Insurance company has the power to deny ER visit payment to its insured
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Insurance company has the power to deny ER visit payment to its insured

Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield has announced it will not pay for emergency visits in six states — Indiana, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, New Hampshire and Ohio — if the company decides after the fact that patients were not having medical emergencies, even if they thought they were.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

These people are unreal. I had this same experience with them multiple times-- told in advance over the phone that they would cover something, only for the claim to be denied when it was actually filed. I didn't even have a deductible but was still pretty much never even able to use it.

At the start of this year, Anthem ended all their non-business plans in most of California and just canceled everyone's coverage. They felt that they weren't making enough money. $2,777 per MONTH ($33,300 per year) for four people was apparently not enough money for them.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

The real reason our healthcare system is broken.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
The real reason our healthcare system is broken.

Won't be fixed anytime soon. The insurance companies are making way too much money to care.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

That should be illegal.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject:

I am not sure what is new.....insurance companies have denied emergency room coverage if subsequently determined to not be an emergency....well forever. Not to go too far in depth....but I have suffered from migraine headaches since childhood. Through medication, eating habits, etc., I have learned how to control them to a degree through the years....but once every year or so, one will sneak up on me and get out of control. Often once the vomiting...then dry heaving sets in, I have to seek emergency medical treatment....if for nothing else to cease the vomiting/dry heaving to give the pain a chance to diminish. Every time this has happened over the last three decades, the insurance company either questions or outright denies payment initially. The same from United, Aetna, BCBS, Cigna, etc. over the years. It usually requires legwork and appeals....often getting the attending physician to affirm and complete additional paperwork. To date, I have been fortunate to always eventually get services received covered.

It's a pain....but honestly, I get it. I spent a significant part of my career working in health care finance and consulting with both large acute care facilities and insurance companies. Emergency room services are significantly more costly to the provider, and so many individuals utilize them for non-emergency services. There really is two sides to the story....and there is a benefit to all for insurance companies pushing back on truly illegitimate claims....by keeping policy costs lower than they would be if not controlled. There are many problems within the health care system, but one that is not discussed enough is the extreme over utilization of services by American consumers. Visiting the emergency room for urgent care services, seeking medical attention for very mild ailments, etc. is a problem within every socioeconomic class in comparison to other developed countries....and significantly contributes to the high cost of health care in America.

It's true that it often causes issues for legitimate claims....but in my experience both as a patient and on the business side....if the consumer pushes back with legitimate evidence, the service will likely be covered. Hint....Doctors are often much more sympathetic to the patient than the insurance provider and will usually help in any way they can to provide needed documents, statements, etc.....as are the facilities who seek payment and prefer it come from a third party. Never accept an initial denial of payment from an insurance company.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I am not sure what is new.....insurance companies have denied emergency room coverage if subsequently determined to not be an emergency....well forever. Not to go too far in depth....but I have suffered from migraine headaches since childhood. Through medication, eating habits, etc., I have learned how to control them to a degree through the years....but once every year or so, one will sneak up on me and get out of control. Often once the vomiting...then dry heaving sets in, I have to seek emergency medical treatment....if for nothing else to cease the vomiting/dry heaving to give the pain a chance to diminish. Every time this has happened over the last three decades, the insurance company either questions or outright denies payment initially. The same from United, Aetna, BCBS, Cigna, etc. over the years. It usually requires legwork and appeals....often getting the attending physician to affirm and complete additional paperwork. To date, I have been fortunate to always eventually get services received covered.

It's a pain....but honestly, I get it. I spent a significant part of my career working in health care finance and consulting with both large acute care facilities and insurance companies. Emergency room services are significantly more costly to the provider, and so many individuals utilize them for non-emergency services. There really is two sides to the story....and there is a benefit to all for insurance companies pushing back on truly illegitimate claims....by keeping policy costs lower than they would be if not controlled. There are many problems within the health care system, but one that is not discussed enough is the extreme over utilization of services by American consumers. Visiting the emergency room for urgent care services, seeking medical attention for very mild ailments, etc. is a problem within every socioeconomic class in comparison to other developed countries....and significantly contributes to the high cost of health care in America.

It's true that it often causes issues for legitimate claims....but in my experience both as a patient and on the business side....if the consumer pushes back with legitimate evidence, the service will likely be covered. Hint....Doctors are often much more sympathetic to the patient than the insurance provider and will usually help in any way they can to provide needed documents, statements, etc.....as are the facilities who seek payment and prefer it come from a third party. Never accept an initial denial of payment from an insurance company.

And that's illegal:

Quote:
congressional bill in 1995: national prudent layperson standard, applied to Medicare and Medicaid in 1997.

A "prudent layperson" has been defined in the law as one who possesses an average knowledge of health and medicine, and the standard establishes the criteria that insurance coverage is based not on ultimate diagnosis, but on whether a prudent person might anticipate serious impairment to his or her health in an emergency situation.

Now that affordable care act has been 'dismantled', we'll see if this law is still enforcable
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:

And that's illegal:

Quote:
congressional bill in 1995: national prudent layperson standard, applied to Medicare and Medicaid in 1997.

A "prudent layperson" has been defined in the law as one who possesses an average knowledge of health and medicine, and the standard establishes the criteria that insurance coverage is based not on ultimate diagnosis, but on whether a prudent person might anticipate serious impairment to his or her health in an emergency situation.

Now that affordable care act has been 'dismantled', we'll see if this law is still enforcable

that regulation does not in any way make a claim denial illegal, nor is it related to the ACA. My diagnosis was a headache.....but the support provided by the physician/facility of the extreme nature of the symptoms gave context to a diagnosis that would normally be considered non-emergency.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:

Isn't that just part of the trade-off of having insurance? You allow them to dictate what healthcare you receive and by who you receive it.

I wonder if they include 24-hour urgent care places in that though. I feel like those have popped up on every corner, like Starbucks.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Isn't that just part of the trade-off of having insurance? You allow them to dictate what healthcare you receive and by who you receive it.

I wonder if they include 24-hour urgent care places in that though. I feel like those have popped up on every corner, like Starbucks.

urgent care visit is a different billing code than ER visit
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

most plans....or all that I have seen define urgent care differently than emergency care.....different/lower co-pay, and less restricted on coverage.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

For Anthem, I had a $60 co-pay for urgent care. But the urgent care walk-in fee was only $80 cash, so it really didn't help much.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
governator wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

For Anthem, I had a $60 co-pay for urgent care. But the urgent care walk-in fee was only $80 cash, so it really didn't help much.

yeah, the urgent care clinic cash fee is set by the clinic but the insurance co-pay/billing re-imbursement is set by the agreement by the clinic-insurance company
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

I used an urgent care place last year, when I was traveling. Didn't pay a walk-in fee. Never got a notice from my insurance that they had covered it. Strange how that works.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I used an urgent care place last year, when I was traveling. Didn't pay a walk-in fee. Never got a notice from my insurance that they had covered it. Strange how that works.

So you paid nothing at all?... How?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

I have Kaiser. If I call 911 and taken to the nearest urgent care facility the facility bills Kaiser and Kaiser pays the bill. I don't know how it works if I'm not in California.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Unicorns.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I have Kaiser. If I call 911 and taken to the nearest urgent care facility the facility bills Kaiser and Kaiser pays the bill. I don't know how it works if I'm not in California.

i like Kaiser feel they got a handle on delivering healthcare iono mostly have had them
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

i like Kaiser feel they got a handle on delivering healthcare iono mostly have had them

(bleep) Kaiser the horror stories are legion and that's just the one I knew from personal contact.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ani007 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

(bleep) Kaiser the horror stories are legion and that's just the one I knew from personal contact.

What horror stories?

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ani007 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What horror stories?

How about my next door neighbor his brother went to Kaiser had to have a testicle removed . Yeah you got it they removed the wrong one.

I took my friend to Kaiser in Baldwin Park because he thought he was having a heart attack. He wa s under the care of a Kaiser cardiologist. Went with him to the ER and there was a line of about 200 people ahead of him with about 50 in line to get to the nurse for triage. I worked my way to the front of the line and explained the situation. After much demanding and angry word they took him in. After a few minutes he came out and they sent him to urgent care about 75 meters away. No wheel chair nothi g walk over buddy heart attack or what ever who cares. So we go over there same thing long ass line d a room full of people. After the same with me having to demand he be seen he was moved to the front of the line. And finally seen by a doctor who checked him out and told him you probably did have a heart attack. You can see your cardiologist probably in 2 or 3 weeks. No aspirin, no blood thinners nothing, oh and don't forget your co payment.

Well we walked out of that place I was fuming. By that time my friends wife was home and she took him to Queen of the Valley and sure enough he had a minor heart attack. They gave him some nitro and that cleared his pain. Admitted him and put him on blood thinners overnight. When it came time to pay Kaiser did not want to pay for the second opinion. Luckily for my friend his wife was an agent for the California Department of Justice specializing in medical fraud. She marched him down to the head administrator and demanded a meeting. When told he was busy she flashed her badge and wow he was available. Short story Kaiser paid the bill and he didn't pay his co pay. But everyone doesn't have a wife that works for the California Dept. of justice.

There's more but I'm tired of typing.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Unicorns.

Yep. Had X-Rays, got some crutches and prescription for some pain pills too. Meanwhile if I take my kid in for a flu shot I get a 4-page description of the visit.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

I used an urgent care last year too after I fell and opened myself up a bit on a piece of metal sticking out of the floor on the unfinished side of my basement. Did a couple tests, got a tetanus shot, and a few months later a note from my insurance that they covered the cost 100%. Nothing out of pocket.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/11/health/aetna-california-investigation/index.html

(CNN)California's insurance commissioner has launched an investigation into Aetna after learning a former medical director for the insurer admitted under oath he never looked at patients' records when deciding whether to approve or deny care.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

actually the bolded is discussed a lot. we know the public runs to the ER too much. Why is that?

Who in here wants to run to the ER? I know I dont.

Who in their right mind would WANT /DESIRE to want to run to the ER? No one i know. but it still happens. WHY?

#1 If you can't afford proper insurance, the only place you're going to run to is the ER if something hits you and you try to soldier it out and realize you can't you need to get checked out. you dont have a PCP.

#2. Urgent Care isnt open so ER it is.

#3. If they took proper care of you post surgery, post hospital visit the first time. You wouldnt have ended up in ER so soon after you've been released. They hurried you out the door post hospital stay/surgery. they should've kept you for longer and monitor you to make sure you were on track for a full recovery. this would've also helped get your regimen going with how to take care of yourself once you get back home.

#4. people dont go to the doctor for their often enough to get checked out so they can catch things early and that can skip an emergency room and go on ahead and put you into something more specific for your situation.
but a lot of #4 has to do with #1 and/or affordability. That copay/coins/ded is too high for you to keep paying. The Rx's are to high for you to keep paying. So you basically wait til you're on your death bed to go see a doctor and thats usually the ER.

There are other factors of course. but these are the obvious main reasons.

#4 would not be the case if healthcare was more affordable for all. It would change our culture. If you grow up watching your mom and dad going to get check ups regularly. You too will most likely follow in their foot steps once you become an adult, wash, rinse, repeat. If you grow up watching mom maybe go a bit more often then dad. and dad never going because its too expensive. Then odds are you the guy that grows into a man wont go.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: