Game of Thrones Creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to Write and Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Game of Thrones Creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to Write and Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-to-write-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Wondering if this is overload or a panic move to have something else just in case what Rian delivers doesn't grasp the audience like they want.

Either way it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Panic move. Kathleen Kennedy and Disney have completely started pouring gasoline on the fire. The books are terrible. While the movies are making bucks, there is a sense of diminishing returns along with diminishing quality. They've had to resort to director switches twice already. Battlefront II immediately received backlash over pay-to-play. Aspiring TV series aren't even at the launchpad while their animation series met a swift end.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject:

D&D are terrifyingly bad when given leash away from the source material. They took the Iliad and stuffed it with tropes because they didn't trust the intelligence of their audience. And we all saw what happened when they were left on their own in GoT.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Panic move. Kathleen Kennedy and Disney have completely started pouring gasoline on the fire. The books are terrible. While the movies are making bucks, there is a sense of diminishing returns along with diminishing quality. They've had to resort to director switches twice already. Battlefront II immediately received backlash over pay-to-play. Aspiring TV series aren't even at the launchpad while their animation series met a swift end.

I wouldn't say "panic". It's just a case of trying too damn hard . . . something that really works out well.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I've seen what these guys do when they're given the license to marionette a creative genius' intellectual property, and it's pretty bad.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

The Dark Side is coming.

I understand the urge to pump out a lot of Star Wars content, but this may be too much. Part of the allure of Star Wars was that there was so little of it. Even during the original trilogy, we had to wait a long time for the next movie. I've enjoyed the new flicks. I know some of you passionately disagree, and we don't need to rehash that discussion. But if we keep getting a new Star Wars flick every year, there will come a point at which I will probably lose interest.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

We definitely need more movies with less talking, more laser swords, blasters, space ships and men in oversized helmets.

I’m good with this. Give me one, once a month for the rest of my life and I’ll die happy.

Same goes for Super Hero movies. If it makes me feel like I’m a 13yr old, it’s worth my money and will never get old.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I've seen what these guys do when they're given the license to marionette a creative genius' intellectual property, and it's pretty bad.

Yeah I don't know. They were put in a really tough position. GRRM has tried for years to work out the plot in a way that actually makes sense and he's evidently failed, as starved ASOIAF fans are well aware. So I have some sympathy for them there.

But more so than bad plotting, what concerns me is the fact that they think in 2018, tropes like jumping into water and emerging unscathed and last second deus ex machinae are appropriate for a story which literally made its fame from subverting those tropes. That a nonsensical Winterfell plotline (which at some point I tried defending, ugh) is worth it for the shock value of the payoff. Their core writing sensibilities are just not very good.

That said, I also have a pretty low opinion of the Star Wars films and think D&D fit the whole spectacle of the franchise pretty well. (I did, however, really like Episodes 4 and 5.)
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject:

The further these Disney spinoffs move away from the original trilogy, the less people will care.
Disney is lucky there aren't alot of other space operas out there that can compete. Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Trek are the closest comps. But most good space movies are 1 offs (Interstellar, the Martian, Gravity, Apollo 13, Sunshine).
Disney can afford to pump out high budget space films every year. Maybe twice a year eventually. I imagine sooner or later it will feel too formulaic and audiences will shrink.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

Overexposure.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

I really like GOT, I find it entertaining and well done.

These two guys are obviously very good at what they do, but I am disappointed they would go the Star Wars route. As others have said, it just seems a little tired at this point, would have rather seen something more original personally.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

Haven't they been complaining about how long they've been on GOT and now that they're finishing they going to jump on another project that will be 6+ years. I guess in between movies they can work on other things though.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The further these Disney spinoffs move away from the original trilogy, the less people will care.
Disney is lucky there aren't alot of other space operas out there that can compete. Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Trek are the closest comps. But most good space movies are 1 offs (Interstellar, the Martian, Gravity, Apollo 13, Sunshine).
Disney can afford to pump out high budget space films every year. Maybe twice a year eventually. I imagine sooner or later it will feel too formulaic and audiences will shrink.

I think the best SyFy entertainment by is the current Expanse series by the SyFy network. Altered Carbon is looking real good to if the initial episode is any indication. The more quality entertainment is now found in limited series to my taste. Movies tend to make everything into a "car chase" . I think that is due in great part to the differing audiences.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: