5 death crash in Rialto I10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: 5 death crash in Rialto I10

Hadn't heard about this til this AM from a family member. Don't know what caused it, but always the possibility that a truck driver fell asleep. That stretch of the 10 is straight for awhile, which can be the final straw that helps you doze off behind the wheel. At any rate, I hear he survived while 5 others died.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-rialto-deadly-truck-crash-20180216-story.html
==

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-rialto-five-dead-crash-20180217-story.html

Five people, all occupants of vehicles struck by the truck, were pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said. The truck driver, who was not identified, sustained only minor injuries and was not hospitalized, according to California Highway Patrol Sgt. Spencer Badal.

The cause of the crash remains unclear. The victims were severely burned, and none have been positively identified yet, Badal said.

The crash left several vehicles overturned and charred in the roadway, shutting down some lanes for more than 12 hours, authorities said. The freeway was not fully reopened until roughly 8 a.m. Saturday, Badal said.

CHP investigators will conduct a "full mechanical review" of the truck, but Badal said those hoping for answers will likely have to wait.

"Their report will take a considerable amount of time," he said.

The concrete truck was registered to Western Concrete Pumping, a company based in Vista in San Diego County, according to Badal. An employee who answered the phone at the company's office declined to comment. The company was formed in 1986 and does business in California, Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arizona, according to its website.

PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Terrible.

I remember just a few years back, I was working out of Commerce and the 605/10 (or maybe it was the 60) freeways were bumper to bumper and hardly moving at all. I was 2 hours late for work.

Turns out a very similar accident occurred during the very early morning hours.
I guess traffic had come to a stop but a truck driver had dozed off and went full speed into the stopped traffic. Frikkin sandwiched a few cars. Killed about 4 people instantly, including a little girl. I remember being pissed that I was late for work, but as we watched the news that day, I realized being a few hours late wasn't so bad.

Should trucks have their own dedicated lanes? Those things are runaway freight trains in instances like this.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

jesus vehicles charred to the ground....wonder if it was mechanical failure or human error (sleep, drugs)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: