The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Before finalizing your best of 2019 lists, maybe sign up for Criterion Channel* and take a gander at Diamantino and An Elephant Sitting Still.

* I am unaffiliated with the Criterion Channel. It's merely the best streaming service currently available.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject:

Was Knives Out a bit too cheeseball to anyone else? Did the corniness work for you?
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Before finalizing your best of 2019 lists, maybe sign up for Criterion Channel* and take a gander at Diamantino and An Elephant Sitting Still.

* I am unaffiliated with the Criterion Channel. It's merely the best streaming service currently available.

Thanks for that. I have Criterion DVDs and Blu-Rays, but, I have not signed up for the streaming service yet. What other streaming services are available that specializes in indie and foreign films?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

Thanks for that. I have Criterion DVDs and Blu-Rays, but, I have not signed up for the streaming service yet. What other streaming services are available that specializes in indie and foreign films?

Amazon Prime has a broad, if chaotic selection that surprised me. I just found Suzuki's exceptional Yumeji streaming, for example, but it's the only film of the Taisho Trilogy available.

Mubi is my other main go to besides Criterion, but it has a unique 30 movies/30 days streaming structure, so if you don't want to keep on top of it week by week, it might not be for you. I love it because it's curated and I've discovered a number of festival and international gems that haven't gotten U.S. distribution along with helping me fill in gaps with more esoteric/obscure films. And they sprinkle in known classics like Visconti's Senso and Bresson's Diary of a Country Priest. I believe it's $3.99 per month.

Kanopy is an option if you're in the US and your library offers it as a service. You can then access their wonderful catalogue using your local library credentials, but some libraries do limit how many titles you can access per week/month. But there are no additional fees, so it's arguably the best option if you can get access via your local library or university (I bogart from a friend who's a uni professor and use my local library to get around monthly limits lol).

Ovid.tv is one I haven't signed up for yet, but I probably will next year to try out. It has a smaller rotating library but its collection of documentaries interests me.

Le Cinema Club (link) is free and offers one usually hard to find streaming documentary or short film every two weeks. I find it to be a fun mystery box.

Vimeo (and YouTube) - a lot of interesting new-ish films that can't find distribution end up dumped on Vimeo if you poke around and, of course, YouTube is full of random older movies streaming in full. If you're into silent era films (that's going to be my main film project in 2020), YouTube is chock-a-block with classic silent cinema from all over the world.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

Amazon Prime has a broad, if chaotic selection that surprised me. I just found Suzuki's exceptional Yumeji streaming, for example, but it's the only film of the Taisho Trilogy available.

Mubi is my other main go to besides Criterion, but it has a unique 30 movies/30 days streaming structure, so if you don't want to keep on top of it week by week, it might not be for you. I love it because it's curated and I've discovered a number of festival and international gems that haven't gotten U.S. distribution along with helping me fill in gaps with more esoteric/obscure films. And they sprinkle in known classics like Visconti's Senso and Bresson's Diary of a Country Priest. I believe it's $3.99 per month.

Kanopy is an option if you're in the US and your library offers it as a service. You can then access their wonderful catalogue using your local library credentials, but some libraries do limit how many titles you can access per week/month. But there are no additional fees, so it's arguably the best option if you can get access via your local library or university (I bogart from a friend who's a uni professor and use my local library to get around monthly limits lol).

Ovid.tv is one I haven't signed up for yet, but I probably will next year to try out. It has a smaller rotating library but its collection of documentaries interests me.

Le Cinema Club (link) is free and offers one usually hard to find streaming documentary or short film every two weeks. I find it to be a fun mystery box.

Vimeo (and YouTube) - a lot of interesting new-ish films that can't find distribution end up dumped on Vimeo if you poke around and, of course, YouTube is full of random older movies streaming in full. If you're into silent era films (that's going to be my main film project in 2020), YouTube is chock-a-block with classic silent cinema from all over the world.

I've heard of Mubi and Kanopy. I didn't realize that so much content was available on Vimeo and YouTube. Thanks.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject:

New York Film Critics Circle 2019 awards:

Quote:
Best Film: “The Irishman”

Best Director: Benny and Josh Safdie, “Uncut Gems”

Best First Film: “Atlantics,” Mati Diop

Best Actor: Antonio Banderas, “Pain and Glory”

Best Actress: Lupita Nyong’o, “Us”

Best Supporting Actor: Joe Pesci, “The Irishman”

Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern for “Marriage Story” and “Little Women”

Best Non-Fiction Film: “Honeyland”

Best Screenplay: “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Quentin Tarantino

Best Cinematography: “Portrait of a Lady on Fire,” Claire Mathon

Best Foreign Language Film: “Parasite”

Best Animated Film: “I Lost My Body”

Variety
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Great in-depth interview with Scorsese about The Irishman and other topics: BFI.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
golden armor wrote:

I've heard of Mubi and Kanopy. I didn't realize that so much content was available on Vimeo and YouTube. Thanks.

Cheers!

Here's one of the all time great Westerns, Hell's Hinges from 1916:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject:

What movies from the past decade made you laugh the most?

For me it's some combo of:

The Other Guys
Wolf of Wall Street
Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stoppin'
Grand Budapest Hotel
They Came Together
The Beach Bum

It's a very white list, I know. Looking forward to the replies. Let me know.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject:

The Other Guys
Wolf of Wall Street
Grand Budapest Hotel
They Came Together
The Beach Bum

MacGruber
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Was Knives Out a bit too cheeseball to anyone else? Did the corniness work for you?

The impression I have taken away from the trailers is that is exactly what they were shooting for and that is exactly why I want to see it.

It looks like a silly sendup of the murder mystery genre with an All-Star cast designed to make it work.

And having seen your post, I'm even more encouraged to see it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

The impression I have taken away from the trailers is that is exactly what they were shooting for and that is exactly why I want to see it.

It looks like a silly sendup of the murder mystery genre with an All-Star cast designed to make it work.

Yeah the old school, over-the-top camp is sort of the whole point.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah the old school, over-the-top camp is sort of the whole point.

The campiness felt a bit too try-hard to me especially as it intersected with the movie's Rich Hollywood Liberal political message. I liked it and had fun in the theater, but didn't love it. Seeing it so soon after seeing Parasite twice probably shaded my perception of Knives Out, as well.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

Marriage Story is now streaming on Netflix.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

That's one of those films that looks really good and yet leaves me with no desire to see it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

That's one of those films that looks really good and yet leaves me with no desire to see it.

Resist that urge. It’s great.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

There are officially too many movies.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

The Other Guys
Wolf of Wall Street
Grand Budapest Hotel
They Came Together
The Beach Bum

MacGruber

Good, funny movie. I need more.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

We get a 2 week break every holiday season. I’m going to live at the theater.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

It's insane how backloaded this year is. Uncut Gems on Christmas Day?! That's the present I'll be giving my family members.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

It's insane how backloaded this year is. Uncut Gems on Christmas Day?! That's the present I'll be giving my family members.

That’s probably the one I’m most excited about. Staying away from all the trailers and articles has not been easy.

Btw I watched Atlantics yesterday. I think I admire it more than I enjoyed it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:

That’s probably the one I’m most excited about. Staying away from all the trailers and articles has not been easy.

Btw I watched Atlantics yesterday. I think I admire it more than I enjoyed it.

I got sidetracked after the first fifteen minutes so I'll give it another go this weekend. It looked pretty, but the arranged marriage setup didn't grab me off the bat.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Resist that urge. It’s great.

I second this. The cast does an incredible job.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

1917, Uncut Gems, and Little Women all comes out on Christmas?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

The Other Guys
Wolf of Wall Street
Grand Budapest Hotel
They Came Together
The Beach Bum

Please no Paul Feig movies.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 42 of 189
Jump to: