Unpopular / Un-PC opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I think that the earth is becoming overpopulated and policies like China's two kid maximum are not bad ideas.

I'm not against that. I'll see a (presumably)single Mom walking down the street with several kids to her side, one in a stroller (and most likely one in the oven) and wonder if it's REALLY a good idea for her to keep popping out kids. There are other scenarios where this crosses my mind as well, but this is the most recent.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
I think that the earth is becoming overpopulated and policies like China's two kid maximum are not bad ideas.

I'm not against that. I'll see a (presumably)single Mom walking down the street with several kids to her side, one in a stroller (and most likely one in the oven) and wonder if it's REALLY a good idea for her to keep popping out kids. There are other scenarios where this crosses my mind as well, but this is the most recent.

Except that's not the case in the US.

Quote:
The total number of babies born in the U.S. last year was 3,941,109. That’s 37,388 fewer babies than were born in the U.S. in 2015, which represents a 1% decline.

The number of births tends to rise as the population rises, so statisticians like to make historical comparisons by calculating the general fertility rate. This is the number of births per 1,000 women considered to be of childbearing age (between 15 and 44).

In 2016, the U.S. general fertility rate hit a record low of 62.0 births per 1,000 women ages 15 to 44. In 2015, the general fertility rate was 62.5.

Another useful statistic is the total fertility rate. This is an estimate of the total number of babies that 1,000 women would have over their lifetimes, based on the actual birth rates for women in different age groups.

In 2016, the total fertility rate for American women was 1,818 births per 1,000 women. That’s the lowest it has been since 1984.

In order for a generation to exactly replace itself, the total fertility rate needs to be 2,100 births per 1,000 women. The U.S. has been missing that mark since 1971 (though the country’s population has grown due to immigration).
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Quote:
The total number of babies born in the U.S. last year was 3,941,109. That’s 37,388 fewer babies than were born in the U.S. in 2015, which represents a 1% decline.

The number of births tends to rise as the population rises, so statisticians like to make historical comparisons by calculating the general fertility rate. This is the number of births per 1,000 women considered to be of childbearing age (between 15 and 44).

In 2016, the U.S. general fertility rate hit a record low of 62.0 births per 1,000 women ages 15 to 44. In 2015, the general fertility rate was 62.5.

Another useful statistic is the total fertility rate. This is an estimate of the total number of babies that 1,000 women would have over their lifetimes, based on the actual birth rates for women in different age groups.

In 2016, the total fertility rate for American women was 1,818 births per 1,000 women. That’s the lowest it has been since 1984.

In order for a generation to exactly replace itself, the total fertility rate needs to be 2,100 births per 1,000 women. The U.S. has been missing that mark since 1971 (though the country’s population has grown due to immigration).

It's ok, negative 37388... we have a net positive migration in the millions. We're good
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Quote:

It's ok, negative 37388... we have a net positive migration in the millions. We're good

I hope we keep missing that mark. its same line they keep telling the Japanese to have more kids for the good of the economy. But I bet even if the economy goes down the quility of life will sky rocket

I agree we are overpopulated I'm not for an authoritarian governments telling the people how many kids they can have instead I'm for goverments who support upward mobility through education and health care. The biggest deterrent for someone having kids is them being informed and working towards a diploma/goal.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
The biggest deterrent for someone having kids is them being informed and working towards a diploma/goal.

Being informed would include not teaching abstinence, but instead real sex education. Also having birth control and access to abortion widely and easily available, while empowering women generally, is extremely significant in keeping unwanted pregnancies down.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

I disagree. The goal for most advanced economies should be to have more children and kill off the elderly after age 75.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
The biggest deterrent for someone having kids is them being informed and working towards a diploma/goal.

Being informed would include not teaching abstinence, but instead real sex education. Also having birth control and access to abortion widely and easily available, while empowering women generally, is extremely significant in keeping unwanted pregnancies down.

Real sex education, free health care, debt free education all these thing I could get on board with but I think we should still have a ban on late term abortion after 24 weeks. If we are going to make a woman have baby she has decided she doesnt want after 24 weeks the government better be there to assist her with the basics of what she needs
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jimmy Butler is the best SG overall in the NBA.

Not the best SG, but best SG overall?

the PC term now is wing player

i wish we could just call it what we really want to call it: joe johnson
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jimmy Butler is the best SG overall in the NBA.

Not the best SG, but best SG overall?

the PC term now is wing player

i wish we could just call it what we really want to call it: joe johnson

Might not be a long Johnson but he fast
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
My hot take: Atheists are like millennials, constantly offended. Just live your life man.

Huh. It'd be interesting to see how you could corroborate such a generalization. If anything, it more aptly describes the atheist's adversary, today, and throughout history: the religious...the original snowflake SJW. Challenges to the prevailing orthodoxy got a bunch of people put to the stake/stoning pit/iron maiden/sword. Galileo, one of the all-time greatest minds ever produced by our species, was exiled for literally offending the church.

What's also odd about your take is that "just live your life, man" works as a perfect word-for-word essential credo for atheism.

I'm definitely generalizing. I'm just saying that I notice that people who don't believe in a god are always offended that people who do mention God, for example getting offended when someone says thank god in post game interview. Why does that bother anyone?

As far as the rest of your statement, I don't disagree.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Ted wrote:
My hot take: Atheists are like millennials, constantly offended. Just live your life man.

Huh. It'd be interesting to see how you could corroborate such a generalization. If anything, it more aptly describes the atheist's adversary, today, and throughout history: the religious...the original snowflake SJW. Challenges to the prevailing orthodoxy got a bunch of people put to the stake/stoning pit/iron maiden/sword. Galileo, one of the all-time greatest minds ever produced by our species, was exiled for literally offending the church.

What's also odd about your take is that "just live your life, man" works as a perfect word-for-word essential credo for atheism.

I'm definitely generalizing. I'm just saying that I notice that people who don't believe in a god are always offended that people who do mention God, for example getting offended when someone says thank god in post game interview. Why does that bother anyone?

I definitely share the same experiences with Ted. At least with liberal mainstream media and social networking sites, you can count on an atheist to jump on you for mentioning God. It's becoming a social norm in my view, and in my opinion will not belong in this thread soon enough.

Of course, this is just my experience and doesn't represent the state of the whole world (ie third-world countries).
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:

My hot take: That's one huge pile of steaming irony right there . . . not to mention inaccurate.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
Ted wrote:
Ted wrote:

I definitely share the same experiences with Ted. At least with liberal mainstream media and social networking sites, you can count on an atheist to jump on you for mentioning God. It's becoming a social norm in my view, and in my opinion will not belong in this thread soon enough.

Of course, this is just my experience and doesn't represent the state of the whole world (ie third-world countries).

I’m an atheist, and I don’t jump people for mentioning god. I think there’s a huge difference between that and codifying god through public institutions. It like the “war on Christmas”, where the two major oppressions are not putting up religious iconography on government property, and having employees say “happy holidays” to make everyone feel welcome, including Christians, and the prayer in school issue, where the point is just not having the school itself lead prayers, there seems to be a great sensistivity to anything that doesn’t ensconce Christian faith and faith in general in a position of privileged ubiquity, free to comment as it will but also free from dissent or comment about it.

As to the reference in this thread, we generally stop religious discussions both to respect the rights of everyone, it also because of the emotional nature such arguments end up being, with, ironically, the religious people often the most aggrieved at having their beliefs “attacked”. I personally have no issue discussing the subject, although I admit I’m not the one who comes away feeling offended.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

I disagree. The goal for most advanced economies should be to have more children and kill off the elderly after age 75.

I'm of the opinion that too many children are born into horrifying situations and also that too many people that have children are not ready to be parents.I 'm also of the opinion that the elderly (assuming they are cogent, able-bodied, etc) could take on a greater parenting role in society to help combat that.

However, I do see the merit to your view (though I would not want to kill off the type of elderly I just mentioned) and it's not that I'm against people having more children per se especially if the economy as a whole would benefit. I'm also in full support of assisted suicide.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject:

The ridiculous “micro-“ everything culture has now spread to... micro-cheating. So yeah, I hate the micro- culture!!

*sigh*
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject:

My hot take: Social media has created a culture in which stereotyping and belittling people with different viewpoints (liberals, conservatives, millennials, vegans, atheists, evangelicals, whatever) has become a form of sport that is more important to people than discussing anything of substance. We live in a culture of outrage, and nothing outrages (and secretly delights) people more than the fact that people with opposing viewpoints are outraged.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

Glad to see this thread. Thought I was getting to the age were im becoming grumpy old man
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Glad to see this thread. Thought I was getting to the age were im becoming grumpy old man

You are. But so am I
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The ridiculous “micro-“ everything culture has now spread to... micro-cheating. So yeah, I hate the micro- culture!!

*sigh*

Are you having a micro melt down?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

*sigh*

Are you having a micro melt down?

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
My hot take: Social media has created a culture in which stereotyping and belittling people with different viewpoints (liberals, conservatives, millennials, vegans, atheists, evangelicals, whatever) has become a form of sport that is more important to people than discussing anything of substance. We live in a culture of outrage, and nothing outrages (and secretly delights) people more than the fact that people with opposing viewpoints are outraged.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Outrage has always flummoxed the comfortable.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

there's too many cars
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Today, the comfortable are the outraged, and the outraged are comfortable.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Today, the comfortable are the outraged, and the outraged are comfortable.

Good turn of phrase, but nah. Most people outraged over the outrage are people who don't understand why things have to change.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15
Jump to: