Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Is it just me or football seems like its suffering from a slow death?

Every sport is cyclical. The NBA suffered during the cocaine era and again during the slowdown era. Baseball had some bad patches, especially after the lockout fiasco. Hockey almost went broke.

The NFL had a boom during the fantasy bubble. It is struggling with the concussion issue. For the time being, I think the NFL is fine. It’s just going through a cycle.

yes...I recall 15 years or so ago, Nascar was the golden child of growth....it could do no wrong. Women, West Coast, hipsters, and everyone else was starting to watch the sport. It probably made a few mistakes....some major names left the sport, and now ratings are way down. At some point there will be another Dale Earnhardt or Dale Earnhardt Jr., and a few good business decisions will lead to a growth phase again.

Football's low is still higher than everyone else's high in the United States.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Cowboys traded their 2019 1st round pick to Oakland for Amari Cooper. Steep price IMO. The Cowboys pick is currently #8.

Whoa.. nice trade for the silver and black. Not sure Amari will aid the Cowboys significantly. Their issues extend way beyond the receiver position.

Also, surprised that Jerry would give up a 1st for Cooper. But didn't want to give up a 2nd for Earl Thomas. Signs of a desperation move imo.

Totally.

I don't think the Raiders should have moved Mack, but when they did, it became clear that they were essentially rebuilding. So if that's the case, getting a 1st for Cooper is a great move. They really should just go all-in and deal Carr now, too. They are going to have three 1st round picks in '19 and two in '20. Try to get a 1st from the Jaguars for Carr, that's what I'd do.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yes...I recall 15 years or so ago, Nascar was the golden child of growth....it could do no wrong. Women, West Coast, hipsters, and everyone else was starting to watch the sport. It probably made a few mistakes....some major names left the sport, and now ratings are way down. At some point there will be another Dale Earnhardt or Dale Earnhardt Jr., and a few good business decisions will lead to a growth phase again.

Same with the UFC, though not as dramatically.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

the problem is the game is catering too much to fantasy football (which I love).

it's not fun to watch a game where you're just waiting for a flag to come out. i get tired of watching games seeing a big play and then looking to see if it actually count because they may be a flag.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
nickuku wrote:

the problem is the game is catering too much to fantasy football (which I love).

it's not fun to watch a game where you're just waiting for a flag to come out. i get tired of watching games seeing a big play and then looking to see if it actually count because they may be a flag.

The rules have swung way too far in favor of the offense and the QB's are playing flag football now.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

If I were a 1-5 coach, the last thing I would do is go for 2 when the score is 20-12 with 4 minutes left.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
If I were a 1-5 coach, the last thing I would do is go for 2 when the score is 20-12 with 4 minutes left.

You know, it's an interesting call. Analytics/win probability actually favor the move, as strange as it may sound. The logic is that it's a 50/50 play, the 2-point conversion (the success rate is actually 47%). So if you make it, now you have just heavily swung the win probability in your favor if you happen to get the ball back and score another TD, as just kicking the PAT will give you a 1-point victory. And if you don't make it, it's another 50/50 shot on the 2-point play to tie it up if you do get the ball back and score a TD. In short, the odds say you'll make one of the two 2-point plays, but if you make the first one, now you can win the game outright with 7 more points.

It's an aggressive call for sure, but I can't say it's illogical.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

^^^^That's what I thought. Playing for the win with the 2 point conversion option there for the win and the tie. Both predicated getting a stop and scoring a TD. Pat Shurmur's days are numbered in NY.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
^^^^That's what I thought. Playing for the win with the 2 point conversion option there for the win and the tie. Both predicated getting a stop and scoring a TD. Pat Shurmur's days are numbered in NY.

I don't question going for the 2 pts as much as I question putting it in the hands of Eli when you've got an absolute stud playmaker in the backfield. OBJ got credited for the drop but he had his man sealed on that route. All Eli had to do was throw it away from the defender and OBJ has an easy catch.

If Shurmer does get canned I hope they fire the OL coach as well. They highlighted some plays where Nate Solder wasn't blocking anyone and his defender had a clear shot on the QB.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't question going for the 2 pts as much as I question putting it in the hands of Eli when you've got an absolute stud playmaker in the backfield. OBJ got credited for the drop but he had his man sealed on that route. All Eli had to do was throw it away from the defender and OBJ has an easy catch.

If Shurmer does get canned I hope they fire the OL coach as well. They highlighted some plays where Nate Solder wasn't blocking anyone and his defender had a clear shot on the QB.

Atlanta was playing 8 in the box. Stop the video at the beginning, make the count. They had held Saquon to 43 yards on 14 carries. By calculation that's about 3 yards per carry. Maybe they should have used Barkley. The ball was marked just inside the 2 yard line. Actually, Odel dropped the ball. It hit him in the hands. Should'a been 2. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Atlanta was playing 8 in the box. Stop the video at the beginning, make the count. They had held Saquon to 43 yards on 14 carries. By calculation that's about 3 yards per carry. Maybe they should have used Barkley. The ball was marked just inside the 2 yard line. Actually, Odel dropped the ball. It hit him in the hands. Should'a been 2. LINK

OK. You're probably right about running the football with the defense stacked against the run but I still don't agree about whose fault it was on that missed two point conversion. If Eli had thrown the ball towards the post instead of inside OBJ could have secured it before the DB had a chance to make a play on it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

OK. You're probably right about running the football with the defense stacked against the run but I still don't agree about whose fault it was on that missed two point conversion. If Eli had thrown the ball towards the post instead of inside OBJ could have secured it before the DB had a chance to make a play on it.

Yes, the pass was slightly behind him. Eli can't put it on target all the time. Odell is a professional. Beckham is the highest paid receiver in the NFL. He's paid to make those kinds of catches. Especially when the game is on the line. Look at the video. The ball hit him in the hands. OK the defender made a swipe at it. I liken it to a batter swinging and missing but the catcher makes the catch because the trajectory doesn't change. IMO Odell should have made that catch.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

Bentsen wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22370038/49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-agree-5-year-1375m-deal

Jimmy G, 5 years 137.5 million...wow!

Thanks for the link.

I was most impressed by the italicized, underlined. Unlike the NBA the NFL doesn't usually give great guarantee contracts.

Quote:
The Niners announced Thursday they have signed Jimmy Garoppolo to a five-year contract extension through the 2022 season. Sources confirmed to ESPN the deal is for $137.5 million, including $86.4 million guaranteed in the first three years, making it the largest three-year total in NFL history.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Down 15 in the 4th quarter with a 4th and 4 from the 28 or so, Adam Gase just opted for a FG. Unreal.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject:

And to add to my above post, they punted down 19 with 6 minutes left from their own territory on 4th and long. OK, fine, you've given up. I think that's BS, but ok, you've given up, and maybe you just want to get out of there without any more injuries and whatnot. Only then...he called his timeouts on defense on the next series for Houston, including using his final challenge (which was unsuccessful).

Just absolutely freaking brutal.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This decision will come back to haunt the Colts if it turns out that the tie would have gotten them into the playoffs. The difference between starting 1-3 and 1-2-1 could be crucial. *cough* Meanwhile, we will look back on this in a few months and see that this was the start of my Texans' unlikely march to our first Super Bowl title. *cough* What a gift!

Obviously, I was joking when I wrote that. The Texans are a mediocre team with a solid defense and an offense that is spotty at best. Still . . . if current scores hold, the Texans will be tied for first in the AFC South tomorrow morning. Jacksonville and Tennessee are major disappointments.

And just like that, the Texans are alone in first place in the AFC South and are in position to make the playoffs. That’s just too weird.

Well, alrighty. 5-3. I saw that coming. Sure thing. It was obvious.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Dolphins have turned into a .500 team ever since they got manhandled by the Patriots.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Dolphins have turned into a .500 team ever since they got manhandled by the Patriots.

They were remarkably lucky to be 3-0, and they are showing who they are in this recent stretch where they've lost 4 of 5. Were lucky to beat the Bears, too, for that only win of the past 5 games.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This decision will come back to haunt the Colts if it turns out that the tie would have gotten them into the playoffs. The difference between starting 1-3 and 1-2-1 could be crucial. *cough* Meanwhile, we will look back on this in a few months and see that this was the start of my Texans' unlikely march to our first Super Bowl title. *cough* What a gift!

Obviously, I was joking when I wrote that. The Texans are a mediocre team with a solid defense and an offense that is spotty at best. Still . . . if current scores hold, the Texans will be tied for first in the AFC South tomorrow morning. Jacksonville and Tennessee are major disappointments.

And just like that, the Texans are alone in first place in the AFC South and are in position to make the playoffs. That’s just too weird.

The Colts would be a waste of a playoff spot....

That being said the Texans are similar to Purdue started off 0-3 and have gotten a groove ever since.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

You're talking to yourself. I'm worried about you. I'll talk to Nurse Ratched about putting you on the rTMS treatment list.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Talking to yourself is nothing. Having a conversation with yourself is different, especially when you have three or more participants.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
That being said the Texans are similar to Purdue started off 0-3 and have gotten a groove ever since.

Well, not exactly.

Week 4 — The Indy coach decides to go for it.

Week 5 — The Dallas coach decides to punt.

Week 6 — The Buffalo coach decides to run the two minute offense with Nathan Peterman.

We could have been 0-6, or maybe 0-3-3 or something like that.

Week 7 — We hit Jacksonville as they implode.

Week 8 — The Miami defense takes an unscheduled bye week.

We are 5-3. I won’t be surprised if we finish 8-8 or worse. Of course, that might win the division.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

^
Seriously, 8-8 could do it. J'ville seems to be imploding a bit, the Titans have no offense, and while I'd be encouraged about my team's direction if I were a Colts fan, they are at least a year away from real contention for the division.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Seriously, 8-8 could do it. J'ville seems to be imploding a bit, the Titans have no offense, and while I'd be encouraged about my team's direction if I were a Colts fan, they are at least a year away from real contention for the division.

If they don't start protecting Luck they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

I like Andrew Luck, but I don't think he'll ever become an elite QB. He's good, for sure, but he's closer to Dalton (who I think is underrated) and Newton than to Goff or Mahomes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 44 of 106
Jump to: