LAL are paying a high price for not signing Derek Fisher
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novano2004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: LAL are paying a high price for not signing Derek Fisher

Oh now LAL is looking for a PG, thank you. why did not sign Derek fisher then, he knew the system played with kobe. I didnt feel as bad when LAL traded Shaq, but i felt very bad when we lost two players Horry and Fisher. i felt those two were like the glue to this team but Kuptchec(i dont even know how to spell his name and dont really care) did not sign fisher.
Good luck finding another point guard soon (you are the weakest link,,Good bye)
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:

I luved D-Fish, he was my fave player in the Laker squad, I even wear #2 at my team, I'd love him back, and it was a big mistake not resigning him.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

^Besides Kobe of course.
novano2004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:

In one of the LAL Dynasty DVD collections one of the LAL assistants said that Derek was the best player who understood the triangle in the LAL team. What does that mean? it means that we lost one of the most valuable players. We cant pay fisher 5.5M but we can pay Kwame 6 or 7M. Man this is stupid.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject:

Oh dear lord, The Shoes Dream Team--Fish and LO.

But, I'll grant that while Fish wouldn't have helped defense at the 1 much, he'd certainly have some court poise out there, make clutch shots (which he has too since he gives up so many), and could help manage the offense. And hell, Buss is already paying like $60-odd million for this disaster of a team, what's another $5-6 million a year for Fish?

That said, any of the guards we considered during the off-season, Daniels, Watson, or Anderson, could have pretty much provided the same thing.

Mitch went to the bargain bin instead and still overpaid for McKie.

But this franchise has more or less neglected the point guard position since trading NVE, and now we're kind of seeing why 29 other teams generally value having a point guard.
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:

Wow ... Fisher was the key to those championships all along. Who knew?????

Seriously, I have never been a big fan of Fish. He was just OK on defense and even then it was only because he had a young Shaq in the middle to make up for his inability to prevent penetration. Even with Shaq have you all forgotten how any decent PG used to light Fish up???

He may be an upgrade from Smush and certainly from last year's Chucky nightmare but he is certainly not the answer for our future at $31 mil over 5 years. Especially since he will be almost 36 by the time his contract is done.
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:

Let's trade Mitch!!!!!!!!!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject:

This franchise has ingnored a traditoinal PG since Kobe developped and Phil came along.

1- Phil doesn't like ball dominant PG's.
2- We signed a HOF in Payton - forgot that? - and it didn't work out
3- The chemistry issues with a traditional point and Bryant is always under suspicion
4- Phil's coach and has a huge say on who come's in or not.
5- Baron almost was a Laker last season until they felt that his back wouldn't hold up longterm (coincidentally that was when Phil wasn't coach)

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject:

Its just like novano said, we pay Kwame 7mi and cant pay Fish 5mi after he won 3 titles with us? I dont understand Mitch's logic. And after Mitch declines 5mi to Fish he gives it to Vlade, who would sit the season, way to go Mitchy.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:

Paying fish 6mil a year would have been a big mistake. True his defense was better than Smushs but don't give him full credit for holding the fort defensively. Those Lakers squads knew how to play team defense. They knew how to rotate, recover and help out. This team doesn't. I loved D-fish but I doubt bringing him would cure all the Lakers defensive problems.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Its just like novano said, we pay Kwame 7mi and cant pay Fish 5mi after he won 3 titles with us? I dont understand Mitch's logic. And after Mitch declines 5mi to Fish he gives it to Vlade, who would sit the season, way to go Mitchy.

I can't defend the Kwame move - but I know why they aren't paying some of the other guys.

Over 30

All the statements made lead me to believe that they only want players in their 20's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject:

is this the point were we start regreting every single move weve done on the past?

So far someone complained about Mitch trading Payton for Mihm, ect.

Now someone is complaining over not resigning Derek Fisher.

Losing is rotting the mind....

We should of resigned Mark Madsen when we had the chance..
indestrukt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject:

We should have kept Pig Miller.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
is this the point were we start regreting every single move weve done on the past?

Losing is rotting the mind

Can't rot what's not there!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:

Losing is rotting the mind....

Not sure some of these crybabies HAD a mind to rot.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
This franchise has ingnored a traditoinal PG since Kobe developped and Phil came along.

1- Phil doesn't like ball dominant PG's.
2- We signed a HOF in Payton - forgot that? - and it didn't work out
3- The chemistry issues with a traditional point and Bryant is always under suspicion
4- Phil's coach and has a huge say on who come's in or not.
5- Baron almost was a Laker last season until they felt that his back wouldn't hold up longterm (coincidentally that was when Phil wasn't coach)

I'm so glad you did this again. I'm so tired of making this point. It needed to be said again though. People have been watching Bryant for years and still insist how great it would be if we had a pg... That individual with all his skills, and instincts would become a unic minutes upon his arrival because all his skills would mean squat with Jax and especially KObe. That is why the Lakers had success with guys like Fish. He knew his role and how to do it. Sure he got in trouble with the leagues best points but, how does anybody think those guys became categorized as the leagues best pg's? If Fisher would have played with the Spurs like Pop so wanted after he trashed them in that playoff record setting sweep he would have been an incredible piece because of the Spurs defensive system. Fisher did lose a step after that season because of the foot injury but, he was a hard nosed little guy before that and frequently early in his career was brought in to relieve Nick for his defense That was a time before Fish developed that now famous stroke. Nobody could ever question Fishers heart and desire to win and, no matter what anybody says that won a lot of games for the Lakers. He was the no.3 leading scorer during the Bling Bling and I refuse to disrespect him..
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

'They' as in Mitch you mean?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:

I think this is Step 4 in the "Coping With Laker Losses" cycle that comes after 1) Ripping the Player Not Named Kobe, 2) Demanding This Player to be Traded Immediately, and 3) Screaming for Kupchak' to be Fired.

This is the step where Laker fans check the NBA Box Scores from last night and pick out any player who had a nice game and Questioning Why We Didn't Sign/Re-sign this Player? Soon to be followed by Pleading For the Lakers to Trade for this Player.

Forget about the fact that Fish is a 32-year old PG who has a contract that lasts through the end of 2010.
B-Scott
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:

Derrick fisher is much much better then Smush an sasha. Ity not eevn close. There are not many guys who can stay in front of Toni parker. Not many guys who can lock down Mike bibby. Those were 2 guys fisher had major problems with. Everyone has problems with those 2

2 yrs ago in the WCF i thought our team D was solid,with fish in the game. Remember he was in the game during crunch time before he hit that big shot at San antonio. He wasnt a liability on D that game. We played great team D.

We need a VET like fish BAD
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:

Just_Looking wrote:

Seriously, I have never been a big fan of Fish. He was just OK on defense and even then it was only because he had a young Shaq in the middle to make up for his inability to prevent penetration. Even with Shaq have you all forgotten how any decent PG used to light Fish up???

He may be an upgrade from Smush and certainly from last year's Chucky nightmare but he is certainly not the answer for our future at $31 mil over 5 years. Especially since he will be almost 36 by the time his contract is done.

Don't downplay heart. Fish had heart - our team (minus Kobe) does not.

Big factor.
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

RJBaca wrote:
Just_Looking wrote:

Don't downplay heart. Fish had heart - our team (minus Kobe) does not.

Big factor.

That's why I've always been a big fan of Fisher. That said, one cannot ignore that him being tortured by Bibby almost cost us a championship (man, it would be awesome to get Bibby in 2007...). Still, he'd be a great upgrade over Chucky or Smush. Unfortunately, he can't come back due to his huge contract.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

B-Scott wrote:
Derrick fisher is much much better then Smush an sasha. Ity not eevn close. There are not many guys who can stay in front of Toni parker. Not many guys who can lock down Mike bibby. Those were 2 guys fisher had major problems with. Everyone has problems with those 2

2 yrs ago in the WCF i thought our team D was solid,with fish in the game. Remember he was in the game during crunch time before he hit that big shot at San antonio. He wasnt a liability on D that game. We played great team D.

We need a VET like fish BAD

This is a fact that Fisher (non supporters) deflect as if it never happened. Fisher (a) was completely healthy (b) wasn't being made to play 4quarters with just a pause because Payton was with the team. Fish played for how long without a decent backup? Lindsey was goob but, Lindsey then lost his mind after his brother I believed was killed and, that was understandable. We won that year. Payton one of the leagues best could not function in the tri and had quit on both sides of the ball. Fisher, was doing a good job till he got hurt in that playoff run. I still say if Malone and Fisher would have been healthy in that series, the changes in history that would have caused would have made these days much different...

Last edited by THE_SHOES on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

All of Fish's weaknesses have been on display big time in Golden State. Give me a break. With his fat contract I would rather have resigned Caron Butler. Fish is old and without the system he basically is a spot up chucker. Fish is not a real point guard. Basically a two. Better shooter than Smush but Smush is more versatile. I don't even like Smush that much.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

Yeah D-Fish is just amazing, look at all the success he's brought to the Warriors, oh wait.. I liked the kid too he was a gritty little player but he's not worth 40 million. You guys have quite the short memory, there's a reason why Gary Payton's old ass was brought in, Fisher couldn't defend anymore.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject:

we are paying a very high price for selecting vujacic when duhon was available, cook when josh howard was available, rush when tayshaun prince was available... we are paying a very high price for signing always soft players...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: