Lakers fined 50K for Tampering with Giannis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

So Windhorst says tampering runs rampant in the NBA.

Sucks that the league is targeting us. But it's okay for Dan Gilbert give Lebron a seat for Ilguauskis' jersey retirement while he was still a Miami Heat. There was zero tampering involved with Lebron going back to CLE. 🙄
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
If it was not for the repercussion I wish the Lakers fight back in court. It was not Magic that brought the players name, he was asked about him and gave his praise. I know I should let this go, but it's just hard to swallow atm. Did Cuban get fined when he mention Kobe and amnesty. Did Jordan get fined when he comment about Lebron 3 is not better than Kobe's 5.

I'm still pissed off at the league for the CP3 trade, and the years I missed with those two combo's and the possible championship Kobe could have won.

Will be difficult to even take to court. These things are addressed in the NBA agreements with owners, players, etc.
+ Even if your rules state one thing. If you can prove that the cops allow the rules to be broken by everyone else but you...which is a pattern. Then you can sue on the grounds of bias.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
If it was not for the repercussion I wish the Lakers fight back in court. It was not Magic that brought the players name, he was asked about him and gave his praise. I know I should let this go, but it's just hard to swallow atm. Did Cuban get fined when he mention Kobe and amnesty. Did Jordan get fined when he comment about Lebron 3 is not better than Kobe's 5.

I'm still pissed off at the league for the CP3 trade, and the years I missed with those two combo's and the possible championship Kobe could have won.

Will be difficult to even take to court. These things are addressed in the NBA agreements with owners, players, etc.
+ Even if your rules state one thing. If you can prove that the cops allow the rules to be broken by everyone else but you...which is a pattern. Then you can sue on the grounds of bias.

In this case highly unlikely.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
So Windhorst says tampering runs rampant in the NBA.

Sucks that the league is targeting us. But it's okay for Dan Gilbert give Lebron a seat for Ilguauskis' jersey retirement while he was still a Miami Heat. There was zero tampering involved with Lebron going back to CLE. 🙄

Wouldn't be surprised if Gilbert is the one complaining about Lakers
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

On 710 this morning Ramona had a good point. She said the league wants Magic to be an ambassador of the game, so it's silly to punish him when he's talking as Magic the All-Time NBA great when asked about the performance of current players in comparison to him. That's typical two-faced NBA business. They want their cake and eat it too. Fine Magic, but link his interview on the front page of their website.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

Does anyone else secretly hope this is some kind of misdirection tactic in a conspiracy the NBA is involved with to bring some great stars to Los Angeles and return out franchise to glory in the best interest of the financial success of the league?
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Does anyone else secretly hope this is some kind of misdirection tactic in a conspiracy the NBA is involved with to bring some great stars to Los Angeles and return out franchise to glory in the best interest of the financial success of the league?

I know the league would love for the Lakers to return to greatness but I don't think they can be involved in a free agent conspiracy. The LA market sells itself and by continuing to promote the heck out of the Lakers, it will always be a spot that free agents will consider.

I do think its just a nonsense fine to make it look like they're being tough with the Lakers. At the end of the day, Giannis is saying he wants a sit down meeting with the Lakers president and if that only cost $50k, it is money well spent.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban fined $600K for public comments on tanking

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/02/21/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-fined-comments-tanking-official-release#/

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban fined $600K for public pro-tanking comments

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-fined-600k-for-public-pro-tanking-comments/
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers should appeal/fight the fine. Put it on record that they disagree with it.

At the same time, Magic has to be a little careful. But he and the Lakers should hold the League accountable if they feel they are being unfairly targeted. They can start by collecting data and details of all the tampering fines and circumstances around the league since the start of Magic's tenure. then present it when the time is right. I bet they can find bias against the Lakers in the data.

If the league is keeping an eye on the Lakers - the Lakers can do the same with the league.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
The Lakers should appeal/fight the fine. Put it on record that they disagree with it.

At the same time, Magic has to be a little careful. But he and the Lakers should hold the League accountable if they feel they are being unfairly targeted. They can start by collecting data and details of all the tampering fines and circumstances around the league since the start of Magic's tenure. then present it when the time is right. I bet they can find bias against the Lakers in the data.

If the league is keeping an eye on the Lakers - the Lakers can do the same with the league.

I don't know about this. Leave the complaining to us, Lakers fan. We don't need to be in the league's bad side (ala Mavs)
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

I don't know about this. Leave the complaining to us, Lakers fan. We don't need to be in the league's bad side (ala Mavs)

I think the tampering fine is complete BS as Magic should be allowed to continue to be a sports personality and reference point on BB in general, similar to Jordan and any other NBA legend, as long as he's not trying to tell players to consider the Lakers in the process.

That said, $50k isn't even a slap on the wrist, it's a pretend flick on the pinky finger. I think fighting the NBA on it would harm the Lakers more than they stand to gain, even if they win their $50k back.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:

There really isn't anything they can do. The Lakers are signatories to the NBA constitution, and thus have agreed that Silver has "final, binding, conclusive, and unappealable" power to make a determination of tampering.

Beyond that, tampering fines are relatively rare, so it would be difficult, if not impossible, to make a strong case based on data -- there simply isn't enough data. It would be more of a subjective "you're treating us differently than everyone else" eye of the beholder thing.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Magic crossed the line with Kimmel interview. That started the whole thing. I have seen Jeannie say she can't talk about players when asked about free agency by the media for years. So yea, it's his fault and these fines are nothing. He better be careful rather than continue to act clueless. Many teams tank, but Cuban just got fined for running his mouth.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Magic crossed the line with Kimmel interview. That started the whole thing. I have seen Jeannie say she can't talk about players when asked about free agency by the media for years. So yea, it's his fault and these fines are nothing. He better be careful rather than continue to act clueless. Many teams tank, but Cuban just got fined for running his mouth.

Jeanie co-hosted on Mason and Ireland yesterday and she specifically said Lebron James and then said “whoops I probably shouldn’t have said that.”

It was nothing about him playing in LA, but she still said his name. She also said Larry Nance, who while is a former Laker but now with the Cavs.

They need to make it a black and white rule. This gray area makes it seem like whenever someone complains (i.e., small markets complaining about the big bad Lakers) is when a fine is levied.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:

The Lakers tamper, get warned by the league but tamper again and get fined. The league calls them in and tells them not to talk about players on another team. Of course, they can’t help themselves and proceed to do just that, and get another slap on the wrist fine. Pretty cut and dried, we have to hope that the FO has learned before another mistake could cost us something valuable.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Do you honestly question the financial success of the league? Every franchise is worth at least a billion dollars, the league has never been stronger.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Been my feeling as well.

I somehow get the feeling, Silver is onboard.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11
Jump to: