations every 2-3 years and get kudos.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 18 of 189
Jump to: