The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

So, finally saw László Nemes' debut Son of Saul (2015) and I feel pretty confident that it's one of the best films of the decade without having to think too hard about it. The critics were right - what a (bleep) movie! All films should be this good.

There's a stylistic choice that runs throughout the film that is so simplistically brilliant that it floored me at how obvious it should've been and yet I can't think of another movie that uses it so extensively and so well. It transcends gimmick from the first shot and becomes one of the more powerful directorial choices I've seen in any movie from this decade - the camera is alive in Son of Saul and it is sympathetic, accusatory, and numbly blind to horror all at the same time. And the film's propulsive power through visceral horror reminded me of Come and See meets Apocalypse Now.

A must see debut from a director who sounds like one of the best new talents working today.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Any Nuri Bilge Ceylan fans in the house?
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

I'm a big fan. Some of my favorites of his are "Distant," Climates," and "Once Upon a Time in Anatolia."
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

I'm a big fan. Some of my favorites of his are "Distant," Climates," and "Once Upon a Time in Anatolia."

Yeah, buddy! Do you have thoughts on Winter Light?

Or even the ending of Anatolia?

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Go check out Booksmart if you can during the holiday weekend. It's a legit funny, light teen buddy comedy with two chaarming leads in Beanie Feldstein (Lady Bird) and Kaitlyn Dever (Justified, Short Term 12) who quietly steals the movie.

Wilde's directorial debut is impressive - a couple uneven moments, but the film's highs are quite high including a bravura climactic sequence that I think along with the lead performances will keep folks coming back to Booksmart in the future.

Criticisms: it's a total fantasy with no real teeth, but there's nothing wrong with a well-executed light gross-out comedy now and then.

seeing it in an hour per your recommendation

Phil liked it so much he died. RIP you beautiful big butt loving boy.

pretty much

I totally forgot to reply but I really really liked it. I rarely see anything in theaters tbh but high school stuff is my weakness. I knew it was considered Superbad 2 in a lot of ways and I can see the connections for sure (that Feldstein is Jonah Hill's sister to name but one) – IMO it is nearly as good but I haven't rewatched Superbad recently.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought Booksmart leaned into a lot of the clichés of the "lookin to get laid" high school comedy, but made it feel fresh at multiple points much like Superbad did a decade earlier.

After a second viewing of Booksmart, you really should just watch Superbad instead. I was wrong and I apologize to the community.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

This week:

Son of Saul
Winter Sleep
Climax
Los Angeles Plays Itself
Heart of Glass (1976)
A Matter of Life and Death (rewatch)
35 Shots of Rum (rewatch)

Movies are good again.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

Saw updated Magnificent Seven yesterday. Very Pratty and Denzelly. Very.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject:

Joker just won the Golden Lion at Venice and I'm cry laughing.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I saw Apocalypse Now Final Cut in theaters yesterday. It was my first time viewing it (one of those movies I just don't think I'd get into if I were to watch at home) and it lived up to the hype.

A lot of complaints about the plantation scene but I didn't mind it except for it was hard to understand everyone with their thick accents and no subtitles. Robert Duval absolutely owned the movie for the 15 minutes he was in it.

Charlie don't surf.

Fishburne was never 14. I don't buy that nonsense. He merely skipped from 12 to 22. That was 22 year old Lawrence that you saw there, dude.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

I liked Winter Light but it didn't move me as much as the others. I remember the ending of Anatolia as being consistently understated as the rest of the film. If you look up Ceylan's favorite films you will see many of his influences - Ozu, Bresson, Antonioni, Tarkovsky, Bergman. All masters and, of course, essential viewing for all those who are posting and lurking in this thread.

A couple more recent films that I saw recently that I liked were The Tourist and Transit. What did you think of Climax? Gaspar Noe - what an uncompromising director. Speaking of which, Von Trier's House that Jack Built was, in my opinion, much better than advertised. Not one of his all time best, but, still another example of a visionary director close to the top of his craft.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
golden armor wrote:

I liked Winter Light but it didn't move me as much as the others. I remember the ending of Anatolia as being consistently understated as the rest of the film. If you look up Ceylan's favorite films you will see many of his influences - Ozu, Bresson, Antonioni, Tarkovsky, Bergman. All masters and, of course, essential viewing for all those who are posting and lurking in this thread.

A couple more recent films that I saw recently that I liked were The Tourist and Transit. What did you think of Climax? Gaspar Noe - what an uncompromising director. Speaking of which, Von Trier's House that Jack Built was, in my opinion, much better than advertised. Not one of his all time best, but, still another example of a visionary director close to the top of his craft.

Climax is legitimately fun, which I never expected to write about a Noé film. For most of its runtime it's effectively a horror music video, which helps make some of the Noé excesses more palatable or avoids them all together unlike Love, which was chock full of every Noé excess. Once the characters - reasonably efficiently well-outlined for horror movie protagonists - descend the movie becomes non-stop movement, noise, screams, etc., so be prepared for that. Wonderful sound mixing and design.

THTJB has really grown on me since I saw it on VOD a few months ago. I disliked most everything but the ending until a rewatch of A Clockwork Orange opened my mind up to what Von Trier was trying to accomplish and it became funnier in retrospect (outside of the corpse-dragging scene - that was funny from the jump).

Transit is the best Petzold I've seen this decade and I'm quite a fan of it, Barbara, and Phoenix in nearly equal measure. It reminded me a bit of Kieślowski's Blind Chance, though I'm sure there are many analogues given the universality of its themes.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject:

A lot of praise for the Korean film Parasite which releases in theaters in about 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to it but if I'm being honest it's going to be hard to wait when there are copies available to watch now.

Ad Astra and Villains come out next week, I'm looking forward to both. I've heard someone call Ad Astra "Spacepolapse Now" and I that has be intrigued.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
A lot of praise for the Korean film Parasite which releases in theaters in about 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to it but if I'm being honest it's going to be hard to wait when there are copies available to watch now.

Ad Astra and Villains come out next week, I'm looking forward to both. I've heard someone call Ad Astra "Spacepolapse Now" and I that has be intrigued.

Copies where?
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
I saw Apocalypse Now Final Cut in theaters yesterday. It was my first time viewing it (one of those movies I just don't think I'd get into if I were to watch at home) and it lived up to the hype.

A lot of complaints about the plantation scene but I didn't mind it except for it was hard to understand everyone with their thick accents and no subtitles. Robert Duval absolutely owned the movie for the 15 minutes he was in it.

Charlie don't surf.

Fishburne was never 14. I don't buy that nonsense. He merely skipped from 12 to 22. That was 22 year old Lawrence that you saw there, dude.

I watched that years ago with my then girl friend a Filipina. She started laughing and I asked her what was do funny? Turns out the extras were all speaking Tagalog. So much for realism lol.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Go check out Booksmart if you can during the holiday weekend. It's a legit funny, light teen buddy comedy with two chaarming leads in Beanie Feldstein (Lady Bird) and Kaitlyn Dever (Justified, Short Term 12) who quietly steals the movie.

Wilde's directorial debut is impressive - a couple uneven moments, but the film's highs are quite high including a bravura climactic sequence that I think along with the lead performances will keep folks coming back to Booksmart in the future.

Criticisms: it's a total fantasy with no real teeth, but there's nothing wrong with a well-executed light gross-out comedy now and then.

pretty much

I totally forgot to reply but I really really liked it. I rarely see anything in theaters tbh but high school stuff is my weakness. I knew it was considered Superbad 2 in a lot of ways and I can see the connections for sure (that Feldstein is Jonah Hill's sister to name but one) – IMO it is nearly as good but I haven't rewatched Superbad recently.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought Booksmart leaned into a lot of the clichés of the "lookin to get laid" high school comedy, but made it feel fresh at multiple points much like Superbad did a decade earlier.

After a second viewing of Booksmart, you really should just watch Superbad instead. I was wrong and I apologize to the community.

Is it at least worth watching? I'm also a huge sucker for these high-school, coming of age comedies.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

pretty much

Is it at least worth watching? I'm also a huge sucker for these high-school, coming of age comedies.

Go in with lowered expectations and there's some fun to be had.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Steve James is a national treasure.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Charlie don't surf.

I watched that years ago with my then girl friend a Filipina. She started laughing and I asked her what was do funny? Turns out the extras were all speaking Tagalog. So much for realism lol.

Last time I saw it in full was when they released the director's cut a lotta years back. I just remember it being bizarre in general, but I've lost any detailed memory of it besides feelings of....horror. The horror... Anyway, I'd have to check it again because AM napalm is the only scene that still resonates. That, and the well-published fact that Martin Sheen had a heart attack and Brando was a nutjob, which Marlon further hammered home in Missouri Breaks. The napalm in the morning scene reminds me of the "MAO!"/(slap!) Russian roulette scene in The Deer Hunter (CMB's fave scene). These slow paced, long winded artsy 70s movies get boiled down in the mind to their one famous part/line. Another example = Five Easy Pieces and hold it between yer knees!
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Copies where?

It's released in other countries so there it's available online though I'm sure it's not the legal kind. I always like to support films though (plus this is the kind of movie that deserves the theater experience) so I'm gonna hold out a few weeks.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
golden armor wrote:

Winter Sleep hit a personal sweet spot for me as a fellow blowhard sometimes more than happy to tear down relationships rather than lose an argument. Aydin is a special level of egocentric doofus due to his privilege, but I found the argument between him and his wife by firelight to be a masterclass in script, performance, and subtle camera work that did a real emotional number on me. It was so Bergman-esque that I've been writing Winter Light rather than Winter Sleep this whole time!

The ending of Anatolia threw me after loving the first 3/4ths of it. It's streaming on Mubi this month, so I should probably give it a rewatch to see if I can tease out more thematic linkages between the search for the body and the later autopsy scenes because the tonal shift felt jarring to me.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Copies where?

It's released in other countries so there it's available online though I'm sure it's not the legal kind. I always like to support films though (plus this is the kind of movie that deserves the theater experience) so I'm gonna hold out a few weeks.

I also want to see it on a big screen, so I'll happily see it twice. I'm just getting antsy waiting until October.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Hustlers:

A lot of fun, well-written, some fine performances. Goodfellas light.

You will not see JLo or Constance Wu or Cardi B naked. You will see a topless Lizzo and man wang. Caveat emptor.

I'm torn on how much the movie loves its criminals. I feel like it needed a little extra Wolf of Wall Street excess just to better balance out the girl power, "robbing wealthy white dudes is a victimless crime" ethos of the film. Jennifer Lopez echoes Shakespeare to provide the movie's coda: all the world is a stage filled with strippers and people throwing money at strippers on the stage. Make of that what you will.

Also, this is a wonderful counterpoint to OUATIH where Wu and Lopez's chemistry rivals Leo and Pitt's, but a better writer-director crafts a superior film around the Hollywood fable rather than the real life New York caper.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

Reactions to the rumor that Sony plans to remake The Princess Bride:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/entertainment/the-princess-bride-remake-trnd/index.html

My favorite:

Quote:
Brian Stevenson

Twitter: everyone is my enemy, we will never have peace!
Hollywood: I think we should remake The Princess Bride
Twitter: TONIGHT WE RIDE AS ONE
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Psssst!

Hey, you.

Yeah, you!

Go see Ad Astra in theaters this weekend. Do it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject:

You know what's capital "C" Cinema?

Terminator 2

The camera work in this is so underrated.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 26 of 189
Jump to: