Do you consider DUIs to be a serious crime?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How big of a deal do you think a first time DUI should be?
The offender is a scumbag and should be in jail. Full-fledged felony level offense.
36%
 36%  [ 11 ]
Low-tier felon status for offender and large fine, but no jail time.
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
High-tier misdemeanor. No felon status or jail time, but large fine.
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
Regular misdemeanor with no felon status, jail time, or large fine.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Low-tier misdemeanor.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not even a misdemeanor-- basically a couple of steps above a speeding ticket.
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 30

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Do you consider DUIs to be a serious crime?

The other day, I was in a grocery store and the grocery bagger was talking to the clerk about how he had one and what a hassle it was. Then another customer chimed it and started talking about how he had one too and how much it sucked, as if it were a speeding ticket.

Why aren't these people in jail? I feel like DUI should be treated as a minor felony on the first offense and then a mid-tier one for the second time. It's definitely worse than something like shoplifting.

Note that the poll is asking how you think it should be treated or how you personally view it, not how the state of California actually views it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

No jail time. Large fine, licence suspension, 10 year probation. Traffic school. Mandatory MADD 1 day seminar. After a DUI conviction if you're stopped with alcohol on your breath, do not pass go, go straight to jail.

Got a DUI 0.9. If you ever go to a MADD seminar, see the hurt, pain and devastation caused by a DUI death, you won't get behind the wheel if you've been drinking.

It's been 17 years and I still don't drink and drive. 1 beer causes me to wait at least 1 hour before I get behind the wheel.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

yes, treacherous.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

yeah, these fools haven't seen bad shaped victims of DUI... it'll make you think a millionth times before not calling uber
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

So the only option if you feel it is not a misdemeanor, is the one where you also have to call them a scumbag??

I picked full-fledged felony, but some people aren’t scumbags. Some people might register 0.08 just at the legal limit and some might register 0.07 while others 0.14.

If you’re up in the double digit range, thats really bad and entering scumbag territory.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Why would you not take serious something that can result in the death of innocent people?
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject:

"Is that a trick question" *Stephen A. Smith voice*, DUI people kill people, lives cut short, families separated, why should be considered anything less than a scumbag. I mean unless you all value the life of a human being less, then i dont know what to tell you.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:

I don't think I'm a scumbag. I wasn't staggering drunk, I was buzzed. Buzz driving is drunk driving. I'm going to assume many here in the forum have had one to many and gotten behind the wheel and not been stopped.

My misstep was after a Laker loss. I was at a friends. After the game he put on some hot wings. I had four beers. I should have taken his advice and waited to drive home. I didn't, was stopped. I passed the sobriety walking test, failed the breathalyzer. I blew 0.9. Honestly I thought I should have been allowed to go home. I was 3 blocks from my house and I'd passed the heel to toe test. My neighbor was passing by, the officer allowed him to drive my car home.

Overnight in the drunk tank is humiliating. People hurling and it takes forever to get it cleaned up. I vaguely remember them making the person who hurled, clean it up.

I was fortunate. When I went to court I talked to the prosecutor, told him my story about the Lakers game and passing the heel to toe. He had my driving record. I hadn't had a moving violation in over 43 years, I mentioned that to the prosecutor. I don't know how far back they look. He took my record into consideration I got off light.

Some violators got 6mo, and a hefty fine, in the $2, 3 thousand dollars range, 10 years probation. Some got fined, 12 sessions of traffic school and 10 years probation. I got a $400.00 dollar fine, 1 session at MADD, 6 sessions of traffic school and 10 years probation. I think 10 probation is automatic. Haven't had a jay walking ticket since and I don't drink and drive.

The gruesome accidents they showed at MADD sickened me. Mothers of children killed by drunk drivers spoke, it was heart wrenching.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Wait until California starts having an increase of tickets, accidents and deaths as a result of people driving under the influence of legal pot...
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Don't say "yes" when the cop question you if you've been drinking tonight. If he say "step out of the car" and don't. Just tell the cop you refuse to do any "test," say "Take me to jail or let me go." Refuse to blow. Then stop talking. If arrested, don't bond out, wait till the jail arraignment and get PRT or ROR, meaning you're getting out for free. The bad thing about refusing to blow, is DMV will suspend your driver's license automatically for a year but you can appeal it but there's many ways to get around DMV to get your license unsuspended or at least limited so you can drive.

Then make an appointment with your public defender and discuss about options like some pre-trail diversion program that will amend the DUI charge to a lesser charge like reckless driving with adjudication withheld. Though, you have to give out a written admission of guilt of that DUI charge and comply with their program which cost money.

If you didn't make an appointment, go to pre-trial, set it for trial. At trial, if the cop doesn't show up, case drop - nolle pros.

If the cop shows up: tell the judge "Motion for continuance" and give a lame excuse for it like "I didn't talk to my public defender" or whatever it is. If not, the DA might/will/most likely offer PTD if you're a first-time offender.

Though there's more ways to go once in trial. I advise it works in large metropolitan areas with high crime rate and DUI arrests. So, don't bother driving drunk in counties with small populations or a lot of rich old white people like Orange County or Broward County.

DUI is usually not a serious crime and fairly common among the likes of petit charge and domestic violence. But it's a big misdemeanor, a pain-in-the-ass to get out due to medium-high cost and media-driven to distort the public view. So, overall, just don't drink and drive.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

10-year probation? For a misdemeanor? (bleep) that. Just give me 364 and gain time.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I don't think I'm a scumbag. I wasn't staggering drunk, I was buzzed. Buzz driving is drunk driving. I'm going to assume many here in the forum have had one to many and gotten behind the wheel and not been stopped.

My misstep was after a Laker loss. I was at a friends. After the game he put on some hot wings. I had four beers. I should have taken his advice and waited to drive home. I didn't, was stopped. I passed the sobriety walking test, failed the breathalyzer. I blew 0.9. Honestly I thought I should have been allowed to go home. I was 3 blocks from my house and I'd passed the heel to toe test. My neighbor was passing by, the officer allowed him to drive my car home.

Overnight in the drunk tank is humiliating. People hurling and it takes forever to get it cleaned up. I vaguely remember them making the person who hurled, clean it up.

I was fortunate. When I went to court I talked to the prosecutor, told him my story about the Lakers game and passing the heel to toe. He had my driving record. I hadn't had a moving violation in over 43 years, I mentioned that to the prosecutor. I don't know how far back they look. He took my record into consideration I got off light.

Some violators got 6mo, and a hefty fine, in the $2, 3 thousand dollars range, 10 years probation. Some got fined, 12 sessions of traffic school and 10 years probation. I got a $400.00 dollar fine, 1 session at MADD, 6 sessions of traffic school and 10 years probation. I think 10 probation is automatic. Haven't had a jay walking ticket since and I don't drink and drive.

The gruesome accidents they showed at MADD sickened me. Mothers of children killed by drunk drivers spoke, it was heart wrenching.

im trying to not generalize but people get hurt, killed because of irresponsibility by one person

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
10-year probation? For a misdemeanor? (bleep) that. Just give me 364 and gain time.

The probation only applies to driving. If you're stopped with alcohol on your breath and you've had a DUI in the past 10 years the officer has a legal right to take you to jail. I think after 10 it drops off of your record.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
jodeke wrote:

im trying to not generalize but people get hurt, killed because of irresponsibility by one person

I agree. I'm not excusing my behavior. When you're buzzed your reflexes are affected. I learned my lesson. If I'm at a friends or a party I stop consuming alcohol at least 1 hour before getting behind the wheel. When out I drink socially. MADD changed my way of thinking,.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Don't say "yes" when the cop question you if you've been drinking tonight. If he say "step out of the car" and don't. Just tell the cop you refuse to do any "test," say "Take me to jail or let me go." Refuse to blow. Then stop talking. If arrested, don't bond out, wait till the jail arraignment and get PRT or ROR, meaning you're getting out for free. The bad thing about refusing to blow, is DMV will suspend your driver's license automatically for a year but you can appeal it but there's many ways to get around DMV to get your license unsuspended or at least limited so you can drive.

Then make an appointment with your public defender and discuss about options like some pre-trail diversion program that will amend the DUI charge to a lesser charge like reckless driving with adjudication withheld. Though, you have to give out a written admission of guilt of that DUI charge and comply with their program which cost money.

If you didn't make an appointment, go to pre-trial, set it for trial. At trial, if the cop doesn't show up, case drop - nolle pros.

If the cop shows up: tell the judge "Motion for continuance" and give a lame excuse for it like "I didn't talk to my public defender" or whatever it is. If not, the DA might/will/most likely offer PTD if you're a first-time offender.

Though there's more ways to go once in trial. I advise it works in large metropolitan areas with high crime rate and DUI arrests. So, don't bother driving drunk in counties with small populations or a lot of rich old white people like Orange County or Broward County.

DUI is usually not a serious crime and fairly common among the likes of petit charge and domestic violence. But it's a big misdemeanor, a pain-in-the-ass to get out due to medium-high cost and media-driven to distort the public view. So, overall, just don't drink and drive.

Thanks for the informative advice. Hopefully I never have to use it.

I try not to drink and drive. I always use Uber if I know I'll be drinking ahead of time.
When I do drink and drive, cruise control is my best friend. I don't smoke, roll down the windows, or play loud music either. Just 10 and 2, complete focus on the road ahead of me.

You're so right about the difference in non metropolitan areas. My buddy learned the hard way when he was pulled over in Ventura county as opposed to LA county.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

I live 2 blocks from Staples Center. Don't take Figueroa north from LA live if you've been drinking. They set up a DUI checkpoint there especially on game nights and weekends. Right after the main traffic lets out.

Once you pass Olympic (driving north on Fig) it turns into a 1 way street. And cops always set up a DUI stop a block down. Alot of people go that way to use the 8th street entrance onto the 110. If you've been drinking after a Laker game or on the weekend. Don't go that way. Just stay on Olympic or head south.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject:

As a general rule, I don’t like the concept of a felony without an actual victim, but the capacity for creating victims and the need to keep people from doing it requires a stiff penalty. It just needs to be a deterrent vs a cash cow.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Conker wrote:

The probation only applies to driving. If you're stopped with alcohol on your breath and you've had a DUI in the past 10 years the officer has a legal right to take you to jail. I think after 10 it drops off of your record.

If the police officer smells alcohol on your breath, you're going to jail no matter what.

My advice, if you did drink lightly like 2 beers or some rum & Coke and it's been like an hour or two, and get pull-over, and all that good procedure, take the breathalyzer and blow. You're going to jail no matter what but at least the case against you will be dropped.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Fwiw, most states didn’t drop dui from .1 to .08 based on a study of impairment, but rather because they were having to turn too many cash cows loose. Just so people understand the parameters, .1 is the average blood alcohol after 1 hour for 1 drink for an average sized male. .08 is approximately an hour and fifteen to twenty minutes after one drink.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
You're so right about the difference in non metropolitan areas. My buddy learned the hard way when he was pulled over in Ventura county as opposed to LA county.

If you're going to commit a crime, do it in LA, Dade or Wayne County.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Fwiw, most states didn’t drop dui from .1 to .08 based on a study of impairment, but rather because they were having to turn too many cash cows loose. Just so people understand the parameters, .1 is the average blood alcohol after 1 hour for 1 drink for an average sized male. .08 is approximately an hour and fifteen to twenty minutes after one drink.

I was in the bar business at the time of the change in California and can confirm this take on the issue.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I was in the bar business at the time of the change in California and can confirm this take on the issue.

Wait... So just one drink is enough to be over the legal limit? How do you explain charts like these, which say you can have up to four over an extended period of time and still be under the limit?

http://www.brad21.org/bac_charts.html

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject:

I misspoke a little I meant that one drink per hour is the limit, and more can put you in jeopardy of blowing a .1. But the point stands that the change to .08 was mostly related to too many “near misses”.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

That's a great point. The justice system, or should I say, the Just-Us system is simply a huge cash cow for the govt, attorneys, DAs and politicians, not to mention another excuse for cops to go on a power trip.

Personally, if they were no injuries, deaths or property damage as a result, and especially if the suspect has no priors, I think DUI should be a misdemeanor with just a sizable fine and no jail time. I'm really starting to question if automatically sending people to jail for low level crimes and even some minor felonies or wobblers is the best way to deal with them. Do convicts really learn their lesson by being incarcerated? When they get out, are they motivated to make some changes, or are they angry because The Man has labeled them as a failure and go on to commit another crime?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Conker wrote:

If the police officer smells alcohol on your breath, you're going to jail no matter what.

My advice, if you did drink lightly like 2 beers or some rum & Coke and it's been like an hour or two, and get pull-over, and all that good procedure, take the breathalyzer and blow. You're going to jail no matter what but at least the case against you will be dropped.

Not necessarily. The officer has the legal right to take you to jail if you have a DUI on your record. This is what they tell you in driving school class you have to attend if you're given a DUI. Unless you have a quota seeking officer I guess if you blow .1 he/she will let you go.

By the By, rum and coke use to be my drink of choice. I drank cuba libre tall. If I wasn't driving I drank cuba libre tall 151.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: