LAL are paying a high price for not signing Derek Fisher
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:

Sidious wrote:
Yeah D-Fish is just amazing, look at all the success he's brought to the Warriors, oh wait.. I liked the kid too he was a gritty little player but he's not worth 40 million. You guys have quite the short memory, there's a reason why Gary Payton's old ass was brought in, Fisher couldn't defend anymore.

Oh, that's clever... I guess that is why Payton was whining so hard about his playing time...
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

I think what you're missing is that the Warriors already regretted signing Fisher to that ridiculous contract 1 year later. It was widely speculated that he might be waived in order to save them from the lux tax hit.

The only way we could have kept him was to match that price and I'm sure glad we didn't.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

Remember Point Four Seconds!

That's how long it took every point guard in the league to blow by Dead Fish.

For $6 million a year, that would be a waste of salary cap space.
Fansince88
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

I think they got rid of Mr. 0.04 because they thought they were going away from the Triangle since Phil left at the time, and probably felt Fish wouldn't do so well outside of the Triangle. Now with Phil back, I'm sure they wish they still had Fish. Plus, the money issue was probably a factor.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

kobekillinu2nite wrote:
Let's trade Mitch!!!!!!!!!!!

To the Bobcats for a second round pick!
NoHarmNoFoul
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject:

Guy is not worth anything close to the $$ that GSW is paying him -- he is the past, time to focus on the future.

Who will you aim your irrational anger at then?"
-PopcornMachine
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

I knew a topic like this would pop up after he had a couple of 20 point games.

While he does have the character the Lakers need, in a sense, that was "replaced" with Turiaf's enthusiasm and heart.

Now we have Parker, who lapses at times, but also has stellar defensive games against Andre Miller and Stephon Marbury. Not bad considering it's his 1st time getting over 30 minutes per game.

You know, there's a reason why GSW signed Baron Davis. 10 game losing streak with Fisher as starting PG was enough for me. The roster, for the most part, has been exactly the same.

Biggest reason why GSW has any kind of success? Baron Davis. Even when Fisher comes off the bench, he's a SG, coming off of picks for jumpshots. Not surprising.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Lionel The Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:

Mitchell thought he had The Great Sasha, Marcus Banks and Chucky as his PG's.
lionballer7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:

Pathetic...just pathetic
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:

I still don't regret the Lakers not signing Fish to a 6 year-36mil $ contract. The GSW sure are though.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Biggest reason why GSW has any kind of success? Baron Davis. Even when Fisher comes off the bench, he's a SG, coming off of picks for jumpshots. Not surprising.

They've won 2-3 games without BD and Fish starting.

There are rumors that Davis is being shopped as of deadline. And Fisher has had 7-9 assist games since becoming a starter.

Yes, Fish is more of a SG - but in certain set up situations he is excellent.

1- Lobs
2- Post entry passing

What Fish can't do is things like penetrate and kick. Play two man games as a point guard. Push the the ball. Those are things a player like Nash or Paul excel at.

But he has some very good passing skills too. Number 1 is the lob pass. Number 2 is his ability to make good post entry passes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

They've won 2-3 games without BD and Fish starting.

There are rumors that Davis is being shopped as of deadline. And Fisher has had 7-9 assist games since becoming a starter.

Yes, Fish is more of a SG - but in certain set up situations he is excellent.

1- Lobs
2- Post entry passing

What Fish can't do is things like penetrate and kick. Play two man games as a point guard. Push the the ball. Those are things a player like Nash or Paul excel at.

But he has some very good passing skills too. Number 1 is the lob pass. Number 2 is his ability to make good post entry passes.

Agreed. But do you think he's worth his salary right now?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:

^
No
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
we are paying a very high price for selecting vujacic when duhon was available, cook when josh howard was available, rush when tayshaun prince was available... we are paying a very high price for signing always soft players...

Thank you @#@$% kupcake.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

You think we have cap issues now...

With what Fish was asking for, things would have been worse. People seem to forget that Smush is earning lunch money 'round here. And yet he's still doing a respectible job for someone that was a summer league invite.

Geez, over 10 points, one of the league leaders in steals...

What else do you want from the guy?

I LOVE Fish. I would have taken him over Nick the Brick any day. But Fish had his titles and wanted more security than the Lakers could give. I can't blame him for leaving and taking it.
FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I miss Derek Fishers ability to blow layups. He was pretty good at that.

THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

While he does have the character the Lakers need, in a sense, that was "replaced" with Turiaf's enthusiasm and heart.

Now we have Parker, who lapses at times, but also has stellar defensive games against Andre Miller and Stephon Marbury. Not bad considering it's his 1st time getting over 30 minutes per game.

You know, there's a reason why GSW signed Baron Davis. 10 game losing streak with Fisher as starting PG was enough for me. The roster, for the most part, has been exactly the same.

GS is in the basement Mike with and, without Baron Davis so it would be my guess that the problems in Golden state are and, have been more involved than who starts at the point. Davis could have stayed where he was and, things wouldn't look much different...
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Marbury is having one of his worst seasons ever. Andre Miller scored 20 in the second game against LA.

I also would have liked to have Horry still.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

GS is in the basement Mike with and, without Baron Davis so it would be my guess that the problems in Golden state are and, have been more involved than who starts at the point. Davis could have stayed where he was and, things wouldn't look much different...

I disagree. I still remember why Fisher was sent to the doghouse and BD was acquired, and how much success GSW late last season.

I disagree Fisher has post passing skills.

What bugs me most is, Fisher now in his prime is being compared to Parker who's just finally getting some real legit PT for a change.

Yet, Parker has shown much more this season than Fisher did in 1999.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I disagree. I still remember why Fisher was sent to the doghouse and BD was acquired, and how much success GSW late last season.

I disagree Fisher has post passing skills.

What bugs me most is, Fisher now in his prime is being compared to Parker who's just finally getting some real legit PT for a change.

Yet, Parker has shown much more this season than Fisher did in 1999.

I like Parker and, don't have any issues with him. He'll learn and has skills galore. It isn't fair to compare the two because Fish has seen to much an been through way more. I'm not going there. I do believe that a team of Fish and, Smush would be more efficient than Smush and, Sasha just because they could both learn some valuable things from Fish. When Fish is healthy he can still be very dangerous. This young team would do nothing but benefit with Fish, Kobe and Devean running and, teaching the new kids. If Golden state waives Fisher this summer guess whose coming to dinner in LA?
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Fisher was also one of the best floppers and could hit open shots. He was my favourite player 2001 and before, especially during the Philly Finals.
venicebeach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Fisher is good but his contract is horrible for the Lakers
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

kobekillinu2nite wrote:
Let's trade Mitch!!!!!!!!!!!

God , my man i think u are on too something their , who would take him though....
vakobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Wow! I was on this board a lot when Fisher was actually a Laker and I'd estimate that the anti-Fisher comments outnumbered the pro-Fisher comments by at least 5 to 1. Now everyone wants Mitch's head for letting him go.

I was among the minority who actually liked Fisher when he was here, even before his amazing shot against the Spurs. But there is no way I would have given him the contract that he got from Golden State. It just didn't make sense, and it still doesn't.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
This franchise has ingnored a traditoinal PG since Kobe developped and Phil came along.

1- Phil doesn't like ball dominant PG's.
2- We signed a HOF in Payton - forgot that? - and it didn't work out
3- The chemistry issues with a traditional point and Bryant is always under suspicion
4- Phil's coach and has a huge say on who come's in or not.
5- Baron almost was a Laker last season until they felt that his back wouldn't hold up longterm (coincidentally that was when Phil wasn't coach)

1. yes, agreed upon.

2. yes, agreed upon.

3. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Kobe WOULD LOVE to play with an all-star PG? I dont even understand that RUMOR.

4. yes, agreed upon.

5. News to me...sources??
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: