When a Billionaire Wants a Burger
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2005
Posts: 10647

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: When a Billionaire Wants a Burger

He Waits in Line Just Like Everybody Else

Bill Gates at Dicks Drive In Last night. He had the munchies...
_________________
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44440

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Why.....wouldn’t he have to stand in line?
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 11005

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

well id imagine some business would roll out the carpet for a high profile person. Just off the top of my head I recall seeing a story of Obama bypassing the line at Franklin BBQ which is one of the most infamous restaurant waiting lines
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 25494

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Why.....wouldn’t he have to stand in line?


Celebrities don’t have to stand in line if they don’t want to. Example: Jimmy Choo I think it was would lock down their store so Kobe and family could shop privately
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2005
Posts: 10647

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

To paint a clear picture, this neighborhood, Wallingford, is on par with Van Nuys or Echo Park in Los Angeles. It's about 10 blocks from the University of Washington Campus and the clientele is a combination of high school & college students, a smattering of drug dealers, and that areas healthy homeless population. It's just a rather odd place to find one the the worlds wealthiest human beings at 12:30 am (munchies ) waiting in line for a mediocre burger & fries. There is a nicer Dicks over on lower Queen Anne about a mile from his Foundation headquarters. This particular Dicks is not on his way home (opposite direction) and as a former Seattle resident who grew up not too far from that location, he clearly knows what type of area it is. 3 weeks ago the cops had an armed standoff with a drugged out weirdo just a block from there. I just think it's kinda cool that he'd turn up at that spot in the middle of the night (Munchies ).
_________________
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 42983
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
I just think it's kinda cool that he'd turn up at that spot in the middle of the night (Munchies ).


Cool? . . . It's f*ç%!ng baller!
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 25334

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
I just think it's kinda cool that he'd turn up at that spot in the middle of the night (Munchies ).


Cool? . . . It's f*ç%!ng baller!

_________________
Never wanted him anyways! Bron/Kawhi 2019!!! Choo Choo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 11005

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:

yeah from that pic it looks like a kinda sketchy area. Im shocked someone like him would be there with assuming no security detail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 14987

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Why.....wouldn’t he have to stand in line?

Aside from the obvious point of him getting special treatment, there's also the fact that delivery apps exist or he could just pay someone to stand in line for him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2005
Posts: 10647

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
yeah from that pic it looks like a kinda sketchy area. Im shocked someone like him would be there with assuming no security detail.


FWIW, He's known for getting his burger fix over on the eastside in Bellevue (locally known as "Little Mumbai" because now a city that in the 90's was 90+%white and is now 51% Asian with all the H1B visa holders that staff all the big tech companies) @ Burgermeister, But that area is typically vanilla safe suburbia not far from his home in Medina. This spot is just kinda out of the comfort zone of most "White Bread" elites, But I wouldn't necessarily call it dangerous, or sketch, in the traditional sense. Wallingford is just a working class bedroom community that's near enough to the freeway homeless population that you'd not expect to see a billionaire casually roaming around in the middle of the night, especially a billionaire of the nerdy variety.

That said, i wouldn't consider any danger to his person. It's just an odd sighting. Seattle doesn't really have any "dangerous" areas compared to what's understood as dangerous in other major cities. There are no parallels in this town to places like LA, Oakland, Chicago, New York, DC, Detroit, Baltimore, New Orleans, and the like...
_________________
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4549
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject:


>"grilled onions will be an extra 59 cents, Mr. gates"
>bill thinks about it for a sec
>looks at cashier
>looks at wallet
>looks at cashier
>"on second thought, no grilled onions, thanks"

_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44440

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
Why.....wouldn’t he have to stand in line?

Aside from the obvious point of him getting special treatment, there's also the fact that delivery apps exist or he could just pay someone to stand in line for him.


I dunno he’s a person it doesn’t seem that weird that he’d go get food.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 25494

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
Why.....wouldn’t he have to stand in line?

Aside from the obvious point of him getting special treatment, there's also the fact that delivery apps exist or he could just pay someone to stand in line for him.


I dunno he’s a person it doesn’t seem that weird that he’d go get food.


Not the getting food part that's weird. A man has to eat.

It's more that he chose to stand in line like everyone else ... something many celebrities can, and do, avoid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44440

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
Why.....wouldn’t he have to stand in line?

Aside from the obvious point of him getting special treatment, there's also the fact that delivery apps exist or he could just pay someone to stand in line for him.


I dunno he’s a person it doesn’t seem that weird that he’d go get food.


Not the getting food part that's weird. A man has to eat.

It's more that he chose to stand in line like everyone else ... something many celebrities can, and do, avoid.


Living in LA, it’s fairly common to see rich and famous people doing all sorts of regular stuff.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 25494

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
Why.....wouldn’t he have to stand in line?

Aside from the obvious point of him getting special treatment, there's also the fact that delivery apps exist or he could just pay someone to stand in line for him.


I dunno he’s a person it doesn’t seem that weird that he’d go get food.


Not the getting food part that's weird. A man has to eat.

It's more that he chose to stand in line like everyone else ... something many celebrities can, and do, avoid.


Living in LA, it’s fairly common to see rich and famous people doing all sorts of regular stuff.


I know the art of nuance is effectively gone these days, but, I think there is a distinction on those "regular stuff" and, a distinction on "rich and famous".

Not all regular stuff is the same.

There's a big difference between seeing Dennis Rodman at a restaurant eating with friends, and seeing the Earth's richest man standing alone in a line at a $5 burger stand.

I suppose they both fall into "rich and famous doing regular stuff" but, again, nuance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44440

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
Why.....wouldn’t he have to stand in line?

Aside from the obvious point of him getting special treatment, there's also the fact that delivery apps exist or he could just pay someone to stand in line for him.


I dunno he’s a person it doesn’t seem that weird that he’d go get food.


Not the getting food part that's weird. A man has to eat.

It's more that he chose to stand in line like everyone else ... something many celebrities can, and do, avoid.


Living in LA, it’s fairly common to see rich and famous people doing all sorts of regular stuff.


I know the art of nuance is effectively gone these days, but, I think there is a distinction on those "regular stuff" and, a distinction on "rich and famous".

Not all regular stuff is the same.

There's a big difference between seeing Dennis Rodman at a restaurant eating with friends, and seeing the Earth's richest man standing alone in a line at a $5 burger stand.

I suppose they both fall into "rich and famous doing regular stuff" but, again, nuance.


I’ve personally seen famous people that are far more recognizable than Bill Gates standing in line at a burger stand. Ironically, your charicature of rich people as being unable or unwilling to do anything for themselves lacks quite a bit of nuance.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 25494

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
Why.....wouldn’t he have to stand in line?

Aside from the obvious point of him getting special treatment, there's also the fact that delivery apps exist or he could just pay someone to stand in line for him.


I dunno he’s a person it doesn’t seem that weird that he’d go get food.


Not the getting food part that's weird. A man has to eat.

It's more that he chose to stand in line like everyone else ... something many celebrities can, and do, avoid.


Living in LA, it’s fairly common to see rich and famous people doing all sorts of regular stuff.


I know the art of nuance is effectively gone these days, but, I think there is a distinction on those "regular stuff" and, a distinction on "rich and famous".

Not all regular stuff is the same.

There's a big difference between seeing Dennis Rodman at a restaurant eating with friends, and seeing the Earth's richest man standing alone in a line at a $5 burger stand.

I suppose they both fall into "rich and famous doing regular stuff" but, again, nuance.


I’ve personally seen famous people that are far more recognizable than Bill Gates standing in line at a burger stand. Ironically, your charicature of rich people as being unable or unwilling to do anything for themselves lacks quite a bit of nuance.


Two different rich and famous people can do the same regular thing and spark entirely different outcomes.

If you see Nick Young standing alone in a burger line late at night, that's not all that surprising.

If you see Bill Gates or say Obama standing alone in a burger line late at night, I think you'd get an entirely different response.

You wonder why. I don't as I think those can be easily explained (or at least, theorized).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44440

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
Why.....wouldn’t he have to stand in line?

Aside from the obvious point of him getting special treatment, there's also the fact that delivery apps exist or he could just pay someone to stand in line for him.


I dunno he’s a person it doesn’t seem that weird that he’d go get food.


Not the getting food part that's weird. A man has to eat.

It's more that he chose to stand in line like everyone else ... something many celebrities can, and do, avoid.


Living in LA, it’s fairly common to see rich and famous people doing all sorts of regular stuff.


I know the art of nuance is effectively gone these days, but, I think there is a distinction on those "regular stuff" and, a distinction on "rich and famous".

Not all regular stuff is the same.

There's a big difference between seeing Dennis Rodman at a restaurant eating with friends, and seeing the Earth's richest man standing alone in a line at a $5 burger stand.

I suppose they both fall into "rich and famous doing regular stuff" but, again, nuance.


I’ve personally seen famous people that are far more recognizable than Bill Gates standing in line at a burger stand. Ironically, your charicature of rich people as being unable or unwilling to do anything for themselves lacks quite a bit of nuance.


Two different rich and famous people can do the same regular thing and spark entirely different outcomes.

If you see Nick Young standing alone in a burger line late at night, that's not all that surprising.

If you see Bill Gates or say Obama standing alone in a burger line late at night, I think you'd get an entirely different response.

You wonder why. I don't as I think those can be easily explained (or at least, theorized).


I think you’re severely overthinking this. He felt like getting a burger so he went and got one.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 25494

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I think you’re severely overthinking this. He felt like getting a burger so he went and got one.


Bill Gates' motivations aren't the discussion point. No one is denying he wanted a burger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44440

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
I think you’re severely overthinking this. He felt like getting a burger so he went and got one.


Bill Gates' motivations aren't the discussion point. No one is denying he wanted a burger.


Right. You’re just saying it’s strange that he did it for himself rather than pay a butler or something.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 25494

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
I think you’re severely overthinking this. He felt like getting a burger so he went and got one.


Bill Gates' motivations aren't the discussion point. No one is denying he wanted a burger.


Right. You’re just saying it’s strange that he did it for himself rather than pay a butler or something.


I'm explaining to you why it is that some people would find this unusual, remarkable, strange, or whatever, since you don't feel that way.

As I said, two "rich and famous" people can do the same "regular" activity and it would be perceived by some folks, though clearly not all, in different ways.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44440

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
I think you’re severely overthinking this. He felt like getting a burger so he went and got one.


Bill Gates' motivations aren't the discussion point. No one is denying he wanted a burger.


Right. You’re just saying it’s strange that he did it for himself rather than pay a butler or something.


I'm explaining to you why it is that some people would find this unusual, remarkable, strange, or whatever, since you don't feel that way.

As I said, two "rich and famous" people can do the same "regular" activity and it would be perceived by some folks, though clearly not all, in different ways.


Oh I understand why people might think it’s strange. I’m saying that way of looking at it is silly and misguided.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 25494

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
I think you’re severely overthinking this. He felt like getting a burger so he went and got one.


Bill Gates' motivations aren't the discussion point. No one is denying he wanted a burger.


Right. You’re just saying it’s strange that he did it for himself rather than pay a butler or something.


I'm explaining to you why it is that some people would find this unusual, remarkable, strange, or whatever, since you don't feel that way.

As I said, two "rich and famous" people can do the same "regular" activity and it would be perceived by some folks, though clearly not all, in different ways.


Oh I understand why people might think it’s strange. I’m saying that way of looking at it is silly and misguided.


Gotcha. Well, you're certainly entitled to that position. I was just explaining it because in your original reply you asked why.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44440

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
I think you’re severely overthinking this. He felt like getting a burger so he went and got one.


Bill Gates' motivations aren't the discussion point. No one is denying he wanted a burger.


Right. You’re just saying it’s strange that he did it for himself rather than pay a butler or something.


I'm explaining to you why it is that some people would find this unusual, remarkable, strange, or whatever, since you don't feel that way.

As I said, two "rich and famous" people can do the same "regular" activity and it would be perceived by some folks, though clearly not all, in different ways.


Oh I understand why people might think it’s strange. I’m saying that way of looking at it is silly and misguided.


Gotcha. Well, you're certainly entitled to that position. I was just explaining it because in your original reply you asked why.


Yes I was challenging the charicature.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 47879
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
well id imagine some business would roll out the carpet for a high profile person. Just off the top of my head I recall seeing a story of Obama bypassing the line at Franklin BBQ which is one of the most infamous restaurant waiting lines

That seems sensible. He was the president. Standing in line would be a security nightmare. Although I think it would make more sense to have one of his detachment pick it up for him. Franklin Barbecue
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB