WOW! TJ Simers is brutal with Phil Jackson!!!

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: WOW! TJ Simers is brutal with Phil Jackson!!!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers16feb16,1,3350374.column?page=1&coll=la-headlines-sports

He Tries, but Jackson Just Can't Take a Compliment
February 16, 2006
latimes.com : Sports
T.J. Simers:

Phil Jackson has let it be known that he thinks I'm too negative, and like you, I have no idea where he'd get an idea like that.

I know some people in town who would make a big deal out of the Lakers choking, gagging and collapsing against hapless Atlanta on Wednesday night, but my inclination here is to not even mention it.

That's why I'm not sure where Phil is coming from these days. I would think a guy who begins every day chanting and getting in touch with his inner whatever would roll with things better, but I got to thinking that maybe it's my fault, standing next to Vic the Brick at every news conference and coming off sounding negative by way of comparison.

So before Wednesday night's choking, gagging and collapsing pratfall against Atlanta, there was no sign of Brick, giving me the chance to cozy up to Phil.

"You've won more than 800 games in your career," I said. "You're brilliant, on top of the game like no one else," and Phil interrupted me.

"See," he said to the other reporters at the pregame gathering, "he has to throw out insults like that. Now, T.J., don't be starting that (bad stuff)."

"Just trying to be positive," I said.

"That's not positive," Phil said. "That's insulting."

Apparently I can't win, and who knew I might have something in common with the Lakers. (Sorry, an old negative habit.)

I told Phil, "I'm giving you credit, you've got the best record in postseason play," and he interrupted again.

"And as a prolific writer and a guy with an urbane kind of wit that loves to pen things that are so scintillating in the paper," he said, and I think he was mocking me, "what do you have to say?"

I wanted to know how he knew I was a prolific writer, because, "you said you don't read (Page 2)."

"You're right," Phil said, and he laughed and so did all the other reporters, and it's a good thing I'm not bothered by people who go out of their way to make others feel badly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE PLAYERS, as I read in the paper, told Phil they are underachieving — then prove it against Atlanta. Most fans, though, contend it's Kobe Bryant playing with a bunch of stiffs. So given Phil's experience, I wanted to know if he thought the fans were right, or this team was better?

"If we take advantage of our homestand, we could be a surprising team at the end of the year," he said, which was before the Underachievers' choking, gasping, collapsing performance against Atlanta.

"You've developed so many great players in your career, and done such a great job with young players," I said, and he interrupted with another bad word and a roll of his eyes as though he thought I was pulling his leg.

"I just marvel at the way you've developed young players, so what can you do with Kwame Brown?" I continued. "Most people in town don't think Brown is going to amount to anything. Do you agree or disagree?"

"I'm not going to answer that question," Phil said. "Agree or disagree, when did you stop beating your wife? … It's a situation where a guy has to find some successful experiences to build on, and that's where we are."

I don't want to sound negative, but asking the best coach in NBA history to project whether one of his Underachievers is going to amount to something doesn't seem like too much to ask. I hope I don't have to start dressing like Brick.

"You may have misunderstood my question," I said. "Do you think there will be a time when Kwame is a legitimate player you can consistently count on?"

"I'll make no comment," Phil said. "I don't want to venture a guess."

Phil recently gave Brown "Sacred Hoops," one of his earlier books before taking to ripping the players he had coached — watch out, Kwame — and someone wanted to know if he had checked with Brown to see if he had read it.

"I should have asked him," Phil said, but I'm sure he was busy teaching Brown how to dribble or something.

"You've answered every challenge in your career," I said, and I thought about saying, "feeling you, Phil," but he'd already dropped a bad word on me twice.

"Aren't Lamar Odom and Brown a test by which you might be measured here in your return, or whatever you called it, and by the way, it was great whatever you called it."

"What happens to the team is the most important thing," he said, and I said, I know that, "but you are a great teacher, Phil…. "

He interrupted again. "I thought I was a great motivator," he said, and I let him know I was going to get to that, but he said, "that's all," and walked away — ending everything on a negative note.

And that was before the Underachievers' choking, gagging, collapsing pratfall against Atlanta, and you try to be positive after something like that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'LL TELL you how far Michael Eisner has fallen. Someone gave him courtside Laker tickets. For the Atlanta game. And he used them.

Last edited by iml84myd8s on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

Who are the editors of the LA Times? He or she is letting TJ use the paper to fight his battle.

Wow!
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

Man, it would not be the time I would want to hear that (bleep)...

Jax should have done a Larry Bird and walked...
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

A great coach can only do so much...I give you exhibits A, B, and C: Larry Brown. Odom and Kwame's reputations precede them and it's not difficult to see why. Their demeanor to the game isn't something that can be corrected overnight...even by the most experienced therapists.
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject:

Underachievers' choking, gagging, collapsing pratfall

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: WOW! TJ Simers is brutal with Phil Jackson!!!

iml84myd8s wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers16feb16,1,3350374.column?page=1&coll=la-headlines-sports

He Tries, but Jackson Just Can't Take a Compliment
February 16, 2006
latimes.com : Sports
T.J. Simers:

"You've answered every challenge in your career," I said, and I thought about saying, "feeling you, Phil," but he'd already dropped a bad word on me twice.

TJ is the greatest!
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

TJ sounds like a scorned woman, he actually sounds like my ex
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:

i found TJ to be disrespectful to phil in that interview. and thats hardly the first time.
Lionel The Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:

TJ is pointing his anger to the wrong person. His "other interview" is who he should be dogging.
NoHarmNoFoul
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:

Very strange article.

Who will you aim your irrational anger at then?"
-PopcornMachine
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

This is what Simers does guys. I used to get really annoyed with his columns until I figured out that he is an equal opportunity basher. It's no big deal if you just take it for what it's worth. Besides, I wouldn't worry too much...Dodger season is creeping back-up again and then he can focus all of his energies on Jeff Kent and the McCourts.

To be honest, I think he is breaking new ground in sports reporting and I find his column the only thing worth reading now in the LA Times Sports section.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
This is what Simers does guys. I used to get really annoyed with his columns until I figured out that he is an equal opportunity basher. It's no big deal if you just take it for what it's worth. Besides, I wouldn't worry too much...Dodger season is creeping back-up again and then he can focus all of his energies on Jeff Kent and the McCourts.

To be honest, I think he is breaking new ground in sports reporting and I find his column the only thing worth reading now in the LA Times Sports section.

I agree - at first I found Simmers kinda off-putting, but I've come to enjoy the column. This is really nothing compared to how he's torched the Dodgers in recent years. And of course, the Dodgers have deserved it.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

I didn't read it yet. But Phil is getting paid 10 million to do a crappy job, he's fair game as far as I'm concerned.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:

I don't read articles from writers who don't have a college education. TJ Simers is a bottom feeder.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

Phil isn't doing a great job overall.

He's doing good at keeping the team atmosphere alive despite all the one man shows - BUT he's not developping these players.

And if he's a great motivator - I don't see it this season. The team lacks passion and at many times doesn't have fire. That's what a great coach and motivator does. He brings out the intensity and fire outta players.

Season's not over though - Phil ussually unleashes new things in the 2nd half of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

TJ Simers is an @$$&o!=
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject:

Sidious wrote:
I didn't read it yet. But Phil is getting paid 10 million to do a crappy job, he's fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Ouch! Harsh? Brutal? Truth?

Perhaps, harsh brutal truth?
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject:

It ain't over till the fat lady sings and, the woman is still sitting quietly. Put TJ's name down with the rest of the nonbelievers to be punished later...
venicebeach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:

I think PJ is a great motivator and I hope he'll see it in the second half of the season
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: