View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Better movies than Joker that influenced Joker or explore similar themes:

Taxi Driver
King of Comedy
- Phillips really, really likes Scorsese movies but can't seem to understand why they work.

Punch Drunk Love
- A much, much better movie with a more nuanced, sympathetic performance from Sandler as a broken man with mental health issues.

Kate Plays Christine
- A much, much better treatment of mental illness and performative violence.

The Master
You Were Never Really Here
- Two far superior movies with superior performances from Phoenix as broken men.

Beau Travail
- Better dancing (along with better everything)

Falling Down
- A not particularly good movie that at least knows its protagonist is a racist nutjob.

The Minus Man
- Owen Wilson as a sociopath trying to forge an identity to fit in. Better face manipulation scenes?

Feel free to add your own!
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Didn't read your entire review, as I've yet to watch Joker. But I read the first couple of sentences, and I think I can see where you were going with it. I'll just add that personally, I'm not terribly enthused about this film because it will invariably touch on two tropes which I'm positievly tired of: the origin story (seriously man, I've lost count at this point) and the constant pimping of the "dark and brooding" character study. Like you said there are probably better movies that have been made on the subject. I'll probably catch this on streaming when I need something mildly entertaining to watch. Also, Joaquin Phoenix? meh... give me River (even when he's cameo-ing in The Last Crusade). Nothing against JP, but he's never moved the needle for me as a leading actor.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

RIP Max Cherry.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
RIP Max Cherry.

(bleep) hell. Now I'm going to cry watching El Camino
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Didn't read your entire review, as I've yet to watch Joker. But I read the first couple of sentences, and I think I can see where you were going with it. I'll just add that personally, I'm not terribly enthused about this film because it will invariably touch on two tropes which I'm positievly tired of: the origin story (seriously man, I've lost count at this point) and the constant pimping of the "dark and brooding" character study. Like you said there are probably better movies that have been made on the subject. I'll probably catch this on streaming when I need something mildly entertaining to watch. Also, Joaquin Phoenix? meh... give me River (even when he's cameo-ing in The Last Crusade). Nothing against JP, but he's never moved the needle for me as a leading actor.

You can most definitely wait for it, especially if you're not a JP fan: the movie is 95% Phoenix and he's ACTING every second he's on screen.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Just watched El Camino...Even though I liked it, it was basically as if they started a new season, and played two episodes back to back.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Just watched El Camino...Even though I liked it, it was basically as if they started a new season, and played two episodes back to back.

Two really good episodes though.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Falling Down
- A not particularly good movie that at least knows its protagonist is a racist nutjob.

D-Fens didn't like the Army/Navy surplus store proprietor which didn't seem to fit his worldview. Maybe they needed the footage to make a 90 min runtime. Guy (the girl's dad in Valley Girl) finds snowglobe, "WHAT IS THIS!?!...", throws it against wall.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Falling Down

D-Fens didn't like the Army/Navy surplus store proprietor which didn't seem to fit his worldview. Maybe they needed the footage to make a 90 min runtime. Guy (the girl's dad in Valley Girl) finds snowglobe, "WHAT IS THIS!?!...", throws it against wall.

Army/Navy surplus store guy makes the movie, though!

"Actress...princess...officer-ess"
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Joker is bad. Bad, bad movie, man. Unbidden thoughts of its uninspired soundtrack popping up in my head, making me just a little angrier each time.

You know who memorizes Sondheim lyrics? Drunken finance bros, that's who! You stupid clown!

Just a 2-hour-long Rorschach test for morons. Need to watch some Wim Wenders to flush out my brain.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

You know who was ridiculously hot on screen?

Barbara Stanwyck: Baby Face hot!

There should be no more biopics, but since they'll never stop being made, I demand Greta Gerwig portray Barbara Stanwyck.

The light s&m flirtations in Ladies of Leisure shot through with class commentary is pure pre-code horniness. This should be taught with Coover's Spanking the Maid. The horniest Frank Capra movie ever?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Final Scorcese v. MCU post:

Disney Marvel movies have nothing in common with B-movies. Disney Marvel movies are the bloated sword and sandals mega epics of this generation.

Whatever lasting impact they may have will be a byproduct of millennial nostalgia as much as mediocre John Hughes movies have lingered due to Gen-X nostalgia and Ben Hur stuck around long after its welcome due to Boomer nostalgia.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of Taxi Driver, screenplay by Paul Schrader...

*phew!*

Schrader had himself a run in the 80s with Blue Collar, Mishima, and American Gigolo.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject:

Jojo Rabbit this weekend
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Jojo Rabbit this weekend

Nice! Here's a good primer article: The history of Nazi comedies
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

Parasite is the best film I've seen all year. If you live in NY or LA, you should try to get out and see it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
Parasite is the best film I've seen all year. If you live in NY or LA, you should try to get out and see it.

Jealous AF over here. I have a bootleg version I'm holding off on watching, but I'm fearful of spoilers like I'm a Star Wars nerd and don't know if I can avoid the film nerd discourse until Parasite opens wide.*

* please read in the voice of Milhouse Van Houten.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Joker is bad. Bad, bad movie, man. Unbidden thoughts of its uninspired soundtrack popping up in my head, making me just a little angrier each time.

You know who memorizes Sondheim lyrics? Drunken finance bros, that's who! You stupid clown!

Just a 2-hour-long Rorschach test for morons. Need to watch some Wim Wenders to flush out my brain.

Most egregious part of Jojer that no one's talking about?

CG blood. CG frickin' blood.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

Jealous AF over here. I have a bootleg version I'm holding off on watching, but I'm fearful of spoilers like I'm a Star Wars nerd and don't know if I can avoid the film nerd discourse until Parasite opens wide.*

* please read in the voice of Milhouse Van Houten.

I too have the same issue although I know I won't enjoy a foreign language movie nearly as much if I watch it at home. Might do a double feature on Saturday and see Jojo and Parasite since they're both playing in Hollywood.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

It's definitely worth seeing Parasite in a theatre. It's breaking per screen records and should be opening wide very soon.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
It's definitely worth seeing Parasite in a theatre. It's breaking per screen records and should be opening wide very soon.

Got my tickets for Saturday. Joker on Friday.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

It's interesting to think that Bong is more Nolan/Fincher (with a touch of GDT) in South Korea while he's more arthouse fare in the U.S. If only we as a nation could get over our aversion to subtitles, there's a whole lot of fun/thoughtful/visually stunning genre and genre-adjacent fare from around the world that could be more broadly enjoyed.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
golden armor wrote:

Got my tickets for Saturday. Joker on Friday.

That's the correct order.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

It's interesting to think that Bong is more Nolan/Fincher (with a touch of GDT) in South Korea while he's more arthouse fare in the U.S. If only we as a nation could get over our aversion to subtitles, there's a whole lot of fun/thoughtful/visually stunning genre and genre-adjacent fare from around the world that could be more broadly enjoyed.

I watch almost everything with subtitles on so it's making it easier to watch things and read along. I saw The Farewell and felt that I didn't miss anything even though they hardly spoke english. Along with Parasite I want to see Takashi Miike's First Love which I've heard great things about.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I watch almost everything with subtitles on so it's making it easier to watch things and read along. I saw The Farewell and felt that I didn't miss anything even though they hardly spoke english. Along with Parasite I want to see Takashi Miike's First Love which I've heard great things about.

I went with a Mandarin-speaking friend to see The Farewell and she was amazed at how many people came out to see a movie with subtitles (albeit in a smaller arthouse venue in an internationalized metro area). But there's hope for American moviegoers yet!

At this point I just watch everything at home with subtitles. I saw Under the Skin in theaters and got the disorientation Glazer was going for as I couldn't understand what the (bleep) anyone except Scarlett Johanson was saying, but it was nice to watch it for the second time with subtitles at home.

I'll probably wait for the latest Miike to hit streaming, but it sounds like his most accessible and fun movie in a couple years. He's so damn prolific, though, that it's hard to keep up. If you like Miike's stuff, also give Sion Sono a try - some of his grungier, gonzo stuff is streaming on Netflix and Prime.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 30 of 189
Jump to: