The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Francis Ford Coppola goes off on the MCU. Warms the heart.

Quote:
nuanced opinion guy
@charles_kinbote
There’s most likely going to be some discourse about this again but the reality is anyone who’s in the business of making movies who doesn’t want, deep down, approval from the guy who made The Godfather is LYING

https://twitter.com/charles_kinbote/status/1185894129810706434

From the guy who made The Godfather? Sure. It's nice and all, but not really a make or break thing.

From the guy who made Godfather III? Notsomuch.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Quote:
nuanced opinion guy
@charles_kinbote
There’s most likely going to be some discourse about this again but the reality is anyone who’s in the business of making movies who doesn’t want, deep down, approval from the guy who made The Godfather is LYING

From the guy who made The Godfather? Sure. It's nice and all, but not really a make or break thing.

It's the same guy.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

How about from the guy that's released 3 versions of the same movie over the past 40 years? Despicable? Really?

I would respect Marty's opinion more if he'd watched some of the movies but he gives the impression that he hasn't really watched any but he made up his mind about them based off of trailers or seeing part of a movie.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Quote:
nuanced opinion guy
@charles_kinbote

It's the same guy.

Gee. I had no idea. I also occasionally get him confused with the guy who makes wine.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

I thought Mark Harris summed up the Scorsese/Coppola/Marvel business nicely on Twitter:

Quote:

It's strange how an argument from 2008--"Everybody support these movies, we're FINALLY getting a toehold"--has morphed into "We're the dominant culture and anyone who disagrees too loudly will be taken down." Don't you get it? You won. Let a thousand flowers of dissent bloom.

Coppola and Scorsese, toward the end of great careers, are speaking about the dwindling of opportunity for ANYONE to make a certain kind of movie at a studio now that studios are branded-property farms. They look at Marvel movies and think "Studio moviemaking died for THIS?"

No, they shouldn't blame Marvel for embodying the narrowing of the mission of studios. But they're entitled to dislike the movies, including publicly. And they're more entitled than anyone to see studios a kind of cultural trust that's been largely abandoned. It was their lives.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Quote:
nuanced opinion guy
@charles_kinbote

It's the same guy.

Gee. I had no idea. I also occasionally get him confused with the guy who makes wine.

Wayne Gretzky?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

My favorite bit of the tedious need for every entertainment journalist to ask every aging auteur for his or her opinion about Marvel is how the responses so far have kind of reflected each director's temperament, approach to cinema, and artistic focus:

Scorsese - "not a cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to other humans..."

Coppola - "despicable" (you should see the man in Heart of Darkness)

Leigh - "cynical...marketing exercise" (my favorite)

Almodovar: "neutered...sexless"

Now we need Tsai Ming-liang to rag on the chaotic pacing of Endgame and Claire Denis to gripe about the lack of intimate dance sequences and scenes of bodily functions in the MCU. Woody Allen, of course, would really like to see more superheroes who win battles against barely legal sexy supervillains through literary quips and Bergam filmography references.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

No one involved in the Jumanji Cinematic Universe is trying to sell me on their social justice bona fides because they have two leads of color and a tough woman who kicks butt. The producers of the JCU aren't pushing for Academy Awards every year nor are the films' directors comparing their work to The Godfather and the existential ennui of Antonioni's films. They're just dumb blockbusters that aren't trying to be anything more than a mindless commodified entertainment experience to sell merchandise.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

Moreover, more than aesthetic choices, this is about the MCU being at the forefront of Disney's assault on the industry and the arms race toward competing nine figure mega-franchise dreck from the same three studios that has intensified over the past decade. The intent may not be new to Hollywood, but the sheer scale of it is, and it's squeezing out mid-budget studio fare that ends up going straight into the wastebin of Netflix's inscrutable algorithm. Obviously the convenience of streaming, rising theater costs, and the rise of the Chinese market have all contributed to the current bleak Hollywood landscape, but Disney isn't just "giving the people what they want," they're using predatory practices to dominate screentime at name theater chains while jacking up the prices for smaller theaters that want to show mid-budget Fox and Fox Searchlight movies because they can't devote half their screens to Maleficent 27 when they want to give their patrons opportunities to see Parasite and The Lighthouse. Distributors like A24 and Annapurna (which is being bailed out by daddy's money again) can't fight against that kind of runaway behometh.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
How about from the guy that's released 3 versions of the same movie over the past 40 years? Despicable? Really?

I would respect Marty's opinion more if he'd watched some of the movies but he gives the impression that he hasn't really watched any but he made up his mind about them based off of trailers or seeing part of a movie.

I believe he said he watched a few. I know Iron Man 2 broke my brain, can't imagine what was going through Scorsese's head watching it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

Anyway, please go see Parasite, The Lighthouse, Pain and Glory, and other smaller films in theaters currently if you can before the next Star Wars gobbles up everything.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Anyone seen Soderbergh's The Laundromat on Netflix yet? The Eddie Murphy starring biopic Dolemite is my Name is on Netflix this weekend, as well.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

My favorite bit of the tedious need for every entertainment journalist to ask every aging auteur for his or her opinion about Marvel is how the responses so far have kind of reflected each director's temperament, approach to cinema, and artistic focus:

Scorsese - "not a cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to other humans..."

Now we need Tsai Ming-liang to rag on the chaotic pacing of Endgame and Claire Denis to gripe about the lack of intimate dance sequences and scenes of bodily functions in the MCU. Woody Allen, of course, would really like to see more superheroes who win battles against barely legal sexy supervillains through literary quips and Bergam filmography references.

A bunch of filmmakers from the 70s, in their 70s, who don't dig comic book flicks. Not sure if that's the Bingo! most MCU un-enthusiasts are looking for. It's like polling vegans on their favorite burgers.

Also, I would like to see Pedro's take on Ant-Man, just saying.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

A bunch of filmmakers from the 70s, in their 70s, who don't dig comic book flicks. Not sure if that's the Bingo! most MCU un-enthusiasts are looking for. It's like polling vegans on their favorite burgers.

Also, I would like to see Pedro's take on Ant-Man, just saying.

They're also at the end of their careers (and lives) and don't have to worry about pissing off the Hollywood money people like younger directors do.

Alex Ross Perry's (Her Smell) editorial from this past May about how Avengers: Endgame should win the Best Picture Oscar is dripping with wry disdain:
Quote:
I would like to see “Avengers: Endgame” win best picture at the 2020 Oscars. Not because I think there won’t be some Q4 movie with artistic merit and inherent filmmaking quality irrefutably higher. (Or, irrefutably lower but likely to win anyway.) I want this because “The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King” achieved this in 2004, and there has simply been no other accomplishment in the art (yes, it is an art) of blockbuster studio filmmaking since then that could justifiably warrant such an honor.

This is no doubt a notion that will cause much eye-rolling, just as the celebration of the unprecedented financial dominance for “Endgame” has done. But to dismiss this as a reality is, to me, no different than being a person who, still in the spring of 2019, says “superhero movies boo,” and stubbornly refuses to engage with the absolute fact that we live in a world where the Avengers teaming up one final time — on the same weekend as the Battle of Winterfell — is more culturally relevant, exciting and important than the World Series and Superbowl combined. If people haven’t accepted this by now, they are free to remain obstinate, I guess.

IndieWire

That much misunderstood satirical piece is probably the closest we'll get to some younger indie/small budget filmmakers criticizing the House of Mouse and superhero movies in public. Even if they have no desire whatsoever to deal with Disney, you never know which executive producer somewhere may turn down funding for your next mid-budget studio flick because he's golfing buddies with Bob Iger.

Anyway, this is all in fun. Although I don't know that there's any real horniness in Ant Man, which I liked. Almodóvar is the guy who made a movie about Antonio Banderas as a plastic surgeon kidnapping his daughter's rapist, performing a forced sex change operation on him before falling in love with "her." That's horny.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

So their issue is big studio movies/IP is changing how people attend movies and making it harder for smaller or "artistic" movies to find theater screens. This is valid and has merit but there are other factors such as change in culture with everyone streaming everything at home now. Scorsese himself just made a movie for Netflix which is an at-home service, not a studio that puts films in theaters [though they are trying to now]. It just seems like sour grapes that rather than talk about the real issue - that Disney is monopolizing movie theaters with their agreements - he chooses to denigrate a franchise that people love. And he wonders why people who enjoy those movies would be upset with him. Why not grow some balls and call out the actual studios? Why is it just MCU and not Star Wars or the Disney remakes which also dominate the box office?

Here is part of Bob Iger's response:
Quote:
“I’m puzzled by it. If they want to b*** about movies it’s certainly their right. It seems so disrespectful to all the people who work on those films who are working just as hard as the people who are working on their films and are putting their creative souls on the line just like they are.”
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
So their issue is big studio movies/IP is changing how people attend movies and making it harder for smaller or "artistic" movies to find theater screens. This is valid and has merit but there are other factors such as change in culture with everyone streaming everything at home now. Scorsese himself just made a movie for Netflix which is an at-home service, not a studio that puts films in theaters [though they are trying to now]. It just seems like sour grapes that rather than talk about the real issue - that Disney is monopolizing movie theaters with their agreements - he chooses to denigrate a franchise that people love. And he wonders why people who enjoy those movies would be upset with him. Why not grow some balls and call out the actual studios? Why is it just MCU and not Star Wars or the Disney remakes which also dominate the box office?

Quote:
“I’m puzzled by it. If they want to b*** about movies it’s certainly their right. It seems so disrespectful to all the people who work on those films who are working just as hard as the people who are working on their films and are putting their creative souls on the line just like they are.”

Bob Iger seems to be a real piece of (bleep), tbqh.

Anyway, here's a nuanced, calm, well-reasoned piece on the whole subject from Bilge Elbiri that sums it up better than I ever could: Okay, Fine, Let's Talk About Marvel

ETA: Scorsese having to go to Netflix to get funding for maybe his last big budget project is a sign that 1) Netflix may be a Ponzi scheme and 2) that if Scorsese is struggling to get studio financing, imagine what other directors looking to make non-IP mid-budget adult fare are going through.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Almodóvar is the guy who made a movie about Antonio Banderas as a plastic surgeon kidnapping his daughter's rapist, performing a forced sex change operation on him before falling in love with "her." That's horny.

Loved that movie.

Trying to see Pain and Glory this weekend but already seeing Lighthouse and may not have time.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Almodóvar is the guy who made a movie about Antonio Banderas as a plastic surgeon kidnapping his daughter's rapist, performing a forced sex change operation on him before falling in love with "her." That's horny.

Loved that movie.

Trying to see Pain and Glory this weekend but already seeing Lighthouse and may not have time.

Same - one of my favorites from Pedro and one of my favorites of the decade. Thanos has nothing on Dr. Robert Ledgard.

I'll be seeing The Lighthouse and Parasite this weekend. I want to check out Pain and Glory next week, especially for the much raved about Banderas performance. If you catch it, let us know what you thought.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Quote:

Bob Iger seems to be a real piece of (bleep), tbqh.

Anyway, here's a nuanced, calm, well-reasoned piece on the whole subject from Bilge Elbiri that sums it up better than I ever could: Okay, Fine, Let's Talk About Marvel

ETA: Scorsese having to go to Netflix to get funding for maybe his last big budget project is a sign that 1) Netflix may be a Ponzi scheme and 2) that if Scorsese is struggling to get studio financing, imagine what other directors looking to make non-IP mid-budget adult fare are going through.

I agree that Iger pretty much only cares about $$ and that's why he's speaking out, he doesn't really care about the product/creators nearly as much as the success they bring.

And I don't disagree with Marty and other directors stance on big studio movies monopolizing the industry but I wish he'd have been a bit more clear as to what the real problem was. But I guess he answered the question asked and just wanted to move on to the next question. I doubt he thought this would blow up like it had. Now that it has he should use this as an opportunity to talk about the real problem but I can see how he might not want to start a war right before his movie comes out.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Loved that movie.

Same - one of my favorites from Pedro and one of my favorites of the decade. Thanos has nothing on Dr. Robert Ledgard.

I'll be seeing The Lighthouse and Parasite this weekend. I want to check out Pain and Glory next week, especially for the much raved about Banderas performance. If you catch it, let us know what you thought.

I'm still on the fence about The Lighthouse, it just looks a bit too out there for me lol. But I've been hearing such good things about it.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

As the entire entertainment business gets consumed by Disney, I imagine we will see more articles like this. Classic Fox titles are now going into the Disney Vault at the expense of local theaters who depends on them.

Quote:
Now, Fox classics are going into the vault as well, for reasons the company won’t publicly explain or justify. And Disney’s vaultification of Fox titles is bad news for movie theaters that depend on repertory screenings to shore up their increasingly shaky bottom lines. The decision to broaden Disney’s artificial scarcity tactic to include thousands of movies released by a onetime rival is a wounding blow to a swath of theatrical venues that used to be able to show them, and where film buffs were able to see them with an audience.

For such theaters, repertory screenings make business sense, too. “It may not seem like a big deal, losing access to movies that might only make the theater $600 or $1,000 once you deduct the costs attached to booking them,” said a film programmer who asked not to be named in this story for fear of angering Disney. “But over the course of a year, it all adds up. A lot of these movies are what you’d call ‘steady earners’ for theaters. You show them, and people turn up.” Speaking of steady earners: the steadiest of them all, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, appears to be the one title Disney isn’t cracking down on — perhaps because, according to Rachel Fox, “maybe Disney knows that if they pull Rocky Horror too, there’ll be a full-scale audience revolt.”

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-into-its-vault.html#_ga=2.213507412.139175407.1571943924-1542958568.1567392160
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Loved that movie.

I'm still on the fence about The Lighthouse, it just looks a bit too out there for me lol. But I've been hearing such good things about it.

It's the really out there stuff that can end up being the most fun! But it sounds like there's going to be a lot of farting and swearing while Willem Dafoe chews scenery, so I can see it being somewhat accessible
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
As the entire entertainment business gets consumed by Disney, I imagine we will see more articles like this. Classic Fox titles are now going into the Disney Vault at the expense of local theaters who depends on them.

Quote:
Now, Fox classics are going into the vault as well, for reasons the company won’t publicly explain or justify. And Disney’s vaultification of Fox titles is bad news for movie theaters that depend on repertory screenings to shore up their increasingly shaky bottom lines. The decision to broaden Disney’s artificial scarcity tactic to include thousands of movies released by a onetime rival is a wounding blow to a swath of theatrical venues that used to be able to show them, and where film buffs were able to see them with an audience.

For such theaters, repertory screenings make business sense, too. “It may not seem like a big deal, losing access to movies that might only make the theater $600 or $1,000 once you deduct the costs attached to booking them,” said a film programmer who asked not to be named in this story for fear of angering Disney. “But over the course of a year, it all adds up. A lot of these movies are what you’d call ‘steady earners’ for theaters. You show them, and people turn up.” Speaking of steady earners: the steadiest of them all, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, appears to be the one title Disney isn’t cracking down on — perhaps because, according to Rachel Fox, “maybe Disney knows that if they pull Rocky Horror too, there’ll be a full-scale audience revolt.”

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-into-its-vault.html#_ga=2.213507412.139175407.1571943924-1542958568.1567392160

I'm hoping there's real industry push back and that Disney gets shamed out of this odious practice, but I won't hold my breath. There's no doubt in my mind that Iger dreams of a future in which none of us consume any media that isn't Disney property.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

A few film pairings for some of the movies on my incomplete, way behind "Best of the 2010s" list that exists only in my head:

Burning and Taxi Driver - lonely white knights and their underlying class/racial resentments

The Master and Mikey & Nicky - just two flicks about dudes vibing, working out their feelings for one another

Phantom Thread and Hitchcock's Rebecca - too obvious, but two ravishing movies about complicated love stories haunted by the past

Inside Llewellyn Davis and O Brother, Where Art Thou? - two crypto-musicals based on The Odyssey set a decade apart, the Coen brothers in Llewellyn make peace with their artistic limitations

Happy Hour and Rivette's L'amour Fou - the uncertain boundaries of performance amid disintegrating relationships - watch them back-to-back for 10 hours of total run time!

Mad Max: Fury Road and Terminator 2 - maybe there is hope for the future, and if so, women will lead us there
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Michael Mann's Blackhat is ridiculous and somehow good. I'm way late to the party, but it feels like it should be talked about more than the John Wick franchise.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 32 of 189
Jump to: