LAL are paying a high price for not signing Derek Fisher
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:

A huge part of Fisher's d problems were having Shat as a partner on the pick and roll. Don't tell me Paxson or Kerr were better defenders than Fisher is right now. Starting Fish at the 1 this year would have given us at least 6 more wins this year. And he could initiate in the triangle.
Not matching GS's offer for him made sense, but in hindsight we're at least already a 6 seed with him right now. And Kwame's $ would be better off being flushed down a toilet. He and our guards are costing us wins left and right.

Mihm/Bynum
Turiaf/Cook
George/Walton
Kobe/Wafer
Fisher/McKie
We'd have at least 31 wins right now and have Odom's salary to spend.
Just My Opinion.
Mr. Mojo Risin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

novano2004 wrote:
In one of the LAL Dynasty DVD collections one of the LAL assistants said that Derek was the best player who understood the triangle in the LAL team. What does that mean? it means that we lost one of the most valuable players. We cant pay fisher 5.5M but we can pay Kwame 6 or 7M. Man this is stupid.

Yep. Big Mistake.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LAL are paying a high price for not signing Derek Fisher

sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Just_Looking wrote:
KobeButler wrote:
is this the point were we start regreting every single move weve done on the past?

So far someone complained about Mitch trading Payton for Mihm, ect.

Now someone is complaining over not resigning Derek Fisher.

Losing is rotting the mind....

We should of resigned Mark Madsen when we had the chance..

Not sure some of these crybabies HAD a mind to rot.

Allllllright.

If you fellow level-head types are charitable enough to post on this kind of thread...

...I will too.

Done though.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers are paying a high price for tradeing Shaq for???????????????????
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject:

At the time of Fishers contract requests, it was probably not a smart thing to do to sign him. The team was moving in another direction and Phil was not at the helm, thus there was no triangle to run. Now that the tiangle is back, Fisher would help this team alot. Fish always hit open shots (aside from that terrible playoff run he had in '03).
DirtyCache
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Fish had heart and was a solid, solid player. Someone you could count on every night. I would give anything to have that guy back on our team.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Don't tell me Paxson or Kerr were better defenders than Fisher is right now. Starting Fish at the 1 this year would have given us at least 6 more wins this year. And he could initiate in the triangle.

Well, it helps when Pippen defended PGs, and the Bulls even picked up Randy Brown off the bench just to defend PGs well.

What does that say?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
clone
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Fish took the money and ran. He watched out for his family. too bad the lakers couldn;t match.

1949 1950 1952 1953 1954 1972 1980 1982 1985 1987 1988 2000 2001 2002 2009 2010
lakers_less_340+
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Fish made his choice because
a) Payton exercised his option to return
b) They traded Shaq
c) he turned down the Lakers offer
Those were the reasons he was not re-signed

http://www.inq7.net/spo/2004/jul/18/spo_9-1.htm

"But the turmoil in Los Angeles probably caused Fisher to seek a change of scenery, even if it meant signing with a team that already has two point guards -- Nick Van Exel and Speedy Claxton."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5440605/

"I had a big pow-wow with my agents and my attorneys and everybody today," Payton told ESPN radio on Wednesday. "You guys know I came out here to play with Shaq ... and now he's [been] traded. It was a big question in my mind, should I stay here? But, you know, I think I made a commitment. I made them a commitment to come back to the Lakers and I'm going to go and play."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-07-15-roundup_x.htm

"Fisher wanted more playing time next season, and it probably wasn't available in Los Angeles. A day after Payton exercised his $5.4 million option for next season on June 22, Fisher opted out of the final two years of his deal with the Lakers."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1840670

"Fisher, looking to re-establish himself as a starter, apparently crossed the Lakers off his list after Gary Payton announced he would return."

There wasn't much the Lakers could do about Fish. He wanted to be the starter and was willing to take his shot at GS and then, he'll never admit it but I think he regrets leaving LA, they sign Baron Davis and it put him in a bench role. I think had he known that Payton would be traded, he may have stayed, but that is pure speculation on my part.

Last edited by lakers_less_340+ on Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject:

Fish would have been great as a backup for around minimum salary (~$1M for him or whatever it is under the new CBA). At $37M over 5 years? Hell freaking no, not on your damn life.
jlkr42
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject:

Fish made out. So what if he never starts again. He did much better at the money end than he had any right to expect. Not sure he ever accepted the reality that he's not as good as he thinks he is. With the Lakers, he was a very good role player on a series of great teams. But he thought that he was great too by association. Now that he's on a lesser team, he's been exposed for what he is. He was already not starting even before GS got Davis. That alone should tell you something. I'll bet that's one signature Mullin would like to withdraw.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: LAL are paying a high price for not signing Derek Fisher

novano2004 wrote:
Oh now LAL is looking for a PG, thank you. why did not sign Derek fisher then, he knew the system played with kobe. I didnt feel as bad when LAL traded Shaq, but i felt very bad when we lost two players Horry and Fisher. i felt those two were like the glue to this team but Kuptchec(i dont even know how to spell his name and dont really care) did not sign fisher.
Good luck finding another point guard soon (you are the weakest link,,Good bye)

You guys are on crack. This team's problems are on the defensive end. How does a slow-footed 6'1" guard with a penchant for getting opposing players huge contacts (see Mike Bibby) address that need?
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject:

Smel Counts wrote:
Don't tell me Paxson or Kerr were better defenders than Fisher is right now.

Pippen? Jordan? Ron Harper? Randy Brown? All much, much better than Fish.

Quote:

Turiaf/Cook

???

Can Turiaf jump yet? Cook as the only other four?

That lineup would be lucky to not have the worst record in the league, even with Kobe.
Van-Exel26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject:

Oh please, Fisher was just as crappy as Smush is on defense. He's the reason Bibby and Hudson have such huge contracts right now. The Lakers just didn't struggle as badly on defense when they had Fisher because they had Shaq as a defensive anchor and had Fox at the 3 spot. Hell, Fisher couldn't even guard Smush this season .
lakers_less_340+
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject:

Van-Exel26 wrote:
Oh please, Fisher was just as crappy as Smush is on defense. He's the reason Bibby and Hudson have such huge contracts right now. The Lakers just didn't struggle as badly on defense when they had Fisher because they had Shaq as a defensive anchor and had Fox at the 3 spot. Hell, Fisher couldn't even guard Smush this season :lol: :lol: :lol:.

I agree, I also think that people are confusing playing good D with looking like you are playing good D. Fish was a hustler and gave a 110%. Can't say how many times Phil pulled him because of lack of D, but I do recall he had been.

The rumor about the Lakers making a move if they felt it was necessary has them looking for experienced backcourt help, not specifically a PG. So that brings up the name of Eddie Jones, in my opinion.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject:

It's nothing compared to the price they would have paid had they signed him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: