Randles role, position and value in this current NBA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
AJChang617 wrote:
Cousins
Kuzma
PG-13
Ingram
Lonzo

Should be #2/3 seed in West

FIFY

Our defense would take a big step backwards with that lineup.

As for Randle, starting 4 or 5 and probably $12-15 mil.

Not sure. Kuzma is the only real defensive liability there, but you might as well start Nance and have Kuzma come off the bench for balance purposes. PG/Ingram/Lonzo is well above average defense on the perimeter, and Boogie can hold his own.

If we do get to sign those 2 guys, we'd be set up real nice.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

Starting 5 - maybe used like Green in GS, nominal big center, then Randle still plays 32 minutes a game and finishes games.

Salary $11-15 million
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

6th man.
In today's NBA, that's 15M a year given his age and potential to still get better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

See him more as a 4, starter or bench depending on the quality of team. He could easily be a starting 4 if he focused all his energy on being more like Steven Adams and stopped trying to be more of a focal point on offense.

Worth $11 - 14M/year, though someone may give him more (hopefully not us).
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

He's a starting 4 and backup 5.

Not being used correctly in Los Angeles and I swear he'll blow up if traded to a team that gives him opportunity and minutes.

Think LA is a bad situation for him and they don't know how to use him properly. We'll see at the end but think that is the Lakers let him go, it'll be a mistake.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:

Not being used correctly in Los Angeles and I swear he'll blow up if traded to a team that gives him opportunity and minutes.

Think LA is a bad situation for him and they don't know how to use him properly. We'll see at the end but think that is the Lakers let him go, it'll be a mistake.

Agree with this. I think Walton is trying so hard to be like the Warriors, he want's just about everyone to be a 3 point threat. Randle is a post up player that can turn and face and beat his defender. He can occasionally hit a 15 footer. I really like his motor and if given 28-32 minutes he's a 18 ppg/10 rpg guy. Market value $10-12 million a year.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Starting 4
Back up 5, but finish games

$12-$15

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Starting PFs:
Markeiff Morris, Hollis-Jefferson, Porzingis, Simmons, Ibaka, Lebron, Mirotic, T. Harris, T. Young, Giannis, Ilyasova, M. Williams, J. Johnson, A. Gordon, Marcus Morris, Powell, Anderson, J. Green, A. Davis, Aldridge, Millsap, Gibson, Melo, Aminu, Favors, Green, Griffin, Bender, and Randolph.

Starting Cs:
Horford, Mozgov, Kanter, Embiid, Valanciunas, Lopez, Love, Maker, Turner, Drummond, Howard, Whiteside, Vucevic, Gortat, Nowitzki, Capela, M. Gasol, D. Cousins, P. Gasol, Jokic, KAT, S. Adams, Nurkic, Gobert, Pachulia, Jordan, Chandler, and Cauley-Stein.

-------------------------

I think a little more than half of the teams in the NBA have a starting C and/or PF who is worse than Randle. He's a starting caliber player in my mind, especially if you give him more of a confined role with better players around him. He'd look amazing with guys around him who can score and spread the floor.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
He's a starting caliber player in my mind, especially if you give him more of a confined role with better players around him. He'd look amazing with guys around him who can score and spread the floor.

That last statement applies to every single player in the NBA.

Randle may well blow up in another system . . . but that doesn't make him the guy to keep. Kuzma, IMO, plays much better as a starter and his multifaceted floor game benefits the team more. Randle is not a starting C in the NBA. Move Randle for cap space or a better fitting player.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

I guess I just don’t see how Randle doesn’t fit in. He can play uptempo, and he can play in a halfcourt.

Is he an all-star? I don’t think so. But he’s a very solid frontcourt player that has 25/12 upside on any given night. And he can defend guards when called upon.

We do need shooting, but I also think we need some muscle that can play uptempo and not hurt you.

I think it is much easier and cheaper to get shooting than it is a multi-faceted player like JR. There’s no doubt he needs refining but I’m curious as to which players would be a better fit than Randle.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
He's a starting caliber player in my mind, especially if you give him more of a confined role with better players around him. He'd look amazing with guys around him who can score and spread the floor.

Randle may well blow up in another system . . . but that doesn't make him the guy to keep. Kuzma, IMO, plays much better as a starter and his multifaceted floor game benefits the team more. Randle is not a starting C in the NBA. Move Randle for cap space or a better fitting player.

Ryan Anderson has arguably the most spacing around him in the league outside of GS, and I don’t see him looking amazing.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

Agree with this. I think Walton is trying so hard to be like the Warriors, he want's just about everyone to be a 3 point threat. Randle is a post up player that can turn and face and beat his defender. He can occasionally hit a 15 footer. I really like his motor and if given 28-32 minutes he's a 18 ppg/10 rpg guy. Market value $10-12 million a year.

That's worth a lot more in this league. I'm a bit a shocked that nobody has estimated more than $15 million, though I hope that we keep him at around that rate. I'd think a potential 15/10 guy with handles and versatility on D would attract higher offers on the open market, though it's tough to say how restricted free agency and lack of teams cap space this upcoming summer affects that.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I think it is much easier and cheaper to get shooting than it is a multi-faceted player like JR. There’s no doubt he needs refining but I’m curious as to which players would be a better fit than Randle.

Great question.

We run an uptempo offense, which is designed to move the ball quickly so that we get open looks before the defense gets set.

Primary needs are:

- High BBIQ guys who get the ball to the right spots quickly.
- Knock down perimeter shooters, particularly from 3-pt
- 2-way transition players, as uptempo hoops requires the ability to read/react quickly on D
- willing passers
- players who can create shots in transition

Randle fits the bill in that he can create his shot in transition, and he transitions from defense to offense well. He is, however, poor in transitioning from offense to defense, stinks as a perimeter shooter, is a poor decision maker and, while he is a willing passer, he generally has to pound the ball and draw a crowd before he passes - great in a slow tempo offense but awful in an uptempo system.

There are systems he'd work great in - ironically he'd fit great next to Boogie in a traditional offense, as well as next to KAT.

If there were non-max 4s I'd swap JR with:

Draymond (of course)
Ibaka
Mirotic

But the best guy is already on the team (Kuz).
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Starting PF next to a unicorn center.

So he can only start in the craziest most rare situation? Seems fine if we just had a real stretch 5.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject:

Not a crazy or rare situation anymore as it comes to centers stretching the floor to mid.
Terra4Gary
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

Role and position

3. Bench 4

Market value

1. $1M to $10M
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Ryan Anderson has arguably the most spacing around him in the league outside of GS, and I don’t see him looking amazing.

Ryan Anderson is a spacer himself, so bad example. A bit of a hyperbolic statement by Dr. Laker, but yes, most all players with more of a traditional 2-pt game do better with guys that spread the floor.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject:

I think Randle is easily in the $12-15 million range

Even though he is restricted I think teams looking to piece together a team that fits their system would want him and would be willing to a move a player like randle back i.e. good player but just not the right player for the direction the team is headed.

Not sure how many situations are out there like that, but I could see something like that happening
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject:

One things for sure we need to improve our shooting at whatever position we can
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

Right now I miss the roll-man Randle at C than the post-up Randle at 4 by miles.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Right now I miss the roll-man Randle at C than the post-up Randle at 4 by miles.

I don't understand the logic of it, particularly after Lonzo's return. Maybe it's a byproduct of occupying the floor with Brook, or they want him to showcase that he can "create his own shot".

The longer leash on running breaks and ignoring Lonzo is also up there.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I don't understand the logic of it, particularly after Lonzo's return. Maybe it's a byproduct of occupying the floor with Brook, or they want him to showcase that he can "create his own shot".

The longer leash on running breaks and ignoring Lonzo is also up there.

Lopez shoots 3s like he should, but he isn't drawing enough gravity to really open up that painted area.

Also, both Lopez and Randle are most comfortable in that mid-to-high post. Basically, it's turning Lopez into Pau during D'Antoni years while Randle is getting D12's post up opportunities.

It's a + when they both start, but it's a bit clunky unless Randle gets more efficient in the post and/or Lopez gets more efficient as a spot up shooter.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Role - Beast

Position - front court strong and fast man

value - all the monies
Eonst
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Replace Lopez with a better stretch 5.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Trade Lopez at the deadline and start Zubac or Bryant next to Randle.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: