Do you consider DUIs to be a serious crime?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How big of a deal do you think a first time DUI should be?
The offender is a scumbag and should be in jail. Full-fledged felony level offense.
36%
 36%  [ 11 ]
Low-tier felon status for offender and large fine, but no jail time.
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
High-tier misdemeanor. No felon status or jail time, but large fine.
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
Regular misdemeanor with no felon status, jail time, or large fine.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Low-tier misdemeanor.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not even a misdemeanor-- basically a couple of steps above a speeding ticket.
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 30

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Conker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Conker wrote:
10-year probation? For a misdemeanor? (bleep) that. Just give me 364 and gain time.

The probation only applies to driving. If you're stopped with alcohol on your breath and you've had a DUI in the past 10 years the officer has a legal right to take you to jail. I think after 10 it drops off of your record.

If the police officer smells alcohol on your breath, you're going to jail no matter what.

My advice, if you did drink lightly like 2 beers or some rum & Coke and it's been like an hour or two, and get pull-over, and all that good procedure, take the breathalyzer and blow. You're going to jail no matter what but at least the case against you will be dropped.

Not necessarily. The officer has the legal right to take you to jail if you have a DUI on your record. This is what they tell you in driving school class you have to attend if you're given a DUI. Unless you have a quota seeking officer I guess if you blow .1 he/she will let you go.

By the By, rum and coke use to be my drink of choice. I drank cuba libre tall. If I wasn't driving I drank cuba libre tall 151.

How old are you to have had a 43 year clean driving record and then 17 years after?... That would make you a minimum of 76.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Conker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Conker wrote:
10-year probation? For a misdemeanor? (bleep) that. Just give me 364 and gain time.

The probation only applies to driving. If you're stopped with alcohol on your breath and you've had a DUI in the past 10 years the officer has a legal right to take you to jail. I think after 10 it drops off of your record.

If the police officer smells alcohol on your breath, you're going to jail no matter what.

My advice, if you did drink lightly like 2 beers or some rum & Coke and it's been like an hour or two, and get pull-over, and all that good procedure, take the breathalyzer and blow. You're going to jail no matter what but at least the case against you will be dropped.

Not necessarily. The officer has the legal right to take you to jail if you have a DUI on your record. This is what they tell you in driving school class you have to attend if you're given a DUI. Unless you have a quota seeking officer I guess if you blow .1 he/she will let you go.

By the By, rum and coke use to be my drink of choice. I drank cuba libre tall. If I wasn't driving I drank cuba libre tall 151.

How old are you to have had a 43 year clean driving record and then 17 years after?... That would make you a minimum of 76.

A chosen few here in the forum know my age. How old are you?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

according to BAC charts the typical guy can have 3-4 drinks and still have a BAC low enough to legally drive immediately... so a cop will still arrest you?
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

Hell yeah.

Let me tell you, I've met a guy in the holding cell. He told me that he was in for a DUI. His story was that he only drank 2 beers at his brother's place and got pulled over 2 hours later. The guy said he took the breathalyzer after the officer told him sarcastically "You don't have to blow if you don't to. So later, I've met him again at the county courthouse and he said that they dropped the DUI charge because he was below the legal limit.

So yeah, the cop will arrest you if he/she smells the alcohol in your breath. But yes, depending on the cops. If it's a women, a rookie or by-the-book-type, you're going to jail.

Remember, jail is no big deal.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

then if thats the case then there's may have been times I could have been arrested and never knew it. I will no longer indiscriminately judge people who were arrested for DUI suspicion.
If you drunk yourself to the point of being visibly drunk where you fail a field test then 0 sympathy... you deserve punishment.
If you are under the BAC limit and can act sober yet an overzealous cop still arrests you then thats an entirely different story.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
according to BAC charts the typical guy can have 3-4 drinks and still have a BAC low enough to legally drive immediately... so a cop will still arrest you?

My remembrances of my court appearance recalls the judge saying if you're stopped with alcohol on your breath and you have a DUI on your record within the 10 year probation period the officer can legally arrest you and impound your vehicle.

This is not mandatory, it's officer discretion. If you're stopped by a cop with a attitude put your hands behind your back. I believe most officers will let you slide if you pass the field sobriety tests.

This is applied to people with DUI's on their record. You can record a BAC of .1 and be in violation of your probation if you have a DUI conviction on your record. A DUI removes you from the norm. The punishment is sever. It's severity is to deter drinking and driving. In my case it worked.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Hell yeah.

Let me tell you, I've met a guy in the holding cell. He told me that he was in for a DUI. His story was that he only drank 2 beers at his brother's place and got pulled over 2 hours later. The guy said he took the breathalyzer after the officer told him sarcastically "You don't have to blow if you don't to. So later, I've met him again at the county courthouse and he said that they dropped the DUI charge because he was below the legal limit.

So yeah, the cop will arrest you if he/she smells the alcohol in your breath. But yes, depending on the cops. If it's a women, a rookie or by-the-book-type, you're going to jail.

Jail is definitely a big deal.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

in this thread: people who like to drink and drive
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject:

Fiend of mine was killed by a drunk driver, so to me it’s a serious thing.

It’s both selfish and stupid. Selfish because there are other users of the road who you might endanger with your decision. Stupid because you know the potential consequences - is your license worth less to you than the cost of a cab home? Is it worth carrying the guilt if you hurt someone or even worse kill someone?

Don’t do it people, just not worth it.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject:

Yes even though I have drove in the past when I shoudn't so it's hard for me to judge thoses that are """""unfortunate""""' (don't take it the wrong way) to get caught or get into an accident and eventually even take a life. They are basically who I was and have done the same mistakes I did. The only difference is that they either got caught or got into an accident but we're guilty of the same act.

I was young and an idiot and fortunately I've caused no harm to anybody but I realise I could have.

Then I lost my father in a car accident (he was just a passenger and we don't really know why the car suddenly went to the right on the highway and eventually hit a service car that was stopped on the sideline) and I've never drunk and drove again.
rokobe81
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Hell yeah.

this is just wrong. There were cases of people arrested with .000
the field sobriety tests are made to fail people. The lawyers tell people not to take them. It's insane... What are we really doing?
We are living in 21st century and we are still doing things like that? Numbers don't lie and the only number that matters in these cases is the level of alcohol in your blood.

I never drink and I don't smoke(weed nor cigarettes) but my worst nightmare is that I might be arrested for DUI just because I have glassy eyes(from yawning)
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:

It’s both selfish and stupid. Selfish because there are other users of the road who you might endanger with your decision. Stupid because you know the potential consequences - is your license worth less to you than the cost of a cab home? Is it worth carrying the guilt if you hurt someone or even worse kill someone?

In this day and age with Uber/Lyft being so damn cheap there's no excuse for it. Costs around $5 bucks to go a couple of miles to a bar.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Moses wrote:

In this day and age with Uber/Lyft being so damn cheap there's no excuse for it. Costs around $5 bucks to go a couple of miles to a bar.

Yup but I'd argue that there wasn't ever really an excuse even before cheap rideshare.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Don't say "yes" when the cop question you if you've been drinking tonight. If he say "step out of the car" and don't. Just tell the cop you refuse to do any "test," say "Take me to jail or let me go." Refuse to blow. Then stop talking. If arrested, don't bond out, wait till the jail arraignment and get PRT or ROR, meaning you're getting out for free. The bad thing about refusing to blow, is DMV will suspend your driver's license automatically for a year but you can appeal it but there's many ways to get around DMV to get your license unsuspended or at least limited so you can drive.

Then make an appointment with your public defender and discuss about options like some pre-trail diversion program that will amend the DUI charge to a lesser charge like reckless driving with adjudication withheld. Though, you have to give out a written admission of guilt of that DUI charge and comply with their program which cost money.

If you didn't make an appointment, go to pre-trial, set it for trial. At trial, if the cop doesn't show up, case drop - nolle pros.

If the cop shows up: tell the judge "Motion for continuance" and give a lame excuse for it like "I didn't talk to my public defender" or whatever it is. If not, the DA might/will/most likely offer PTD if you're a first-time offender.

Though there's more ways to go once in trial. I advise it works in large metropolitan areas with high crime rate and DUI arrests. So, don't bother driving drunk in counties with small populations or a lot of rich old white people like Orange County or Broward County.

DUI is usually not a serious crime and fairly common among the likes of petit charge and domestic violence. But it's a big misdemeanor, a pain-in-the-ass to get out due to medium-high cost and media-driven to distort the public view. So, overall, just don't drink and drive.

Or better yet, don’t be a dumbass and drink and drive. It is a crime of stupidity and I have no symphony for ignorant people who do it and get caught. Big fine, suspended license and public service is a fitting punishment for a first offense. Jail time for a second offense. If we can’t work the price of a cab into our evening, we don’t go out. Since we have kids who drive our vehicles, we don’t even need a cab these days.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
As a general rule, I don’t like the concept of a felony without an actual victim, but the capacity for creating victims and the need to keep people from doing it requires a stiff penalty. It just needs to be a deterrent vs a cash cow.

No doubt it is a cash cow and it wouldn’t surprise me if cops get “points” for DUI arrests. I was a DD, hadn’t drank a drop but was transporting some trashed friends. They were loud at a restaurant and the cops were called. I was pulled over and after the breath test the cop determined that the unit wasn’t working. They took me to jail and did a blood test. It came back as 0.08 so I got an attorney and sent it to another lab. It came back as 0 so the charges were dropped and my attorney got my license back. The cops lied and the State lab lied. At least that $1,000 was a get out of jury duty for life payment. If the cops are involved I have no issues telling the judge that they are all liars and that is how I would approach a trial.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

Since I've had kids I now view them as scumbags. No need to put my family in danger over something preventable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: