Unpopular / Un-PC opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 46628
Location: Coming soon and striking at your borders.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.
_________________
LAVAR 3:16...

Hypebeasts we know aboutchea'
Don't rep the Lakers unless they popular...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 2075

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.


I actually agree with some of what you say but you single out white people like its worse in their culture which its not. Spend a day in anyone's culture and ignorance is there.

Most people look after their family, try not to hurt eachother and make a buck at the end of the day.

Too much divide and conquer instead you should look at the similarities
_________________
Starting Lineup:


Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 3100
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.


I think that's the PC opinion. The un-PC opinion is that it's not just white people.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 7296
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.


I think that's the PC opinion. The un-PC opinion is that it's not just white people.


Dude get out of my brain, I was going to write that, wtf.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.

but you single out white people like its worse in their culture


City_Dawg is singling out white people because they hold the vast majority of the power in this country. That should be obvious. Take a look at the wealth disparity between white people and poc. Take a look at the percentage of poc in the prison population compared to their percentage in the general population. That is why it is correct to single out white people for continuing a system of white supremacy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.

I think that's the PC opinion. The un-PC opinion is that it's not just white people.

Dude get out of my brain, I was going to write that, wtf.


I disagree. It is PC to give a speech like Obama did in 2004 where he said "there is not a black America, or a white America, and Latino America, and Asian America, there is the United States of America" to the cheers of the crowd. That's why you never saw Obama blaming white people for the problems PoC face, because it isn't PC to do that. It is PC to be colorblind, or to rattle off a list of races that need to be protected and uplifted without ever saying protected from whom or uplifted at the expense of whom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 2075

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.

but you single out white people like its worse in their culture


City_Dawg is singling out white people because they hold the vast majority of the power in this country. That should be obvious. Take a look at the wealth disparity between white people and poc. Take a look at the percentage of poc in the prison population compared to their percentage in the general population. That is why it is correct to single out white people for continuing a system of white supremacy.


Some criminologist think we could be confusing race for poverty or inequality. where people living in poorer urban areas have less access to public services.

I know is its hard for a kid of any race to make it out of poverty. The focus i think should be on how to fix the us system to pull more people out of poverty instead of focusing on what divides us.



But i could be wrong not the first time
_________________
Starting Lineup:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Some criminologist think we could be confusing race for poverty or inequality. where people living in poorer urban areas have less access to public services.

I know is its hard for a kid of any race to make it out of poverty. The focus i think should be on how to fix the us system to pull more people out of poverty instead of focusing on what divides us.

I'm going to quote Ta-Nehisi Coates in response to you because he explains this topic better than I can, and I enjoy revisiting his work.
Quote:
When you hear people claiming that "class" can somehow account for the damage of white supremacy [...] you should be skeptical. I have made those comparisons. But learning is the entire point of researching, writing, and reporting. I am learning that you can not simply wish the past away.

White-supremacist policy is older than this country. It begins with the slave codes in mid-17th-century colonial Virginia. It proceeds through the the 18th century, inscribing itself into our Constitution. It moves into the 19th century with such force that slaves alone were worth more than all the productive capacity of the country put together. War was waged to assure slavery's continuance. The war was lost. We had a chance to do the right thing. We didn't. So white supremacist policy endured. Even American liberalism's proudest moment -- the New Deal -- would be unimaginable without its aid. This era of policy did not close until the late 1960s, well within the living memory of many Americans.

In the face of this, liberals today are arguing that 300 years of immoral policy can be undone by changing the subject. If only we can fool white racists by helping black people under the guise of "class," maybe we can get out from under this. But the math says that black people are a class unto themselves. There is no "black and white" elite, no "black and white" middle class, no colorless poor. And when you consider that white supremacy is a dominant strain in our history, how could there be?

The Atlantic
Quote:
[...]But raising the minimum wage doesn’t really address the fact that black men without criminal records have about the same shot at low-wage work as white men with them; nor can making college free address the wage gap between black and white graduates. Housing discrimination, historical and present, may well be the fulcrum of white supremacy. Affirmative action is one of the most disputed issues of the day.[...]

The Atlantic
Quote:
Again, briefly, treating a racist injury solely with class-based remedies is like treating a gunshot wound solely with bandages. The bandages help, but they will not suffice.
[...]
We now know that for every dollar of wealth white families have, black families have a nickel. We know that being middle class does not immunize black families from exploitation in the way that it immunizes white families. We know that black families making $100,000 a year tend to live in the same kind of neighborhoods as white families making $30,000 a year. We know that in a city like Chicago, the wealthiest black neighborhood has an incarceration rate many times worse than the poorest white neighborhood. This is not a class divide, but a racist divide. Mainstream liberal policy proposes to address this divide without actually targeting it, to solve a problem through category error.
[...]
The point is not that reparations is not divisive. The point is that anti-racism is always divisive.
[...]
The terribleness is this: To destroy white supremacy we must commit ourselves to the promotion of unpopular policy. To commit ourselves solely to the promotion of popular policy means making peace with white supremacy.

The Atlantic

And if you want to pursue this topic further, I would recommend you read Coates' "The Case for Reparations" here: The Atlantic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 20192

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

The income disparity by race is real, but I do think there is a valid debate as to the factors that cause that.

I’m not convinced they are 100% institutional/systemic.

If it is, then the system has failed whites. They’re not even the highest group in terms of average income. How can that be IF it was all due to a “white” system?

There must be other factors at play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 39953
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.

but you single out white people like its worse in their culture


City_Dawg is singling out white people because they hold the vast majority of the power in this country. That should be obvious. Take a look at the wealth disparity between white people and poc. Take a look at the percentage of poc in the prison population compared to their percentage in the general population. That is why it is correct to single out white people for continuing a system of white supremacy.


With all due respect (and in fairness to LS), while racism is certainly the core of American White Supremacy, racism and White Supremacy are also two entities unto themselves.

Racism is racism . . . there's no "American White Supremacy is the only racism that matters" option to the issue because racism is not solely White and American.

This thread is about what is PC and what is not. That's not a concept that exists solely in American society. So assuming that racism and the perils of it are simply an issue of White American Male Privilege would be missing the mark entirely.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
there's no "American White Supremacy is the only racism that matters" option to the issue because racism is not solely White and American.

This thread is about what is PC and what is not. That's not a concept that exists solely in American society. So assuming that racism and the perils of it are simply an issue of White American Male Privilege would be missing the mark entirely.

You're arguing against a straw-man. So your response missed the mark entirely, with all due respect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The income disparity by race is real, but I do think there is a valid debate as to the factors that cause that.

I’m not convinced they are 100% institutional/systemic.

If it is, then the system has failed whites. They’re not even the highest group in terms of average income. How can that be IF it was all due to a “white” system?

There must be other factors at play.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_minority
&
NPR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 3100
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

The history of white supremacy in our country is undeniable but I think it's important to the study to note that racism isn't just a white people thing, and it's not even just whites who advance white supremacy.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 12832

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
The history of white supremacy in our country is undeniable but I think it's important to the study to note that racism isn't just a white people thing, and it's not even just whites who advance white supremacy.

Absolutely. I can speak to this firsthand with my parents, who unsurprisingly are Republicans.
_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 46628
Location: Coming soon and striking at your borders.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
White Americans, no matter their political affiliation are actually pretty OK with with white supremacy. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, their ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away their true feelings.


Is this better? ( I can't spell "their" to save my life apparently)

Quote:
The history of white supremacy in our country is undeniable but I think it's important to the study to note that racism isn't just a white people thing, and it's not even just whites who advance white supremacy.


Ok, and? The root problem here is still white supremacy. I mean don't understand the point of the whole "All races can be racist" other than a cop out and a deflection. White Supremacy has basically been codified into law and continues to influence local and national policy to this day. I mean yes ALL RACISM is bad no duh, but only one kind has the of power that can ruin lives across generations. Unless there i some brand new black separatist movement I haven't heard about.

Quote:
With all due respect (and in fairness to LS), while racism is certainly the core of American White Supremacy, racism and White Supremacy are also two entities unto themselves.

Racism is racism . . . there's no "American White Supremacy is the only racism that matters" option to the issue because racism is not solely White and American.

This thread is about what is PC and what is not. That's not a concept that exists solely in American society. So assuming that racism and the perils of it are simply an issue of White American Male Privilege would be missing the mark entirely.


Im talking America because America loves to suck its own dick about "justice for all" when it has a long history of (bleep) over its own people and whitewashing the results of that. If I wanted to address racism worldwide as a whole, I would have. But I specifically said America for a reason.
_________________
LAVAR 3:16...

Hypebeasts we know aboutchea'
Don't rep the Lakers unless they popular...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 19737

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Ok, and? The root problem here is still white supremacy. I mean don't understand the point of the whole "All races can be racist" other than a cop out and a deflection. White Supremacy has basically been codified into law and continues to influence local and national policy to this day. I mean yes ALL RACISM is bad no duh, but only one kind has the of power that can ruin lives across generations. Unless there i some brand new black separatist movement I haven't heard about.


Okay, but I think you just made the other poster's point. This thread is not a political debate. There is a separate thread for that. This thread is about non-PC opinions. It is PC to rail about white privilege and white supremacy, but it is not PC to say that non-white people can be racist, too.

People are tribal. The reason why white privilege is an issue doesn't have anything to do with white people, per se. Whites make up the majority of this country, and that will continue for some distance into the future. If you adjust for economics and education, the gap gets much bigger. Whites wield enormous power in this country, and therefore racist attitudes by white people have vastly greater consequences than racist attitudes by non-whites.

Given the passage of time, most of the people in this country will be multiracial anyway. People will need to find new and creative reasons to hate each other.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 7296
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

This is unpopular opinions, not facts about US history. Fact of the matter is, when you're citing opinions from 2004 as evidence of modern unpopularity and an author's whose prominence and meteoric rise over the past 6 years is directly attributable to a growing interest in his discourse on white supremacy past and present, you don't have an argument that your opinion is "unpopular" or "un-PC." As for HLN's statement, that is an unpopular opinion - and it's possible to hold it while both acknowledging America's ugly history and present and recognizing that you can find people of any race that make derogatory, racist comments about other out-groups (and often in-groups as well). Do those statements have the same impact/power behind them? No, certainly not. Does it matter, on the "ground" so to speak, to the people hearing those opinions or affected by them? Also no.

And this is coming from someone whose study this stuff pretty deeply and, because it apparently matters, has also read most everything Coates has written, including Between the World and Me (beautiful, check it out) and We Were Eight Years in Power.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Fact of the matter is, when you're citing opinions from 2004 as evidence of modern unpopularity [...] you don't have an argument that your opinion is "unpopular" or "un-PC."


How about Obama's 2016 State of the Union Address, when he said "I’ll be right there with you as a citizen — inspired by those voices of fairness and vision, of grit and good humor and kindness that have helped America travel so far. Voices that help us see ourselves not first and foremost as black or white or Asian or Latino, not as gay or straight, immigrant or native born; not as Democrats or Republicans, but as Americans first, bound by a common creed."

That is who Obama is, he is an incredibly PC politician, which makes racist white Americans' fear of him even more laughable. He never advocated singling out white Americans, because that isn't a politically correct thing to do.

I'll give you another example, this time with Republicans. It's PC when they cherry pick MLK's line "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." They do this constantly, both because it provides cover for their racist ideology, and because it is PC to be colorblind and to whitewash MLK or commit the "Santa Clausification" of MLK.

Quote:
Fact of the matter is, when you're citing opinions from [...] an author's whose prominence and meteoric rise over the past 6 years is directly attributable to a growing interest in his discourse on white supremacy past and present, you don't have an argument that your opinion is "unpopular" or "un-PC."
[...]
And this is coming from someone whose study this stuff pretty deeply and, because it apparently matters, has also read most everything Coates has written, including Between the World and Me (beautiful, check it out) and We Were Eight Years in Power.

First of all, I think you're overestimating the popularity of Coates, broadly speaking. The vast majority of people in this country do not read his pieces in The Atlantic, read his books, or even know who he is. Secondly, since you're that familiar with Coates' work, then you should know one of the most crucial pieces of journalism he has done is "The Case for Reparations." And you should also know that reparations for black Americans as a federal policy is very unpopular. It's un-PC to advocate in favor of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 3100
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/school-cancels-movie-showing-after-student-claims-its-racially-insensitive-1/692248107
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 39953
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
there's no "American White Supremacy is the only racism that matters" option to the issue because racism is not solely White and American.

This thread is about what is PC and what is not. That's not a concept that exists solely in American society. So assuming that racism and the perils of it are simply an issue of White American Male Privilege would be missing the mark entirely.

You're arguing against a straw-man. So your response missed the mark entirely, with all due respect.


Nope. Just pointing out the obvious.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 16476
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

24 should've changed his name to Marlo Stanfield instead of Omar Little.
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

PC: Official Ram Trucks Super Bowl Commercial | Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Un-PC: What Martin Luther King Actually Thought About Car Commercials
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 80131
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
24 should've changed his name to Marlo Stanfield instead of Omar Little.


Lol
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 16476
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
24 should've changed his name to Marlo Stanfield instead of Omar Little.


Lol


"You want it to be one way. You want it be one way.
You want it to be one way ... but it's the other way."
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 12832

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
24 should've changed his name to Marlo Stanfield instead of Omar Little.


_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB